Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Very keen to see how this one goes now that post-regeneration wackiness is out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No more of this Cass bullshit for THIS Doctor!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I like this guy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is a very promising start.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"That wasn't a metaphor."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Imagine the worst thing in the universe and then don't bother because this is it."

I love this new Doctor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is this technically Dalek Nihilism? Is this Dalek Nietzsche?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God yes this is fantastic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Are you out of your mind?"
"No I'm inside a Dalek!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is so much better than last week, if only from a consistency standpoint.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahahaha of course it would take the worst possible message from this

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy shiiiiiit

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that's going to be awkward with her uncle now

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that was brilliant, wonderful to finally have another good Dalek episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

The best part of the episode:

When the Doctor is trying to change Rusty, he TOUCHES TWO STRANDS TOGETHER.

Yeah, loved that.

Plenty of neat allusions to the classic series, and also straight up references such as how his first trip to Skaro was part of what set him on the course to become the person he is today (at that point the name "the Doctor" was pretty much just a misunderstanding on Ian and Barbara's part).

It's a good thing Journey kissed her uncle goodbye instead of saying,"SEEYA LATER SHITLORD!" since she had to come skulking back about 30 seconds later :)

Also I dig Mr. Pink, though they had to rush his introduction a bit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ConanThe3rd posted:

So, given what was shown, I'm sure that "Missy" is The Rani.

I still say she's The Nightmare Child, based on absolutely nothing beyond the fact that I'm utterly convinced this is the case for no reason I can even understand myself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ewe2 posted:

It's like they let an adult write the script for a change.

Phil Ford is 2 for 2 when it comes to co-writing. He wrote Waters of Mars with RTD and now this with Moffat. By himself he wrote.... the Doctor Who Adventure Games :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Muppetjedi posted:

I do like the idea that he went for coffee at the end of the previous episode... then got distracted and has been carrying these 2 cups of coffee throughout a load of future big finish stories.

Given the direct continuity between Time of the Doctor and Deep Breath, I wonder if her confused family got a call from her several hours after she and her naked boyfriend ran out the door on Christmas Day, saying,"Help I'm in Glasgow!"?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burkion posted:

First and foremost-the gently caress good is a single good Dalek going to do? What can a single good Dalek DO to change the universe?

What can any single person do to change the universe? The Doctor isn't concerned with the functional application of a good Dalek, he's concerned with proving to himself that the Daleks don't have to be an absolute. This is far more about himself than the Daleks, he NEEDS to know that there is some hope they can be changed for the better, that being evil isn't an absolute or that there can ever be no hope. Every single time he lets himself fall into cynicism over the Daleks is a victory to THEIR way of thinking, and every time he claws back and holds out hope (ala the 4th Doctor in Genesis) it is a victory for HIS way of thinking - the notion that there is hope, that nobody is beyond salvation.

Yes, in the end the Dalek took the wrong message from their merging of the minds and simply changed it chosen target of hatred, but the Doctor once again rejected the idea that it isn't possible for the Daleks to eventually be saved/changed. He accepts now that there is a possibility, no matter how remote.

Yes "good" Daleks have popped up throughout the years and usually (the human Daleks in Evil are the biggest exception I think) been murdered by their own kind or otherwise died. But the fact that they do keep turning up in spite of all this is what gives the Doctor hope against the crushing wave that is the Daleks' supposed intractability. Like "Rusty" said - life prevails.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Harlock posted:

The episode totally felt like an RTD era episode and for that I liked it.

There was a lot of Rusty in it! :haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Into the Dalek gifs

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 31, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Great episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Comfy Chairs posted:

Meet Merlin? Who do you think Merlin was? Timeless magician turning up out-of-the-blue (box) and manipulating history?

This actually happens in Battlefield, the villain says that despite changing his face she still recognizes him as Merlin, and the Doctor figures out that she was defeated earlier in her life by an incarnation later in his own!

Unless it was the Meta-Crisis Doctor on his way to locking himself into a tree to get away from Rose....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Speaking of the power ranger Daleks, I recall one of the reasons being put out for why they were designed (the real reason was merchandising potential) is because Karen Gillan was taller than Billie Piper, and the previous model had been designed to be at her eye level. So I was glad to see this:

The Doctor and Clara are both taller than the Dalek and it doesn't make it any less menacing (to me, anyway).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Autonomous Monster posted:

I don't know if you've ever seen John Boorman's Excalibur (which I adore), but the Merlin Nicol Williamson plays in that might as well be the (10th? 11th?) Doctor in personality as well, chewing any scenery in sight and bouncing around like an overexcited child. It's great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjsiGd8iAfs

God I love this movie so much, thanks for reminding me of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Potooweet posted:

episode is bad.

