Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

paraquat posted:

wow...never even heard of that, it looks like something I definitely need to eat!
Any recipes/tips/instructions?

Ypu can also do a Chicken version. We had a bunch of leftovers to go through, so my mom and I threw together some chicken, veg, mushrooms, cream, and chicken stock in a baking dish, then topped it with my favorite drop biscut recepie. It was delicious. Mild enough for mom, and i just threw on my own hot sauces on my own portions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bosko posted:

Peacan, Dark Chocolate pie. (home-made crust too!)

You post that recepie. You post it right loving now.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Phanatic posted:

First time putting chicken in the sous-vide. Boneless skinless, 140F for a couple of hours. Finished off by wrapping with prosciutto and giving it a quick pan-fry. Mushrooms, garlic, white wine, capers. Looks unfortunately like lungs but so tender and good.

It looks like LOBSTER. Do it with butter and a bit of paprika. Bam, mock lobster.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

I made carnitas for the first time! I vaguely followed the Serious Eats recipe, but they turned out really delicious. My husband doesn't really like...food...so when he tried them his reaction was "meh, I don't really like carnitas."

Dont feed him for a few days. Hunger is the best sauce.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

VelociBacon posted:

This is so cool! Reminds me of reading redwall books back in the day, I would always imagine the food to look basically exactly as you made it. Good work.

I made my own little Redwall Feast two ICSA's ago. It turned out well!

\/\/ http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663150 \/\/

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I dont think you're obligated to eat greens if you don't wanna if you can put away half of an acorn squash in a meal. That's fiber and vitamins enough to make you a well oiled poop machine for the rest of the week.

Everything looks lovely, even though your chicken seems to have sprouted a fork. I also have the same knife block in my parent's condo (the one with the stick dude), I hope to burn it one day. Nothing personal, you see, I've dropped it on my foot twice.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

guppy posted:

Inspired by this, I made my first pie in a while. This one is apple.

It looks delicious and confident in its own beauty and hotness. Serve with ice cream.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I PANEER'D

Two litres of goat milk, hand squeezed by me.

I made the cheese over at the farm house, then had to run and do other errands. My friend let it hang a little long, so it's on the stiffer side, but still good. I'm gonna make mutant indian eggplant lasagna with it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

beerinator posted:

It took 25 or so minutes to cook. It was a pretty good wing, but I can cook 20+ good wings in almost the same amount of time.

I just had to do it.

THEY'VE GONE MAD WITH WAFFLE POWER

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I cornbreaded. Cast iron on a black stove photographs poorly.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

goodness posted:

Now that I have a cast iron, how do I do this :swoon:

http://www.lacocinadeleslie.com/2014/02/maseca-cornbread.html?m=1

Moist but croombly. Fantastic recepie.

I reserved the sugar for the very end and sprinkled it on top before baking to give it a nice sugar crunch on top of a savory lovely bread. Pre heat your cast iton in the oven. I used bacon drippings instead of butter.

Masa cornbread is amazing.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

kittenmittons posted:

There wasn't all that much I had to do, really. I seasoned the tongue with some salt and pepper, vacuum packed it with an onion, tomato, and a little lard. Double-bagged it, let it sit in a water bath at 170 for 30 hours (anywhere from 1-2 days is good i think). Chilled it in an ice bath until cooled. Sliced the skin down the middle and peeled it. Trimmed anything that didn't look desirable, and cut it into cubes. Browned it in a pan for a few minutes until crispy.

That noise you hear is me breaking into your kitchen and stealing your leftovers. No need to get up.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Thoht posted:

You can also use fenugreek to get maple flavor, interestingly. They use it frequently in the production of artificial maple syrup.

It's also why the West Side of Manhattan sometimes smells weirdly of maple syrup. Depends on how the wind is blowing in from Jersey, there's a factory that roasts fenugreek just across the river.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/06/nyregion/06smell.html?_r=0

Best comment; "I do not trust this maple syrup smell."

