Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Togetherness was very enjoyable if you're into the Duplass brothers and what they do. They manage to walk the line between silliness and heartbreaking pretty well. It's nice to see Amanda Peet getting work again as well. Ken Marino shockingly plays a weird rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

The argument lies in whether or not one can or should enjoy the works of a rapist, not if woody Allen is a rapist

Since he's a rapist

A child rapist, in fact

Coooool!

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Is there a thread for the new season of Face Off that I'm not seeing?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

av club released the first part of their top sitcom episodes of the past 25 years for everyone who loves to argue about dumb poo poo like this

http://www.avclub.com/article/best-sitcom-episodes-last-25-years-part-1-213562

and that includes me. stash from the past should be way higher, gently caress you av club

Yeah, that seems legit. Couldn't they have just left off the few that they found on other lists and just made it of the last 5 or 10 years maybe? 25 years ago was the tail end of Cheers and The Cosby Show and they have Girls, Modern Family, and How I Met Your Mother episodes on there?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Hi, Amazon Pilot Season 2015 kicked off the first round today. Go watch and vote and talk about it here.

What happened to the Chris Carter one from last year? I thought it was OK, but my wife keeps asking me about it and I don't remember if or when it's coming back.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

He's got a point, though. Its easy to dismiss a couple of cranks coming out of the woodwork to tear Cosby down decades after the alleged rapes occurred. When its over a dozen, some of whom are credible, it becomes harder to ignore. On top of that is the disturbing notion that a person can have his career and reputation ruined by unsubstantiated accusations over something that no one is in a position now, decades later, to prove or disprove. Does anyone really want to reward and encourage this kind of disgustingly reactionary mob rule? I certainly wouldn't if I were in Greenblatt's shoes.

I see you're new to the internet. Reactionary anger about anything is a base state now. Look at the positive feedback teenagers get for finding people saying un-pc things on Facebook and badgering their employers and families. It's like real activism, but you don't have to miss your raid or look people in the eye.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I watched the pilot episode of X-Files recently to see what the HD print was like (spoiler: great, it looks seriously great) and I was taken back by just how much I enjoyed it. I loved the show as a kid, enjoyed the s1 rewatched I did about 15 years ago but was genuinely surprised just how good it is. It just looks so different to virtually everything that airs now that's become so reliant on CG when they just had basic effects... if they can nail the feel of the early seasons again, I would be straight up on a new X-Files.

Is this the version on Netflix? I've been meaning to rewatch it with Kumail's podcast, but I had no idea that they had an HD version available.

Now that Mulder's TV show is done (at least I loving hope so, it's been floundering forever), Scully has been doing decent stuff in Britain but never really finding an audience here, and Chris Carter's Amazon apocalypse show is not being made (apparently I was the only one that thought it was a go still), why the gently caress not? Even with a smallish budget, they could do things way beyond what was possible when the show was first aired. I'm of the small minority that still liked it with the T-1000 but tapped out with the other lady and her awful leather jackets.

STAC Goat posted:

So are there any BBC shows I should binge on Netflix before they disappear? The article I just read says Luther and Doctor Who are staying so no rush on them and it seems like Sherlock and House of Cards are the only ones that stand out to me and might disappear. But I'm comfortable missing both of those. Anything else I should rush to watch?

What article? Is Top Gear disappearing too? I thought that was one of the (if not the most) popular shows in the world, but I'm not sure if that makes it more or less likely to go away. I just started watching Season 1 again and I was hoping to get caught back up.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

pentyne posted:

I wonder if they even spoke to the original show creators. The US version is filmed in stages. First the person recounts the story sober, then does it 3 more times as they get progressively drunker and drunker, which is were the best comedy comes from.

I love seeing real, semi-famous actors acting out their stupid stories and mouthing their nonsensical words.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Lebron James is producing a game show for NBC, and needs contestants.

Another bit of news a little less odd, but something I personally find interesting is that there might be an American version of Pointless.

