Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Cowcaster posted:

Here we go. My thread is better because it used the right tag.

Grey forum rules apply in this, the official Games Forums Smash Brothers Thread for Smashing A Brother. Imp Zone thread for posting pictures of your dicks and complaining about King K. Rool is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662776 please keep the imp zone stuff in it. I will probably ban you if you say the words "King K. Rool". Thank you.

gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Cowcaster posted:

Do you feel lucky punk

What is the Bonzi's Buddies gangtag.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Echo Chamber posted:

It looks like it's on the eshop now.

Let's see how well Nintendo's servers handle it.

i already cant get on to the eshop

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
I'm not impressed.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
donkey kong fuckin wrecks

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Louisgod posted:

does anybody even play Donkey Kong as a non-joke character? Whenever I choose Donkey Kong it's in more of a "lol this should be funny" way than seriously playing him.

Your a piece of poo poo

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Does anyone else get the feeling that there is next to no content?

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So would anybody say that any characters in this game are "bad"? I mean so far they all seem very well balanced for how many fighters there are.

Samus

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Honestly, here's what they need to do.

-Bring back Ice Climbers
-Bring back Wolf
-Bring back Pichu
-Bring back Roy [Fire Emblem]
-Bring back Young Link
-Bring back Lucas
-Bring back Ivysaur
-Bring back Squirtle
-Bring back Mewtwo

It's loving staggering the amount of content that was cut from the game and yet people still think that this is somehow acceptable. On top of that, almost all of the "newcomers" have movesets based on already existing characters, and there is little to no actual content to play in the game itself other than basic Smash matches. I'm more than a little underwhelmed.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Rocketlex posted:

The single-player loot treadmill is worth the price of admission, in my opinion.

This is one of my biggest problems with the game. There is no consistent way to unlock special moves or costumes and almost all of the crap that you find is "power badges" junk or smash run custom moves. It's filled with useless clutter.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Suspicious Cook posted:

I'd have liked to see Mewtwo return over Lucario, but I'm not upset about anyone else that was cut. Roster owns. Game owns.

It's actually pretty loving pitiful, and most people are just too blinded by the hype-train to notice any of the game's many flaws. I can only hope that the Wii U version actually contains something to do.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Every other Smash Brothers before it at least had some sort of single-player content. Even playing Smash Run with my buds was a pretty mediocre experience - we stopped after one match, played a few rounds of stock, and everyone agreed "I feel like I'd rather just play Melee". In Melee you can at least play with items on - in this, they're over the top, wacky goofy unfair bullshit.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
To be totally and completely honest, if the Wii U version doesn't provide any other content than what's included in the 3DS version, there's no way in hell I'm going to buy it. I've already done everything there is to do.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Zahki posted:

I'm not really sure why you'd buy the Wii U version if you already own the 3DS version anyway. Thats taking Nintendo whoring a bit too far I think.

Presumably, they're going to have a new gamemode, or something to actually set it apart.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

RBA Starblade posted:

The online content barely works so jokes on you if you bought it for that too. As Samus I try to grapple on to a ledge and it shoots my flamethrower instead. How does it gently caress that up? How?

Not even going that far, the local multiplayer often seems to lag more than the online play does. It's incredibly frustrating. On top of that, the game itself somehow manages to feel even more hollow than Brawl did.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
I don't know. Rather than turn specific items on and off, and have to have every single player do it because it switches the rules to whoever loses the match, I'd still rather just play Melee if I'm hanging out with some friends. Most of the people I've talked to have largely found the game to be pretty dull, all things considered, and I'm surprised I haven't seen many people on here voice any sort of complaints whatsoever.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
I must have missed any of that, I skip over people's "Yipee! I was playing as Diddy kong and someone threw a bomb at me and mario picked it up and threw it back and it exploded in his face. Game owns." bullshit, annoying posts.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

The Gorp posted:

Aside from the incredibly occasional bad connection I haven't had a single problem with the online play, even less with local.
It might just be characters with fast inputs that cause problems. As a Gannon, Dedede, Palutena player I haven't missed a single input yet; but that's might just because they aren't the fastest at attacking.

