Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

PleasingFungus posted:

I get paid three lollipops and a Babe Ruth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PleasingFungus posted:

I get paid three lollipops and a Babe Ruth

i get paid one (1) Life™ brand granola-style cereal bar

so not fair

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

pr0zac posted:

i got $255.78 from that tech wage fixing lawsuit hope this one involves apple too

is that the one where Steve & Larry directly colluded to keep salaries low

I was so mad when they settled for less than billions

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

i get paid one (1) Life™ brand granola-style cereal bar

so not fair

your employer is buying those on 20x optimum points days and then redeeming the points for more granola bars on bonus redemption days. he's saving around ~36% of the cost and that's not even factoring in when he can stock up during sales!!!

that monster

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
it annoys the hell out of me when people don't discuss salaries. then find out they're incredibly underpaid and instead of resenting their boss they resent whoever makes more than them. kill management, not hte workers.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

BANME.sh posted:

discussing your salary with other employees is actually in poor taste and it shouldn't need to be an official policy if you work with mature adults hth

💩

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
when i started out one company was willing to pay me €1400/month under the strict condition that i wouldnt tell the others

their initial offer was €1200, which is about what a supermarket stocker made at that time. the owners all drove less than 2 year old porsches

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

pr0zac posted:

i got $255.78 from that tech wage fixing lawsuit hope this one involves apple too

i got > 750 and that's just from the scrub tier settling companies like intuit can't wait for the big fish.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

rotor posted:

is that the one where Steve & Larry directly colluded to keep salaries low

I was so mad when they settled for less than billions

ya tho i don't think apple/google and a few of the other cos have settled yet

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
people are very insensitive to trolling on monday mornings

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

BANME.sh posted:

Mondays! AAAAAAAAAAACCKKKKKK!!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cold on a Cob posted:

your employer is buying those on 20x optimum points days and then redeeming the points for more granola bars on bonus redemption days. he's saving around ~36% of the cost and that's not even factoring in when he can stock up during sales!!!

that monster

mom's just trying to keep me down. giving me lovely lunches so i can't compete in the lunch-trade economy. she's artificially suppressing my popularity man.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

newreply.php posted:

when i started out one company was willing to pay me €1400/month under the strict condition that i wouldnt tell the others

their initial offer was €1200, which is about what a supermarket stocker made at that time. the owners all drove less than 2 year old porsches

those porsches don't maintain themselves, have some compassion

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BANME.sh posted:

you're posting in the tek bauble thread, wherein people unironically defend uber and facebook. you can't troll this thread

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

wasn't that suggested (by the sony hackers) to be one of the reasons behind the hack?

this would make me v happy

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

pr0zac posted:

the taboo about sharing salary info is the dumbest thing and it bugs me that even people who know this avoid it

mine is loving public record and people still get all weirded out by me not giving a poo poo and offering to tell them when they are asking about my job and say things like "oh I heard that pays well".

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

the tech bubble is the best way I've found to funnel money away from the super-wealthy and into my pocket. long live the tech bubble.

it's a wealth transfer from 1%er shitlords to up-and-coming libertarian shitlords but this is still a net positive

Werthog 95 posted:

top secret tips for young animators leaked in the sony hack

lmaoooooooooo

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Dolomite posted:

those porsches don't maintain themselves, have some compassion

i (well the company i own 1/4 of) employs 2 people and they make just €200/month less than us. not that i make a lot but at least i get something if we ever sell

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

rotor posted:

the tech bubble is the best way I've found to funnel money away from the super-wealthy and into my pocket. long live the tech bubble.

here here!

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Linux Linux Linux!

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
what are the effective dates for that no-hire agreement? company i worked for turned out to be involved as well and i want to know if i may be getting a check in the mail

Joe Law
Jun 30, 2008

Syncopated posted:

Linux Linux Linux!

Do it!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

this is from last friday:

http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/index.ssf/2014/12/defiant_uber_rideshare_launche.html

quote:

As of 5 p.m. Friday, Portlanders will be able to use the cutting-edge-yet-controversial rideshare service in what has been the largest West Coast city without Uber, the company told The Oregonian.

If Uber drivers are going to start operating without the city's approval, "then we will try to catch them and seek penalty," said Novick, who oversees the Portland Bureau of Transportation.

For the first offense, the city could levy a $1,500 penalty against Uber and hit the driver with up to $2,250 in fines. "It's not cheap," Dufay said.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

feelin rigid

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Necc0 posted:

what are the effective dates for that no-hire agreement? company i worked for turned out to be involved as well and i want to know if i may be getting a check in the mail

if you didn't get a letter from the payment processor hired by the class action attorney you're probably out of luck.

