Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Selphie has learned only one thing in life, but learned it well: the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Ergo, she has determined to be tough enough to plow through all obstacles to travel that straight line.

On the whole the party would probably accomplish all their goals more easily and faster if their first response to any problem was "do whatever Selphie says".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Valiantman posted:

That's some impressive amount of arbitrary reasons for reducing points. Asking a wounded person how he's doing? NO Jumping down a small cliff? NO Chatting with your squad members? NONONO

That's basically the point I think. They want to create this deliberate contrast between what SeeD actually is (magically enhanced teenage mercenaries) and how Balamb Garden is actually organized (anime high school). They'll practically alternate between one and the other- Cid gives a team coach pep talk, Quistis gives a serious mission briefing. Seifer gives Zell the lamest insulting name he can think of, actually talking to Seifer or Zell costs you points. There's definitely a conscious effort to hit the player with some dissonance over the whole thing, although in the end, as the plot takes shape, I really don't think they succeed at all.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

I agree a little profanity would feel more in character to Seifer, but he's still fundamentally just calling him a chicken. Zell's enough of a doofus to let that get to him but not exactly A material from Seifer here.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Can you get Malboro cards from someone in Balmb Garden? I've always viewed Bad Breath as kind of a precursor to Doomtrain.

(I'm not sure all of that needs to be spoilered but figured better to be safe.)

I'm... preeeeeetty sure you can, yeah. Been a long time though, so could be wrong. Most likely from the gatekeeper dude (I forget if we've played them so tag) though; they're basically the best player in Balamb/Garden. Although....

MagusofStars posted:

As fun as it is to play, the FF8 card game has the sad flaw that no opponent will ever, at any point, have a deck that can come anywhere close to yours.

That is 100% true.

CmdrKing fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 12, 2014

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Gnoman posted:

"Renzokuken" is one of the only untranslated Japanese bits in the game, and translates to something like "Continual Sword." Given the otherwise superb translation, I don't know why this was left in.

I imagine it's a sort of precursor to the convention they ultimately went with for the series; things that are intended to be 'foreign', ie overtly ninja or samurai inspired abilities and gear, were simply left in Japanese. Some of Squall's techniques and imagery seem intended to evoke that feel, so leaving his limits in Japanese would fit that aesthetic. Trouble is they ultimately actually translated all his other skills and weapons, so Renzokuken is just this weird outlier in the game as it exists now.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Iretep posted:

Does it ever get explained why Galbadia decided to attack Dollet? If they just wanted to fix the tower it would have probably been way cheaper to just rent it.

I imagine they invaded because otherwise how would we know they're the bad guys. But yeah the game does give a reason for this... Relatively soon, so patience.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

It's been a while, but my memory is dropping the boss into repair mode a second time in a fight counts as a 'kill' for purposes of generating AP, so you can AP farm the thing, but I think doing so is worth 20 instead of 50. And of course you're completely tanking your SeeD score doing things this way.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Selphie Tilmitt, Ace Stalker.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

Force Your Way is the best boss theme in the series. :colbert:

(it is also a gigantic bitch and a half on ultimate difficulty in theatrhythm ff: curtain call)

It's basically unaltered from its time as DLC in the first Theatrhythm, where it held the proud distinction of "hardest song in the DLC". It's now straight up the hardest song in the game, with only FFIX's Battle 2 really coming close.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

We should obviously give Library Girl with Pigtails a name too. In keeping with series tradition, she can be Sarah.

Diablos kinda has a perfect name already though. I mean, I guess if El Diablos fits, but I don't think it does.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

honestly it's kinda pointless to talk about Rinoa at this point because the things wrong with her, while kinda-sorta there if you already know how the game finishes, aren't really relevant until later. Probably the simplest non-spoilery way to put it for people wondering why there's such hate would be that Rinoa would have to be an exceptionally good character to pull off what the plot asks of her as we continue the game, and whether you find her likable or not? Very few would consider her exceptionally interesting or well-written.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

We could probably wank our way into justifying this worldwide broadcast, but it'd require FFVIII Tvs to work differently from any real-world models. We'd basically have to assume that, despite being 17 years since it was physically possible to broadcast, TVs are designed to scan radio frequencies and automatically display any signal besides the static it picked up. Which is loving nuts to say the least. I mean maaaaybe TVs are government issue and not privately manufactured? We are making a fuckton of assumptions at this point.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

There's another hole in the simpler explanations, but I'm not sure if the game has presented the information needed to work it out yet. Have they name dropped the other major power yet? I really don't remember.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Molly Millions posted:

I hate this scene as-presented. You have no idea what's going on and for some reason the translation here (and only here) is exceptionally bad. Like, FF7-level bad. Laguna's stupid "say common phrases wrong" is a specific type of humor in Japan but not really something we do in English. It makes the dialog hard to follow and that's on top of the fact that the characters are in a situation that's confusing to the player (and the characters viewing this dream sequence) by design.

