Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kild posted:

When did Midoriya get powers? Let alone like 7? Asking for a friend

they were always part of o4a

he got the whip power during the matches with the other ua class. the rest were post time skip I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Manatee Cannon posted:

they were always part of o4a

he got the whip power during the matches with the other ua class. the rest were post time skip I think?

Yeah, he woke up blackwhip a little while before class A vs class B, then properly deployed it for the first time during his match in A vs B. The other powers were stated to exist so everyone assumed he'd have another bunch of "discover power, figure out how to use power" story bits but instead he basically discovered all of them and how to utilize them offscreen all at once in the runup to Loner Deku, though most of the times he uses them in battle are technically the first time he uses them - I think Nagant was the first time he used Fa Jin.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 28, 2023

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Kild posted:

I sometimes forget too since it was so long ago, but it was, like, chapter 2. It's back when he was bad at having powers, so you might've missed it.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I'm glad people here are so helpful for a post obviously making fun of another poster for missing Bakugo's apology :)

I had a hard time following what went on, and the language is blurry enough that I will hold off on comments until we get the official translation.

Edit: Well, not everyone.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kild posted:

During the Joint Training Arc with Class 1-B. The rest have just popped up whenever Kishi felt like it.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Prowler posted:

I'm glad people here are so helpful for a post obviously making fun of another poster for missing Bakugo's apology :smile:
That Seven Quirks post was a crack at faulty memory? I knew it was some kind of snide remark given the "asking for a friend" Twitter catchphrase at the end.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Let me tell ya, this manga would be better if it went for being cheesy more often.

There's good cheese, and there's bad cheese, and that poo poo was slices of American cheese

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I have no idea what happened in that chapter and I don’t know if the official translation will help.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I have no idea what happened in that chapter and I don’t know if the official translation will help.

Shigaraki isn’t really okay with being assimilated into AFO’s consciousness as part of a petty long con revenge scheme so he’s taking his body back, that’s about the long and short of it. Also Lady Nagant died again, maybe

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-379/chapter/26169?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1015676

I am once again complaining that a heavily injured Nagant is stronger than a plasma cannon.

Rhonne posted:

I was confused by the shot of the phone camera at the end there. Is some random dude gonna stream the final battle to the world?

Compare the hair. This is Deku's I AM HERE moment, ready to go viral and pervert the mind of a new generation of quirkless children.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
this feels like such a weird time for the final round between Shiggy and Deku to be starting, with there being like 5 more battles to wrap up.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TheHan posted:

this feels like such a weird time for the final round between Shiggy and Deku to be starting, with there being like 5 more battles to wrap up.

and also a D&D revival spell being finished.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

TheHan posted:

85% chance that this will be used as a break point to switch over to another fight.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Lmao, Lady Nagant being brought back only to hit Shigaraki twice and then dying (?) again and it being apparently enough to make AfO fly off his handle and allow Shigaraki to absorb him (?) was dumb as gently caress. Like what?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

oh jay posted:

Compare the hair. This is Deku's I AM HERE moment, ready to go viral and pervert the mind of a new generation of quirkless children.

I had just remembered those kids earlier today. Hair boy is gonna try to become Deku's agent after all of this.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Shigaraki's spiel about his father's house really doesn't do anything for me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh good, a fight between the two most boring characters in the manga.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Oh good, a fight between the two most boring characters in the manga.

That's not Ochako and Toga.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fair counterpoint.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This was a good chapter.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Fabricated posted:

This was a good chapter.

Not really. It's only a matter of time before either AFO grabs control of Shigaraki again, or Shigaraki turns good.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Delphisage posted:

Not really. It's only a matter of time before either AFO grabs control of Shigaraki again, or Shigaraki turns good.

I feel like one obvious route is "Deku and Shigaraki punch each other a lot, Deku 'wins' and manages to somehow tentatively convince Shigaraki to stand down/'save' him, AfO's main body shows up and the proximity allows him to take control of Shigaraki again to reset the fight because this manga absolutely refuses to let a fight end".