"
All natural persons who work in the technical, creative, and/or research and development fields that were employed on a salaried basis in the United States by one or more of the following: (a) Apple from March 2005 through December 2009; (b) Adobe from May 2005 through December 2009; (c) Google from March 2005 through December 2009; (d) Intel from March 2005 through December 2009; (e) Intuit from June 2007 through December 2009; (f) Lucasfilm from January 2005 through December 2009; or (g) Pixar from January 2005 through December 2009.
"

either the website is down or work is blocking it lololol

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
i get paid in well wishes

a few more weeks and i can retire

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

if you didn't get a letter from the payment processor hired by the class action attorney you're probably out of luck.

"
All natural persons who work in the technical, creative, and/or research and development fields that were employed on a salaried basis in the United States by one or more of the following: (a) Apple from March 2005 through December 2009; (b) Adobe from May 2005 through December 2009; (c) Google from March 2005 through December 2009; (d) Intel from March 2005 through December 2009; (e) Intuit from June 2007 through December 2009; (f) Lucasfilm from January 2005 through December 2009; or (g) Pixar from January 2005 through December 2009.
"

either the website is down or work is blocking it lololol

boo i didn't graduate until 2012 :\

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

tech bubble also funneling rich people money into municipalities

about time they paid up

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Just order uber rides directly to/from the impound

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
hasn't a bunch of places said the same thing? How's that working out

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Syncopated posted:

"put it on my tab" says uber as they write a check for $1,000,000 to a municipality to cover any future fines

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Syncopated posted:

as long as uber has 40 billions of VC dollars the fines are about as effective as you'd expect.

i mean if they're getting fined in every single market they're in it may prevent them from being actually profitable, but they're a bubble 2.0 superstar no one is concerned about pedestrian things like profitability

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Syncopated posted:

“I cannot stress enough how much Oxford welcomes and embraces the application technology — but that does not mean that using it is a free pass to avoid complying with any laws for safety any more than anyone else,” Ward 1 alderman Jay Hughes said. “That being said, and despite repeated assurances from Uber representatives at the last board meeting, the city clerk confirmed on the record that not a single driver using an Uber app has applied for a license, background check, or provided any proof of insurance, as required by local and state law.”

Hughes also said Uber’s “bold advertising” around Oxford in The Citizen and The Oxford Eagle is encouraging drivers to operate without proper permits and licenses. When asked about the citations officers had been giving drivers in August, Uber representative Kaitlin Durkosh told HottyToddy.com that the company would continue to pay the fines on behalf of their drivers.

“Uber drivers who were stopped over the weekend advised officers that the Uber management instructed them to continue disregarding local and state laws and that Uber would pay all of the fines,” Hughes said. “Thus, the fines are no longer a deterrent, and an arrest will stay with the driver and his/her record.”

Due to repeated and flagrant violations by unauthorized drivers for hire in unauthorized vehicles, notice is hereby given that beginning immediately, all unauthorized drivers of vehicles for hire in Oxford will be arrested on site and the vehicle will be towed from that location.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

as long as uber has 40 billions of VC dollars the fines are about as effective as you'd expect.

i mean if they're getting fined in every single market they're in it may prevent them from being actually profitable, but they're a bubble 2.0 superstar no one is concerned about pedestrian things like profitability

*$1.2 billion

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
if my phone wasnt broken id post a screenshot of 'no driver available' which def wanst the case before the city started threatening unlicensed cab drivers with arrest.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

the shittiest place i have ever worked actually had a "policy" about not discussing salary/wages.

you can imagine how effective that was

Motorola Solutions has a publicly listed toll-free 'employment verification' hotline that tells prospective employers what you made there, down to the dollar.

one of the reasons I couldn't play poker coming to Denver.

Don't ever work for Motorola Solutions.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

PuTTY riot posted:

if my phone wasnt broken id post a screenshot of 'no driver available' which def wanst the case before the city started threatening unlicensed cab drivers with arrest.

still chugging along in DC

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

mine is loving public record and people still get all weirded out by me not giving a poo poo and offering to tell them when they are asking about my job and say things like "oh I heard that pays well".
same, and people sometimes freak out when i tell them that they can see the exact figure online, and not just a "this job makes about this much" range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

quote:

"What happened over the weekend in New Delhi is horrific. Our entire team's hearts go out to the victim of this despicable crime. We will do everything, I repeat, everything to help bring this perpetrator to justice and to support the victim and her family in her recovery.

We will work with the government to establish clear background checks currently absent in their commercial transportation licensing programs. We will also partner closely with the groups who are leading the way on women's safety here in New Delhi and around the country and invest in technology advances to help make New Delhi a safer city for women."

         O

     o

          o

• Locked thread