Okay this is the first negative post re: the episode I've seen, so according to Doctor Who thread history we should be getting somebody to pop in here any moment to complain about the relentless negativity permeating the entire thread.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, and this isn't really a complaint, just an observation: has anyone noticed that Capaldi Doctor isn't as physically active as Tennant and Smith? They avoid showing him running or climbing for obvious reasons. I don't mind, Capaldi is amazing, but it is kind of noticeable how some of the action directing is having to work around him.

I noticed the same thing, it seems for these early episodes at least they've decided to write the Doctor as physically active as the most recent "young" Doctors and just film around it. Capaldi is still very spry and they can easily play up his physical agility without having to have him handstand-surfing a horse galloping underneath a Sontaran battleship.

LividLiquid posted:

Y'know, I'm getting a little tired of this relentless negativity!

I'm gonna edit a Dalek stalk coming out of your avatar's hat! :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm not even sure I buy into the "weaknesses" thing, really. A healthy 56-year-old-man in 2014 is a far cry from a 55-year-old former boxer with arteriosclerosis in 1963 in terms of physical capability.

Well I'd say it's why he wrote it in quotation marks. It's not a weakness, but it's certainly not a strength and it is silly to include sections that play up that aspect of the character when there are so many excellent strengths he does have that should be getting focused on.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Even though I still hate with a passion the "path-web" concept introduced so casually as a given thing in Asylum of the Daleks, I appreciated that in this episode some effort at least went into explaining how it works without turning the Daleks into robots. Clara didn't so much delete the information on the Doctor as she suppressed the memories of all the Daleks involving him and made sure any relevant information on him in actual secondary computer databases was removed.

It's still really goddamn stupid as a concept (we can presume all the Daleks who learned about him at Trenzalore in Time of the Doctor were killed and didn't upload anything to their "servers"?) but at least I find it somewhat more palatable now.

Of course thinking too deeply about these things is how you end up getting people writing novels explaining why the scrapyard sign was spelled wrong in Remembrance of the Daleks, so I tend to just try and ignore it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

So since the army girl sacrificed herself for the Doctor, she ends up in paradise with Missy. I'm guessing half-face jumped on his own.

Missy says herself to Half-Face Man that she doesn't know for certain whether he jumped or was pushed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The reason it doesn't bother me that this episode retreads a lot of well-travelled ground is... ...Dalek is kiiiinda ropey on rewatch. The central scenes with Eccleston are, yes, utterly brilliant, but everything around it is pissweak- the side characters, the set dressing- even the action pales in comparison to what we had tonight. The entrepreneur character is especially bad, and very nearly ruined the whole thing for me the first time around.

Agreed. The good bits are so good that they're all most people think of (myself included) but when you rewatch it, so much of the stuff AROUND the Dalek and the Doctor is really awful. This take on a similar story isn't perfect by any means, but it feels in general like there is just a higher standard to EVERY scene. Of course, for me nothing will ever quite match the chill I got seeing that eye light up in the dark and that voice start screeching when I first watched Dalek, mostly because it was 17 years since the last proper* Daleks had appeared in an episode of Doctor Who :allears:

The adorably squeaky off-screen Daleks in the TV movie don't count :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

More action!
More excitement!
More Daleks getting killed in very loud explosions!

It didn't come across in the final edit, but in the script "Rusty" decides to go on that killing spree because the other Daleks are singing a song. :haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PassTheRemote posted:

I need a gif of the Doctor kicking open the TARDIS door.

Done and added in with the others.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jivjov posted:

So...one question, weren't all the Time War style Daleks killed off by the New Paradigm ones? What was the point of Victory of the Daleks explicitly introducing the new Dalek redesign if we're just gonna keep trotting out the old ones? It made sense in Day of the Doctor, since we were in the Time War, but we keep seeing the wrong Daleks...

