Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Holy poo poo, a new FF VIII LP! I actually enjoyed some of what Leovinus tried to do, even if a lot of the jokes were stale. Never saw Azure_Horizon's take but I assume it was terrible.

I'm glad to see you're taking this on, Cool Ghost. This game needs a steady hand to do a moderately serious LP. I look forward to debating stupid lore and insufferable fan theories in the future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I appreciate that you can break the game pretty much immediately after the first dungeon. When I played it as a kid, I just drew spells randomly, didn't grind, and didn't really overpower the game until the last disc when you can draw awesome stuff incredibly easily. It was challenging, the system was pretty unique, and I had a lot of fun. But I forgot pretty much every major plot point except for like two or three big ones. Looking forward to the :psyduck: moments in this LP.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

I like Zell, he may have ADHD and be a huge goof, but he's just so earnest and cheerful (without being obnoxiously so).

Your threshold for "obnoxiously so" is a lot higher than mine.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Zell was one of my first crushes. And is probably the only reason I bothered to finish this game.

Obligatum VII posted:

I like Zell, he may have ADHD and be a huge goof, but he's just so earnest and cheerful (without being obnoxiously so).

Simply Simon posted:

Zell is one of only two good characters in your party

Attestant posted:

In retrospect, Zell is a loving amazing character

Black Balloon posted:

Zell is good and cool :colbert:

Counterpoint:

Maybe the reason Leovinus took down his LP isn't because of the stale, homophobic jokes. He was anti-Zell and the masses apparently disagree.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Based on Siren's previous US appearance in FFVI, her now almost-nude look here, and the character limit, I'll go with UNCENSORD

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

What? Why would you think this? It's not like Squall just popped into existence at the start of the game.

His roommate is just some nameless mook who's not relevant to the story in any way.

Honestly, never interacting with and possibly not knowing the name of his roommate is just so Squall.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

ArchWizard posted:

Since we found him in a lamp, we should call him Jeannie.

This.

Also the Library Girl is Booyaka

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Cool Ghost posted:

So I did the most tonally appropriate thing possible and renamed a GF.

Haha, you got me, you bastard. :roflolmao:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Silegna posted:

Pretty sure that's Selphie.

I feel a breeze.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

I too think that Laguna and gang are much preferable to the other morons (sans Ze&Se ofc), but good LORD do I hate this scene. I can taste the awkwardness, and yes, this is what they are going for, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

It reminds me of why I hate the Raimi Spider-Man movies so much. I know Parker is supposed to be a dork and that life shits on him a lot. I don't need TEN uncomfortable reminders per scene. I will not identify more with him the more I see him suffer and stutter and squirm. Get this poo poo away from me.

Every single Ben Stiller movie ever.

HE'S AWKWARD AND NERVOUS AROUND A GIRL AND/OR HER FAMILY, SOMETIMES HE LIES AND IT GETS HIM INTO TROUBLE, WE ALL GET IT :argh:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Attestant posted:

The important part about renaming Angelo, is the opportunity to have super juvenile humor with Rinoa's limit break names. :v:

Late but one thing I really liked about Leovinus's LP was naming the dog "Vaginal". The limit break "Vaginal Reverse" was especially :cry: and :v: at the same time.

Soricidus posted:

Coolghost please rename rinoa to vanille thank you. The dog can be fang.

Also late but this is actually kinda brilliant.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Now I understand why Selphie has so much support from the thread. She's the best character by process of elimination. Seriously, everyone else in this update comes off looking like a terrible rear end in a top hat. I guess Rinoa expected that the Owls would hire SeeD and they'd be enjoying independence by supper. Squall's leadership amounts to "point me at things so I can gunblade them" and offers nothing else to his client. Zell is... well, Zell. Not even sure what bullshit Quists is pulling with Seifer (it's been forever since I played this game). Anyway in summation everyone is terrible, but at least Selphie hasn't done anything too stupid since the train song.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

If we're voting, then Squall, Selphie, and Rinoa.

If we're riding a train then Selphie has to be in the mix. And Rinoa probably knows the area.

Quistis is out because she's a nerd and is all "follow the Garden code!" and gently caress that noise you're not my teacher any more. Zell is out because Zell.

Also the "As long as you don't get your hopes up, you can take anything... You feel less pain." line is just so 90s :emo:. It's terrible and also awesome.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Mikl posted:

RIP Laguna.

He never scored.

:laugh:

One-shotting Esthar soldiers with ease.... OH WELL BETTER JUMP OFF A CLIFF. I really dislike narrative battles like this that make no Goddamn sense, like the Fabul sequence from FFIV.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Fabul's scene makes more sense than this though: sure you've got a team that can take out the encounters coming at you with ease but that's all you have against an army with air support. The battles themselves are nothing special: the game expects you to do the same thing you've been doing for everything. (Sans the Kain fight.) It's a form of story and gameplay integration (the Mt. Hobbes sequence is the best case in the game.)

To put it another way: Your characters are a single dam against a tidal wave. Sure you could hold out indefinitely but your surroundings won't and then you'll just end up surrounded with no where to go. Besides fighting the same easy fights over and over again would get boring and the narrative needs to move on.

Yeah, I get wanting to move inside and out of range of the Red Wings. But the last few retreats are seriously just, "Oh no! Random mooks! Let's lead them right to the crystal!" I felt like the attack on Cleyra, for example, was a much better event that tried something like this.

Anyway, don't mean to harp on this too much. The Laguna buffoonery is a minor part of the story so far.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Frogisis posted:

Kristen Schaal, what're you doing here?!

