Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Same comic talk rules as Arrow and Flash, namely

quote:

1.) The comics aren’t spoilers, but they’re also not on-topic. Use your discretion. “Holy poo poo, was that xxxxx character?” is probably okay, but a thousand words on how that’s not in canon, is not.
If you want to talk in depth about Hellblazer comics, take it to BSS.

I couldn't find in-character images of some of the actors, so if you've got one post it and I'll swap it out.

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I am really really super excited for this show, and the banner graphic for the OP is super cool.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I'm just really excited that Chas isn't Shia Labeouf.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

While I like the Hellblazer stuff I've read (Mike Carey especially) I'm not really that attached to the property at all so I'm not really concerned so much with them "getting it right" like some have said as I am with just wanting a fun show.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Deadpool posted:

While I like the Hellblazer stuff I've read (Mike Carey especially) I'm not really that attached to the property at all so I'm not really concerned so much with them "getting it right" like some have said as I am with just wanting a fun show.

The thing with getting Hellblazer right is that it isn't about duplicating storylines or bringing in the correct characters, it's about getting the attitude right. Constantine has to be a bastard who is more than willing to use people. Anyone who gets close to Constantine has to be destroyed by him. And he needs to be cool and collected through all of that.

Those are the things that make John Constantine distinctive and what the movie got wrong. I've got my fingers crossed that the current anti-hero trend in media means that the time is right for him.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, if they were to try and stay true to the spirit of it then they'd have to - assuming it even made multiple seasons - wipe out everyone but John, Chaz and the odd antagonist by the end of each season. If you're a mate of John's and you're not called Chaz, you're hosed, he's absolutely toxic to be around.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, if they were to try and stay true to the spirit of it then they'd have to - assuming it even made multiple seasons - wipe out everyone but John, Chaz and the odd antagonist by the end of each season. If you're a mate of John's and you're not called Chaz, you're hosed, he's absolutely toxic to be around.

They didn't elaborate on how Liv is being written out, but from what I heard it's probably death.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Sentinel Red posted:

If you're a mate of John's and you're not called Chaz, you're hosed, he's absolutely toxic to be around.

In the long run he gets everybody killed, but there's been a number of characters over the course of the series who survived for years in spite of him.

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Need I remind you!? The foolish receive no mercy...
Really looking forward to this show. I actually liked the pilot well enough, but I'm aware that most people didn't and was seeing a lot of rumblings that Constantine would immediately flop because of it - hoping that the changes they made give the show more of a fighting chance. Of the myriad DC shows this fall, this is the one that I'm most interested in by far.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Just found this after realizing I probably should not be posting poo poo in the comics thread.

So, are leaked images considered spoilers? Because there are some that strongly suggest we will be seeing Mucus Membrane and Demon Constantine this season.

As a long time fan of the character I am pretty pumped for this!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Harold Perrineau seems to be approaching Phil Lamar / Sam Jackson levels of "I'm in every loving thing", but for television instead of voice acting and movies, respectively.

The dude who plays Constantine did the voice acting and motion capture for Edward Kenway (the main guy) from rear end Creed: Black Flag, too.

There's an IGN article with an interview with the showrunner, and it's kind of... ugh. He did the first season of Dexter, and thought of Dexter as the same type of "super hero" Constantine is. He says there's pretty much no chance of any sort of crossovers with other heroes (Swamp Thing specifically mentioned) because he's going for something more grounded. He says he can't show smoking, but wants to still use the cancer plot, and is playing with the idea of cuts with a cigarette up to his lips, etc., and how much he can get away with without actually showing him inhale.

... Personally, it didn't seem like he really gets Constantine, and I'm not really sure why he is doing this. This really needs to be on a channel that is going to let them play without kid gloves (we don't need a child loving a dog like in Hellblazer, but, hey). I think this show will end up being very similar to Supernatural.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 23, 2014

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

If I was making the OP I would have made the image large enough so I wouldn't have to hyphenate the main characters name.

I watched the leaked pilot forever ago, I'm guessing they changed some stuff?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Firstborn posted:

Harold Perrineau seems to be approaching Phil Lamar / Sam Jackson levels of "I'm in every loving thing", but for television instead of voice acting and movies, respectively.

