Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

duTrieux. posted:

advanced simulation of the future of the tech bubble:

Cool as h*ck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

people pay attention to dogs once they start barking

Diabetic alert dogs are good because some diabetics are terrible at managing their blood sugar (so pumps are not the best solution), and as Fishmech here alluded to, it's a dog that you cannot ignore because it is literally trained to not stop bothering you until you have done something to fix your blood sugar levels. They're basically as well behaved as police dogs and the programs to train them are just as rigorous. It's pretty cool.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is literally why those pumps exist hth

http://www.onetouch.com/articles/insulin-pumps

quote:

Pump therapy is appropriate only for people who are highly committed and responsible. Because the pump uses only rapid-acting insulin, any sort of malfunction (such as a detached needle, blocked tubing or battery failure) causes a rapid drop in blood insulin levels; dangerously high blood glucose levels can develop within hours. Although pumps have built-in alarms to alert users to such problems, they are not foolproof. For this reason, pump users must frequently monitor blood glucose levels throughout the day and diligently keep their pump in working order. This includes making sure the basal rate is set correctly, checking the tubing for blocks or kinks, keeping the insulin reservoir full and changing the infusion needle every two to three days to prevent infection.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tho i'll ask futurewife, maybe there's a larger intersect between "diabetic who can't manage a pump 3 times a week" and "diabetic with a loving family" enough to warrant needles and a thirty thousand dollar dog over a five grand insulin pump

Seriously, some people are just really, astoundingly bad at managing it for any of a variety of reasons. If they wanna spend the money then who gives a gently caress.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I've had the extreme misfortune of inadvertently meeting one of these people

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

akadajet posted:

franklin?

I wish :smith:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Larry's about to find out what happens when you found an Oracle near the Alto

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

PleasureKevin posted:

this whole article: http://www.wired.com/2014/12/jumpstartfund-hyperloop-elon-musk/

yeah, you've made great progress. you made some CGI renderings with stock character models and poo poo. oh, and read all 50 pages on elon musk's white paper.

startup logic. hey, if that silly company can get $1million, then surely i can get $10 billion. actually, another company has been making crappy CGI mock-ups of vac trains for years but got no funding. what gives? http://www.et3.com

I still cannot fathom where a $6-10bn estimate can come from

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

really? in order to build his stupid hyperloop system he needs to build several 500 mile or so long tubes that are completely airtight and probably involve a ton of tunnels and poo poo to avoid elevation and direction changes as much as possible.

that 6 to 10 billion seems pretty legit, although honestly a bit low.

Sorry I didn't clarify what I meant. I meant that it sounds stupidly low and at least 5-10 times less than what it should be if they want to get it done in anything resembling a reasonable timeframe.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bloody posted:

fallbacks include boston taxis suck and are never available, surge pricing is good because it is supply and demand in action

I hate Uber as much as the next person but Boston taxis are truly terrible

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20141225_Uber_slapped_with_suit_by_45_city_taxi_companies.html

A group of 45 Philadelphia taxi companies filed suit in federal court Tuesday alleging that Uber, the app-based taxi enterprise, is waging unfair competition against medallion owners who must operate under state laws and regulations.

Lead litigant Checker Cab Philadelphia and the other cab operators accused Uber of racketeering.

"Not since the days of bootlegging has there been a criminal enterprise so brazen and open as to attract hundreds of millions of dollars in investment from investment bankers and to operate in blatant violation of federal and state law as Uber," reads the complaint. The case was filed in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.

The suit also names 18 individuals, including Uber drivers it says are operating illegally in the city.

Pennsylvania's Public Utility Commission recently allowed UberX to operate in the state, but not in Philadelphia, where taxis are regulated by the Philadelphia Parking Authority.

UberX is the firm's cheaper car service. Another service, Uber Black, legally provides on-demand limousine service in Philadelphia and elsewhere in the state, complying with regulations on insurance, inspections, and licensing.

Citing financial and reputation damage and loss of sales, among other claims, Checker and the plaintiffs group contend the UberX drivers are operating an illegal enterprise under the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, known as RICO, damaging the value of taxi medallions.

A taxi medallion in Philadelphia currently costs about $520,000. The total value of the medallions that allow cabs to operate in the city is about $880 million, according to one figure cited in the lawsuit.

As a result of the "unlawful competition of these defendants, the medallion taxicab plaintiffs suffered a significant reduction in the value of their medallions," the suit said.

The plaintiffs are represented by Michael Henry of Salaman Grayson & Henry P.C., a Philadelphia firm that specializes in commercial litigation.

Checker Cab also alleges false advertising over an Uber e-mail and website messages on Oct. 24 that claimed, "In October, the largest taxi insurer in Pennsylvania went bankrupt . . . There's no guarantee that your taxi ride will be insured."

First Keystone Risk Retention, a now-defunct insurer whose policies were to expire on Nov. 20, had insured many city taxi drivers. In the suit, Checker's attorneys said all Philadelphia taxicab medallion plaintiffs had obtained replacement coverage by Oct. 24, despite the insurer's failure.

Kalanick's legal problems extend far beyond Philadelphia. Prosecutors in South Korea on Wednesday charged him, his company, and the head of its domestic business partner, MK Korea Co., with violating a transportation law.

San Francisco Uber faces growing legal challenges as it expands in Asia amid mounting protest from taxi operators, Bloomberg News reported. Uber and other ride-sharing services face similar legal and regulatory challenges in many U.S. cities.

Seoul's Metropolitan Government said this year it might ban Uber's service and similar applications on grounds they are unsafe and compete with licensed taxi services. Starting next week, the government will offer rewards of as much as $905 to people who provide information on Uber's services.

