Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I wish voice chat worked in an actual radius instead of just citywide. That way when you roll around town blaring music its actually kind of funny instead of incredibly annoying. APB did it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Great Beer posted:

That's stupid. Any way to trick/cheat the game into thinking I'm a returning player?

I use this with no issues. It's not a mod in a traditional sense, I guess its just the file from a guy who has the DLC.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mokbek posted:

How long have you been using that? Any chance of getting banned?

I guess I should have clarified. When I said its not a mod, I mean it. When someone has the DLC something about one of those files changes, it's just a flip to switch. In the end, you have files that are from Rockstar. Since you can do the same thing by having a friend play the prologue for you on 360, you don't even have to own GTA 5 on console to get this. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to think there's anything suspicious about you having the DLC.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Songbearer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv-ZJqOco6Y&hd=1

Explosions! Explosions! EXPLOSIONS! EXPLOSIONS! This video has it alEXPLOSIONS

What the hecks going on with your lighting?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've been trying to work out some unholy combination of mouse and controller. 90% of the time i use the controller but in any situation where I feel I may benefit from aiming I keep my left hand on the gamepad and use the mouse to aim. This would be much easier if I could remap gamepad keys but alas. So I aim with the left trigger, analog movement, weapon wheel on RB or aiming in a car. I wish my mouse had more buttons but I only have two side buttons, so I use the mouse wheel up and down as separate buttons. Luckily I can still zoom in and out with the d-pad. I use right mouse button for sprint/accelerate since its probably going to be the most used, middle mouse button click goes into cover, top side button jump/handbrake. That leaves reload on mousewheel down, enter vehicle on mousewheel up (doesn't have to be the exit vehicle button, I have that mapped to middle mouse button since you don't use cover inside cars).

The one thing I particularly like about it is that I'll show up as a controller user in the stats screen. Though I'm not really sure how it would be able to tell which you prefer.

I should also mention that my preferred control scheme is Standard FPS 2.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

hagie posted:

I would use the controller more if I could invert the X axis also. Found the usual Y inversion, but haven't found the X

Can't say I've ever heard anyone make this request before. So do you prefer to play Earthbound with the mushroom on your head or what?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Every time I see an Armored Kuruma I think to myself "Oh, time to have less fun than I was previously having". So much so that I am considering making a No Kuruma Crew just so that can play free-roam with like-minded individuals.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The roll has to do with sprinting, I'm never mashing anything when I roll. That guy seems to be sprinting the entire time. Speaking of which, if you are using mouse and keyboard, don't be mashing sprint. Took me a while to realize it since I switch between gamepad and mouse so often, but there's no button tap mechanic to sprinting. If you are tapping the button, you are just toggling sprint on and off. Is this how it works if you end up binding sprint to L3? I haven't figured out how to heavy bike sprint with the mouse and keyboard. I also can't quite figure out swimming, is there some sort of sprint with that on the surface? Cause I just seem to dive underwater whenever I try.

Keshik posted:

Jesus Christ this loving game is 99.99996% sitting in a goddamned lobby waiting for three people to join you, then praying one of them doesn't loving decide to quit the moment you get to the next heist setup screen, thus crashing to not back to the previous screen, not even back into the GTA Online session, but back into loving STORY MODE SO YOU HAVE TO RELOAD GTA ONLINE AGAIN SO IT TAKES loving FOREVER

WHO THE gently caress DESIGNED THIS poo poo

Do some solo missions. What rank are you? As you rank up, stuff starts to unlock in the world like gang attacks and armored trucks and stuff. Take a chill pill and just drive around for a bit.

I said come in! posted:

This why i'll never touch heists. They were cooler in the single player.

Finally did my first heist last night. My buddy unlocked his high end apartment so we did the Fleeca job together. We managed to do almost do it on the first go except at the very end it was kind of unclear as to how the game wanted you to escape so I tried to get creative and ended up missing whatever time limit was on there when I got stuck for a few seconds. Kinda don't see the point of the helicopter escape, the police have helicopters too and the Armored Kuruma is almost certainly more durable than that helicopter. Also if I was being lifted off anyway, why not use the helicopter as the getaway vehicle to begin with? The whole drive up I was trying to call in my jetski in hopes of using that, but was ultimately disappointed.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 20, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Chickpea Roar posted:

swim fast by holding shift*, and dive with space bar.

