Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the tech bubble is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

BANME.sh posted:

discussing your salary with other employees is actually in poor taste and it shouldn't need to be an official policy if you work with mature adults hth

execute this class traitor

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

daft punk railroad posted:

do companies with official policies against discussing salaries know that that's illegal or do they just not give a poo poo

look into your heart, what does it tell you

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

your cat looks sick

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

where the gently caress do you not have pet deposits and rentals? gently caress, we're lucky to find a place that even takes cats in ny

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

also lol at bringing pets to work

the class hamster poo poo only flies when you're in kindergarten

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Farecoal posted:

im the font change

i loving hate that everything does this now when i copy/paste poo poo

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Farecoal posted:

merge formatting??

why isn't it the default to apply the existing format to pasted text

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

a lot of it (general white dude shitheadedness) is a reaction to a perceived diminishment of their superior role in culture and society. you can basically explain 99% of reactionary white dude stuff as a response to being raised with certain expectations about the world and their place in it, emulating fathers who were the center of the family, breadwinner, all that jazz and having that expectation curtailed by progress. it's related to machismo but it doesn't seem to be as acute in non-white dudes.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

the joke of course is that white dudes are still the center of american culture in a very large way, but it's just the Actually Rich ones (it was always the Actually Rich ones but it's impossible to maintain the veener that 'average' dudes are the center of anything culturally) who are at the center

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

infernal machines posted:

the idea that i could have enjoyed even more privilege is almost mind blowing.

what a time to be alive

if you can get down with the J-Man in a big way then evangelical christianity has a place for you

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

more info on that - the ruling was unanimous, and it's mostly because labor laws already say you don't get paid for stuff like that

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

lol if you expect congress to pass labor laws that protect labor

bigger lol if you expect the courts to rule in favor of labor over management

dehumanize, etc

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

carry on then posted:

lol this country treats its employees like criminals

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Shaggar posted:

idk if you've ever met labor but its terrible.

there is no one here who is not labor, we've just all been fed lies

all war is class war

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

think about how much time we're stealing from our job creator ubermenschen right now by posting

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Thesoro posted:

late but why on earth does uber use semi-private discount codes to give their employee discount instead of an account flag

probably because they already have a discount code feature but not a account flag feature idk

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

As a Millennial I posted:

i'm "p sure" you can use your own phone for uber. i'm in two beta tests that let me install iphone apps from websites and i have no idea how that poo poo works. i don't even remember giving anybody my iphone uuid

testflight lets you just use your email addy

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Why the Web Won't Be Nirvana

comin atcha aaaallllll the way from 1995

shingy in forty years dot JPEG

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

Ha, my community is nearly twice as dense as LA, suck my dick Californifailures

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dormont,_Pennsylvania)

califailure rolls off the tongue better imo

san fartsico, califailure
population - u

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

the U.S. military is our largest welfare program

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

ask if they'll destroy your enemies

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

nice

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

here's what I don't get. If they are so good, why do they have to be here? I can understand if they're amazing car designers, they gotta work with those life sized clay models in the office. Or maybe even the worlds best sales guys (cause they gotta be on site), maybe even great management.

But when you're hiring developers why do they need to be in your drat office? If india has such great programmers, open up an office there to hire your 1000 developers and keep immigration for one-offs.

I will say, I often get off the 'developers' floor here at 'large financial firm' in the bay area and it's like stepping off the plane in Bangalore. Those guys are paid poo poo. The average for a software developer is ₹400,000. That's $6,600 a year and firms here (cause they're mostly contractors) pay them poo poo. It's all about makin the shittiest software for the cheapest dollar.

ding ding ding

tech ceos want immigration reform so they can drive down the wages of American tech workers

same reason they keep harping on STEM educations and hour of code or whatever, the more bodies you can throw into the labor pool the lower you can push rates