Kanos fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 29, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what the heck are the rules here? i don't understand what shigaraki's abilities and limits are from one chapter to the next. destroying his hands wouldn't have worked before because he was generating a hand fractal, sure. but now it does, except he still has at least one additional quirk that let him regenerate exactly one pair of hands. so he has some quirks from afo, but not others?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

There's good cheese, and there's bad cheese, and that poo poo was slices of American cheese

It was good once they got through all the chaff saying their lines

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what the heck are the rules here? i don't understand what shigaraki's abilities and limits are from one chapter to the next. destroying his hands wouldn't have worked before because he was generating a hand fractal, sure. but now it does, except he still has at least one additional quirk that let him regenerate exactly one pair of hands. so he has some quirks from afo, but not others?

It's a really stupid and impossible-to-demonstrate one - if Shiggy feels like he's afraid of the combatant he's up against, then his regen and protective enhancements falter against their attacks. Also this is somehow not a quirk he has, but a "mutation", therefore Aizawa's Erasure has no effect on his defenses.

If there was anyone among the heroes with some kind of emotion-influencing power like the Psycho-Pirate, this fight might be over right now. Ironically, we do have Ms. Joke, but she got sent to the cornfield because her only purpose in this manga was to give Aizawa a case of the Not-Gays while he's being really emotional with Present Mic and Kurogiri to the delight of the BL demographic that's voting him into the Top 10 for it.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 30, 2023

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Delphisage posted:

Nah it's good, actually.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Out of context the chapter is fine imo. It’s just the context that we’ve basically gone thru a bunch of stuff (that was mostly really bad!) that we really could’ve just skipped and spent on other things that sours it for me a little.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah I don't really have any real criticisms of this chapter in a vacuum. It only becomes goofy in the context of stuff from the rest of the arc. Some examples:

• Nagant saving everyone by blowing Shiggy's hands off so he can't kill everyone with Decay is a solid payoff moment for Deku saving and inspiring her. It becomes stupid when put in context of Shigaraki has been constantly generating and regenerating infinite hands for the entire arc and has also repeatedly completely no-sold attacks way bigger than Nagant's gun.
  • Shiggy telling AfO to gently caress himself and throwing off the control is something everyone expected, but, uh, why now? None of the other setbacks or turnarounds bothered AfO enough to shake him, but somehow Nagant shooting him a couple of times rustles him enough that Shiggy decides now's the time?
  • This is setting up what seems to be a climactic final round between these two, but basically every other fight in the arc is completely unresolved, which is kind of weird because this is sort of The Major Fight. It's like if Goku squared up against Freeza while Zarbon, Dodoria, and the Ginyus were still running around.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Shiggy and All For One have been fighting back and fourth over who is in control since the War arc, so I'm going to guess this won't be the last time we see AfO take control. Probably won't be until his main body is actually dead for real this time that this struggle finally ends.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Shiggy and All For One have been fighting back and fourth over who is in control since the War arc, so I'm going to guess this won't be the last time we see AfO take control. Probably won't be until his main body is actually dead for real this time that this struggle finally ends.

like so many other things, it'd work better if other fights were resolved first. the original afo is still running around! his copy is having trouble, big deal.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Does Hori even know how he wants to resolve Ochako vs Toga? Does anyone know how to resolve it in a satisfying way?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

GUNHEAD MARTIAL ARTS

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Delphisage posted:

Does Hori even know how he wants to resolve Ochako vs Toga? Does anyone know how to resolve it in a satisfying way?

Their rivalry was always completely secondhand and really forced("Toga has a crush on Deku and so does Ochako so I guess they can fight each other? Also Tsuyu is here too for some reason"), so I'm not sure if there's a way to resolve it in a satisfying way. Ochako has never really been allowed to connect with Toga in any way beyond "let's have a talk about love" - she doesn't even really understand that what Toga considers "love" is entirely a different concept than what she does.