If they'd spent less time on the doesn't-quite-work humor and more time time discussing how they wound up where they are and why, it would at least ground the scene a little. IMO while this section is very pretty and has cool music, it's the first low point in the game. Stuff perks right back up after this, but it's a definite sign of things to come.

The pity being it's sorta essential for lots of other stuff later in the game. Now that it's actually been said, yeah, this is pretty terrible for the game. I've probably been giving too much credit to other things for derailing FFVIII and not enough to this sequence not doing it's job properly.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Fionordequester posted:

You know, I didn't really like this sequence either...but it wasn't because of Laguna butchering expressions. In fact, that was actually one of my favorite parts! Some people take it as bad translation, but I personally took it as him just being a huge goof-ball, who thinks he's being clever. Like, he expects to come across as really wise, but instead, he ends up just baffling Kiros and Ward, which frustrates him in turn...I dunno, I thought it was funny.

The intent there is good. the issue is that it's a questionable localization. While they clearly tried to create some english expressions that were intelligible to the situation, that particular quirk doesn't come across as well as it should to an english audience. It's an effective enough translation, but if we take the goal of localization as "does not draw attention to the fact any translation has occurred at all" then it's failed that. It's a very Japanese quirk even if the expressions used are english language ones.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

I agree more or less, but I think that's the complaint. I remember thinking Laguna's lines here were kinda weird, but I eventually just put it down to him being a weird guy.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

eating only apples posted:

Playing Theatrhythm has revived my love for Man With A Machine Gun and... basically no other songs except two spoilery ones. Even the DLC tracks for this game suck. :(

e: no actually the cave song, Find Your Way, is great.

Mmm. Well, the DLC does include Liberi Fatali, which isn't a great stage but a decent enough song. Shuffle or Boogie I like more than i thought. The other DLC are... two songs we haven't heard yet, which I like a lot but may not be for everyone.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

My best guess with Enc-None is that the game did not intend for most players to actually get Diablos right then. Note how his position on the menu is a space or two down from Siren- they seemed to assume players would ignore the thing until roughly the start of disc 2. If we figure the first dungeon in disc 2 is spent learning it, this would actually put learning Enc-None past the halfway point of the game in terms of areas we'd traditionally term dungeons.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Oh, god yes. Let it never be said that FFVIII's dedicated dungeons aren't loving stupid*

*Except the last one, it can stay. The rest of you are drunk go home.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

As goddamned stupid as The Plan is, it does ultimately lead to two of my favorite moments for Squall, so I just can't mock it with the gusto it deserves.

I always felt like the whole General's Daughter angle really cheapened Rinoa as a character though, the first step in her long slide towards being what derails the game as a whole. Like, her being a Galbadian is fine, but by making her Caraway's daughter it gives the whole thing the air of "daddy is just SO MEAN and I'll totally get back at him for it!!" which just triggers a massive eyeroll reaction for me.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Extra Tasty posted:

Also re: Rinoa. I see what they were trying to do with her whole development here, and there's actual opportunity for there to be nuance and intrigue. The least they could have done was make Caraway a little more...I don't know, outwardly evil or something? Just to give her an actual reason to rebel against him beyond something so typical.

Really I wish they'd had some sort of little flashback for their falling out. Hell, if memory serves, Rinoa never in fact discusses what exactly caused her and her father to stop getting along. It'd be a little contrived, but you could even tie together her basic character arc with it. General Caraway is inspecting the Timber Garrison and has to take Rinoa along because her mother has recently died. She sees something awful, could be a lot of things. Hungry kid in the street lets say. Gives him some jewelry to trade for food. A soldier sees it and arrests the dude and gives it back to Caraway to suck up. He doesn't believe that Rinoa gave it away, and seeing the kid locked up when she was trying to help forms the foundation of her drive to liberate Timber. Not great, a little contrived, but it's something y'know?