I haven't experienced any problems with input lag, I think the main problem most people are experiencing is the game freezing up completely, just total connection lag. It happens in local play too and it makes the game more or less unplayable.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Dunban posted:

Are you being ironic here or are you actually that stupid?

I'm answering a question with a question here - but can you actually think of a valid response to my post, or are you just going to resort to namecalling?

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

bio347 posted:

I feel like... after six years of Brawl not being literally Melee, people would've been prepared for 3DS also not being literally Melee. And yet, here we are.

I had hoped for it to at least feel less hollow than Brawl did. It doesn't.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Dunban posted:

No you're right, the millions of people around the world playing and enjoying the game right now are all deluding themselves.

I'm not saying the game can't be fun or enjoyable. But anything can be enjoyable with friends, and the game itself has almost no actual content - there's nothing to DO in the game itself other than play with friends. That's my issue, I'm sure it's an issue with many others. You don't have to act like a loving rear end in a top hat just because someone else doesn't enjoy the game as much as you do.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

net cafe scandal posted:

I would sincerely recommend Project M to anyone else that's sick and tired of Sakurai's bullshit.

I've tried it out, and honestly it just feels janky and half-assed. There's a lot of things about it that I like, but I just can't get into it.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Suspicious Cook posted:

You can complain all you want but I just played a match where Little Mac used his KO punch on Pac Man's fire hydrant and knocked it into space. It came crashing down and actually hit Pac Man who put it there in the first place.

drat dude, that sounds epic. Epic win! Earlier I played a match where I blew my friend off the map with the wind item and he made the epic rage face IRL. I lolled my way into First place and then i let him play a few rounds of angry bird target smash while i made this post.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Macaluso posted:

Why are people still responding to bonzibuddy in this thread

I'm actually trying to have a legitimate discussion about the content of this game, and people I guess just don't agree with me and so write me off as 'trolling' or some poo poo. You can talk all you want about how fun it was that you threw a bomb and then Wario farted on it or whatever, but the game is pretty loving barebones.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Trilin posted:

You liked this? Like, not trying to be an rear end. The events in melee just felt like filler. It doesn't excuse the lacking content in 3ds but I just couldn't like events.

The events in melee were great unique challenges and had a lot more depth to them than "angry birds" and "knock the circle off the map,and you can only play it if you streetpass someone".

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

NTT posted:

The only people who don't like smash bros for 3ds are the ones with no loving friends irl to play it with

Sorry, but this is a really weak argument, dude. Not only is immediately resorting to "you just have no friends" a dumb post, but if you actually DID play local wireless play, it's even laggier than online network connections.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Brother Entropy posted:

The thing about Events or Break The Targets is that they're fun to play exactly once so in the long run it's not that big a deal that they're gone.

Much like the entirety of Smash Run.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

extra stout posted:

You've made the same angsty post eighteen times give it up already.

just because i've voiced my (real) opinion more than once doesn't mean i'm putting on a bit or anything. I'm sorry, but there are some serious glaring flaws with this game, whether you can see them or not.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Tucked In The Cut posted:

I've been reading this thread and you certainly do not like this game. Maybe you should play another game that you like instead? Of course, you can continue to be a bitch but I'm just trying to be constructive here

No, I've said that I don't think there is enough content to warrant playing it by yourself. It's fun enough to play with a few friends if the lag is tolerable (in most cases, it isn't), but there is next to no content or stuff to do by yourself. I've posted that and some people can't accept it, and either call me a troll or just flat out get angry at me over it.

If you think it's fun, great. I think it's fun to play with my friends, too. I think you're lying to yourself if you're blindly accepting the game as having no flaws, and ignoring them when they're pointed out.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
That's cool that you're enjoying the game. That doesn't change anything. Just because you're having fun running a barebones Smash Run by yourself over and over again to farm "custom badges" that will never see any use, doesn't change anything about the actual problems with the game. You can't just write off all of a games flaws because "well, I've played it for 8 hours".