Edit: On the surface. Underwater shift is just the regular swimming button, and there's no sprint.

When I swim I'm usually using the gamepad, and with the Standard FPS 2, RB is both sprint and dive. So I guess I just need to hold it. Thanks!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mondian posted:

Nope, you don't have to sprint, the roll just happens when you're holding a direction when you land. If I don't press any directional button I just land square on my feet.

My bad, I should have tested it before stating it as a fact. When I read this I suddenly wondered what would happen if you would hold backwards when you landed and I the first thing that came to mind was a backflip but somehow I doubt this is the case. If it was though, I would go backwards off of every single ledge.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So I just learned that there are buses and jets that can hold up to 16 people. What is the most effective way to utilize this information? I was disappointed that there were no boats of this nature. Did I overlook something?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think the vehicle armor should be mostly cosmetic. I don't think you should be able to "level up" your armor, especially when those level ups are gated by what level you are. Unless those armor upgrades were represented by physical armor that could be shot off of the car to reveal weak spots or something. It sucks being low level vs people with max armor when you dont even have the option to save up. These people never get to the point where they can reliably take down an Armored Kuruma because they are too frustrated by that point.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I meant the blowing up of the cars. You can level up the armor in the shop, which presumably would allow your engine to take more sustained fire. It's also lame in PvE because I know that if I get a teammate with an Armored Kuruma he is going to never ever leave it, he will stumble around like an idiot but still eventually manage to win because he is invincible. Meanwhile I'm out there takin risks pullin off some awesome action movie poo poo even if I do end up dying. If the objective forces him to leave his car, he will be immediately killed by the first enemy he encounters. Compared to previous games, cars are already fairly difficult to blow up with just regular firearms, unless maybe if you happen to know where the fuel tank is on each vehicle. Could that be a thing?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 22, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

T1g4h posted:

Man, I seriously wish all the fun and cool visual car mods weren't locked behind level requirements. I want to throw Shakotan exhaust on my Ruiner and make it bosozoku as gently caress, but I'm like 5 levels away from the requirement and I really don't feel like grinding missions to get there :sigh:

The trick is to attain a zen state where you just play the game without a clear goal and then suddenly you're 10 levels higher before you know it. However, it only takes a few turds in the punch bowl to knock you out of the zen, like a hacker pops in and blows up your server. I usually start my game session by trying to find a pimp ride to sell to Los Santos Customs and see what happens from there.

Weed helps.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I

hagie posted:

I keep hoping to run into a Santa Hacker.

Hung around with one for a little while yesterday but no luck

I got santa'd after doing some jet ski tricks with a hacker. I alt f4'd at the exact moment he santa'd me (by coincidence, I didn't know what his plans were) and I ended up with 200k. I'm pretty satisfied with that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I was bemoaning the lack of fast travel when I realized that I could set my spawn to last location and then do ANY parachute activity, and now I go wherever and get paid to do it. Fuckin Tony Starkin that poo poo all day

Edit: AND it goes by where you actually land so you can just say gently caress the checkpoints entirely. If you had a selected vehicle you spawn inside of it wherever the closest road is to where you land

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 31, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I was bemoaning the lack of fast travel when I realized that I could set my spawn to last location and then do ANY parachute activity, and now I go wherever and get paid to do it. Fuckin Tony Starkin that poo poo all day

Edit: AND it goes by where you actually land so you can just say gently caress the checkpoints entirely. If you had a selected vehicle you spawn inside of it wherever the closest road is to where you land

To expand further on this you can pick the job and then immediately divebomb the ground without ever opening your chute and you will still spawn wherever you land. Seems you get the regular payout as long as you hit the very last checkpoint. Might be a quick getaway if someone starts loving with you, bonus points if you watch them approach on the map, disappear from radar, kill them and then parachute off someplace else

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 31, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is there even a penalty for dying if you aren't carrying over 5k? And even then it's literally $500. If you get mad for dying you are a crybaby.

That said, one time I saw a high priority car on the map. I went for it and spent like 10-15 min getting to it and getting it to the dock while avoiding players. I pulled it into the garage and was headshot from behind. I'm pretty sure the car vanished at that point and nobody got anything. I was stunned.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Fishstick posted:

Is there a way to stop getting notifications from outside-session pubbie invites? The notification menu in settings isn't exactly clear on what counts as what

I turn off Phone Alerts I think it is. You still get the sounds though...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Resdfru posted:

Has anyone ever been banned for using that mod that unlocks returning players content? I really want the monster truck and dodo.