Testekill posted:

If Quistis realised that "ah poo poo, she's gonna run off and go through with her plan anyway if I don't stop her" then that would be something and would imply that she's actually thinking about other people. But nope it's just "she's upset because of me so I better apologise"

Recurring problem in FFVIII, really (although the worst of it has yet to come). They come up with some really stupid reason to make something happen for a plot contrivance, when they could do the exact same twist with a simpler and more believable explanation. It could be a substantially less silly game by changing single lines of dialog, it's crazy.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

Basically, yeah. Dissidia's Squall is a post-FF8 Squall from what I can tell (so don't go pokin around for those who want to avoid spoiling the LP). On the other hand, I have to assume that every Cloud used outside FF7 is plucked from Disc 1. That also goes for Advent Children which baffles me. The Cloud by the end of FF7 is such a likable character that shows growth, but emo sad guy is the one the Japanese want I guess.

Crisis Core is the only exception I know of, and even there he's not exactly chipper. Still, it makes sense for 14 year old Cloud to be a bit down, being a Shinra Grunt and all. Also one of several reasons people like Crisis Core, for all its faults it actually remembers what FFVII itself was like most of the time and tries to synch up with it.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

The best sharpshooter that Galbadia garden had, for this ultra-important mission, is an amateur who has a history of choking under pressure.

The most fair we can even be is that there just might not be any other snipers in Garden really. I don't think that's true either, but it's semi-plausible I suppose. I mean, we've mostly seen Galbadian soldiers fight with some sort of knockoff gunblades and throw spider-bots at us, and considering that pseudo-magic (and the para-magic Garden uses) seems fairly common in the world actual firearms might be relatively rare now. I guess when you can throw a fireball the appeal of a gun is somewhat diminished so nobody specializes in it? Although you'd think a place like Galbadia Garden would select specializations based on aptitude, not just let students pick whatever.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

I don't think I have ever taken the second option in the torture sequence there.

I suddenly feel like I've wasted my life.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

They need to hammer the "Rinoa = Angel" symbolism as much as possible. It was that or make Rinoa look like David Boreanaz.

Which would definitely hammer home that Squall has to learn to love himself at least.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

I almost always took a male/female split here, so I'm not... entirely sure I've ever seen anyone but Irvine comment on the Most Athletic Soldier in Galbadia. He's a bit better at it than Quistis as I recall, but still, good effort.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

If you don't think he was playing the Triple Triad version of this:

then you need to get out of here.

He was even humming Shuffle or Boogie. They still didn't know he was in there.

Our opponents are not very bright is the real takeaway from all this.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Sure, everyone loves him and looks up to him, but there's never a good reason given for that besides "well he's Squall and sooo cool!"

While the rest of the list is fair, this is pretty easy to explain. Squall intentionally specialized in a weapon that's apparently so hard to learn that exactly one person in the history of SeeD, Squall, has successfully mastered it and become a SeeD. While his intent where was almost certainly along the lines of mastering something difficult in order to prove his dedication (and thus seem more adult), the practical effect is that he's a kid in high school who did something ridiculously hard and showy and pulled it off. People notice that sort of thing. Probably more importantly though is his relationship with Seifer. Seifer, being head of the disciplinary committee, is essentially the school bully, except with (ill-defined) officially sanctioned authority. Squall, apparently routinely, gets into swordfights with him. For Squall this is just a means of training, but to an onlooker at Garden this again looks like him doing something amazingly badass. While the whole school going gaga for him like they seem to is a stretch, that a lot of people do idolize him makes sense for the setting and sort of story this is.

Similarly everyone going "DO SOMETHING SQUALL" here does have an explanation; Squall turned the drat thing on. That he was flailing at the control panel while doing so doesn't mean much, it still means he knows more about it (he might, say, remember what he flailed at right before something happened) than literally anyone else there.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Bigger problems, dude.

Which he can do precisely jack and poo poo about because he's in a flying fortress with no steering wheel in the middle of the ocean.

Actually, that's basically the point. Squall to this point has been very focused on the mission at hand, the big problems right in front of him. And most of them have only gotten worse because he's been unwilling to examine them more closely or voice the very valid concerns we've seen going on in his head. "Keep your mouth shut, private fears private, follow orders, and look at the Big Picture" is the mentality that lead Squall to be helplessly floating in the ocean with half of his friends dead as far as he knows and himself and everyone he knows probably being hunted by the biggest and most aggressive military in the world.

At this point Squall has finally said "Wait, that was loving STUPID. What the gently caress is wrong with me." And he came up with an answer.

