Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Boomer The Cannon posted:

At this rate, they'll be getting The Full Lokomotiv Experience.

Sorry DOOMocrat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Evander Kane is good, and cool too.

quote:

Power97: Evander Kane's latest Instragram picture:
In Vegas, doing push-ups with piles of money on his back...
Thoughts? - T&V http://t.co/zU4LDt0ceu

This is shortly after he did a tweet celebrating the three-year anniversary of the money-phone picture.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

Adam Oates went on Wyshynski's podcast yesterday and was talking about the "dangers of puck possession". His argument was that it was dangerous to possess the puck so much because you take more hits and therefore get more injuries.

So that's why he had Jay Beagle centering the first line!

I think this is a courageous moral stance by Oates, to say that hockey is just a game and we should not sacrifice our well-being for the profit of abstract corporate entities. Winning a game, after all, is only winning a game.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Rene Bork posted:

All he needs now is a bunch of self centered, blithering idiots defending him at every turn.

And, thus, the new motto of the NHL management fraternity becomes "we are all Nietszche."

T-Bone posted:

am I too late to be astonished at Canada taking Fucale and his .886

Why not Comrie and Jarry? How do you not even invite Jarry?
I guess you're maybe too late in that this sort of approach isn't new to the way Hockey Canada operates. For what it's worth, Pronman was going on yesterday about how taking him is reasonable(ish) and this isn't just a winz thing, but it still looks pretty bad. And, really, even if he is a genuine prospect, that still doesn't seem like reason enough to take him over someone like Jarry.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

T-Bone posted:

They're all second round picks (Jarry/Comrie/Fucale) -- is winning the U18 really enough to get you picked over a guy who has posted a career CHL .920+ and just won the Memorial Cup man Canada can be dumber than DeBoer when it comes to team selection he already sucked vs. Finland last year surely they remember that

Fucale's apparently been a top prospect since he was like 14. There's something about his game that just Looks Right, and leads scouty types to believe that whatever shortcomings his game has are things that can be (easily?) fixed. I'm pretty sympathetic to that thinking in broad terms, but it seems off base in the context of a short tournament where Fucale hasn't looked so hot and there's another guy right there.

e:

quote:

DarrenDreger: Martin Brodeur's 1 year contract with the Blues is being finalized.
the final countdown

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The Dirty Burger posted:

Speaking of the all-star game

@reporterchris: Not only does Zemgus Girgensons lead the NHL's all-star fan vote, he's received almost twice as many ballots as No. 2 P.K. Subban.

Latvians stuffing the ballot box owns and I support it wholeheartedly

Do it for Rory...

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

DOOMocrat posted:

Jussi Rynnas makes his NHL debut tonight against Detroit.

Few hockey problems cannot be fixed by more Finnish goaltenders.

Just because he might wish it never happened doesn't mean that's the case.

(Also has a pair of relief appearances.)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

I tried to re-construct the line-up that night

Lombardi - Bozak - Kessel
MacArthur - Grabovski - Connolly
Crabb - Frattin - Ashton
Rosehill - Brown - Armstrong

Even with Lupul and Kulemin, this was a team that was in a playoff spot before that totally not a surprise downward spiral.

Looking at the box score, I think it was Carter Ashton riding first line wing with Kessel and early Bozak. Leafs.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

I went to NHL.com's boxscore, and I had to rub my eyes twice to make sure that what I was seeing was real, because the Leafs started the game with a Connolly - Grabovski - Crabb line. I assume the lines were mixed up a bunch that night.

I remember Crabb having an extended run on the first line. Those were the teams that were so bad that "John Mitchell future first-line centre" was something being pushed by management.

e: in memoriam V.v.V

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Duck Rodgers posted:

Can someone explain to me (or link me to an article) why PDO on a team level represents luck and isn't just about a team being bad or good? It seems that the teams with the worst PDO right now are also just bad teams (Edmonton, Carolina, Buffalo). Is it only useful if used with other stats? Like Winnipeg has a good Corsi and a bad PDO so thats more about bad luck, whereas Columbus has bad Corsi and bad PDO so that's how we know they're just not that good?

Unfortunately all the groundwork articles on PDO disappeared into proprietary-land with Dellow.

It's good to look at it in its componential form (team shooting percentage and save percentage, as fits said). Teams don't regress to strictly 1.000, but there's a reasonably narrow range of results that reflect a team's ability. The best of the best (great goaltending with great shooting) peak over 1.020, but those are few and far between. Accordingly, since we're early in the year, we can take a quick look at a team's PDO and if they're at something like 1.100 or 1.050 we can safely conclude that they're getting very lucky.

