Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

This thread is sponsored by South Coast Mitsubishi ™

And dope rear end tuxedo jackets

:siren: Regardless of how I or anyone else feels about streams and other not totally on the level ways of watching this fight, please do not post them in this thread :siren:

How to watch:
http://indemand.com/product/view/467815 - Pay Per View
http://www.fathomevents.com/event/mayweather-vs-maidana-2-live - Select movie theaters
Call your local Buffalo Wild Wings/Hooters/Tilted Kilt/other sports bar cause they might be showing it I guess

On May 15th 2004 the undisputed pound-for pound king of boxing stepped into the ring for a rematch of the toughest fight of his career looking to silence critics who claimed he was not the same after career of brilliance. Eight months earlier the champion claimed he simply had an off night and would easily dispatch his opponent if the latter was fortunate enough to get the chance. The challenger was defiant, declaring himself the winner as well as the people’s champion and promised to leave no doubt next time.

Jim Lampley and Larry Merchant, Jones-Tarver 2 posted:

Jim Lampley: And down goes Jones! On a hard left hand. And that’s the worst that Jones has ever been hurt. Only Lou Del Valle has ever knocked him down. Jones may not get up and he makes it up.
Larry Merchant: It’s over!
Jim Lampley: Jay Nady stops the fight and Jones is still on Queer Street. And that’s amazing. What a statement by Antonio Tarver.
Larry Merchant: He said “what excuses do you have tonight Roy?” No excuses.
A little over 10 years later and about three quarters of a mile north on the Las Vegas Strip Floyd Mayweather Jr. faces Marcos Maidana for the second time in a row looking to write his own history and continue his reign as boxing’s undisputed pound for pound number one in the ring and at the box office.
For Maidana it’s a chance to make the leap from good to great, conquer the most visible villain in a sport where there’s no shortage and either in one instant like Tarver or over 36 minutes multiply his legend in boxing a hundredfold.

The principals

Mayweather-Maidana II will mark the fourth fight of Mayweather’s six fight deal with Showtime. In many ways the deal represents the sport at its best and worst. Showtime’s renewed commitment to boxing has given fans another outlet to see top fighters at a time when HBO is reducing its sports commitment for other programming. And frankly more money in the sport-however it gets there-is vital to keeping more of the best athletes in the ring and out of team sports or the mma cage. On the flip side, the Mayweather mega-deal has given many up and coming stars the impression that the way to stardom in the crowded sports landscape is to have a 0 on the right side of your ledger, no matter who it’s against which leads to tune up fights for tune up fights being passed off as legitimate competition. This is only compounded by the fact that the head of Showtime sports, Stephen Espinoza (a former Golden Boy lawyer) just cannot say no to whatever matchup he is offered to air.

When the history of boxing is written I believe Floyd Mayweather will certainly go down as one of the –but certainly not THE-best ever as he claims-but the narrative may well focus on the his transformation from Pretty Boy Floyd to Money Mayweather. How he managed to take a boxing style very unpalatable to the general public during a time when the sport’s popularity was heavily declining and still be the most well-paid athlete in the world.

Speaking only for Floyd as a boxer, the raw physical gifts which allowed him to destroy Diego Corrales and Arturo Gatti, are long gone but the otherworldly boxing acumen appears as sharp as it’s ever been. When he’s on as he was against Robert Guerrero and Canelo Alvarez, opponents will struggle mightily to land as they are expertly potshotted into submission and find their rare attempts at offense nullified by a textbook philly shell, eating counter shots as their reward. As action fighters prefer come forward opponents because it allows them to not have to deviate from their game plan, Mayweather prefers them not only because they tend to make sense from a business perspective but because they present someone who he can humiliate

Until Marcos Maidana came to Oxnard, California to train under former junior lightweight champion Robert Garcia his resume could be described as solid but just short of great. He began his career with 25 wins over regional competition before losing a controversial decision to Andreas Kotelnik in his first title fight. He managed to follow that up, however, with an amazing display of resiliency against Victor Ortiz (who at the time was thought of as the next Oscar De La Hoya). Overcoming three knockdowns and driving him to first meltdown; perhaps planting the first seeds of doubt in Ortiz’s mind as to whether or not he had the stomach to be a great fighter. Maidana would hit another roadblock against Amir Khan in December 2010 when he was dropped on vicious body shot in the first round but survived and confirmed suspicions about Khan’s chin but could not get the stoppage and lost a decision. After being shut out by Devon Alexander in February 2012 (following wins over Erik Morales and Petr Petrov), he joined Garcia’s camp and reeled off three straight stoppages including very durable opponents Jesus Soto Karas and Josesito Lopez and in December ‘13 found himself the first credible opponent for Adrian Broner in Broner’s expected march from sideshow to headliner. But then something totally unexpected and a little bit magical happened.