Uber's South Korea unit and MK Korea illegally operated rental cars as taxis, an official with the Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office said by phone Wednesday. The official, who asked not to be identified, citing internal policy, declined to comment on whether prosecutors expected Kalanick to appear for questioning.

Uber said it would fully cooperate with the investigation and was confident the court would uphold a fair and sensible judgment.

"We firmly believe that our service, which connects drivers and riders via an application, is not only legal in Korea, but that it is being welcomed and supported by consumers," the company wrote in an e-mail distributed by its South Korean public relations representative.

Checker Cab Philadelphia and the plaintiffs group sued Uber; its chief executive officer, Travis Kalanick; Delaware-registered entities tied to Uber; and Google Ventures, which has invested $258 million in Uber.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

In Time owned.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ahmeni posted:

this is probably my best work

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/31/snapchat-485m/

Can't wait for this bubble to burst

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

West Chester is an absolute nightmare to drive in

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Posting on page 69

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

http://www.joeeames.me/?p=11

I want to loving murder this person

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I use Wells Fargo and they suit my needs

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

syscall girl posted:

they are too big to fail criminals who launder money for cartels

so i mean if you like federally bailed-out corporations that put profits before people go to that or any other bank

All banks are poo poo, OP. You just get to choose what levels of poo poo are best for your needs.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It's cool and good that if I wish to go to a mall that I have the largest mall in the US in terms of retail space within a half hour.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

qirex posted:

it's cool and good that I have like every possible store within a mile of me and I don't have to go in a mall

Same, OP. Same.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Snapchat A Titty posted:

that is literally a billion dollar idea if youre enough of an rear end in a top hat

get inside peoples heads and gently caress with their perception of reality man

I would just buy and resell Big Macs at a 5x markup.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Not exactly food sharing but still lol: https://jobs.lever.co/zoomer/1a3fa789-f32d-4c05-beb4-310b946cc097

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

As a Millennial I posted:

My Guarantee Rates Were Calculated based off of GMT instead of CST, resulting in >$100 difference in payout. (self.uberdrivers)

Pretty much said it all in title, I downloaded the CSV version of the pay report to figure out why my estimates for my guarantee payout was so off. I noticed that the total rides for each of the days was wrong. When I went to match the CSV to the list on the driver dashboard I noticed that the times and dates did not match, but that the number portion of the time did. I looked closer at the CSV and the date-time is formated

Year-month-day"T"hours:minute:seconds+TimeZone.

The timezone in this case was 00:00 meaning GMT.

I ran the numbers with the incorrect date-time information and came very close to what was actually paid out (Minutes Online was estimated because I hadnt been keeping track at this point).

This means I was working off-peak-hours according to the system, when I thought I was working Peak-Hours

lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I hate Sam Altman so loving much

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

kalstrams posted:

video games?

Pittsburgh.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Citizen Tayne posted:

*downloads Tinder*
It's gently caress time.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Being single ITYOOL 2015 must own so much.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

carry on then posted:

it's actually an enormous personal failing and marks the person as damaged goods unfit for modern society, hope this helps

Some people just love to gently caress.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Jonny 290 posted:

it is if you sit on your texting hand for a couple minutes

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

As a Millennial I posted:

pittsburgh saw its highest level of tech investment ever this year. number one on the list is dynamics inc, with a $70 million investment from mastercard for... credit cards with buttons on them

What is ePlate?

Introducing the world's most technologically advanced credit card. The patented technology inside ePlate allows you to choose which rewards you want to earn with every swipe of the card. Just press one of the two buttons on the card and it actually lights up.

Step 1: Choose your rewards

Use our online Experience Manager to assign rewards to each of the two buttons on your ePlate. Choose from dozens of rewards and change them as often as you'd like on your computer, tablet or smart phone.
You can also choose which rewards to earn when using your ePlate for online purchases.

Step 2: Press a button

When you're ready to make a purchase, use the buttons on your card to choose which reward you want to earn. Press a button and light up that button's reward.

Step 3: Swipe and earn

Swipe your card and start earning amazing rewards instantly. Get notifications or digital content emailed to you within seconds.

I'm all the money they spent developing that card without remembering that it's going to need a chip within the next few months.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Space-Pope posted:

what happens when the battery in my credit card runs out

You reach for your iPhone and use Pay, OP

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/shanley/status/556230566052261888

lmao

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

eschaton posted:

I think she raises a lot of good points and I enjoy Model View Culture and think it's important work

her anger and style go a long way towards alienating current & potential allies and people who could be persuaded to her point of view, when she uses them to attack those very people as insufficiently revolutionary. it's the sort of thing that has held back many movements, and winds up doing the counter-revolutionaries' work for them.

this post sums it up well. she comes across as massively whiny and it's a huge detriment to whatever point she's trying to make

never mind that the only person in all of tech journalism who matters is joanna stern so why anyone else tries is beyond me

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

graph posted:

"lmao, those whiny bitches should shut up and make me a sandwich!! lol." sulk, eschaton, and chris_knight, completely unironically. loving kill yourselves

lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

graph posted:

you're hosed up trash

and you're an idiot so let's agree to disagree

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

graph posted:

no, seriously, you're hosed up garbage

no really graph, tell me why i'm hosed up garbage because i don't like one "tech journalist" whose only means of trying to make a point is calling every single open source contributor a piece of poo poo, all because she's mad at literally one guy who's been known to be a huge rear end in a top hat for what is probably going on two decades now. there are plenty of nice people in open source, both men and women alike. go gently caress yourself

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

graph posted:

you're a disgusting piece of poo poo, get help thanks.

ok graph have a nice night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

which one of u has the dogbomination again

that's me and he's a good lil dog

• Locked thread