This one is safe.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Things GTA Online needs:

The ability to sit and/or lean on things
Proximity-based voice chat
A way to queue quick jobs with friends

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

JediTalentAgent posted:

Along the lines of this, I've just gotten back into playing GTA Online and I sort of wonder the following:

Bounties: Would they work better by representing a bounty's position as a larger red circle (sort of like how gang things are) rather than an icon? That way you only know a general area a bounty is and have to search for them a bit harder while a bounty now has to hide a bit more carefully. Additional change along these lines, players (both bounties and hunters) become invisible on the radar inside the area the bounty is hiding in, to force each one to be more alert to suspicious characters, cars, etc. in their general area.

I forgot two more things to add to what GTA Online needs:

Stealth to remove your blip in free-roam
The ability to buy as many properties as you want, as long as the total car count ends up at 30. Why do the low end garages even exist right now?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Vittek posted:

They could also add a plastic surgeon. Change your appearance for 200k or so. And some more, bigger golf courses damnit.

Just so you guys know, if you have the ability to make a second level 1 character you can do a glitch that lets you remake your entire character. It involves getting to level 6, getting the prompt to change your appearance, cutting your internet to get back to singleplayer and then selecting "choose character" from that single player session. Totally works, plus you get to keep all the money you made leveling to 6 because your characters share the same bank account. WARNING: it will delete your saved outfits except for whatever you are wearing at the time you do the glitch.

Also gently caress Rockstar for not letting you change your facial expressions during character creation. Making the face look like a face during all he facial expressions is the most important part! Saints Row 2 did it :colbert:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I am also very annoyed with how watercraft is handled. A few times I've tried to call in a water escape which is a bitch in itself considering you have to make a phone call. Then the drat thing spawns a mile away. Can't even customize anything

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I

Pumpy Dumper posted:

How much better is driving with a controller vs KB+M? I've been trying to race with KB+M but I've lost like 15 consecutive races (also it's new character so driving is still somewhat low). But I always see even other low levels with controllers and they win or come second.
It varies from car to car. Basically it comes down to how hard it turns. Big vehicles turn slowly so a tap of the button will turn slightly. On sportier vehicles 1 tap can send you pretty far. I've also recently discovered that if you accelerate and brake at the same time during a turn you do this easy to control drift thing, something that is much more awkward with a keyboard. Did you know that you have a shitload of control any time your vehicle is airborne? With mouse and keyboard it's much less obvious because it doesn't use the controls for walk forward and walk backward like you would expect it to

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

TheDarkFlame posted:

On the plus side, Alta Street is pretty central, which is great for getting to any of the three chop shops, the airport, various clothing stores, etc. After playing a solid year after launch (and intermittently since then) I know pretty much how to get from that place to whatever I need. But it's more expensive than every ten-car garage, so I would say if you need a heisting apartment, Alta Street is great, but if you have one already then unless it's in the arse-end of nowhere you're fine. Maybe once they up the cap for houses and garages, but you know.

On the note of being in the arse-end of nowhere, I know we've been saying this for a while now but I would really love having a 10 car garage/apartment up north of the city. The few times I play nowadays, I barely leave the city, which is a shame.

So buy a house? Is not having a four additional custom cars really that big of a dealbreaker? I mean yeah it sucks that there's no 10 car garages out in the country but it's not going to stop me from buying one of those 6 car houses at the top of the map.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Personally I try to drive a different car for every day of the week.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I have a lovely little house behind a grocery store way at the top of the map. It's just so authentically lovely! The only problem is that the layout is exactly the same as the mid-range apartments except theres curtains over every window.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

theguybro posted:

Has anybody hosed around with GTALua? I saw it on gta--forums and it looks ok. It's open source, so there's a lot of poo poo that can be changed to the base itself. Only down side is it uses scripthook lol.

Either way, I started a small repo for scripts, and I'm interested in atleast trying to get something to work with this. I've added a whole bunch of poo poo, but I'm by no means a Lua expert at all, and would like to work with someone if anybody is interested in trying to make something for goons, and also get some natives knowledge out of this.

I want to slowly port over some stuff from my magic.dll to this. If anybody wants to get something going shoot me a PM or something. I won't be adding all of the "fuckery" into this because that would ruin the game, and I would rather the mod creators who copy paste poo poo not copy paste poo poo.