The dude who plays Constantine did the voice acting and motion capture for Edward Kenway (the main guy) from rear end Creed: Black Flag, too.

There's an IGN article with an interview with the showrunner, and it's kind of... ugh. He did the first season of Dexter, and thought of Dexter as the same type of "super hero" Constantine is. He says there's pretty much no chance of any sort of crossovers with other heroes (Swamp Thing specifically mentioned) because he's going for something more grounded. He says he can't show smoking, but wants to still use the cancer plot, and is playing with the idea of cuts with a cigarette up to his lips, etc., and how much he can get away with without actually showing him inhale.

... Personally, it didn't seem like he really gets Constantine, and I'm not really sure why he is doing this. This really needs to be on a channel that is going to let them play without kid gloves (we don't need a child loving a dog like in Hellblazer, but, hey). I think this show will end up being very similar to Supernatural.

I thought that Jim Corrigan has been cast, and he is not playing the douchebag version of him? I also thought that Dr. Fates helment was seen?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bilirubin posted:

Just found this after realizing I probably should not be posting poo poo in the comics thread.

So, are leaked images considered spoilers? Because there are some that strongly suggest we will be seeing Mucus Membrane and Demon Constantine this season.

As a long time fan of the character I am pretty pumped for this!

As much as I love the story arc, I'd rather they waited til until after John's cancer arc before the purgin of his soul. He only created the second self as a way to gently caress over the First of the Fallen.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Fateo McMurray posted:

If I was making the OP I would have made the image large enough so I wouldn't have to hyphenate the main characters name.

I watched the leaked pilot forever ago, I'm guessing they changed some stuff?

Well, you didn't, did you. :colbert:

...I fixed it. Thanks, somehow that slipped past me.

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought that Jim Corrigan has been cast, and he is not playing the douchebag version of him? I also thought that Dr. Fates helment was seen?

Jim Corrigan has indeed been cast, and is a normal detective. So far.

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 24, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm super psyched about this show, but I'm afraid one of two things will happen. One, it will suck. Or two, it will own and get canceled. Fridays on NBC is not a great time to be on.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I dunno, Grimm does pretty well there. I think Constantine has a good lead in, so no need to be pessimistic ...until the ratings come in.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

GreenNight posted:

I'm super psyched about this show, but I'm afraid one of two things will happen. One, it will suck. Or two, it will own and get canceled. Fridays on NBC is not a great time to be on.

Hellblazer is by far the comic I own the most of, so right with you, buddy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Firstborn posted:

Now I'm not the most familiar with Constantine, but how in the gently caress does battling the supernatural and demons while having a running tiff with Lucifer count as grounded? I can sort of understand Swamp Thing, maybe, because that can get a little tripy depending on where you go with it, but no other heroes? Can't get the rights or don't want to be bothered getting them I can understand, but not our demon fighting magician show is just too serious for that kind of thing.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Gyges posted:

Now I'm not the most familiar with Constantine, but how in the gently caress does battling the supernatural and demons while having a running tiff with Lucifer count as grounded? I can sort of understand Swamp Thing, maybe, because that can get a little tripy depending on where you go with it, but no other heroes? Can't get the rights or don't want to be bothered getting them I can understand, but not our demon fighting magician show is just too serious for that kind of thing.

Oh, no, dude. Those are explicitly his words. I'd prefer balls out crazy.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/22/constantine-showrunner-talks-dc-comics-origins-swamp-thing-and-smoking
"But look, if you saw that thing on TV or in a movie, are you going to buy into it or you going to look at it and go, “That’s just silly.” And that’s the challenge and more than anything, our goal, the reason Constantine works as a character is he’s grounded

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't really care for the continued calling of John as a magic user. Did nobody ready the comics?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

I don't really care for the continued calling of John as a magic user. Did nobody ready the comics?

He did in New Castle and that went really well! I think by grounded he means John just thinks its "bullocks" and thinks of superheroes as stupid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

He did in New Castle and that went really well! I think by grounded he means John just thinks its "bullocks" and thinks of superheroes as stupid.

