Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Even when you're allowed to run a bit longer, you still get penalized for getting to far from your accessory. :eng99:

Also, I wish the game made the thing about only small knives severing well me clear instead of letting me bash my giant meat cleaver into a giant missile launcher for a minute.

Jesus christ, even standing around for 3 minutes is a penalty. I kinda wish there was a dictionary of penalties so you could collect them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You can sever stuff as any weapon type, it's just faster with the small weapon. Unless thats what you meant and I misread it.

I haven't yet tested it in a full mission, but of the tutorial mission it took two hits with the big sword and one with a small knife. Additionally this small knife gets you quick time event, which I assume means it will be much faster in a full mission.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Static Rook posted:

I failed the first civilian rescue mission three times. Then I figured out that the "Scatter" team command lets everyone go off and do their own thing rather than follow you around. Still getting used to the controls and the lock-on mechanic, but loving the game so far.
Yeah, there's a number of things that would do well to be mentioned in the OP post:

- play through the main missions until you get quick travel before messing around with exploring things
- knife severing is much quicker than clubs or spears
- scatter is the most useful ai command, especially in manlet collecting missions
- keep in mind you can tell your accessory to bring manlets home
- (something i don't know, but others can probably answer) "Modify" adds special effects (randomly | depending on factors: ???)
- to start a multiplayer match, stand in a blue pillar and hit x to mark yourself ready
- make sure that the mission isn't a raid on your own panopticon :v:
- activate voice chat with the touch interface to the left even if only to hear others, the vita actually has really good voice chat built in (might be better to do it with headphones)
- if you don't like voice, the vita can use bluetooth keyboards
- ???

Then, i read about a Thorn 2 input pattern that maps the action button (pick up item/manlet) to pad-down. Does this unlock later, or is that in a patch yet to come?

Lastly, i'm disappointed that upgrading the level of equipment for colleagues has to be bought with contribution points, instead of getting them materials. Not because i dislike it, but more because it's kind of fourth-wall breaking. They could at least have a scene where they get penalized in the transporter for bringing high level gear on your trip.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I wonder if the accessory, being AI, gets unlimited ammo or also has to run around and grab ammo boxes. If it gets unlimited ammo then giving it the biggest guns would not only be really funny, but also really useful.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Volt Catfish posted:

Guns can't cut poo poo right. So are gun users at a natural disadvantage?
What does "can't cut poo poo" mean? Also, you're supposed to carry a melee weapon and a gun.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Fancy Hat! posted:

I'm in the New York group, which I assume will be pretty populated, once I unlock multiplayer.
You can play with anyone against anyone really. Last night i tried a coop match and found myself with 3 guys in the tokyo group. When the match ended i noticed we had just successfully raided my own panopticon, berlin.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

So, how are people controlling this thing? I found myself using a right-hand claw grip which allows me to hold the vita largely with the left hand, and run around with the left thumb, while being able to fine-control aiming with the right thumb while pressing square with the index finger at the same time.

I wish they'd copied the whole "move the vita to adjust aim" thing.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Policenaut posted:

So what's the deal with facial hair in this game? I played the demo and there was an option to give yourself like a goatee but I can't find it here in the English release, is it an Entitlement you have to unlock or something?
I found beards in the stickers you can put on your clothes/face. I wonder how close you can get to a cross-gender robin hood costume.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Squelch Hardon posted:

If you hold L to aim R becomes the shoot button instead of the longarm button
Yeah, i entirely missed that, and wow it changes everything. Combine it with Thorn 2 control scheme, which unlocked somewhere along the line, and the controls are perfect now.

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

So do you guys think this could be fun solo ? If I do end up picking this up of course I'll play online but I'm just checking. Are the bosses hard enough where you'd need four players ?
Absolutely. There's a number of ways you can go about playing it, since, when playing offline, you can choose which companions to roll with, and when playing online, it'll fill up the team with AI companions. Additionally you can give AI companions commands, which is super useful. As for challenge, the campaign is fairly sedate, but i tried a few "Invasion" missions (multiplayer missions (although the multiplayer bit is as mentioned optional) where you reduce the points of other panopticons), and failed 3 out of 4 times.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Awesome! posted:

i wonder if the citizen's voice thing is ever going to say anything

I'm tempted to assume that's the joke. Just wish telling it to update wouldn't take a minute or two.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Cless Alvein posted:

Maybe Im blind and missed it but does it list anywhere what you need to do to get the bonus on a mission or is it kinda a guess as to what the condition is?
I think one of the ingame sinners actually comments on the merits of trying to complete missions in different ways to try and earn bonuses. I think Sergio.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Bad Parenting posted:

Is it only the light melee weapons that can sever parts? I just made a heavy melee sword called Aftershadow or something and I thought I'd be able to use that to sever bits off as its damage type is cutting, however when I'm hanging on to an abductor I don't get the prompt to start chopping.
Yep, only light ones. Though you can hang on and simply bang on the part with your big sword. It'll eventually pop off just the same.