If they're in a range between, like, 1.010 and 1.020, first take a look at their team shooting. If a team is shooting well over league average, like 11% at even strength, then it's safe to say they're getting quite lucky. Every year there's one team that manages to ride the shot quality dragon for the better part of the year (or even the full year!) and pundits declare that they've solved shot quality at the team level. It never ends well. If team shooting is within reason, check the team save percentage. Unless we're talking about Tuukka Rask, goalie sv% can vary strongly from year to year, but you can see if the results are roughly in line with the talent of the goalie.

So, in short, glancing at PDO can quickly tell you if a team is getting really obviously lucky, and looking at the component numbers next to evaluating the skill level of the team can give you even more information.

The only team in the shootout era that I would think of as having a true-talent PDO of 1.020 was that period of great Canuck teams where you had Luongo kicking rear end, the Sedins at their peak, and Vigneault trailblazing on zone shifting so a disproportionate amount of offensive zone time was going to Vancouver's best players.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Duck Rodgers posted:

So within that range (I guess .990 to 1.010) do the best teams tend to end up toward the higher end with the worst teams toward the lower end or is it a more even distribution? Or is the difference between the two ends of the range negligible?

Better teams tend to have better goaltenders, and goaltenders have an outsized effect on PDO since one player is mostly determining one stat (SV%), whereas the other (S%) is spread across all the skaters in effect. There's also the effect that we would expect teams with higher PDOs to be doing better irrespective of skill, since a higher team shooting percentage, even if luck-driven, still means more goals scored than an equivalent team.

For the heck of it, the regular season PDO of the last however many cup winners and finalists.

2014: LA 100.11 over NYR 99.74
2013*: CHI 102.03 over BOS 100.51
2012: LA 98.02 over NJ 99.53
2011: BOS 102.43** over VAN 101.53
2010: CHI 98.85 over PHI 99.45
2009: PIT 101.89 over DET 99.49
2008 DET 99.98 over 102.46***

* Short season
** Tim Thomas threw up a 938 this year
*** Both Conklin and Fleury posted SV% over 920, and the team shot the lights out.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Gio posted:

does every team regress to the same mean?

I've compared it to pitcher BABIP before, where there's overall a fairly narrow range of "genuine" performances, there has to be something pretty significant to explain a large genuine deviation, and it's much easier to be worse than it is to be better.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Mike Works posted:

Someone in today's GDT asked me to update the Luongo shutout GIF since the Canucks have new goalies now, so I made this:

I'll do a Lack one next.

This is very good.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

If he could keep this pace up I'd probably never criticize him*, but he's still a passenger at ES and I really don't think the Leafs shooting 11% is gonna hold up. Still, nice to have him on a streak for when the Leafs inevitably miss the playoffs again and trade everybody.

* lol who am I kidding

His ES rate stats are actually the 2nd-worst of his career right now. 1.42 P/60, with a career-low 0.36 G/60. He's basically riding crazy PP production that he's not at all essential to. This is combined with defence that can charitably be called "loving horrible," and penalty killing that is pushing worst in the NHL for any regularly-used forward.*

*Using minimum 15 minutes of PK time this year, which is the round number needed to get Bozak to appear, the team gives up 72.61 shots against per 60 minutes of PK time. This is 7th worst among qualifying forwards.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 5, 2014

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This is a good time to underline that there is an NHL first line, or really any NHL line at all, that can rightly be described as having Phil Kessel carrying the defensive load.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Technetium posted:

Jonathan Bernier was asked who his favourite athlete was growing up.

He said it was Nelson Mandela.

:negative:

quote:

Reporter1 (SportsNet mic): Alright Jonathan, how important is, uh, the legacy of Nelson Mandela to you?

JB: Well obviously he’s been, uh, a tremendous, uh, athlete and you know obviously what, uh, he means to all the sports you know when you know the worl- the world can uh be changed by the sports it’s pretty amazing. And I think he’s definitely uh got a lot of respect in every sports and uh he’s definitely one of the athletes I watched growing up as well.

Reporter1’s mic disappears from frame

Reporter2: Why is it important for you to come show support tonight?

JB: Well I think any good cause is, uh, sorry (he’s apologizing to someone to the left of the screen, not sure who/why), it’s always, uh, you know I love supporting, uh, any kind of cause obviously it’s for the Afri-, in Africa it’s obviously it’s, uh, a great cause, and enjoying, I guess, the basketball game.

Reporter2: Thanks.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What a disconnect. I mean, it shows Kadri is smart enough to say the right things when they need to be said, but jesus.

I think the degree to which so much of what they say is a canned response came across pretty well with Bernier's comments on Mandela.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Bissonnette has been released from his AHL tryout. Probably back to Cardiff now.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Rene Bork posted:

Now he can go see the big dragon when the city of Wrexham finishes it.