That was a group effort no less! I think it's in the Books of Magic mini where he enters the room and they narrator says "not a drop magic yet everyone in this room is terrified of him" or something along those lines.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Here's hoping that NBC doesn't just turn this into Supernatural 2.0.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deakul posted:

Here's hoping that NBC doesn't just turn this into Supernatural 2.0.

My girlfriend and her friends love Supernatural and won't shut up about how John looks like a Castiel ripoff.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rhyno posted:

My girlfriend and her friends love Supernatural and won't shut up about how John looks like a Castiel ripoff.

I look forward to the widespread belief that Constantine is just a Supernatural ripoff. Get an original idea, NBC.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: New Episode Tonight :siren:

Non Est Asylum (pilot)

Based on the wildly popular comic book series Hellblazer from DC Comics, seasoned demon hunter and master of the occult John Constantine is armed with a ferocious knowledge of the dark arts and a wickedly naughty wit. He fights the good fight - or at least he did. With his soul already damned to hell, he's decided to abandon his campaign against evil until a series of events thrusts him back into the fray when an old friend's daughter becomes the target of supernatural forces.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Remember kids, comic book adaptation pilots are usually overstuffed with exposition and generally not an accurate representation of what to expect later on.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Deakul posted:

Remember kids, comic book adaptation pilots are usually overstuffed with exposition and generally not an accurate representation of what to expect later on.

I wish some of the early reviews I've been reading paid attention to this.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Is it forbidden to discuss the movie here?

While I know it wasn't very true to the comics, I really liked it.

Tilda Swinton was great as Gabriel, Peter Stormare was phenomenal as Lucifer, Pruitt Taylor Vance is great in everything and I like Keanu a lot for some reason, I really enjoyed him in the movie. I heard it described as a great movie if you consider a movie about John Constantine's American cousin.

I'm looking forward to this, but I don't really like any of the superhero shows that are on right now. I've heard that Shield got better, but I bailed about halfway through the first season. Arrow's first couple of episodes weren't enough to get me to watch the show and Gotham has been really bad so far unless the most recent episode really switched something up (Donal Logue is loving fantastic and deserves a better show).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Want to see Keanu in a amazing kick rear end movie? Go see John Wick that just opened this weekend.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm looking forward to this, but I don't really like any of the superhero shows that are on right now. I've heard that Shield got better, but I bailed about halfway through the first season. Arrow's first couple of episodes weren't enough to get me to watch the show and Gotham has been really bad so far unless the most recent episode really switched something up (Donal Logue is loving fantastic and deserves a better show).

As someone who hated Arrow, I can tell you that The Flash is pretty entertaining, much much MUCH better than Gotham.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

That was a group effort no less! I think it's in the Books of Magic mini where he enters the room and they narrator says "not a drop magic yet everyone in this room is terrified of him" or something along those lines.

Yeah, but that's because he prefers to bluff and hold back than actually do anything, not that he doesn't use magic at all. Even in that book he used magic to get around, get Tim Hunter on a plane to America without a passport, travel across the country, and then drop him back home without any time really passing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, but that's because he prefers to bluff and hold back than actually do anything, not that he doesn't use magic at all. Even in that book he used magic to get around, get Tim Hunter on a plane to America without a passport, travel across the country, and then drop him back home without any time really passing.

Parlor tricks and slight of hand. John has no rush all power at all and the bulk of the run of Hellblazer backs this up.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I'm going to be THAT GUY and say that I'm going into this pre-annoyed because he doesn't smoke and is (apparently) straight. The show is already handicapped for me because of those two things- petty, I know, but imagine watching a TV show about a broke Batman with an orange Batsuit and you'll get how this feels for me as a Hellblazer fan. I'm willing to be surprised, though!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

What exactly do demons from hell want with that nice lady from the ATT commercials?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Well the exec producer said he's bi, but shrug. Also that they are doing everything they can do show that he smokes without him actually smoking.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The music is giving me a Sherlock Holmes vibe which I don't think I like.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Well, I like his snarkiness so far.

I don't know much about Hellblazer aside from the Constantine movie which wasn't that great but had cool ideas and cool presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

howe_sam posted:

What exactly do demons from hell want with that nice lady from the ATT commercials?

She's actually one of them. She can read minds, remember?

• Locked thread