Pierson posted:

For a comparison I really enjoyed God Eater for the level of customisation and weaponry and the sound and graphic design made it really feel like big strikes hurt and that I was doing real damage. Similarly, I really, really disliked Ragnarok Odyssey for the fact that none of the floaty combat felt like it had any impact or weight. Does it sound like I'll enjoy Freedom Wars?
Now that we know you like crunchy, yes, Freedom Wars has a lot of crunch. Even with attacks where you fly straight through the boss you can distinctly tell the hits, and with guns you get explosions for every hit, and pieces falling off fairly often.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Emalde posted:

Updated the OP slightly, please post about what else you think should be included.

"lowest possible starting attack value" I have no idea what that means. The power level? The element values? Also, what does lowest possible mean? How do i tell what's low and what isn't? That japanese spreadsheet is singularly unhelpful.

"gives your team members an attack boost while attached", i think i read that it gives a boost to buddy dragdowns, not attack.

Then the OP could, as i mentioned earlier, also contain a list of miscellaneous hints about non-obvious things, like the "suppress personnel" command.

Otherwise, really good OP, it even answered some questions for me, for example i had no clue that modifying weapons also increases their stats. :)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Did some testing with sever/drag times and found some interesting things about dragging:

1. Each successful dragdown increases the time for the next successful one.
2. Mashing circle on dragdowns is almost useless.
3. The "higher" dragdown animation that starts after mashing for a bit persists after you stop mashing, and how long it persists depends on how much you mashed. This leads me to think that for the benefit of the mashing it's enough to do it a bit at the start, and then at a sedate pace after that to maintain the boosted state.

Here's a chart of dragdown times:

As for severing. It's hard to test with the tutorial abductors, since any mashing on them makes parts pop off instantly. And the abductors in real missions don't let you hold on long enough to see how long it'd take with or without mashing. I get the feeling that it makes things go about 2x as fast though, and it doesn't seem to have a boosted animation.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

gently caress. That solo mission at the start of Code 6 is the worst thing out of many games I have played recently. Three attempts and the randomly spawning enemies combine with the hilariously lovely corridor shooter mechanics of this game to nothing but failure.

Edit: Haha, wow, gently caress the person who designed this level, and every subsequent person who did not slap the first one in the face for this atrocity. After muddling through by way of dying near the exit, and having all the enemies decide to run away, the end result is zero plot advancement, only a "come later" message.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 5, 2014

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Really Pants posted:

Your team will focus on the Chains if you order them to Suppress Personnel.

When would you ever not tell your team to suppress personnel, outside of reclamation missions where they must scatter?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Really Pants posted:

I don't actually know what any of the other orders do :saddowns:
Me too buddy, me too.

Stux posted:

How should i be equipping my accessory?
This needs to be highlighted: Your ACC has unlimited ammo. Always give them the weapon with the biggest punch and the worst ammo issues. Adelring (flamethrower) is a fine choice.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

It's reassuring that the Citizen's Voice takes several minutes to update to the most recent set of "24 HR SURVEILLANCE" even on a Vita TV plugged into a LAN cable.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Speedball posted:

Well, this game is definitely inferior to Gods Eater Burst in one way: hub area is too goddamn big. God Eater got it right, make it manageable, with NO LOADING TIMES.
You get quick travel fairly soon. Don't spend a ton of time on things that don't move the story forward.

Speedball posted:

Also I just got ten years for talking to the wrong citizen. What the gently caress.
Don't get upset. Unless you truly wish to roleplay as a clueless amnesiac with bad temper in the actual game.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I just got to Code 7 Exam and now I fully understand the reception the game had in Japan. Any company that permits implementation of such a level deserves nothing but bankruptcy.

Edit: And somehow the one right after that manages to be an even bigger affront to any human being who isn't comatose.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 17, 2014

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's 50k years per "do voluntary contributions", I believe.

Also the last three facility slots are paid DLC in Japan I think.
They're paid DLC in USA too. I just saw them today when checking the DLC list for new releases this week.

They also releases additional voice packs for the accessories.

They do however suck. The default acc voice is a human with filters.

The voice packs are just literally the same lines as the default, generated with 3 different vocaloid settings. They're not even very subtle about it, the artifacts due to generation are quite strong. And to add insult to injury, the difference between the settings is fairly minimal.

It's fairly disgusting how they completely ripped out this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfyfilM8N1M

On a minor note: I'm still confused by what missions people complain about in this game. The various "play solo against endlessly spawning ai sinners" missions are difficult to the point where the outcome is sheer luck (unless you belong to the CoD console 360 noscope crowd). Meanwhile the chains mission required endurance, but was fairly easy to get through by letting the AI sinners do the bulk of the work and restricting oneself to sticking to the entry gateway and keeping 2 chains stuck on it, and reviving AI sinners as necessary.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Really Pants posted:

Sinners with hitscan sniper rifles are obnoxious, but they can't lock you in a downward spiral of getting hit, standing up, and immediately getting hit again like the Chains can.
Odd, i wasn't stunlocked by chains at all. Occasionally hit by having one swipe through me, but the black hole attack was much more dangerous until i noticed the thorn can completely cancel it. Guess i got lucky or something.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

The Muffinlord posted:

Me too. I feel like I fell way behind in terms of earning Entitlement Points, though. Is there a consistent way to grind those up?
Special ops get refreshed daily.