I wonder who they'll get to be the smart guy for an american version. He's my favorite part of the UK version. I hope they don't spend much time talking to the contestants though. That's always dumb.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Do the Japanese in the story do a lot of terrible things to the Americans like they did to all of the other countries they invaded? Other than that one instance in the pilot, they seemed very friendly to everyone.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

Yeah haha, personally I thought it was consistently entertaining from 2-4, but it never got outright bad until the last one. If you like crazy soapy plots, unnecessary amounts of gore and tits, and hilarious one liners, you can do a lot worse than True Blood.

Not just tits, but many butts and bodies of hilariously in shape guys. I hated everything that had to do with fairies and somehow everyone being infatuated with Sookie even though she was annoying and gross, but the rest of it is dumb entertainment done well. Decent villains, gorgeous visuals, entertaining accents, and people dying in the most gruesome ways.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

Cold Case owns. I'm sorry you hate fun.

The only good detective type show (what's the real name of these type of shows?) was the Law and Order with Vinny D being a weird creep that leaned in too close and asked inappropriate questions.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 29, 2015

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
"Oh, gently caress you" over and over. What show was that? I think it was a somewhat recent comedy show but I don't remember what it was. Not the best clue but it's popped in my head and I want it to go away

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Perfect, thanks! That was driving me insane.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Mo0 posted:

Didn't Brooklyn Nine-Nine enjoy a good boost after its Super Bowl win? Or was that more attributable to its Golden Globe win?

I've never met anyone in the world who knows who won a golden globe a week after it happens.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Are you a barking mad?

I didn't say it would suck, i said i'm making a stand.
But it has an Englishness, that i seriously doubt any American writer can muster.

There are over 300 million Americans. I'm sure there are a couple who can capture Englishness seeing how it's pretty easy to be steeped in that culture. It'll be better than the British one which is probably why you're acting like a baby about it.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

pentyne posted:

Jesus loving Christ Backstrom just dropped a line that has absolutely no defense at all. He ends up meeting his ex, from the context a lawyer and his line is

"Why aren't you in Salem defending battered women from the men they annoy?"

loving hell I quit the episode right there. This show is complete irredeemable garbage.

Cool, thanks for showing how progressive you are to a group of strangers.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

The original question was about genre shows, and while I haven't watched this week's Modern Family yet, I doubt it took that much of a turn.

It's about exactly the same as far as I can tell. I couldn't be assed to pay attention to it anymore because the only one growing is the boy. The gay dude's daughter is possibly the worst child actor I've ever seen.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Too bad Raul Julia is dead.

Jesse Ventura is still alive though

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Catching up with my HBO subscription. Looking still holds up, as great comedy/drama. Togetherness is bunk. No want.

My opinion on both is the exact opposite of yours.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Coach left New Girl? Thank the heavens, he was flailing there and the worst part of the show but I don't have high hopes for his future. White Girls 2?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

New Girl sits in that weird place that no matter whether it's on a good run or bad, it's still the worst thing I regularly watch I think. There's just nothing compelling about it at all really, but there's sometimes a few gags that work and I don't hate the cast. It's not good though and if it got cancelled, I wouldn't give a poo poo.

It's the only show of its type that I like anymore. I watched Happy Endings, but just didn't feel like watching it one week and never went back. I think I like everyone in the cast and I usually laugh more than groan which is about as good as any of those shows gets. I'm glad they're not trying to force much romance anymore. I just want Winston to be weird with a cat and Nick to drink too much and I enjoy it. It's probably not good though, as you said.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Well remember that these posters have spent literally hundreds of hours talking and fantasizing about what they would do in a zombie apocalypse while the characters in the show have not and are also subject to the needs of story telling and man it's just a bad thread filled with people who don't know how to watch TV.

This one goes out to Division Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRnS8FkcXNk

I'll watch anything Kyle Chandler, Linda Cardellini, or Sissy Spacek did, but that looks pretty rough. Thank God for Netflix.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Slapping/Spanking a unruly child is not abuse and calling it abuse is a slap in the face to every child who has actually been abused.

