Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That Buzzfeed article could be about any British actor in America. They've framed it the way they have because it's Buzzfeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, that is basically an extended 'gently caress you' from Moore's hubris.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

snodig posted:

Has anyone here seen The Fall? I just finished the second season and I'm curious what you thought of it.

I thought it was one of the best things I've seen recently. Brilliantly acted, brilliantly written series. And sadly unique in how firmly planted it was in the reality of procedure.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I remember that being mentioned before, and being disappointed that I couldn't find a way to watch it. Cheers.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, that was absolutely superb from start to finish. Truly gutted that there's no way to see the whole series in the UK.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The first episode of The Strain is one of the worst pieces of writing I have ever come across. And I read the old Battletech novels. And TVIV.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

eltoozero posted:

Got sucked into Blacklist and James Spader is so good you can't not watch

By season two even Spaderman can't carry the programme. Which is a real shame. It turns the creepy fascist government agent poo poo up to eleven, and the central conceit of the programme kind of falls apart.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The central difference being that Fringe seems like it was always going to be about the overall story and they just miscalculated their initial timing. They always had a goal for where they were going and how to get there. The X-Files was a surprise hit which by the nature of it's subject matter accidentally forced itself into having an overarching mythos. Which they never took the time to lock down. That is why X-Files is such a contradictory, muddled mess in that regard.

The X-Files was a great programme with a lot of genuine classic episodes, but for my money Fringe is the much much better series.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

pentyne posted:

This is going to be divisive as poo poo.

I couldn't tell, but is the point that the kid was completely out of control (looked like he was wildly swinging a bat around at the other kids and then kicked Quinto when he was trying to lecture him) and so Zachary Quinto smacked him?

I can see the argument that its never okay to hit a child but if the hellion is completely willing to hit whoever he wants whenever he wants the parents have failed as disciplinarians and someone smacking the kid isn't a shock.

The dialogue from the trailer is gold

"This is what scars people for life" lol what hippie bullshit is that no kid is going to grow up and become a drug addict to cope with the one time neighbor Bob smacked him
"I'm gonna put that maniac away"
"I'm going to destroy them"

edit: After reading about the book, the central idea seems to be at what point can an outsider step in when people are failing to raise their child and the child is a danger to others. The trailer makes it seem like some weird super serious matter of life and death.

In a civil society you aren't allowed to hit other people. You certainly aren't allowed to hit other people's children. It's not really something that should be divisive at all, except for reactionary morons.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

raditts posted:

I'm not having trouble understanding how it can be a series so much as why it would be a series.

Yeah, that's sort of what I was getting at. It's like basing a story on the central premise of whether or not in modern society it should be acceptable to stage dog fights. Or bait bears. Or beat your partner. The answer is no, no it shouldn't be acceptable. That's a poo poo central premise.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's Liberace's battered sausage. By that I mean they've taken the core concept of this:

And slapped a load of tasteless poo poo all over it.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 26, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's hard to get excited for "Black & White Moral Concept: The TVening". No matter how many Zachary Quimtoe's they put in it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If his parents were responsible he would have had a gun and shot the man who wanted to hit him. Now there's a series. Sort of a ruggedly manly Walker Texas Ranger style macho deal, but with Pokemon and Mr Spock.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Then he's all like, "BUT HE'S TALL?" and he isn't strong enough to hold the gun that high, but then there's a montage and he learns how to be strong. Dramatic scene of him straining to hold the gun up, and then then he does it. He shoots the adult in the balls?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Juice Box Doctrine.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

sbaldrick posted:

I realize actors need work, but why are these two still doing a show with Superfans like this?

It's a genuine career role. It probably also helps that they, apparently, became incredibly good friends. Who wouldn't stay with a job paying TV lead actor money if you got to hang out with you close friends all day and make fun of you fans on-screen? Padalecki even met his wife on the programme... to me it seems like the definition of a dream job.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

IRQ posted:

He didn't seem upset to me. Bramblebrush Cummybarge is just kind of a weird looking dude is all. Also he has a funny name.

I'm sure he cries himself to sleep each night wishing he had a proper manly 'merican name. Like Skip 'Rockjaw' Jogalong-Dashfast III.

Aphrodite posted:

...which I don't think is actually a thing anyone does.

But if they do I think your boyfriend turning you into a vampire actually is pretty unhealthy.

The complaints I've heard about 50 Shades, other than it just being badly written, usually focus on "Jesus Christ if you actually try that you'll kill someone, this is dangerously inaccurate."

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 28, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Deakul posted:

I guess expecting an argument about the show was too much to ask for, keep on irrationally hating stuff without giving valid reasons, kids.

