Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dunno if the Ridder turning into a lovely version of Jigsaw is about character development and more about turning the dial up a notch from Asylum to give Batman a reason to solve his lovely riddles. The idea of Batman bothering to collect statuettes and solve visual puzzles while beating down an asylum riot was already kinda silly but when he's literally dying from poison and it's open gang warfare in the streets of converted Gotham even with videogame logic you sorta need to contrive a reason for Batman to give a poo poo.

Also the DC universe is like the most liberal universe ever. If you wanna get away with mass murder just wear a costume and have a gimmick; you'll never just be executed! Also no police brutality either because none of the more regular human (not the "superpowered" criminals like Croc or Bane) supercriminals end up "accidentally" getting shot to death between capture by Batman and their booking despite the fact most of them have killed tons of cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Punisher MAX did a really great job (until like the last half of the series when it didn't) of having pretty good villains consistently despite the fact that The Punisher murdered all of them brutally by the end of every arc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The richest man in Gotham is whoever gets to fix all the crushed orbitals of the goons who fight Batman

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

CuwiKhons posted:

Sits around coming up with more ways to gently caress with Batman?

In a more serious answer, he really does just sit around coming up with riddles and puzzles. It's not just something he does out of compulsion - he genuinely enjoys creating/solving puzzles and spends his downtime doing so.
In the animated series he tries to go straight and ends up making a mint designing and selling puzzleboxes and stuff like that for kids/adults, but his compulsion to outsmart Batman makes him do "one last heist" to get him and he fails.

The Joker is just too old of a character to really define forever. Old-school Batman had him as a jokester gag villain who did theme crimes not all that much different from Calendar Man or Clock Man or whatever. Now he's a nebulously defined psychopath with a hosed up sense of humor who likes loving with Batman and doing whatever happens to amuse him the most right at that moment.

The popular Joker going forward for a long time is probably going to be based on Heath Ledger's anarchist Joker; he finds regular old mobsters and criminals really boring, thinks Batman is a loving hoot because he tries to preserve the system while working outside of it, and wants to prove that society is a "joke" to Batman while simultaneously kinda hoping he doesn't break because he finds his steadfastness fascinating and endlessly fun to poke at.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 20, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think it's been discussed, but man the whole Riddler interrogation thing is kinda un-Batman and there's a lot of it in the latest video.

"OH GOD, DON'T HURT ME, I'LL TALK"

*gets orbital caved in anyway*

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

CuwiKhons posted:

Not only does he leave the Iceberg to Riddler (who had retired from villainy at the time and was working as a detective), but Riddler actually stops by the Iceberg before the assassins show up to talk to his friend and they have a pretty interesting conversation that was ultimately two emotionally constipated people trying to find ways to say "You're my friend, please don't die, I care about you" without actually saying it. Edward had also been struggling with staying away from crime and Ozzie encouraged him to stick with the straight and narrow and stay safe. Then he shoos Edward out of the Iceberg and makes him go home because he knows the assassins are coming and he doesn't want his friend to get caught in the crossfire :smith:
Wow, what issues are these?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
not sure why people are annoyed at the batmobile having guns when it has had guns and missiles and other poo poo in almost all of the movies and frequently elsewhere it has appeared

arkham knight features the batmobile prominently, they need poo poo for you to do in it, drones and unmanned vehicles are a big deal right now in popular media/culture/politics so hey blow up some robotanks and poo poo with it. That's it who cares

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Janderbuilt posted:

In that first fight in old Gotham you can knock every thug off the side into the water with remote batarang boosts eventually. Not the best way to deal with them but it's a hoot. I suppose unconscious and underwater are an unfortunate combination of circumstances but I'm sure those guys will be alright.
It's cartoon logic where if you want someone to survive a fall just have them land in water!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Another reason Mad Stan owned really hard: his VA was Henry Rollins.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

In actuality, he might be making things worse.

I remember hearing a theory that, seeing as Lazarus Pits drive people insane, the fact that Gotham is built on top of one might be influencing all of the madness within the city.
Watch some writer make it so that the chemicals the Joker fell in for his origin story was actually poo poo from the Lazarus Pit adulterated with stuff that made the craziness permanent.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
More :stare: cruelty to literally helpless/begging thugs.

It was kinda creepy how he said "goodnight" before dropping a thug head head first off a 1-story drop onto solid concrete.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

GilliamYaeger posted:

Y'know, I've always wondered why people ask 'Why doesn't Batman just kill the Joker?' instead of 'Why haven't the courts that Batman repeatedly dumps the Joker into sentenced him to death yet?'