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

im having fun with it

chill the gently caress out

Like I said earlier, I'm having fun playing with friends too. There's multiple people on here who agree with me that the game lacks content or stuff to do. You don't have to get pissy about it because you disagree with me - not everyone thinks that this 3DS incarnation of Smash Brothers is God's gift to man. Like I said, it's neat but ultimately pretty underwhelming. Maybe you're the one who needs to chill out if you're that upset over someone's internet video game criticism.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

You're talking about there being nothing to do in a game full of people who have been doing things in it for hours on end.

There are people who have spent thousands of hours in Bubsy 3D.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Davinci posted:

Is lack of content really a legit complaint since the game card is pretty much bursting apart at the seams as it is because of how much content there is? It's like complaining that your 1 liter drinking glass can't hold 2 liters.

Those are mainly art assets, though. When I say "content", I just mean "stuff to do". Hell, even the only two game modes you can play are Stock and Timed. What the gently caress happened?

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

no one played coin mode

smash run is basically adventure mode crammed into a randomized map and it's pretty fun even with bots

pretty much anything else that's missing that isn't a character/stage was something largely unused in previous titles so are you bitching just to bitch or what

No, I think you're just writing off all of my complaints and making them sound less legitimate than they are. Smash run is nothing like adventure mode, or event mode, or subspace emissary. The game is a barebones Smash engine and all we can do is hope that the Wii U version will actually include gameplay.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

PoPcornTG posted:

Do we know if events are returning for the Wii U version of the game? I always really enjoyed those.

I don't really think they've said anything yet with regards to different gamemodes in the Wii U version. I think they'll probably do something like that soon - they've probably just been quiet about that and the game's release date so they wouldn't detract from the 3DS sales.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Depends what you're looking for. SSBwiki might be a good place to start for general info, or maybe Youtube if there's something specific you wanted to see in action.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

FZeroRacer posted:

After playing a good amount of Smash 4 with friends, it's good but I don't think it'll top Melee or Project M for us. It's so close to being a solid game, but it has some issues that really drag it down. Doing a running jump still feels really weird without any carried momentum for example, and there are still a good amount of attacks that are punishable even if you hit someone with it. A lot of the stages aren't very good either, they tend to be more obnoxious than interesting or fun. Brawl's Pirate Ship is a good example of a fun stage that isn't too overbearing with the mechanics.

There's also some really weird options missing, like not being able to choose item spawn rate and all of the special melee matches are locked behind Smash Run instead of being an individual thing like in Brawl. I think Smash Run should've just been incorporated into a Melee-esque adventure mode instead of being a bad City Trial mode.

That said, at least Falcon plays well and a lot of the custom moves are neat so it's easily better than Brawl.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you across the board here. It's good, and it's better than Brawl, but I hope that the Wii U version will bring more features that this one is missing.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

TechnoSyndrome posted:

So I definitely haven't broken it, but does anyone else's Circle Pad feel more sluggish after playing a bunch of Smash 4? I feel like there's more resistance to it than there used to be, and takes a bit longer to return to the center when I let go. I haven't been tapping too hard, but even if I am I have no idea why that would make it feel stiffer instead of looser.

Yeah, I have the exact same problem. I kind of have to pull it upwards with my fingernail every now and then because it gets jammed and doesnt revert to a neutral position.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

CatsPajamas posted:

Note the gang tag. It means "Ignore Me."

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't see how voicing my actual, real concerns with the game in here is an "act", especially when the people arguing against me are saying the exact same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Getsuya posted:

Don't feel bad Bonzi. Your concerns about single player not being beefy enough made me reconsider buying this game for a while, but then I watched some Let's Play footage of it on Youtube and decided I could definitely get at least $40 worth of fun out of what is there.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely better than Brawl in a lot of ways, but the 3DS version to me is just a little too barebones for me. Hopefully the Wii U version is better, and it's not like I wasn't already going to buy both of them, but I've had friends who said they're going to wait on the Wii U version and after playing this for a while I can see why.

All I have left to do is complete the last challenge panel, which is full of stuff I don't want to do in the first place, so really I just play whenever my friends are around or online. The netcode is definitely better than it was in Brawl, but in some situations it gets so bad that it's unplayable, so I just hope that the Wii U version is better (and just by nature of it being on console it'll already have a better control-feel to it. Playing on the 3DS circle pad with the small buttons is not all that great.)

• Locked thread