Just imagined Kristen Schaal's voice singing the train song... :mmmhmm:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Ugh, Irvine. He's easily my least favorite character in the game.

BANG! :hellyeah:

(Irvine sucks.)

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Cool Ghost posted:

Is everyone saying they want a party with Irvine? Is that what I'm seeing? Because if you do, you have until noon on Thursday to tell me explicitly.

Squall, Zell, Irvine

TEAM BAD AND LIKELY INSANE

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Cool Ghost posted:

Quistis is the MVP of this update.

You're Goddamn right she is. :swoon:

Also I don't remember if I ever let Irvine have his way, but that scene is golden. Ah, disc 1, when this game is still tolerable.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

They remind me of the Bash Brothers.

Jose&Mark

Bregor
May 31, 2013

ally_1986 posted:

2. You want to drop the gates and alert her before shooting.

This is the best part of the plan. "Well we know she can phase through walls and/or materialize out of nowhere, so let's trap her with some wide metal gates! :buddy:"

Next update will be spectacular. :allears:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Rinoa's plan is to walk right up to the Sorceress and trick her into believing a stranger has an awesome bracelet she needs to put on right now.

Squall's teammate is rambling on about knowing who the enemy is and whether or not they're evil. He just needs a few words of encouragement to help him focus on the mission, but Squall lets his questions hang in the air. You can practically feel the awkward silence.

Irvine thinks soldiers need to be "fired up" to do their jobs. He has one thing to do, and wondering about good and evil and morality before a mission is just a distraction.

Quistis made the correct decision by being tough on a spoiled brat. Now she feels bad about it and abandons her post, which might be helpful if she caught Rinoa, but she's too late and fucks up twice as bad.

Selphie is a highly trained mercenary and can flip a lever by herself, something she tells everyone during the dry run. But she runs off after Quistis anyway, presumably to see the conversation between Quistis and Rinoa.

Zell is still desperate to be accepted by his peers, so much so that he ignores orders to remain at the gate just to stay with them. And he still has a massive face tattoo.

Everyone is a terrible moron. :smithicide:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

That kind of kills the mood, you know?

:allears:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Bregor
May 31, 2013

:rip: in peace, Squall.

: Now it's time for the Zell Show! Dat-dat-dat-daah-dat-daah! It's the Zell Show, starring me, I'm Zell! It's the Zell Show, and I've got lots of good guests! Bah-dat-daah-daah-dat-daah...

Bregor
May 31, 2013

VagueRant posted:

Other than SeeD - have pronunciations come up yet?

Is it Dollett or Dollay?
Seefer, Cypher or Sayfer?
Eedee? Eddaya?
Delling? Deeling?

Doll - eht

See - fur

Ed - ee - uh

Deh - ling

It's how I said it all at release when I was 18 and it kinda stuck.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kajeesus posted:

Could you guys maybe not post that? The entire point of no spoilers threads is to avoid black bar chat and people accidentally having major plot elements spoiled.

:agreed:

Also I never knew Carraway's first name, I'm sure he was promoted to General after his success in Cobra Unit. :v:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kilonum posted:

Now for some text to go with it.

"Then go talk to a wall."

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Grinnblade posted:

Pretty sure I just startled my dogs with how loudly I yelled "GOD DAMMIT" when I got the joke here.

Also pretty sure I should be embarrassed that it took me almost a full minute of trying to figure it out.

Goons having that :aaaaa: moment ITT

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Name the dog "Angela". Problem solved.

Great, now I'm thinking of a version of Who's the Boss? starring FFVIII characters.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Captainicus posted:

FISHURURU gets my vote!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Can I say something? It's not really a spoiler because all it's about is something that DOESN'T happen for the rest of the game.

General Caraway? Rinoa's father? He will never be relevant ever again. His relationship with Rinoa? All that drama? Never going to be addressed. FFVIII will end and the two of them will stillnot get along.

I legitimately hate this. I am a rare soul who likes Rinoa. I want to see her character expand beyond Squall's love interest. But no, the game denies her that. Because who needs a healthy relationship with their dad when they have Broody McBishie as their future boyfriend? This game is awful and I hate it but I will defend a lot of it anyway. There's no defense for this though. It just pisses me off.

The first step is admitting you have a problem. :unsmith:

Seriously though I get what you're saying. I liked the whole Squall/Rinoa thing when the game was released because I was 17. Now it's infuriating that it's so... well, so FFVIII.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Silegna posted:

Rinoa was a video game crush for me. Not sure why, when selphie and quistis are in there.

I was more of a Quistis fan. Of course now I see how weird the Trepies are in this game and I'm kinda self conscious about it. :ohdear:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Don't look at me, I voted for NORG.

A chicken in every FUSHURURURURU

Anyway I think the whole discussion of why Squall is being picked to do all this poo poo will become more clear pretty soon. :v:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Yay, Fisherman's Horizon! This is my favorite setting in the game I think.

And the CC is pretty fun, nothing better to do when your Garden is drifting around the ocean than play some cards I guess.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE posted:

I'm going to go read the latest Wheel of Time."

Another exercise that can be as rewarding or frustrating as Final Fantasy

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Cool Ghost posted:

Well, it is a bar.

:allears:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Cool Ghost posted:

Yeah, that's right.

Totally read this post like Puddy from Seinfeld.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Mazed posted:

Yeah, y'know.

The z's make it tricky, but reading Odine's lines in the voice of Rusty Venture resolves a lot about his character.

Tangentially, reading Squall and Seifer as Dean and Hank might make for a truly special experience.

I just considered a Seifer/Squall Mecha Shiva and now I'm convinced this needs to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

All hail President ThreeMoombasInASpacesuit

• Locked thread