Thats a much more worrying question in my mind.
The DC universe is apparently the most liberal universe ever and never executes anyone ever.

Like, accepting that which I think maaaybe I can wrap my head around given that I could see the less morally grey heroes like Superman being skeeved out by the government executing supervillains because they're "dangerous".

My question is: Why keep them all in one place?

Given the poo poo that most villains pull after breaking out a zillion times it would make a bit of sense to kinda split them up over various max-security prisons or facilities. At least that way if they bust out they aren't letting out an entire zoo's worth of superpowered crazies.

Gothsheep posted:

This is kind of pointless discussion, but he's not legally insane. The tests for legal insanity are kind of weird, and I'm not a criminal lawyer by any means (Though someone who is will probably define this later) but as far as I understand it, to be declared legally insane, you have to be able to show that you were not aware your actions were 'wrong'. The Joker does plenty of things to show he's aware what he's doing is wrong. He hides from the police, he taunts Batman, he disguises himself, exc. So it would be a hard sell to convince a jury that he's not aware that the crimes he commits are wrong, legally. Simply lacking empathy and not caring isn't enough to get you an insanity defense.
I can't remember where it's from but IIRC one guy who wrote Joker basically states that not only is Joker not insane, he's so sane he has basically "super sanity". He literally realizes he's in a comic book and just does not give a poo poo anymore.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 10, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
A rogue cop executing captured supervillains and NOT wearing a stupid costume while doing it would be kind of a cool Batman plot.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I had forgotten about this. Ahahah, they DO execute people.

Only uh, not costumed masked murderers.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If there's one thing that's as "videogamey" as the Riddler stuff, it's the fact that despite Batman being poisoned for the majority of the game and dying slowly and his suit getting more and more hosed up, you can keep "upgrading" its armor somehow :v:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Night10194 posted:

Thug #16, though, is just a relatively normal guy who never asked to be in here and has found he has no choice but to join up with the supervillains or die in the cold, riven with guilt over the atrocities he's committed in the name of self preservation and hoping desperately that the Riddler is the lesser of two evils. Finally, Batman arrives and defeats his erstwhile companions, then grabs him. "Don't hurt me! I have information for you!" He says, moments before getting a spiked gauntlet in the eye.

Arkham Batman is kind of a dick.
Batman doesn't kill people.

He may leave them laying face down in a puddle in -20F weather with a shattered orbital and two hyper-extended arms, but he doesn't kill people. :v:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Oh yeah, doesn't that explosion mean that all of the tyger guards you beat unconscious died?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kurieg posted:

Speaking of, Batman's "He'll need a Lazarus Pit" joke seems kind of dark considering he was trying to save him just minutes before and he just had his spine severed symbolically by the Arkham logo.

And the pit can't bring back anyone who's completely dead.
In Under the Red Hood Ras brings back Jason Todd from the dead with one.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Batman Beyond owned really hard outside of the "conclusion" it was given in the Justice League cartoon (spoilers: it's really retarded and destroys the idea of a self-made hero in favor of the dumbest excesses and cliches of comic books where EVERYTHING was planned in advance).

The Return of the Joker movie was actually violent enough that it got censored for broadcast. Like nothing crazy but definitely a bit of a harder edge than the original animated series.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yay, Jenner agrees with me that the "Bruce was made Terry's father by Amanda Waller" thing is completely retarded and bad!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kurieg posted:

The point of that whole sequence was that despite everything that Waller did, she didn't make Terry into Batman. She wanted the Phantasm to kill Terry's parents to try and force him to become Batman, but Andrea told her that that was stupid and not exactly in line with anything batman-y. So Terry had a chance to grow up with both of his parents alive, well into his teenage years, becoming a vastly different person from who Bruce was. And yet he's still Batman. Not because Bruce chose him. But because he chose to be. He stole the Batsuit, Bruce tried to stop him until Terry convinced him to let him try and avenge his parents. And given the opportunity to kill his father's murderer, he chose not to, Batman doesn't kill.
He's still robbed of agency and being self-built since he has Bruce's genes. The whole thing was pointless. It was better when he was just some random punk kid who ended up becoming Batman, and had a completely different life situation top to bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Generally like 90% of really hosed up "problematic" (I hate that word) stuff in 90's comics onward can be summed up with: Frank Miller.

• Locked thread