Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I sure am tired of all these Whos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
One thing I have noticed with Capaldi. He made a point when he regenerated on how to fly the Tardis, but Capaldi seems to be a perfect Tardis pilot.

Im not sure about this episode, I need to see it again. But so far, 12 just isn't cutting it for me.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yes, because he'd just regenerated and his head was still screwed up, hence the crashing. The Doctor's usually a bit loopy after regeneration to varying degrees, I'm sure he remembered how to do it once his brain settled down.

12 pilots the Tardis nicely, lands smoothly, everything works. With 9, 10, and 11 piloting it was always wonky. Rough landings, being thrown around the console room at take off etc.. Surely you have noticed Capalidis finesse?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I have just re-watched Robot of Sherwood and I have finally found out what it is I don't like about the new Doctor. And that is Peter Capaldi.

He is not the Doctor. I don't relate to him as the Doctor. He doesn't act like the Doctor. He is not the Doctor. There is nothing Doctorish about him in any sense shape or form.

This distresses me considerabley because I have loved all the Doctors since NuWho, and enjoy even really lovely episodes (fear hear I liked, Love and Monstors I DID NOT).

I really dislike Doctor 12 so much, and its not through want of trying. There is nothing I like about this series and out of five of us in my family who are avid Who fans, there is only one who actually likes Doctor 12. I wonder if that's a statistic where viewing audiences are concerned. 1 in 5 who likes him can equate to 4 out of 5 who no longer watches.

And I will watch things that are enjoyable, not out of a life long obsession induced fan loyalty.

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 7, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

thexerox123 posted:

Out of the 12 Doctors, how many have you watched?

Im 42, ive watched Who since Pertwee, whats your point?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

PriorMarcus posted:

Why does that matter? He's not going to go and watch the first 40 years to appreciate Capaldi and he shouldn't have to.

I think its a valid question. Im a life long fan, but I don't enjoy Capaldi, I don't know why, but I just cant connect to him like I have the others.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

AndyElusive posted:

This happens with the audience after every regeneration, right? The audience goes through this really crazy shift because the main character goes through it as well. Doctor Who never seemed like a show that doesn't mind losing a portion of its audience due to a new actor taking over the protagonist because it has always gained new ones as well as maintaining their core fans.

This is what bothers me.
I took to 9 as a new Doctor who has history we have yet to learn. I took to 10 at a time when I thought 9 had so more more to give us, more stories to tell. I took to 11 immediately and became the ultimate Doctor to me when I thought I would absolutely hate the guy. 12. Well 12 I don't know. Its like Capaldi isn't even trying to act like the Doctor, he just playing some guy with a magic box who happens to be called the Doctor. Its not working for me.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

marktheando posted:

In what way is he not acting like the Doctor? Could you be specific?

Actually no I cannot. He just does not work for me, isn't that enough?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

marktheando posted:

Well you can like or dislike whatever you want. But it doesn't really make for interesting discussion if you can't give a reason.

I just don't want go through pages of 'your obviously not a real fan' 'your opinion sucks' 'you don't know what your talking about' 'I actually really hate him too but im so biased I will convince myself hes loving great' type arguments. I don't like him, he doesn't work for me, surely this is enough.

Im so sorry Whovians but you do have to admit that Capaldi is a bit poo poo.

EDIT

AndyElusive posted:

Try not to get too annoyed if people who do enjoy Capaldi want to understand your point of view more, if just for the sake of discussion.

Please don't confuse my irritation with being irritated at forum posters. Im irritated with myself because I am such a huge Who fan for so many years of my life, and I am suddenly faced with an internal rejection of something I have always immensely enjoyed. Its not a pleasant feeling.

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 7, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

jng2058 posted:

Why? If you can't explain why you dislike him, what compels me to agree with you "argument"? :rolleyes:

I don't want you to agree with my argument, im just telling you how I feel. If you enjoy Capaldis Doctor then that's brilliant. You obviously have seen something in him that I have yet to see and wish I could. I don't want you to change your opinion, im just telling you mine.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

AndyElusive posted:

...I guess my point is, you can still enjoy the show even if you don't like The Doctor.

I guess that's why opinions are like having a poo poo. Everyone elses stink except yours.

And to be honest, ive hated 2 out of the three episodes so far. Into the Dalek was quite enjoyable but the other two were complete loving tripe, so make that vitriol towards not only the character, the actor, make it the show too!

:ssh: this is why im upset

PriorMarcus posted:

Matt Smith will forever be the Doctor that was the biggest missed opportunity.

Matt Smiths Doctor I feel went downhill as soon as Amy and Rory disappeared and Clara the One Dimensional Girl came aboard.

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 7, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

jng2058 posted:

Which I had no problem with until you said...

Because I don't have to admit that. At all. Because I don't agree with it. At all. :colbert:

And telling me that I do is as annoying to me as anyone else would be telling you how to feel. So if you want to vent about not liking Twelve as played by Peter Capaldi? Cool. Not everyone's going to like everything. I get that. But don't presume to tell me that your opinion reflects some kind of universal truth that the rest of us are compelled to agree with.

Im so sorry your so thin skinned.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Psybro posted:

I imagine this is how it felt to people when Tom Baker, who was the Doctor, was replaced by the guy from All Creatures Great and Small.

Forgive me if im wrong here, but I thought All Creatures Great and Small was years after he was the Doctor.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

jng2058 posted:

I'm sorry you can't articulate. :shrug:

This must be whats its like if I said Captain Janeway was the best Captian in a Star Trek forum.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Decius posted:

Matt Smith is my favourite Doctor (and Capaldi right behind him), but I agree. Clara and he never really worked well (since they gave her zero personality). However she works well with 12 (because they gave her a personality).

Unfortunately the Doctor has no personality now, except 'angry old man'. Matt Smith was great because with every episode I knew there was a chance of great acting, where we would go through a roller coaster of emotion acting. A very old man in a young mans body was unbelievably well acted by Smith. In nearly all of his run he would go through a myriad of emotions and proved himself to be a quality actor. Yeah there were some stinkers, but my god if the scene called for emotion, Smith delivered.
Capaldi is just a one dimensional grumpy old man. He is just a blank face with an intense glare and brooding eyebrows. And so far that's all he has acted. Doctor 12 is emotionless apart from angry and irritable, and I though he got over that when he was Doctor 9.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, Smith was never the problem, it was the writing.

And this is my current predicament as I feel Capaldi is the problem in my opinion goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Potsticker posted:

Robot of Sherwood would've been fabulous with Six and Evelyn.

You spelt Eleven wrong.

• Locked thread