Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

thrawn527 posted:

Or next week? So we only have 12 episodes of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart? drat.
On his last show before the break, he mentioned that once they return it'll be the last three weeks, so 16 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

3 weeks with 4 episodes per week is 12 episodes.
Yeeeaaah, time to shut off the feed and get some sleep.

pwn
May 27, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I believe, interestingly enough, 9/11/2003. But I can't be sure, since I didn't catch the beginning of the episode.

Oops. Obviously 2003, not 2013.
9/11 was still quite raw and fresh then. They skipped doing a new show altogether the previous year on the first anniversary. Jon wasn't joking when he started the show off saying he didn't even want to come in today. :(

pwn
May 27, 2004

Chromatic posted:

Also, watching the 24/7 moment of zen stream, Stewart is way more upbeat and optimistic than he is these days.

I have a theory that he really started getting sullen and going through the motions during the time he dedicated a whole episode(week maybe?) to the first responders of 9/11. A lot of them are/were going through cancer and respiratory problems due to sifting through burning debris and congress voted to cut their benefits due to partisan bullshit. You could tell it really abhorred Jon and was definitely a tipping point, in my opinion.
One of his finest moments.

Lame-as-gently caress Congress
12•13•2010 (8:16)

Worst Responders
12•16•2010 (5:18)

9/11 First Responders React to the Senate Filibuster
12•16•2010 (8:55)

pwn
May 27, 2004

Watching the Rummy Returns clip, it would appear that this frustration is the result of fervently adhering to non-cynicism. A cynic will tell Stewart, "why? Because he's a war profiteer. Quit assuming the good intentions of murderous bastards because they happen to be in suits."

edit: referring to this moment The Rummy Returns: Learning Curves Are For Pussies

pwn fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 12, 2015

pwn
May 27, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

The stream skipped forward a year for a single episode, for some reason. It's back to normal now.
Oddly I thought the same thing happened yesterday when he was interviewing Fareed Zakaria on January 31 2005. The show before, couch. That show, an extension of the desk. The next show, couch is back.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/xjfzc4/fareed-zakaria

Anyway, the new studio was debuted with the July 18 2005 show. Colbert Report debuts in the old studio on October 17.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Selachian posted:

I'd love to see Trump make a deep run as much as anyone, but I suspect he's going to find better things to do around the time he has to submit his financial disclosure forms. No way does he want every reporter in the country trawling through his finances.
He released them last week. Phone posting so no link, but tl;dr is "these forms weren't designed to accommodate my yoog luxurious wealth."

pwn
May 27, 2004

Sounds like roommates getting on each others' nerves, the writers' rooms of these kinds of shows tend to be like second and even first homes during show weeks.

pwn
May 27, 2004

IRQ posted:

Can someone just post the bit Cenac apparently found racist?
Slate has the clip here

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/07/24/wyatt_cenac_on_jon_stewart_on_wtf_he_told_me_to_f_k_off_when_i_criticized.html

it's from the June 9 2011 episode.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/ifx6ld/c--k-blocked-roundup---tim-pawlenty---herman-cain

He addresses the controversy on June 28.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/7qzuu1/oh--for-fox-sake---stewart-eviscerates-stewart

Now that I've watched it, I don't see the problem with political comedians imitating the dude's dialect and mocking his political statements, but then the Outrage Olympics are just getting revved up here so game on.

edit: This bit just came up on the Month of Zen stream as I finished this post. Eerie.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/u5thvd/conversation-about-race

pwn fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 25, 2015

pwn
May 27, 2004

Letterman put some of his pre-show audience Q&As up near the end of his run, too. Great clips. Thanks for sharing.

pwn
May 27, 2004

raditts posted:

Colin Quinn ... is a loving idiot as usual.
As it always has been, so it shall always be.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I kinda chuckled at Stewart suggesting Cruise should have himself dropped into a volcano for kicks.
Haha wow, I didn't catch that. Subtle.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Chromatic posted:

Stewart only has one episode left in a couple weeks right? gently caress. It's finally sinking in that The Daily Show is ending and now I'm a bit depressed. Now I know how all those adults felt when I was 7 and The Tonight Show with Carson was ending.
Or how people like me- Millennials born in the early 80s- felt when Letterman retired a few months ago. He was always around. Last month I hit the point where I had officially been alive as long as Letterman had done a late night talk show. Dude did his show for over 33 years, that's a long time.

