Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

:smuggo:

Can we discuss our favorite Taiga Dojos to our heart's content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

Ilya is voiced by the same person right? She sounds really different when she's not acting like the comedic relief/straightman for other people's antics.

I think the only radical Type-Moon overall cast change that took place is that the Tsukihime characters are now all voiced by their Melty Blood VA's? Hell, the VA's from FSN have been the same dating all the way back to the Deen Anime / some obscure Drama CD as far as I know.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AfroSquirrel posted:

She'd even be able to program a VCR unaided.

Blu-Ray Recorder :colbert:

Seriously, though. I think part of the charm of most characters is that, despite the other-worldliness that surrounds them, they are people with fundamentally grounded flaws. Except, of course, Shinji.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

You're out of your goddamn mind.

Then again, I did the exact same thing after discovering F/SN, so all I can say is: Strap in. Party is gonna get crazy. :getin:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Slowly become obsessed with power levels... realize that Nasu is a deeply silly goose. Enjoy yourself anyway.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Erg posted:

add a review of how the knk movies were
Later. I've been meaning to rewatch them because I can barely recall the first two beyond the fact that we're presented to them out of chronological order. The third is, unfortunately, kind of hard to forget, taking into account how it starts. :negative:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Irony Be My Shield posted:

While Fate/Stay Night has three separate timelines they do have an "order" to them (Fate, UBW, HF). They assume knowledge from previous routes and also have a thematic progression. Maybe you can just jump into the UBW anime though.
Ah, no: I've gone through all of F/SN. I was talking about the Kara no Kyoukai (KNK) movies. Which I've also seen, even if I mostly don't remember the first 2 movies.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, review time for KNK 01 - Overlooking View... later today because I'm still at work. :cheeky:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My guide to appreciating Fate and its adaptations/spin-offs is as thus: The more screen-time you have Kana Ueda playing Rin, usually the better.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tae posted:

Sheeple
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkFwp0zTQzI

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What about grandpa worms?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Baal posted:

Grandpa worms doesn't do anything but sit in his lovely house and terrorize his grandchildren
Just like all Grandpas! :haw:

What I mean is: He figured out early on in F-Zero that the Grail was busted, right?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I remember now! He did state he was trying to possess/become Sakura in HF so yeah, Grandpa Worms probably knew.

W.T. Fits posted:

I can't underestimate it because I would need to see some evidence of it existing first.
Rin is a good girl trying to pretend really hard she isn't. She still has a little mean streak sometimes, but that just makes her more endearing. :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, he still draws, and now he can do plenty of funny faces and junk. Here's an end-card that he did for gag anime D-Frag! a couple of years ago.

Plus, he still does FGO character designs. Sakura Saber is probably my fave "newer" design of his.

e: Beaten like 3 times over. Dang! :argh:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 7, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Kirei's deal (in an abridged explanation, I guess) is this: (spoilers, because that's the kind of chicken I am) He can only truly be happy by being a murderous, evil bastard, but he still has a conscience and because both that and the way he was raised, he understands that he's a fundamentally horrible person for enjoying doing evil deeds, but at the same time, it's the only way he gets any sort of feeling about anything. Once you get to the creamy center of Kirei, he's an interesting sumbitch.

vvv e: Sort of what Endorph says, yeah. vvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 10, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That all started with whats her name vampirefying though.
Shirley. :cry:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Space Flower posted:

that just serves Endorph's point. Kerry feels nothing for his dad and shoots him in cold blood, completely stone-faced. His memories of Shirley playing through his head in that moment are his emotional stake.
Like, I might be misremembering the anime or it might be different in the novels, but doesn't he break down really badly once he's alone in the boat with Natalia post-patricide?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I swear she was saying "fumu" like Sayri in FE:Awakening or Togami in Katanagatari. Eh, shows what I know. :shobon:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't he the guy who wrote Zvezda Plot?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Wait, bored is Asian? I thought he was Korean.
You are quite the drat little rascal, Zep. :mmmhmm:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Aurora posted:

the main story already doesn't stick to this 'rule'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSPKAB70xtg

