Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RZA Encryption posted:

So if someone had warehouses of bitcoin miners, why wouldn't they just be trying 24/7 to guess the private key for satoshi's wallet?

(BTW, I still don't have a firm grasp on what miners do, besides guess numbers. the answer is probably "because they're single purpose machines and aren't built that way")
assuming satoshi has 256-bit key, that's a a lot of poo poo to guess (if we brute force every possible address)
basically that's 2^256 keys. he may have 512-bit key, so 2^512 is limit. if he's dumb, he may have 128-bit - 2^128
for example, let's take gtx 980 (doesnt make great sense but w/e) card - something like 2^26 (roughly) keys/second
128-bit = 2^(128-26) seconds = 2^102 seconds = 2^77 years
256-bit = 2^(256-26) seconds = 2^230 seconds = 2^205 years
256-bit = 2^(512-26) seconds = 2^486 seconds = 2^463 years
thats alot
while this is time needed to checke every single possible thing, even like 10% of it is crazy long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DNova posted:

2^26 (roughly) keys/second

really?
no idea if that holds nowadays, number based on 4 year old bitcoin address miner gpu performance estimation formulas
point is that miner will die before that happens either way

it was also more like 2^(25,6), but i felt lazy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DNova posted:

oh my bad I'm thinking base ten and you're writing base two
yea, i rewrote to base 2, re: lazy

e: for base 10 it's about 4.5*10^7 (423362566 k/s is what i've got, so i pluged it in to 2^x and then rounded x up to closest integer)

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 10, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

unpacked robinhood posted:

so quantum computers can't really do jack poo poo because they require the same amount of energy just they do the things in "parallel" ?
best known theoretical attack, based on quantum stuff, seems to be grover's algorithm, which reduces x entries to sqrt(x) entries, so still too long (for now)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rip buttcoin

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

omlette du fromage

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what does that mean :confused:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nevermind, mystery resolved after i started to treat shrem as surname and not a word

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Bitcoin est de la merde , il ne se arrête pas l'emprisonnement
bitcoin is satan, i will not stop imprisonment? (i don't know french)

Krinkle posted:

Which asimov short story was that multivac story taken from? I gotta know what they asked the computer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Question i think

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TVarmy posted:

it's actually, "bitcoin is poo poo, it won't stop imprisonment."

the original cartoon the french guys made was of a muslim guy getting shot through a quran, and it said, "the quran is poo poo, it won't stop a bullet."

"je ne suis pas satoshi" - dorian nakamoto refusing to show solidarity with ppl using free speech to launder money :smith:
oh, so i was close in my guess, since i do not know french, if a word or two maybe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

bitcoin is poo poo, it doesn't stop imprisonment

i guess you've not been following the events in france that the je suis charlie shrem joke came from? take my word for it that's a really good joke.
i have been following events fairly well, i just did not familiarize myself with the exact content of caricature, since it having religious basis was enough for me to put together bits and pieces
fun fact, christianity-related caricature was banned from release several years ago for "insulting inner beliefs" or some wording like that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

why not just metric prefixes, i.e. BTC, mBTC, μBTC, nBTC etc., instead of memorizing every cryptographer who knew how to write

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

the de facto denominations are
1/1 bitcoin
1/1000 mBTC
1/1000000 bit
1/100000000 satoshi
which gives a nice mix of metric, namedropping, and confusing
this is surprisingly sensible, if a bit confusing in terms of why magnitude step between satoshi and bit is differend to that between BTC/mBTC and mBTC/bit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jre posted:

lol , wonder what O'Reilly makes of him getting banned
clearly it's elimination of competitor to reddit notes and infamous dogecoin

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

he was shadowbanned, that's the only ban the admins hand out unless they really hate you
and he just announced on twitter he was unbanned
strange, quote from mod (above) "No temporarily shadow-banned." seemed to imply a classic ban

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

welp, my english is bad
meanwhile r/bitcoin is going full :reddit: over the incident

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:allears:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:psyduck: i dont even
is that regular state of r/buttcoin ?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boxturret posted:

this is getting kind of confusing with buttcoin being used by both sides
sorry, i had a suspicion that it also is a real subreddit, but :effort: to check. i meant r/bitcoin

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

faith in humanity restored :razz:
i wonder how much people do fall for scams on r/bitcoin

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

duTrieux. posted:

is this a post about bitcoins or about that weird nap-based sleeping schedule
sleep, but applicable

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

he had no interest in women iirc
he didn't indeed

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

chestnut santabag posted:

im the green area below 0
im the axis on btc graph

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

...so what you're saying is sell your bitcoin now because the price is going to go down, then back at the price bottom somewhere 2016-ish?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Overstock.com offers employees all-bitcoin paychecks
By Ciara Linnane
Published: Jan 9, 2015 2:03 p.m. ET

Online retailer is a big believer in the digital currency
AFP/Getty Images
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) — Overstock.com Inc. demonstrated a surprisingly high level of commitment to digital currencies Friday with the news that it is planning to offer its employees the option of being paid in bitcoin.

