Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

or ulbricbht can be convicted and someone could make a movie about the cooler version of reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

it's actually https://twitter.com/HowellONeill

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

As a Millennial I posted:

if ross goes free do they have to give back his bitcoins

the 29,600 whatever bitcoins that were all auctioned off this summer were on the silk road server which ross claimed were not his because he says he's not dpr.

my guess is that the remaining 144,000 he would get back except that i think that he was concerned with the continued price drops in boom august, boom september, boom october, boom november, and boom december, that he and the government reached an agreement that 50,000 would be auctioned off. so i think that the proceeds would be held waiting on the verdict as well with the remaining 94,000 bitcoins.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh

lol

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

FMguru posted:

no they werent, dont be an idiot

they were obviously spontaneously generated by random noise in the ram when the fbi turned his computer off and on, duh

Are you people even familiar with The Library of Babel? "Random noise" could generate the entire personal history of everyone past, present and future plus the entire secret JFK files.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

As a Millennial I posted:

you know what, fuckit i'm pulling for ross now, if only because that version of reality will be much more interesting

we win either way, this whole trial has been amazing

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
It kinda looks like Dratel's argument is going to be "There's no way anybody could ACTUALLY be dumb enough to leave this much evidence"

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

quote:

As for the rest of us, it is disappointing that we will never get to see the defense Ross Ulbricht planned to have.
:agreed: it would have been amazing

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

im upset the circus is going to leave town soon. that'll leave us kids with nothing but the smell of elephant poo poo and memories of clowns.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i closed the tab when i got to "sewing doubt"

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Sweevo posted:

maybe all the jurors are over 70 and the defence statement was "well folks the interrnet sure is complicated. if you can't cybershow how my techno client encrypted his e-firewall and tcp/ip'ed his proxy then you must acquit!"
not quite, lol @ this

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahjeong/2015/01/19/tor-browser-is-mumbo-jumbo/2/ posted:

During jury selection, peremptory strikes were used—whether coincidentally or with specific purpose—to eliminate jurors with science degrees, or even a penchant for reading news on the Internet. After the last round of peremptories, the point at which the lawyers could no longer eliminate jurors, a 26-year-old who works in IT was picked through the randomized selection process. She and another juror are the only jurors under the age of 40. Yet another juror has a bachelor’s in computer science.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

jony ive aces posted:

not quite, lol @ this

gently caress

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
Patrick O'Neill @HowellONeill · 1 h Há 1 hora

Dratel repeated this single line over and over again: "Does that sound like DPR?" meaning DPR is a security genius, Ross is the opposite

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

ruby idiot railed posted:

"@sarahjeong It's not over until it's over, you guys. Ross Ulbricht has a goddamn wizard for a lawyer. #SilkRoadTrial"
dratel is the real DPR :stare:

their argument has been "a wizard did it" the whole time after all

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TVarmy posted:

im upset the circus is going to leave town soon. that'll leave us kids with nothing but the smell of elephant poo poo and memories of clowns.

don't worry, it's the start of a beautiful tour. it can't be long until the proper bfl trial and maybe dpr 2 will be sorted this year too... a man who appears to be even dumber than dpr 1.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

TVarmy posted:

yeah i don't know if i'll ever be able to laugh again, nothing could be as funny as this trial

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

that oneill guy's answering questions http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2uost8/jury_deliberations_begin_tomorrow_in_silk_road/

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

quote:

<@HowellONeill> The defense has completed their closing arguments in the Silk Road case. I'll summarize it here for you all. Jury deliberation begins tmrw
<@HowellONeill> Dratel's argument was an artful exercise in sewing as much doubt as he could: "The internet is not what it seems," he said.
<@HowellONeill> Dratel "The impenetrability of the computer screen has deprived us of certainty.
<@HowellONeill> Dratel: "Not a single piece of evidence that Ulbricht was responsible for a single commission" bc agents didn't start on SR until late 2011
<@HowellONeill> Dropping all subtly, Dratel said Ulbricht was hacked, the evidence could have been planted, "fabricated, distorted, moved, manipulated"
<@HowellONeill> Dratel: "The Internet denies us the ability to say what is true and what is deception"
<@HowellONeill> Dratel pointed out that several files on Ulbricht's laptop were edited AFTER his arrest took place while BitTorrent was still running
<@HowellONeill> Dratel says cops crashed Ulbricht's laptop before they could check all of the processes running on it, now theyll "never know."
<@HowellONeill> DPR said don't keep anything on your laptop for cops to use against you. Ulbricht allegedly kept a treasure trove. Dratel: it was planted
<@HowellONeill> After visit by DHS, Ulbricht doesn't run, doesn't move money, does nothing. "Does that sound like DPR?"
<@HowellONeill> $18 million in BTC found on Ulbricht's laptop was an investment by the framer in order to complete the con, Dratel argues, it paid off big.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwdba9C2G14

