Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Following a sudden desire to watch more Fate after my last encouter was during the fansub days of fate/zero I spent some time watching Fate/Apocraphyhhurgkrgbrj.
I really didn't like it very much. Specifically the leads. The servants were awesome for the most part. Good god were Astolfo and Sieg horrible. Jeanne occassionally joined them.
On the other hand, I really liked the relationship between Mordred and her master and the way it grew. I also enjoyed Achilles and his talkswith Chiron and Atalante.

I also watched the grand order movie, which I actually liked as well. Good action and watching a pretified Shinji get beheaded is a good bonus.

Currently working on Fate/Extra Last Encore. So far at least the leads aren't trying to annoy me to death like Astolfo and Sieg were doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Good news, if you liked First Order (Caster Cu is the best!) they’re making a movie and series out of what are considered two of Grand Order’s best story chapters, Camelot and Babylon.

NA/global FGO already has Camelot and will be getting Babylon in a couple months. Camelot was pretty dang good. I can’t wait for animated Bedivere.

Caster Cu was awesome yes. I look forward to more fate series.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Finished watching Season 1 of Fate Extra on Netflix only to discover they don't have season 2 yet. :smith: Is there a season 2?

I was enjoying it a lot more than Apocraphy.

I remember seeing the UBW movie a long time ago, but I think I'll check out the series next.

Unrelated, but considering my first encouter with the Fate series was the original stay night serie, I am eternally surprised that this came from an H VN.
How does sex factor into the story? ...or is that a really stupid question?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hommando posted:

Mana can be transferred through bodily fluids, can you guess which ones?

"Oh no, my servant is almost out of mana. What am I going to do?"

....Please tell me that they never did this for Jack the Ripper.

I'll wait for a little while to see if Netflix will pick up the ending. Otherwise I'll look for it. Thanks.

Hunt11 posted:

That is not surprising to hear as the series was really mediocre besides everything involving Mordred and her master. In fact I would it if they did a spin off series that just focused on them.

Darth Walrus posted:

There was also Achilles versus Chiron, which owned hard even if both characters involved were kind of dull.
Mordred and her master were perfect. Achilles was fun and while Chiron was an insufferably perfect genius his interactions with Achilles made me forgive this.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I could watch Sieg vs Karna forever tbh.
I strongly dislike Sieg. Fight was amazingly psychodelic though.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
:toot: Just received a mail from Netflix. They've added the rest of Fate Extra Encore. How convenient. :)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rodyle posted:

I liked Last Encore. Its biggest problem is that it is basically impossible to understand if you haven't played extra.

I don't know, I think I'm doing okay so far.
World has gone to poo poo (though it doesn't look that bad to me whenever they show parts of it, so it might be more of an opinion type deal), Grail system is failing/has failed, lots of people died and became a single person who's going to fix everything with hate in his heart.
Also Nero is a girl.
Only question marks are Tohsaka == Lancer Cu and glasses girl.

Man this "second season" feels rushed. It's in 3 eps on Netflix and I watched the first 2 yesterday and started the last (which appears to be two eps welded together judging from the length).

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

I mean, in FGO Mysterious Heroine XX does promise to be loyal to you if you'll pay for her meals.

And even if she's not the seiba, she is A seiba so close enough.

The best part of LE is Nero. Umu.

I've played Extra and CCC and I had no idea what's going on half the time.

Why does Leo show up once? And then never again?!

I hated "umu" because she doesn't use it consistently. Sometimes when she's trying to be cute, sometimes when she's trying be tough and I think she even did it in doubt once.

I finished last encore. Finale was pretty fine. Nice final moments for Nero and Gawain. Nice use of Tohsaka.
I don't really understand why she turned blond at the end, but that's a minor thing.

All in all, it's a very acceptable series that makes for easy watching. (Though what happened to the floor they skipped?)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

yeah umu is just a word. a lot of bratty imperialistic characters use it. in fate there's nobu and wu who both use it, and if you want other characters the protagonist of overlord uses it (as an example of it not even being a cute girls only thing) and togame in katangatari.

It's not an insanely common word, it carries certain connotations - a sort of authoritarian air, a kind of self-importance, and it's a bit old fashioned too - but it's not something that's a specific speech quirk or anything or something made up specifically for nero. It got associated heavily with Nero because she says it a ton, but that's just more like a character turning a certain word or phrase into a catchphrase, not it being specific to them. Like how yorokobe shonen got associated with Kotomine even though it's just a phrase.

Interesting. I assumed that Umu was like Dattebayo or deyansu or one of the many other trailing words. I never really mind those words, after a while you don't hear them anymore unless they're used to reinforce a statement.

My problem with Umu was that she wasn't using it nearly as much as the Datteabyo etc and she seemed to use it in several different situations. But since the word has actual meaning, that makes more sense.

Can anyone explain why using her imperial ability on the boat back on level 1 somehow made it rise up and crash into the other boat?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

taser rates posted:

Imperial Privilege is basically plot armor the skill, iirc among other things it allows the wielder to borrow any attribute or skill that they witness, so she IPd the ship to commandeer it.

Kyte posted:

The easiest way to imagine IP is to assume it gives you a pool of free character creation points that they can freely assign to whatever they want (with some restrictions if the rank is low) to meet their needs at the moment. So basically Nero gave herself Riding A and whatever else they needed to get it moving.

Ok, she didn't really seem to be riding the boat. But that's an explanation.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, she's literally host to a magical bug colony. That'll alter you a bit.

Kariya Matou disagrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

So I just recently got this ludicrous OLED television and went to Netflix on it to find something to watch. I found some weird Fate/Extra anime. I liked the Fate/Extra games (CCC in particular was pretty weird but in a cool way) and was curious about what the show would be about. It's pretty weird, but in a way that is at least holding my interest. I'm guessing that I'm supposed to have no idea what is going on (judging from the fact that the protagonist just found out 1000 years had passed). At the beginning was that female Hakuno (the best Hakuno)? I also noticed they're throwing in all these cameos of F/GO servants, and included Drake's line from when she uses her NP in the game.

Nero is lame though, would have owned if it had Gilgamesh as the servant.

Nero and Gilgamesh are pretty much the same though.