The discount online retailer made the announcement in a release about a new bitcoin ATM that it has installed at its corporate headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah.

“Moving cryptocurrencies out of the realm of geeks and into the realm of the rest of us requires making changes at all levels of the financial ecosystem,” Chief Executive Patrick Byrne said in the release. “An important part of this effort is making digital money ATMs accessible.”

Overstock.com OSTK, +1.49% has been accepting bitcoin as payment since Jan of 2014. Customers have made $3 million worth of purchases with bitcoin since then. The company says an analysis of the first year of usage indicates that Utah has the second-highest adoption of the currency among U.S. states, after New Hampshire.

Since its launch in 2009, bitcoin, an electronic currency that is traded by users who store it in digital wallets, has won fans and detractors, while bitcoin-focused companies have attracted large sums of investment dollars from venture-capital firms.

The currency has been criticized for its volatility, climbing to a peak of $1,150-a-coin in December of 2013 to $284.76 in recent trading. A wide range of companies including Amazon.com Inc. AMZN, -1.86% Target Corp. TGT, +0.26% CVS Health Corp. CVS, -0.74% eBay/PayPal EBAY, -0.77% Tesla Motors Inc. TSLA, -2.15% Microsoft Corp. MSFT, -1.25% and Dell Inc. accept it as payment.

Bitcoin’s price declined by about two-thirds in the past year, according to the CoinDesk Bitcoin Price Index, which factors in prices from several bitcoin exchanges. It was trading at about $930 in January 2014.

The currency suffered a setback in 2013, when the Tokyo exchange Mt. Gox collapsed after hackers stole 800,000 bitcoins, which were valued at about $500 million at the time. Earlier this week, the Slovenia-based exchange Bitstamp said it was suspending its service temporarily, after losing about 19,000 of the coins in a breach.

Overstock.com shares were slightly higher in early trade, but are down 20% in the past 12 months, while the S&P 500 has gained 12%.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/overstockcom-offers-employees-all-bitcoin-paychecks-2015-01-09

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ahaha money doubling, jfc, that's eve online chat level scamming :psylon:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

evilweasel posted:

it was roger ver who can't get back into the us after abandoning his citizenship
:psyduck: abandoning us citizenship

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boxturret posted:

"In what country is there a place for people like me?"
                                        -Roger Ver
i dont get the quote but as citizen of latvia the thought of abandoning us citizenship is hilarious

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dren posted:

i know a guy who got his citizenship recently i bet he would laugh his rear end off
out of curiousity, how long did it took him?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

JaysonAych posted:

No Pain, No Gain. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 29 minutes ago by mbaetekio

If i hodl and it tanks to zero will the pain be that much worse? not really. if I buy and the price goes up... Well, that my friends is what I call the Gain after the Pain. so it's all HODL for me regardless of the final outcome. I may even purchase as the train goes lower. only because my instincts are telling me to sell. my instincts are frequently incorrect when it comes to bitcoin.

i know we just changed the thread title but lol
gain after pain, :lol:, how about slamming your head in a door and then going to gym, mr. buttcoiner

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Donetsk People's Republic :confused:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

whoa

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

like half the commenters on that video have pony or furry avatars
haven't furries adopted dogecoin yet?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

again or what, im confused to limit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ploft-shell crab posted:

Real talk here, is there a campaign against bitcoin suddenly? I know this may sound conspiracy theory esq... But the major robbery to destroy faith in the security of it, and then a major plunge in the price to make people think it's unstable. Maybe I'm being paranoid... But this is a lot to happen at once for never having anything like this before. A truly independent currency not tied to any country for control, it's like people are ditching the federal reserve and it's scared someone.
cybergenocide of sovereign citizens

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

please go sub-$100 :allears:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

If this goes sub-100, log scales are gonna be really goddamn funny
they will switch to log-log so that there's illusion of non-volatility

triple sulk posted:

That is a pepper grinder
does this post state impossibility to do drugs through a pepper grinder

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

like, say, bideo james

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Greyhawk posted:

reminder anders andropoolous will have an AMA in 40 minutes

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i am trying to read funny court tweets, but i dont know what cronies dpr and dhs mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

dpr: dread pirate roberts

dhs: department of homeland security you moron

wait do you somehow not know what "cronies" means either :stare:
as a moron, i, will admit, that dhs as department of homeland security, may have slipped off my mind despite the existence of department of homeland security of republic of latvia :saddowns:

i know who are cronies (i tried to make pun), but i dont know who is dread pirate roberts, though i will probably google that

fe: nevermind, i kbnow it now

Powershift posted:

DPR = dread pirate roberst, the guy behind silk road, the online drug marketplace
DHS = department of homeland security, the guy behind normal drug marketplaces
thanks

• Locked thread