Those are some amazing quotes. "The Internet denies us the ability to say what is true and what is deception"

How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I'm actually going to be legitimately angry if ross is found not guilty because it'll be another victory of rhetoric over facts

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

jony ive aces posted:

not quite, lol @ this

quote:

Yet another juror has a bachelor’s in computer science.

I wonder if that one juror is going to turn everything around like 12 angry men

we'll never know

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

wait, how does fake diary work if the diary's full of poo poo from his private life that actually happened? did mark have spies relaying ross's poison oak status back to japan

i want to believe

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Heresiarch posted:

I'm actually going to be legitimately angry if ross is found not guilty because it'll be another victory of rhetoric over facts

on the other hand, he's still hosed by the murder charges in baltimore later this year

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

CSM posted:

<@HowellONeill> DPR said don't keep anything on your laptop for cops to use against you. Ulbricht allegedly kept a treasure trove. Dratel: it was planted
<@HowellONeill> After visit by DHS, Ulbricht doesn't run, doesn't move money, does nothing. "Does that sound like DPR?"

if ross is an idiot, you must acquit

ElectricMucus
Feb 9, 2013

meta!

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

EL BROMANCE posted:

don't worry, it's the start of a beautiful tour. it can't be long until the proper bfl trial and maybe dpr 2 will be sorted this year too... a man who appears to be even dumber than dpr 1.
dpr2 supposedly admitted to literally everything as soon as he was arrested

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

idiots. just grow your own weed if you need it that bad

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Heresiarch posted:

for real, this is crazy, truth is literally mraningless in criminal law if ulbricht gets off here

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

quote:

$18 million in BTC found on Ulbricht's laptop was an investment by the framer in order to complete the con, Dratel argues, it paid off big.

yeah this is real fuckin believable

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

who would believe this man, this joke of a man, this man who could not outwit a used tea bag, to be in a position where he might run the biggest drug marketplace on the internet? who? only a yoghurt. this man is not guilty of narcotics trafficking, he is only guilty of being ross ulbricht. that is his crime; it is also his punishment

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Heresiarch posted:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

If Ulbricht's insane Chewbacca-defense strategy actually works that just means more laffs on the laffchain though

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Linguica posted:

If Ulbricht's insane Chewbacca-defense strategy actually works that just means more laffs on the laffchain though

esp if he gets life in Maryland anyway

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Linguica posted:

yeah but that's more of a sad laugh at how messed up the world is

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
if i got lwop for one crime i'd just hope all my other charges stick because at that point at least you might as well shoot for a high score

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/msantoriESQ/status/562713703196684290
BREAKING: New Jersey Assembly to hold hearings on #bitcoin and new digital currency regulations on Thursday. NJ rising up to meet NY.
Pleased to be providing testimony along with @HoumanShadab @jerrybrito and many other excellent #bitcoin industry members.

public hearings should be fun

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzQUommb95c

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

JaysonAych posted:

who would believe this man, this joke of a man, this man who could not outwit a used tea bag, to be in a position where he might run the biggest drug marketplace on the internet? who? only a yoghurt. this man is not guilty of narcotics trafficking, he is only guilty of being ross ulbricht. that is his crime; it is also his punishment

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

http://www.synereo.com

The revolutionary new Pump and dump scheme social network has a new scrolly website just in time for their funding attempt

Laughs imminent
:suspense:

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

text editor posted:

if i got lwop for one crime i'd just hope all my other charges stick because at that point at least you might as well shoot for a high score

the one circumstance where a high score can lead to multiball instead of vice versa

seriously wanna hear the defense arguments, if there's a time for Phoenix Wright arguments in this trial it's now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

if I were a juror and an obviously guilty defendant busted out with it wasn't me on the stand, I would hang the jury no question

• Locked thread