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sorta? Like, Mikiya's whole deal is

YggdrasilTM posted:

Yeah, that is his whole theme. That and "very good at finding things"

... and that he kinda just marches to the beat of his own drum.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ayako Kawasumi and Kana Ueda have been voicing Arthuria and Rin on and off for 14 years now. :aaa:

Like I know that's relative "chump change" compared to, like, Masako Nozawa having voiced Goku on and off for almost 34 years or Kiyoshi Kobayashi voicing Jigen for 50 years with only one exception, but still! That's an assload of years.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lt. Lizard posted:

But Kiritsugu feels really bad when he sacrifices someone else, that has to count for something!
Maybe he should take it to the highest Ligma authority in the land instead. :mad:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I thought Fate/Zero was all about "Ladies in snazzy suits are cool, bikes are rad, wa ha ha"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Yeah I think some flashbacks of kariya, aoi, and tokiomi as teens would have gone a long way. Certainly more useful to the plot than 'btw rin met a serial killer when she was 10'
Wasn't Rin's chapter also:
  • A small chapter in the novel that got endless-eight'd up to episode length?
  • The actual novel ends with her little adventure meeting catastrophic failure?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't the crux of Fate/Apocrypha that Darnic clowned on both the Nazis and Zouken with the classy equivalent of "Nah-uh! Nope! Eat my gently caress, motherfuckers!" and he did so without much effort?

Yeah I know "Alternate Universe" this and that, but still.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Conspiratiorist posted:

What a childish tactic.
It worked for many of my Fire Emblem playthroughs, tho. One unit takes a hit for the team, the other one goes Vlad the loving impaler on the enemy's rear end.

Or as one of my Echoes playthroughs showed me "Alm & Lukas face-tank while I nurture Clair into becoming a posh flying instrument of murder"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wark probably just didn't notice my Avatar/text combo. Not surprising if so, I don't post in ADTRW much! :v:
Likely indeed! That is a funny AV/text, tho. :mmmhmm:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Buddha got the best characterization already on Saint Young Men.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't Gil's whole deal of being a demigod treated like a big loving deal? Like I know "lol, power levels" applies and all, but I thought being a demigod and being the real McCoy were like two different sports and all that jazz?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

I bet if all of the goons of the world teamed up, we could beat up Gilgamesh.
I'm pretty certain that Fate/Zero laid that to rest. :v:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Booty, I hafta ask: Does Gil scream "Lupiiiiiiinnnnn!" at one point?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Ill just write a fanfic where musashi and osakabe make out and we can focus on that instead
I played F/SN forever ago and maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but wasn't Rin way more into Artoria than Shirou in at least Fate and UBW?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

what does this have to do with osakabe and musashi making out, i ask you
Piggybacking from your post when trying to remember stuff from the VN, since trying to play FGO on my phone makes it poo poo itself out (it barely runs FEH proper) and running it through the computer just isn't the same. :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Question: Did Illya ever interact with Saber in either Novel or Anime Fate/Zero?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes I forget that basically all the adults in the main FSN timeline are a bunch of barely functioning fuckups and that, despite having PTSD, Waver/El-Melloi II is probably the most well-adjusted of the bunch.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What about Luvia?
Luvia does the "Ohohoho!" laughs, wrestles, really just wants to be friends with Rin and SherouShirou. She's not the best but she ain't all bad.

She's basically like Clair/L'Arachel/Maribelle, except maybe not awesome as any of those 3 girls.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I might be a recent returnee to the Fate franchise + asking all these questions because I can barely remember much of the VN in the first place as is, but:
  1. Aren't both of them part of the archery club?
  2. While she normally doesn't talk about her horrifying home life for obvious reasons, Sakura has been going to Shirou's house for a couple years at the start of the story.
It would sorta make sense that Shinji would at least try and keep it civil with Shirou to not arouse suspicions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, so Shinji is Wimp Lo here?