Looks like he signed with the US Manchester, though it is possible he was trying to sign with the English Manchester.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Gio posted:

what is the best site for accurate fancy stats? team based. i have conflicting numbers from hockey analysis and this site

Trying bothering them about it on twitter. There might be a difference with someone counting empty net goals (though I think everyone filters those out now), or it might be a thing where hockey analysis is specifically 5v5 whereas sportscharts is showing all even strength play.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

There was a poll on the HFboards Oilers forum a couple weeks ago asking if the team would be better off with McDavid or Babcock. 32% of people voted for Babcock :psyduck:

I realize HFboards and super downbeat Oilers fans and all, but man what does that guy do to deserve such a reputation? He's a great coach, but not 'better than a cost controlled generational talent' good.

I mean a player, that's just one guy. But a coach, then your whole team can be McDavid.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Sabres just traded Luke Adam to Columbus for Jerry D'Amigo

I dunno who this Jerry fellow is but Luke Adam was good for like two months a few years ago and then got lovely so good riddance.

D'Amigo is a future one of those guys you actually want to be a bottom line penalty kill guy. The Leafs traded him for Matt Frattin this offseason because they thought Matt Frattin was magic (literal, not exaggeration).

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Maybe Howe really was taken off life support and that's what brought about his recovery?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Veskit posted:

Isn't Eklund right about somethings sometimes or does he just fling that much poo against the wall.

Last I remember his hit rate was ~3.3%. Which side of the answer that falls on, I'll leave to you.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Gio posted:

lol, i hope this is a real stat.

e: wayne gretzky going into cardiac arrest as we speak (e5)

count it

e: Sorry, looks like 3.3% was what you'd get by just picking out of a hat. Eklund wasn't quite that good.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

sedative posted:

That explains so much

Just looks like he's trying to keep his balance to me. It ends up looking ridiculous but contact was definitely made.
[/quote]

This seems unnecessary.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Leafs are in Chicago tomorrow night. Somebody is going to get hosed up.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Fozzie Bear posted:

I think Kadri has gotten quite a bit better defensively over the last few seasons, but I don't know if he is good enough to cover up for Kessels lack of backchecking. I think he should be given a 10 game shot at the very least. The big fear is that Toronto becomes a 1 line team and is much easier to shut down completely.

Kadri is the best defensive centre on the team, and Kessel is the best defensive player through whatever combination of himself, Van Riemsdyk, Bozak, and Lupupl he plays with. Kessel's also never had any line-wide problems with defence when playing with any centre other than Bozak. Dude rocked a 57% corsi with Matt Stajan of all people.

I don't think that the Leafs problems are critically related to Kessel's defence. While there is a lack of defensive acumen in the top 6 (Bozak, JVR, and Lupul are all varying shades of horrible), the teams problems are still largely systemic. Someone posted a chart on twitter the other day showing teams corsi splits for after faceoff wins, faceoff losses, and "open play" (a set amount of time after any faceoff). The Leafs were good to great after faceoff wins, average to poor after faceoff losses, but dreadful in open play scenarios. This suggests that they have the same old systemic problems where Carlyle's plans for getting to and through the neutral zone are just not any good.

e2: Kessel has actually never posted convincing corsis with Kadri, which was a bit of a surprise. I stand by my analysis, though.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 21, 2014

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

I remember seeing a flowchart or comparison or something here of the Oilers management of X years a ago vs. today, anyone know where I can find that?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Misanthrope posted:

The amusing thing about it is that after deadline passed and local media was screaming about why we didn't trade Cammalleri, Burke gave some answer about being a proud franchise and not trading players for poor value just for the sake of trading them.

My interpretation of that is that he couldn't get a 2nd rounder for a .75 ppg player with over 500 NHL games, while he could for a goalie with 29 NHL games and a .897 save pct.

He had a trade deadline like this with the Leafs, too. He unloaded Dominic Moore for a 2nd rounder, and Nik Antropov for a 2nd rounder plus a conditional fifth.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

RC Cola posted:

Thank god we chose rosi and crow over him

It's okay the Blackhawks can tank for a few years, snag a good draft pick or two, and maybe make the playoffs again before Kane's contract expires.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Modnote: dogpiling on mook is annoying and, I think, counterproductive at this point since he does seem to be making an effort to post better.

On the other hand, mook:

Habibi posted:

It's not that hard. Like, it's nice that Paulocast and Evilwaldo told you they enjoy your posts, but when you offer silly opinions and then fly into a frothing, defensive fit every time someone challenges or mocks them, it gets pretty hard to take you seriously. And this is coming from someone who doesn't typically mind your posting, despite your team loyalty. But, man, you need to chill the gently caress out.

Also "hivemind" posts are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

THE MACHO MAN posted:

What exactly is usage adjusted corsi again?

My first question, too. He wrote a thing about it here, with the short answer being that the adjustments are an attempt to account for usage and expected results, similar to angry math teacher Steve Burtch's delta-corsi.

• Locked thread