Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Werthog 95 posted:

top secret tips for young animators leaked in the sony hack

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

BANME.sh posted:

discussing your salary with other employees is actually in poor taste and it shouldn't need to be an official policy if you work with mature adults hth

lmao good one

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

i get paid one (1) Life™ brand granola-style cereal bar

so not fair

your employer is buying those on 20x optimum points days and then redeeming the points for more granola bars on bonus redemption days. he's saving around ~36% of the cost and that's not even factoring in when he can stock up during sales!!!

that monster

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

FamDav posted:

says the man who lives in a winnebago

lol

Jonny 290 posted:

winnebagos are like the Cadillac 300 of RVs - olds buy them on name recognition, youngs buy them for status because you're paying 2 to 2.5x the actual value of the thing, all for the name. they're nice, but not $42k for a 19 footer nice.

double lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
also unoccupied "investment" units are probably a sign of the upcoming apocalypse and another reminder to never buy a condo

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the great thing about condo buildings, as opposed to all the other insane bubble investments: a building remains a capital asset as long as it's habitable.

let me tell you about condos in toronto hint: they don't build them very well and some are barely habitable

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i sure hope that nobody ever lives in this place 2 adults + 2 kids + pets

literally my apartment

i'm the countertop waifu unit

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

cityplace is going to look post-apocalyptic

apparently some of the units already do on the inside lol

toronto learned exactly nothing from the vancouver condo crisis and subsequent rules they put into place, it's sad and hosed up

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

keyboard vomit posted:

i think you put the bed in the wrong room

oh yeah, weird

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

:rip:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

depending on where you are the housing bubble is because of the oil market.

the good 'ol one-two punch

i'm still trying to figure out what's fueling high housing costs in southern ontario

the insurance industry? banking?

lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
imagine how exhausting a life like that would be

like you're always doing crazy rich person poo poo while also micromanaging everything at your job

jeez

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

JewKiller 3000 posted:

lol if you think marissa did any of the work of setting up that party, aside from pointing at things and saying "yes" or "no", which is what she does all day at her job too. so i guess if you find that exhausting then sure who needs a billion dollars anyway

from what i have read about her i don't think she's the type to just sit back and delegate. apparently she issues the parking passes at yahoo or smth lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

i'm talking about the op of the marissa thread i'm not cremnobbing here

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Citizen Tayne posted:

Stymie has actually never been wrong about anything as far as I remember.

i've always said that stymie is right, but in the wrong way or for the wrong reasons

but lately he's just been plain right. it's eerie.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i hated my time there mainly because i'm a fuckup with sadbrains fwiw

don't sign everyone's posts lmbo

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Citizen Tayne posted:

please return to ADTRW.

ew, anime

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

o_O

oh it's on now

lol

i guess now we are all sons of bitches stymies

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's sad that so many cities have allowed their regulated cabs to become worse than jitneys

yeah, agreed, which is why i get super frustrated when people say 'oh well cabs are terrible too' like that makes any difference to the argument that 'uber is bad'. now if uber actually gave a poo poo about background checks and providing a safer and better experience than cabs in addition to being cheaper, we might actually be able to say we have something new here.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
remember when we thought the endgame was robots but then we realized we need to maintain robots whereas people can just be thrown away?

yay capitalism

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

there's a service here that drives you and you car home from the bars. it rules. the city tried to shut them down cause of protectionism but the judge told them to get bent because it was safer for them to continue operating.

i don't have a problem with services like this at all as long as they background check their drivers. is it free? often things like this are actually free so even less reason to shut them down.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

mishaq posted:

pancit, lechon, chop suey, bread covered in sugar

poo poo is shameful, and ill eat anything

counterpoint: longaniza, tocino, lumpia, adobo, pandesal

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
and actually pancit is delicious sorry you've been fed some lovely pancit i guess