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

also there's a dilution effect; the more people that can fill a given role, the effective bargaining power of an individual gets reduced. if there's a glut of devs, then it's less likely you can be geographically mobile (because why pay to recruit someone from out of state when there's a ton of people in the locality) as an individual which has a knock-on effect of keeping wages low across the board (because if your high performers can't walk to the bay or nyc to pull 6.5 figgies then why pay them a bunch more?)

in summary death to capitalism

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

the facebook solution to this is going to be a 'process' that will automatically scrub dead people from your pictures as long as they had an account to associate with

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

j/k there wont be a solution to this

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

facebook's year in review for me is a picture of a piss stained mattress from a hotel I stayed at

sounds about right

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

"so I get to work with a fat naked elephant, a small penguin, and a motherfucking snake orrrr I can go hang out with the badass robot? not seeing the value proposition here guys"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

also a tiny, womanish crane

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Bloody posted:

okay realtalk rochester, NY is the king of burgers. so many fuckin lil local burger places. and we have and invented garbage plates, a burger-based meal that is vastly more than the sum of its parts. thanks, nick tahou.

tbc parachute account spotted

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

prefect posted:

and now i want to put on pants and go get a milkshake :argh:

oh man

oh man oh man

let me loving tell you about this milkshake I had a while back

it was a milkshake with coffee cake in it

it was so loving good you have no idea

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

'on-demand village economy'

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

crusader_complex posted:

uber is incredibly puzzling.

i'd think each and every city would be easily ticketing them as a revenue source, or at least more upset with someone flagrantly breaking their laws.
i'd think people, particularly drunk revelers, would be wary of using such a service after hearing about cases of passenger assault.

its really troubling since they're setting a precedent for "do thing first, then use money generated to fight legal battles over the laws you just broke", as well as working to normalize mechanical turk-ing at the expense of actual jobs and benefits.

it was funny at first, but every once in a while i have to ask, wtf how come these guys arent getting their poo poo kicked in?

white people make the laws, white people like uber.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I worked at an amusement park

The nacho cheese starts out as (1, 2, 5)-gallon bags of alginate solution, a clear flavorless gel made from kelp with the consistency of snot

You manhandle this thing into the machine and a thing punches it open to spill out into a vat

Then you add a measured amount of orange milk solids powder and the machine stirs it for a while and heats it up: nacho cheese sauce

there is another machine where you put in the alginate and dump in vanilla flavored milk solids instead and the mixture is refrigerated: soft-serve ice cream

nice classist bullshit story that i've heard a billion times on the internet

processed nacho cheese sauce does contain sodium alginate, true. but it's like 0.5% to 1% of the product

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

foodchat is the most obnoxious thing in yospos because it's a bunch of fat fuckers lf'ing about idiot poors and their lovely food choices while they shovel calories into their face

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

hey, maybe thats why real cabs are subject to real regulations about what they're supposed to do with other people's personal property, as opposed to stealing it and selling it off. maybe that's why jitney cabs with no physical presence in the area are bad, even! anyone who chose to drive for uber doesn't get to complain about spending a bit of gas on returning lost goods because it's an expected part of the job

and so is this. surprise, being a professional driver is really lovely and being an independent contractor professional driver who can't rely on their company to help them out is even worse!

free market bitch

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

the maker movement completely ignores the economics of scale and its very funny

the maker movement is a bunch of white dudes whose dads never taught them how to do anything useful (or more likely, completely ignored their dads when they were trying to)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

i guess this might be my main complaint?

like they're all :2bong: YOU CAN MAKE THINGS OUT OF STUFF :2bong: and i go..ok yeah

my main complaint are the idiots who have uncritically bought into poo poo like "ATOMS ARE THE NEW BITS" that have infiltrated the computing college here and are trying to integrate 'maker culture' and 3d printing into every single loving curriculum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i like the taste of diet coke but i've been drinking it for a while

i guess the only redeeming thing i can really say about soylent is that normal meal replacement shakes taste really... sweet? like they're trying too hard. if i tilt my head and squint i can see the value in a flavorless meal replacement slurry i guess

• Locked thread