Still a come forward fighter against one of the greatest defenders in the sport seemed a mismatch and there was really no reason to think there would be any other outcome than a dejected opponent walking to his corner shaking his head wondering why, of all the fighters I’ve ever fought and hurt this one seemed so unhittable despite never rarely more than few inches from arm’s length. There was even more reason to think that Maidana’s “refined” brawling would work against him as he no longer appeared to have the reckless pressure that could be the only way to get that elusive puncher’s chance against Mayweather. Then he decided to tussle
From the opening bell Maidana swung wildly-and not very cleanly-at Floyd with rights and lefts that were coming from not only unorthodox angles but sometimes literally straight up and down. His partisans went crazy and the rest of the crowd who would normally be thinking about whether or not they would rather have Grey Goose or Ciroc at Hakkasan by round 3 was atypically enthralled. Predictably Maidana slowed down and Floyd began to get his timing down but he never ran away with the fight and the end the first Mayweather opponent since Castillo could claim that he won the fight and, though not with the same conviction as Castillo, not be totally laughed at. The post-fight interviews ended with Richard Schaefer-ironically about a month before being fired by Golden Boy himself-asking Maidana and Garcia “revancha?” (rematch), they answered in the affirmative, the rest of the Money Team/Golden Boy did their bean counting without any other lucrative or compelling alternative here we are.

La Revancha
Kenny Bayless will be referee for the fight and I only mention this first because of how much Tony Weeks inaction seemed to benefit Maidana when he was engaged in some of his more “questionable” tactics. True to form the Mayweather camp has been claiming that Maidana was dirty and that Weeks was a bad ref and should’ve taken points and blah. Bayless is one of the best referees in the sport and with Steve Smoger and Michael Griffin rarely working in the West the best choice possible for the bout. Whether he lets the pressure from the whole Money Team apparatus get to him or lets the fight unfold will probably have the most impact on how it plays out.

Floyd’s absolute train wreck of a personal life is a story again as Shantel “Miss” Jackson is suing Mayweather for, well, everything really. This is the same Miss Jackson who Mayweather claimed had an aborted their children with a post on Instagram two days before the first fight. He’s responded in typical Mayweather fashion and it’s both again showing everyone what a piece of poo poo he is and giving more publicity to the fight itself.

Another case of history repeating itself will be Glovegate ™. Despite being sanctioned by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (and almost all others besides) Maidana will not be allowed to use the Everlast MX gloves- which are made from a combination of foam and horse hair- and will instead be using Everlast Powerlock, made entirely of foam. Horsehair doesn’t protect fighter’s hands nearly as well as foam and as such they would be more subject to injury but they allow for much more punching power, certainly a tradeoff a puncher like Maidana is willing to make and a possible opportunity Mayweather won't give and has the promotional muscle to stop.

The undercard

Miguel Vazquez will debut in the Al Haymon stable-signed in a blue ribbon ceremony at a McDonald’s somewhere-defending his IBF lightweight belt against The Money Team’s Mickey Bey. Vazquez should box handily outbox Bey in the most aggravating way possible while the audience will be left terribly bored and asking for a refund of the past 36 minutes of their life. Leo Santa Cruz takes another great sideways leap against 50-1 underdog Manuel Roman. Santa Cruz is another example of boxing’s trend of regressing while not losing. Impressive stoppages of Alexander Munoz and Victor Terrazas had many thinking he was the next great sub-lightweight star. This was followed by less than inspiring performances against Cesar Seda and Cristian Mijares that have left him spinning his wheels but still thanking Al Haymon all the way to the bank while his true potential remains sadly untapped. Alfredo ‘Perro’ Angulo tries to put the debacle of his headline debut against Canelo Alvarez behind him when he makes his middleweight debut against James De La Rosa. Maybe it’s just because he comes across as a very likeable person but I’m more inclined to believe that Angulo just froze up against Canelo-who was also the superior fight regardless-than to see his performance as some indication that he is totally shot and see him adding to his highlight reel with a stoppage of De La Rosa.