Don't get me wrong, angsty introversion can be loving annoying and not liking Squall is completely fair, but the problem is definitely not him sweating the small poo poo.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Kajeesus posted:

Kingdom Hearts has always been a weird blend of the wacky and the melodramatic. The melodrama has definitely been getting worse in later entries, though. The series is in kind of a weird place since the lead designer is going for Kojima levels of convolutedness, but does not have the magical touch.

I think they finally found the right balance in 3D. The main villain slouching upon his five story throne monologuing his entire plot to Mickey Mouse, complete with wistful acknowledgement of his failures in the previous games? Yeah, it's pretty great. Generally though I think people are more talking KH2 specifically for sliding too far on the melodrama scale, because yeah it just never quite works.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE posted:

:agreed:

And as with Final Fantasy, I quit forever after the ninth

Considering that they lost all momentum around book 6 and only got good again at book 11, I don't think anyone could fault that decision.

ALTHOUGH. The Sanderson books are great and if you can struggle through book 10 there is a lot to be said for everything after that.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

quote:

Also, apparently the faculty were: A, in charge of library acquisitions; B, lovely at it; C, dumped into the ocean after we killed NORG.

Mmmm. That almost makes the whole lost at sea bit worth it. Pity we didn't get that scene.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Is all this poo poo happening in a month? How is the Garden making money now they're clearly no longer deploying SeeD's? Shouldn't they be running out of supplies? If people can rip apart Fallout 3 because of "what do they eat?" I can do the same for this game.

It's a garden, they grow their own food, duh!

(I'll see myself out)

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

I can't hate Snow. For starters, Troy Baker's charisma absolutely bleeds through into the character. And well then we get things like the classic STEELGUARD! sketch.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

There is absolutely no way whatever's about to happen is going to live up to all this hype.

Quite likely. The next scene just happens to be probably the most remembered aspect of the game, and it's remembered for being a complete faceplant as a bit of writing. So people fixate a bit on it.

There's a few other parts that are probably dumber in a vacuum, but they have a sort of charm in their stupid. I dearly look forward to the ever escalating batshit insanity of mid disc 3.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

For my money the trouble with the scene is that they sorta double down on everything. EVERYONE was at the orphanage, EVERYONE that wasn't Irvine forgot, EVERYONE immediately pins the whole thing to GF usage. Everyone having that shared background with Edea is important to the plot, so that particular coincidence needs to be there. But they want it to be a reveal, so they don't hint at it until now. They then assume players are going to wonder why nobody brought it up before, so they bake in the GF thing in the background material. Which makes sense, except... most people don't care THAT much. The kids were 5, most people don't remember people they met when they were 5 unless they keep meeting them regularly! They could as easily have just had Irvine be that odd person who really does remember early childhood well and jog everyone else back to it, and it wouldn't have seemed like such an avalanche of coincidence to the audience. Separately the different components of this scene fit well with the lore or themes of the game, but putting them all together like this is a lot to take in at once for the the majority of the audience who doesn't go digging through Selphie's Garden Blog or religiously stalk NPCs.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

It's honestly almost like two separate games that allow you to import your party between them.

I legitimately refer to Discs 3 and 4 as Final Fantasy VIII-2 sometimes. It plays more like a batshit crazy sequel to save the fallen love interest than part of the same narrative and even among people who've never seen the term they know EXACTLY what I mean by it (at least, if they've played the actual FFX-2... although I guess FFXIII-2 also retcons FFXIII so it can also have that plot come to think of it...)

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

And here we are. The end of sanity. Once we begin crossing that bridge, each successive update will be more ~Magical~ than the last.

In which light, it's only appropriate for Selphie to lead the charge. Sure there's no train, but there's train tracks, she'll provide the rest.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

quote:

And so, Squall climbs the invisible ladder into the sky hole...

Oh Disc 3. You provide so many delightful sentences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

wait, why are they going to the moon to begin with?

Well, that's where Ellone is.

There reason for that is pretty obvious once we get there. The reason for the reason is a little contrived but all things considered it sorta makes sense if you think about it. The reason for the reason for the reason is pretty awesome actually, and since Cool Ghost has been pointing things out as we go it'll make sense.

Of course since they have three things that sorta make sense within the story as written we will instead find a much more dumb coincidence that's a lot more vital to the plot instead, because that's how FFVIII rolls. But I love that about the game.

Basically we're... oh, two, maybe three updates away from peak FFVIII, so buckle up and :getin:

• Locked thread