It really feels like a common shonen problem of "uhh I guess we'll have the girl fight the girl because they're both girls and Ochako needs something to do", which is a shame because MHA has had a couple of decent mixed gender fights like Ochako vs Bakugo.

If anyone should be having a climactic battle with Toga, it should be Hawks, because Hawks is the most direct representative of the poo poo parts of the system that chewed her up and spit her out, and also he personally murdered her best friend. They also both even have the "speedster assassin who stabs people" fighting style going on.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 30, 2023

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The fight and the arc has gone on for a while, so if someone can help clarify, I would appreciate it. Wasn't the point of tomb supposed to be a safeguard to prevent Shimura from decaying the Earth? So if Deku brings Shimura back onto Earth now that he has his quirks back, isn't the Earth at jeopardy?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
At this point I’ve come to realize Hori is probably dying while finishing this so whatever lets him put a bullet in it most cleanly and humanely is A-OK by me

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kanos posted:

Their rivalry was always completely secondhand and really forced("Toga has a crush on Deku and so does Ochako so I guess they can fight each other?

The Toga and Ochako thing is that Toga has crushes on people that she admires and then murders them, Ochako has a crush on Deku but is putting it to the side because she admires him. Toga is able to percieve this similarity and so feels somewhat close to Ochako and Ochako is able to understand that maybe Toga isn't just a freaky vampire villain and kinda a normal person that can be reasoned with deep down. And thus presumably through their fight Ochako will be able to save/help Toga in the same way Deku will save/help Shigaraki.

It's all fairly shallow and one-note but the parralells and narrative are pretty clear.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Nagant should have scored a headshot and ended the fight and the series should have ended with everyone standing around confused wondering why they didn't do that earlier.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The Toga and Ochako thing is that Toga has crushes on people that she admires and then murders them, Ochako has a crush on Deku but is putting it to the side because she admires him. Toga is able to percieve this similarity and so feels somewhat close to Ochako and Ochako is able to understand that maybe Toga isn't just a freaky vampire villain and kinda a normal person that can be reasoned with deep down. And thus presumably through their fight Ochako will be able to save/help Toga in the same way Deku will save/help Shigaraki.

It's all fairly shallow and one-note but the parralells and narrative are pretty clear.

Yes, I understand, and it's very forced. Their entire rivalry is through the lens of the underbaked "Ochako has a crush on Deku" B-plot, and said rivalry is introduced by Ochako running into Toga in the woods and Toga going "ah, you must like this boy too!". There's no real reason for Toga to personally give a poo poo about Ochako at all beyond that incredibly tenuous connection, and the manga even lampshades this to a degree by Toga almost literally turning to Ochako and saying "okay I have way more important things to worry about than love chat, bye" when she gets teleported out.

I don't really know how this super tenuous connection really puts Ochako in a position to save Toga in a way that feels narratively satisfying, either. The core root of Toga's tragedy is that her entire conception of love and affection is out of step with what's viewed as acceptable by society, and instead of accommodating this or helping her to deal with it, everyone around her shunned and reviled her. As far as Ochako's aware, Toga is just a freaky stalker who murders people she claims to love. All of their interactions have consisted of Toga going "I love you!" before trying to violently stab Ochako and drink her blood - she has no idea that this is a biological compulsion and a complete difference in sensory perception, rather than Toga just being a mentally ill murderer. There's no basis for Ochako to understand the root of Toga's problems and how to approach convincing her to try again to address them, short of Toga literally explaining the situation to her - which she could do to anyone.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Flair posted:

The fight and the arc has gone on for a while, so if someone can help clarify, I would appreciate it. Wasn't the point of tomb supposed to be a safeguard to prevent Shimura from decaying the Earth? So if Deku brings Shimura back onto Earth now that he has his quirks back, isn't the Earth at jeopardy?

Deku has Black Whip on both of Shigaraki's wrists preventing him from touching the ground as long as Deku is alive/conscious/ambulatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Can't Shigaraki just like, make a billion more hands at this point