Maybe not in medieval lands, but in America it's akin to decades of ritual abuse. Shades of gray are not our specialty. Where's the outage in nuance?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
So Amazon picked up (?) The Man in the High Castle and Mad Dogs, which you guys probably care about, as well as Stinky and Dirty which my daughter seems to care about more than any TV show in quite a while for some reason. I was kinda hoping for the Sara Solves It show, but it was pretty similar to a lot of other shows already.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Breaking Bad is (objectively if you subscribe to the culture you live in) one of the best TV shows ever made, or at least a cultural milestone you can use to connect with your fellow humans. It's possibly the same reason people say you should watch The Wire or Seinfeld if you're a bit older. Things may not seem perfect, but it's an amazing descent of a normal person with suspect intentions into his eternal ego. Bitch.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Never heard skycunt before. That's pretty funny.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Even though it has crummy ratings FXX has renewed Man Seeking Woman for a second season.

They need something to fill the space between Simpsons reruns and It's Always Sunny, until they realize it's a failed experiment and merge them back into FX.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Sober posted:

Well I'm fine with this because I'm not a sheltered basement virgin who hates women because one time or twice I was nice to them and I was denied sex in spite of it or something to that effect.

Ha ha, for some reason I don't believe you. Mainly because you felt the need to let it be known to strangers.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

hcreight posted:

Yes. I always skipped it after the first time.

Does Netflix not do that automatically on the computer if you watch more than one in a row?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Man, that sounds like a barrel of fun.

What, you don't like male gaze in your children's cartoons? Trans allegories in light entertainment aren't your cup of tea?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Apparently there's a French version of that naked dating show now, it's called "Adam cherche Eve" or "Adam looking for Eve".

Do the French sue for $10 million if you forget to blur out their butthole for a few frames?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Kristin Schaal being sexual was more terrifying than any horror movie I've seen in years.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I hate today.

It was fun when I was seven, but internet nerds in their thirties should be drawn and quartered for this garbage.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

Is there somewhere I can watch QI if I am not a citizen of that weird backwards country called england

Not legally as far as I can tell, unless they finally decided to start showing it on BBC America in between Top Gear episodes. I don't know why it's not on Netflix yet.

Nevermind, it's on Hulu.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

precision posted:

QI is also on YouTube, or at least most of it.

That's still just stealing though, yeah? You're better off just torrenting it at that point so you're not giving 911gamerdude advertising money from YouTube.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Bown posted:

YouTube aren't in the habit of giving revenue unless people actually own everything in the video they're uploading so your theory is bunk

So where does the revenue go from the ads they play? If Google just keeps it, then they're making money from people watching the show. You probably should have thought that through a little better before trying to sound smart.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Fateo McMurray posted:

He's funny? His new special on netflix has (I think) 1.5 stars so I assumed he wasn't very funny.

I thought the Netflix stars were based on how much they think you'd like the content? Did that change? I haven't watched it for exactly the same reason though. There are enough on there over 4 stars to keep me busy.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

J-Spot posted:

Shearer has had a contentious relationship with the writers for some time. I remember reading an interview with him around season 12 where mentioned how much he hated seeing the names of certain writers on a script and complained about how out of character some of his roles were being written. A few years later he complained that his characters weren't being featured as often in the show which prompted Al Jean to snip back that he never showed up to table reads so his lines got cut.

Somebody making $300 - 400k an episode for a few hours of work doesn't garner a lot of sympathy, especially when the writers are making 1/100th of that each year (if that) for 50x the work.

I watch every single episode they put out, and in the last seven or eight seasons I've made it all the way through maybe 3-4 episodes each season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

less laughter posted:

Paget, not Punky

I was excited for a moment and now that moment is gone. I don't know what a Paget is but I did love some Punky when I was a kid.

• Locked thread