The rewrote it so that those big Daleks were like the new supreme council or whatever, but were producing their own Dalek-soldiers with the previous models. Then gradually just stopped using the new ones entirely because:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The new daleks are shite and everyone has realised it

I guess technically you could argue that somewhere tucked away on New Skaro or a tucked away heavily fortified spaceship or something those Daleks are still around safeguarding Dalek genetic purity in the event of a catastrophe or something. But really, once again, the answer is because:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The new daleks are shite and everyone has realised it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

How does everyone feel about the idea of exploring the Doctor's childhood? Would you like to see his mum and dad or the house he grew up in? Would you like to explore the dynamic and events that made him leave Gallifrey?

I think it would be awful and a huge mistake. For one thing, it's far better left to the viewer's imagination - no matter how good or bad an "origin" story would be, it would still be one particular person's defining of the character and we all know that none of us would be able to agree whether that was right or not.

For the second matter, the character of the Doctor - the traits we've come to identify him with: fearlessness, compassion, hope, a strong streak of anti-authoritarianism etc - would be mostly absent in any "origin" story, or at least any accurate origin story. We've already seen how the Doctor came to be the way he is, through his interactions and growing friendship with Ian and Barbara which started the long run of companions who grounded him and gave him a largely human moral compass. A child Doctor with those same traits would beg the question of what, if any, impact humans have had on his personality and values. If the child Doctor was completely different to the Doctor we know now.... then what is the point beyond cashing in on the license?

Thirdly, you'd have to either give him a name (stupid) or come up with a dumb nickname ala Theta Sigma to use all the time instead (even stupider).

Basically, the one time I'm aware of that any "official" Doctor Who thing tried to explore the youth of the Doctor beyond a cursory line or two was in Master by Big Finish, which was loving terrible and a great example of why this type of story should never, ever be done. Even on the remote chance that the story was actually good (which it probably wouldn't be), it would still be a mistake to make it since by defining what his childhood/life before leaving Gallifrey was, it immediately limits the possibilities of what it could have been in the individual viewer's mind.

Rochallor posted:

This was one of the things I loved about the introduction of the Dalek Parliament in Asylum. It basically just facilitates mass shouting of agreement. There's no debate, the honorable gentleman from Skaro just starts shouting about killing people and everybody starts agreeing with him.

The Chief Whip must be so bored, nobody ever needs to be forced to tow the party line. Also there is only one party. Like you, that's why I love the Dalek Parliament so much :allears:

Rewatching the episode now, and these blackboards in the TARDIS have caught my eye. The Doctor was doing Mathsy-Wathsy stuff when he woke up in the Paternoster house, too. At the time, I figured he was just trying to figure out the dinosaur stuff, but maybe he's working on something long term? :tinfoil:

Or it's just Twelve's schtick, I don't know.

I pondered that myself, though I think it's more likely to be the latter than the former... at least for now.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 31, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TinTower posted:

YOU. MIGHT. THINK. THAT. I. COULDN'T. POSSIBLY. EXTERMINATE.

DADDDDDDDYYYYYYYYYY!
_______/

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Speaking of Big Finish, are there any rumors or word on Matt Smith doing any 11th audio stories?

Big Finish doesn't have the license for anything involving the revival series, so there is no point in even talking to those actors (I think they might even be prohibited from talking to them at all?) - otherwise we'd be onto season 4 or 5 of The Tenth Doctor Adventures by now, with each season consisting of 25+ episodes and all of them written by Tennant.

I think the only exception came during the 50th when Big Finish was tangentially involved in some Revival stories narrated by companions? And when Big Finish has very carefully blurred the lines by taking a character introduced in a revival-era book tie-in and brought them into the Big Finish range.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Also that Lady is totally the loving Valeyard.

Dream Lord: Look look, I even dressed up as one of those "quirky" ladies you seem to love carting around with you like you were Truman Capote :jerkbag:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pigbog posted:

He should already remember that he was there, so he knows that he'll have to do that, right? wasn't the implication that 11 remembered the events of Time of the Doctor? And if so, why didn't he realize he's going to regenerate in Day of the Doctor?

The General and his staff spot his TARDIS, there's no indication that any of the other Doctors (who were pretty busy at the time!) did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burkion posted:

Hell even if they did, they might have just thoguht it was ANOTHER Seventh Doctor showing up to hog the glory.

Haha, in fact don't they show an older and younger version of the 7th Doctor during that section? :haw:

• Locked thread