Welp, :byewhore:

gently caress. Off.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
'Legitimately good' is a spurious distinction, of relevance only to people insecure in their own tastes, and who feel the need to sneer at the taste of others.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I thought Deadpool told Ravane to gently caress off the other day?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mu Zeta posted:

Danny Boyle made a cop show called Babylon and it apparently aired all the episodes already. Came and went quickly without notice it seems. Don't people give a poo poo about Danny Boyle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H3JdvlmoyU

It is good. Lots of solid performances.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

IRQ posted:

Excluding PoI.

I really still don't see where that came from.

Yeah, that was incredibly cheap, bad storytelling that came out of nowhere and went against everything we'd seen from that character. It came in the programme's worst run of episodes and more than anything else makes me think PoI might turn to poo poo in the following seasons.

Utterly unearned. Baffling that anyone thought it was appropriate.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
A jingoistic retard rumble over the nationality of TV programmes. Marvellous.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

IRQ posted:

All scripted fictional shows eventually get bad.

There's no need to pin it on this forum for noticing.

A great many goons allocate themselves arbitrary imaginary points for being the first cool dude to hate something for the sake of hating it. Because they are hollow idiots.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The worst thing about comic book threads is that people just start straight up explaining who everyone is and what is going to happen, on the assumption that the only people who watch it are going to be up to date with their crayon literature, and that no one cares about/should be allowed to discover the characters through the actual television programme.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Pierson posted:

I'm more asking so I don't end up buying DVDs I'll never watch.

Season 12 was, as I recall, the point where there were no more original cast members left. That is when the quality really started to drop. Season 13 drove straight off a cliff of idiocy and bears no resemblance to ER.

Edit: Once Leguizamo appears everything is poo poo and you should immediately enact DVD defenestration.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 9, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It was okay, until Billie Piper started doing a show-stoppingly bad, to the point of racist, accent.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Slamhound posted:

I had exactly the opposite reaction. I thought the premise of Pacific Rim was pretty dopey but I ended up enjoying it, whereas the premise of The Strain is something I was looking forward to and it wound up being tedious rubbish.

Yeah, the first episode of The Strain was a tour de force of incompetently made television.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Saloot, Lemon Nenoy.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Are you really posting an irc chatlog on the forum? gently caress off!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mu Zeta posted:

I used to watch a show years back called Third Watch. It was a procedural that had cops, medics, and firemen all in the same show. It was interesting because all it needed was lawyers and it could have dominated primetime.

When are they making Chicago Law?

That was great until 9/11 happened. 9/11 ruined Third Watch. I'll never forgive it for that.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The reason I didn't watch beyond the pilot of Chicago PD was because it seemed like exactly the sort of American programme that brainwashes people into thinking police black sites are justifiable and probably necessary.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Aphrodite posted:

Right, I'm just curious if an actual TV show tried to justify them or something. Besides Fox and Friends.

As mentioned already, the central hero 'bends the rules to get things done' loose cannon, brutally bent copper on Chicago PD canonically tried to cold-bloodedly murder a fireman for some spurious reason. And that is apparently fine. American police dramas are incredibly morally hosed up and most Americans don't seem to notice because that's what they have been raised to expect.

Which goes hand in hand with a culture in your actual real life police that leads them to thinking that running their very own private Guantanamo Bay for forced confessions is a simply spiffing idea.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Wasn't the main impetus for :regd04: all the people who kept asking for warez?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Fateo McMurray posted:

How would you know, 07

The magic of registration dates always having been nothing more than a meaningless dick measuring stick for simpletons.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

PriorMarcus posted:

When did your name change?

A week or two ago. The old one was, pertinently enough for the topic at hand, from a joke I made in D&D sometime around 2002 or 2003. Twelve years of daily use later it was feeling a little worn out and loose. I'd actually been meaning to change it for a couple of years but couldn't think of anything with as pleasing a cadence.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sober posted:

Well I'm fine with this because I'm not a sheltered basement virgin who hates women because one time or twice I was nice to them and I was denied sex in spite of it or something to that effect.

Well, that's a weird overly defensive reaction. I think most people find Dushku intolerable because she's a no talent hack of an actor.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think Day is given poor material in Supernatural to be honest. She's better in her own programme. She's a pretty good presenter as well, if given a bit to much to internet catchphrases..

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
One of the main problems with Dushku is that once you've seen her in something you've seen her in everything. She has the range of a gerbil's ejaculate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You all need to stop watching whatever poo poo you're watching now and go and watch The League of Gentlemen. Because it is far far better than whatever poo poo you're currently watching. Whether you've mislabelled it dark or not.

• Locked thread