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

eschaton posted:

be sure to ask random Filipino folks how to make the best adobo, especially if there are more than one around who aren't related

the filipinos i know think this is partly why filipino restaurants have never taken off. even longaniza and lumpia aren't consistent, let alone adobo.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

mishaq posted:

the reason why filipino restaurants havent taken off anywhere on the planet is because the food is awful

nah, i've been to a few restaurants that pulled it off, kinda like how american style chinese food is delicious but real chinese food is not

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

mishaq posted:

im not doubting the food cant be made OK, but the cuisine as a whole is not "good"

ive spent 4-5 months collectively in the philppines and all the food there is extremely low quality and terrible

i love the philippines dearly despite the food

i get that, they love to use cheap ingredients like ox tail and stuff but it can be made with better ingredients and taste good. i've been to four different restaurants (3 in canada 1 in berlin) that served filipino food that was actually tasty, and everything my wife and her family has served me has been pretty great (except kare kare which i don't like).

and i still say that's basically what chinese food is like, i'm told that chinese food in china is universally terrible too but i don't hear anyone railing against chinese cuisine.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
also i think we had this exact same conversation 6 months ago and i think i made my point, so i'm gonna drop it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

haven't you heard? oxtail is expensive now.

also who told you food in china is terrible? was it a white person who considers themselves too good to eat anything other than lean steaks or hamburgers?

three different chinese immigrants now living in canada + dude i knew that worked there for three years that might fit your description + dude that backpacked through china and thailand that does not (he is ethnically chinese but was raised in trinidad)

also in retrospect "terrible" is a strong word, bland would be closer to the descriptions i was given. this is hearsay though so if i've heard wrong i won't argue the point.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

how did you have oxtails prepared that it didnt taste good?

kare-kare

maybe i would like oxtails in something else i dunno, i hate all the little bones and it just didn't taste all that great to me

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

china is, surprisingly, really big and there's a whole lot of regional food variation. there's tons of awesome food. sounds like they only ate stuff like vegetables stir fried in oil with nothing but salt

makes sense

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Wild EEPROM posted:

in this thread:

white people arguing about chinese food

tbf white people are experts on appropriating foreign food and making it "better" (i.e. adding salt, sugar, and fat)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
speaking of foreign food that white people like, i think i'm going to get doubles tomorrow

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

mishaq posted:

the guy that thinks filipino food is good also thinks american chinese is delicious shockingly

actually i don't eat the deep fried stuff if that's what you're implying, but i really like fried rice and stir fry and dim sum and i just assumed what we get is not authentic because i think it's delicious and ppl told me authentic stuff isn't as good (acknowledging everything everyone said about how authentic chinese food obviously has regional variance)

maybe i'm just super open minded about food. maybe i just think all regions have at least some food that's tasty. i dunno, doesn't matter, i just think people should try all kinds of food from different places and not write places off outright and i get annoyed when people dismiss filipino food.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

theres nothing good about 广西 food

:raise:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

its a province in china with bad food

i guessed that i just thought it was neat how i found a restaurant called islam restaurant there

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i'm reading this book on the topic of the rise of the suv in america recommended by tori cmos and it's v good

http://www.amazon.ca/High-Mighty-Dangerous-Rise-SUV-ebook/dp/B001GXQOM8/

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

ayn rand hand job posted:

here's a video of why putting alkali metals in water is a cool idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uixxJtJPVXk

ftfy

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

graph posted:

snes was the best console period

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

I want to get a drone and mount a laser on it and use it to terrorize geese up and down my river

i want you to get a drone and mount a laser on it and use it to terrorize geese up and down your river and film it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
fishmech is right and stymie is wrong

pancreatic cancer grows very slowly, they caught it really early when it was isolated to a small part of his pancreas, his wife and friends *begged* him to get surgery, but his response was "I didn’t want my body to be opened…I didn’t want to be violated in that way."

later when he opted for surgery it had already spread and was too late

• Locked thread