On Showtime before the pay-per view begins; John Molina Jr. tries to keep the momentum going off his fight of the year showing against Lucas Matthyse when he taken on Humberto Soto. Hopefully it’s a third as awesome as Tomoki Kameda-Pungluang Por Singyu was.

My prediction
As we all know Floyd Mayweather is an awful human being. There’s an almost one hundred percent if you are reading this thread you want him to lose and lose badly like I do. And after what Maidana did in the first fight it is tempting to think that maybe Floyd’s legs-like Jones’s did 10 years ago-may finally be going and one good clean shot would be enough to hurt him enough to finally finish him off. As much as I would like to say that will happen I don’t see anything except a repeat of the middle rounds of the first fight with Maidana’s offense muted by a combination of an ultimately misguided gameplan throw more traditional punches, Kenny Bayless being more willing than Tony Weeks to interject himself in the fight and stop any roughhouse tactics and ultimately Floyd’s not peak but still the best right now by far boxing skill. Even with all of that Maidana will still grab a few rounds based on his skill, tenacity and willingness to throw at all times
Floyd Mayweather unanimous decision with average scores 117-111.

Random edits as I re-read for grammer/broken tags and such.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Reserved for...something. Maybe this is where any General Fall thread content will be.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Are people going to be on irc for this in #mma?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i think floyds gonna win easily because working guys out is his whole game really. if it's close though sign me up to the 'garcia for trainer of the year award' and/or 'floyd is shot' clubs

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God
Is Miguel Vazquez signing in a loving Burger King?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hype? I haven't really cared about this fight.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Bey pulls it off and rematches Molina for the title is what I'm looking for after tonight, but it's a long PPV a lot can happen.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The only Mayweather fight since Marquez that I've missed live was Maidana I and naturally it was the most exciting match of Floyd's career. Naturally I expect to see another whitewash tonight. War Chino!

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

first fight here if anyone has 45 minutes to kill and god knows i do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU_gOL2xgCM

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Wow Angulo.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Poor Perro. Dude is done as a relevant fighter. So much for the Cotto fight they were talking up.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Putting the zzzzz in Vazquez this fight.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The Ninth Layer posted:

Putting the zzzzz in Vazquez this fight.

loving snoozer is right.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

How long until Floyd?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

loving snoozer is right.

This is why the actual undercard for Floyd fights is whatever UFC event is playing that night

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

fatherdog posted:

This is why the actual undercard for Floyd fights is whatever UFC event is playing that night

seriously. start making the transition gentlemen

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Was that a bag of cash scorecard or what?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The Money Team. loving bullshit score.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
subtle

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The Ninth Layer posted:

The Money Team. loving bullshit score.

can you give me a synopsis of what's just happened?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Vazquez outboxed Bey in an uninspiring fight. Got robbed with a 119-109 score.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Vazquez outboxed Bey in an uninspiring fight. Got robbed with a 119-109 score.

oh wow

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
God drat, what a punch

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How far are we from the main event?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

LordPants posted:

How far are we from the main event?

it should be next

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

What the gently caress is Floyd wearing?? He loiks like he's about to cry.

Also lol this national anthem.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
What in the gently caress am I listening to here

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

beautiful sounds. i'm weeping gently

oilcheck my ass
Mar 8, 2006

Well, hello ladies.

fatherdog posted:

a mobster playing a wooden flute it appears

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
This is why nobody likes you Argentina.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fatherdog posted:

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

hahah after the flute there's still the anthem

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Also preemptive lol at the next national anthem.

Edit where the gently caress is Bieber?

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Jesus Christ it's like 8 minutes long

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001
Sharing the microphone for a flute duet was a great moment.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

No recorder? This makes the US anthem looks like a joke!

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Vamos vamos Argentina, vamos vamos a ganar :twisted:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
She should show up the Argentinians and sing all 4 verses of the Anthem.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Nothing in the rulebook says you have to take off your hood for the national anthem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Sky Shadowing posted:

She should show up the Argentinians and sing all 4 verses of the Anthem.

Please, no.

• Locked thread