Anyways, GTALua is ok, but it still uses ScriptHook (only downside of it). If anybody has already used it in the past or still uses it, what is performance like for larger scripts? Is it laggy? FPS drops? I haven't noticed any yet, but that's because there's nothing special yet in the script.

Edit: Also, there's a whole bunch of natives that either don't exist in it or are used incorrectly by Freaaaky (the dude who made GTALua engine) so that would require some fixing to do.

Edit2: I remember seeing some goon write that he's been working on Lua related poo poo a little while ago when I was checking out project.log to see if any interesting projects are happening. If that goon is still around, PM me.
I think you said you were using GTALua.

I was glancing at it back when modding first started. Seems legit, and from what I saw it's way easier to use and understand than normal lua. The only issue is that I'm pretty sure a mod created in GTALua wouldn't be compatible with other mods that aren't written in GTALua. So unless he can get the majority of the mod community on board with it, I think it may eventually just die out. I suggest checking out their iRC channel (pretty sure its just #gtalua) and talking with the guys in there. When I was in there weeks ago they were discussing mods they were creating that would work in multiplayer.

As far as performance, I would imagine that the performance would be better. I'm pretty sure that's the main draw of GTALua, the idea is to condense long phrases and code into much shorter and equally functional ones. And also to make the names of the natives more logical and user-friendly. For instance, to make a wait timer in normal lua is unnecessarily complicated and takes up several lines of code and you need to use it quite frequently or the scripts will execute too quickly and not work or something. And if you do it in an inefficient way it can inadvertently gently caress up other scripts for no obvious reason. A mod I had with a bad wait timer would disable every other mod for the duration of the wait timer.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I forgot to mention one hilarious hack that someone did to me. I was wandering around in first person, exploring somewhere, when all of a sudden my character is pushed forward. I turn around and a dude that looks like Jesus is standing there pointing a shotgun at me. He says "I forgive you" and blows me away. I sit there stunned for a few seconds and just bust out laughing. I wasn't sure what happened until I saw Jesus teleport to me and try again. I also didn't know about the NPC in GTA 5 that looks like Jesus (this is who shot me) so it was a pretty big WTF moment.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I know I'm late to the Scyron rage fest, but I felt it worth mentioning that the mod thread is for GTA V. It would be quite inappropriate to talk about GTA Online, a completely separate game in a thread about GTA V. In other news I think I can finally start playing this game again after Ark starts to release its rock-hard grip on me.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 15, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SplitSoul posted:

Yeah, my fault, I'm in the middle of exams and haven't kept up at all. It would be a great help if people would link all the cool mods they've discovered in that thread, so I can update the OP (sometime next week, probably).

It's because most of the mods suck or aren't being maintained when they break in half during every update. Now they trickle out at speeds so slow that I stopped checking up on them. I used to be able to check every day and find something brand new to gently caress with

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm not terribly enthused about new Heists, but to be fair I haven't actually done them all. I did the first two, they seemed like missions from the Singleplayer game except now instead of NPCs they are populated with people who have done the mission you are on 10,000 times and are looking for the most optimal way to do it in order to grind cash. I guess I never really gave them a fair shake.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I fired up GTA Online and decided to do the Blow Up missions in order to get back into the swing of things. Imagine my surprise when they were gone! RIP

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

deep impact on vhs posted:

kuruma is a trump card and is seriously annoying

I agree completely. I'd go so far as to say its ruined the game. To that end, I refuse to buy one.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I don't take "this game sucks" rants seriously from people who have played a game for hundreds of hours and obviously enjoyed themselves. The main reason I quit is because literally every single person I met in the game was driving a stupid Armored Kuruma, and I loving haaaaate those stupid cars... does everyone still drive them? Would anyone like to be friends with me and play this game with the pledge of never using an Armored Kuruma unless forced to?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 25, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Am I the only one that doesn't see a big deal here? I can't help but think as I watch that video, the gameplay still sucks and the prettier maps aren't adding anything.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You uninstalled GTA 5 to make room for Blops? Somewhere, a nerd silently sheds a tear.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zaphod42 posted:

For sure, the best character customization ever. Too bad there wasn't much of a game around that character builder. :v:

Way more poo poo to do vs other players than in GTA Online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Look at ya'll grindin poo poo out in GTA

• Locked thread