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 17, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Casu Marzu posted:

You got some weird colors goin on there dog. Also, I can't see much, your photo is all blurry.

:v: nah but seriously, those colors are whack

Is it weird that I have full color sight and like the dark mauve and broccoli greens on what looks like old pine? Seriously, that photo appeals to me.

Oh, wait, that's the replacement. Well, I like this one that I am looking at right now.

Wonder what the old one looked like.

edit: I saw a video last week about colorblind people wearing special glasses and seeing real color for the first time and it made me sniffle like an idiot at a bar to the point where people were asking me if I was okay and I had to show them the video and they teared up too. Fair warning.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 27, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Admiral Bosch posted:

I have a couple more chicken breasts so I'll be making it again later this week. Advice duly noted, thanks!

But mind that you don't burn it like I did when advised to let my stuff brown a bit more. Be patient, use a medium heat. Let the pan and oil get to temp before adding meat.

I've smoked out a few kitchens in my time trying to learn to cook...

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

This is also one of the leading causes of house fires my dad attends to with the Red Cross. Drunk or high people trying to deep fry something.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Brawnfire posted:

Years of food service work means I perform inebriated frying with professional aptitude.

But you are a trained professional drunkard. Home drunks see that on TV and try to mimic you. It's sad, really.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

PiratePing posted:

These gross black hockey pucks are crispy pieces of boudin noir.
Left is with apples, onions and cauliflower&parsnip puree, right is with veg and baby's first red wine sauce (way too heavy on the onions).

I was wondering why you were dressing your food with Oreo cookies, then I saw the desc. Very nice!

PiratePing posted:

Pumpkin cake (from some leftover roasted pumpkin) with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and fleur d'oranger. You Americans are right, sweet pumpkin dishes are tasty! :3:

You have a world of sweet pumpkin dishes ahead of you, friend.

Do you also have a toaster oven or a dutch oven that you're baking in? This is all very impressive for two hotplates.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

goodness posted:

Made a blue/blackberry crumble . Unfortunately forgot the lemon zest :smith:

It's a beauty! I use lime zest in mine.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Klenath posted:

The wife and I experimented with a new no-knead thin crust pizza dough recipe over the weekend. Worked out better than we expected. We'll probably wait to try again in the winter because running the oven at 550F in summer ain't a great idea.

If you got a grill, pizza in a hot CLOSED grill is my favorite summertime dish. Nothing like pizza margarita on the patio, watching the sun set.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
There is a fish fry place by me called Seafood Express, on top of doing a fine pile of fried stuff and fantastic hush puppies, they do their house ranch dressing from scratch and it's amazing.

Now, I am quite proud of this bowl of pho. Pork pho broth from scratch, leftover pulled pork, dried shitake, sweet peppers and spinach.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 1, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Test Pattern posted:

That sounds awesome, and tasty, and resourceful, but honestly, the cooking sounds like the least interesting part of this story.

I am also interested in this story, but also the food that comes from it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

silvergoose posted:

I baked a cake! ...first time I've ever baked a cake from scratch. Turned out pretty moist, very fudgy frosting. Exciting!

Good job! I myself am scared of non-box cakes. I do make my own frosting though. Can you share the recipe?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Free range local chicken deboned and stuffed with red onion roasted over sliced apples. Apples and dripping used to make sweet gravy.
https://imgur.com/iWa7BgB

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
If you want horse in the US, you must buy a living animal and slaughter it yourself, for yourself.

Horse is legal overseas where Horses have medical passports, where every change of ownership, medical procedure, and drug given to them is recorded. There is accountability in regards to what is in the animal and what is entering the food system. In the US, there is no such documentation.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
A terribly color balanced photo but a stonking delicious bowl of linguica spinach soup.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Brand New Malaysian Wife posted:

Home made celeriac soup for dinner. My first ever attempt at soup making and it owned.

I want to try that myself some day. I might have to grow the stuff myself though, I've never seen it in any grocery store.Possibly at the farmer's market though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Did an experiment with a skinless Muscovy Duck breast I call