On the other hand, you will need to do some grinding in gear and levels of the ai sinners, as the special missions are really only doable in online if you're coming fresh off the "end" of the main story.

Also, as a mini-rant: I hate that quite a few of the weapon upgrades rely on will-o engines or Synthetic Generator of all-purpose abductors, which come from blowing open the abductor core for the first time and have at most a chance of 20% each, probably less. If they at least used the ones from carriers so you have 3 chances per abductor.

Has anyone found a reliable way to get these, or is it really just "grind the Code 2 Exam a lot"?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

IIRC Abductor core drops are also in their general kill drop table, but it's still just luck like anything else.
Yeah, i found will-o engine and synthetic generators to drop both on core destruction and abductor kill. I'm thinking about trying to find a mission that has more of the Mk.1 all-purpose abductors, since 1-3 goes extremely fast, with completion times averaging around 1:25 for me, killing it with the Nashorn rocket launcher, but the loading times before and after it get old really fast.

Six Of Spades posted:

I wonder if there's a way to increase my base defence outside of items and other shield players.
This game is like Godhand in that you don't get defense and are expected to be very aware of your surroundings and dodge a lot. Some hints:

- use the auto-resurrector item
- try to stick close to your acc
- have your AI buddies on "suppress personnel"
- learn to recognize abductor moves (yes, this will take a long time since they mix them up so much)
- choose your weaponry according to the mission layout, sometimes range takes longer but means you won't get hosed over so much
- don't just cut everything off immediately, sometimes it's helpful to leave one arm gun on the abductor
- don't think you need to be the main damage dealer, when running with ai buddies you're hilariously effective just running around resurrecting people with your thorn
- similarly, don't dismiss the other two thorn types if you get killed too much, the healing pillar and the guard buff are good and unless you're literally pulling down all the time the attack thorn may be wasted on you
- don't forget to skill up your ai buddies, they go at least to rank 10, if not further

The only time where your lack of survivability gets actually annoying is when you're forced to go solo against sinners for 3 missions in a row in the code 6 or 7 (don't remember which) story missions. Try to do these online whenever possible.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Really Pants posted:

You can get a decent amount of EP from building or scavenging cheap combat items. Augmentations are all worth a lot, too.
drat. Thanks a bunch for mentioning that. I really should be building augments to level up the AI buddies.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Don't bother with the japanese calculator it links. There's a translated one:

https://6a57cca50e456735ae8b3ac3f342487a76188c6e-www.googledrive.com/host/0B5nV0iERsuAoRExTVjJGOE9teE0/FreWar/weapon.html

Although it does seem to disagree with the overview table on some weapons.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Just a small note for those who haven't figured it out yet (like me until yesterday):

After completing the story missions (and starting earlier optimally) the medication and munition factory are an extremely great way to convert 2-5 high level items (~100 years) + 13-10 trash items (25 years) into items worth 500-1000 years (in total), with a production time of 5 minutes (finally a use for all those low level citizens).

For me the optimum combination seems to be 2 * Debilitator+ (R. 7, 140 GPP, 47 years) + 13 * Carapace|Generator Melee|Carrier|Marksman|Mobile Mk 1|2 (R. 1, 5 GPP, 2 years) in the munitions factory, resulting in 2 * Debilitator+ plus 20+ items averaging out to 100 GPP, 33 years each.

This means i can keep this cycle up as long as i have trash items to throw into it (i have 200+ of each type of those), as i'll always get the Debilitators back that are needed to guarantee the highest quality for the next cycle.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Really Pants posted:

You only need two high-quality items for the highest-quality output?
At R. 7, yes. At lower ranks you need more of them. I think it's based on starting with the rank of the highest item you put in, and ranking down successively if the GPP total of the input set fails to match certain numbers.

... I hope this makes sense.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Really Pants posted:

It does, but I can't get it to work with any less than 5 Debilitators+. Luckily that's still a net gain.
What's the other items you're throwing in? I noticed that unless you fill up the 15 slots with rock-bottom items, you do need more of the highest level items.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Awesome! posted:

whats in the code 7 exam? i dont like when i cant take my accessory

Go online for that poo poo and don't look back once you're through it. You still can't bring ACC, but it makes it less of a lottery.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Bless you, somethingawful.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I remember reading something that the limit for element is somewhere around 170 with mods? Is gamefaqs off its rocker with that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Midjack posted:

That helps get past missions I can't beat (assuming post game players will do missions less than code 8). That doesn't get me any additional years off the sentence or entitlement points, so it looks like I have to replay the missions I've already done about 200 more times to get code 8.

Use the ammunition/medication factories. See: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3676676&pagenumber=15&perpage=40#post438433832

• Locked thread