Re: Stewart: If you've been watching the Month of Zen, you'll know that he took a good year before his TDS even began to resemble the one we know today, and arguably a couple more years before it had fully shed the trappings of Kilborn's TDS.

When Stewart took over TDS it was an important property for CC, but not terribly so. Stewart had to use the same set, which had been built for Kilborn not even a year before, and even had to use his damned suits. While still quite powerless to the whims of Comedy Central, relative to the formidable task Noah has ahead of him, Stewart in '99 had room to take the show in his own direction.

That was in January 1999. Almost 17 years later, TDS is an institution, a revolutionary one. Think about this: Stewart's team pioneered the practice of recording the output of all the TV news networks, and using their closed captioning to search through years of archived footage for the purposes of holding these assholes' feet to the fire. Now it's just accepted that FOX News is a propaganda arm of the plutocracy, but the network which Murdoch and Ailes began was based on a simple premise: Manipulate reality by exploiting the base fears and the short memory of the anesthetized American public. In a post-Stewart world... well, they still have a huge influence, but hey, I'd argue that if FOX News came about a decade earlier, before DVR technology, the world today would be less aware of the bullshit parade.

While I feel confident Noah will be given some leeway, his is not the show Stewart inherited. He may not have the luxury of finding his feet the way Stewart did.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Atticus Finch posted:

I have something to tell you.
What's that?

pwn
May 27, 2004

GreenNight posted:

If you were born in the early 80s you aren't a millennial.
Oh weird.

quote:

Authors William Strauss and Neil Howe wrote about the Millennials in Generations: The History of America's Future, 1584 to 2069,[2] and they released an entire book devoted to them, titled Millennials Rising: The Next Great Generation.[3] Strauss and Howe are "widely credited with naming the Millennials" according to journalist Bruce Horovitz.[1] In 1987, they coined the term "around the time 1982-born children were entering preschool and the media were first identifying their prospective link to the millennial year 2000".[4] Strauss and Howe use 1982 as the Millennials' starting birth year and 2004 as the last birth year.[5]
I was born in 1982, so I figured that I was a Millennial.

pwn
May 27, 2004

VagueRant posted:

Wondering what to expect for the big finale. A musical number? Definitely a big crowd of guests, I'm guessing - alα Colbert.

But how are they going to pad out the extra time? More clip show bits? Guests talking about Jon and the importance of Jon daily show blah blah blah?
I remember reading that he was seeking "ill wishes" from his critics, inverting the more traditional video well-wishes.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I have an irrational dislike of Klepper due to his passing resemblance to Kilborn.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Irish Joe's thing is finding what you hold most dear and tearing it to shreds before your weepy eyes. It's right there in his title ffs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pwn
May 27, 2004

FrensaGeran posted:

I don't think "I'm in a superhero movie" trumps "I'm hosting a national broadcast cornerstone television program airing Monday - Thursday that's watched by millions of people".

Anyone can be in a superhero movie. My dentist is in a superhero movie.
Is Colbert's Late Show going to be just 4 days a week?

Not commenting on the popularity contest of former TDS personalities

pwn
May 27, 2004

Frank DeCaro was not there either.

Mary Birdsong, where were you?

Were you busy, Denny Siegel??

Lauren :420:, man

Bob Wiltfong is one I actually remember, along with Weedman

Legit surprised Stacey Grenrock Woods didn't show up

Rachael Harris was absent

No Jeff Stilson in sight

Michael Blieden more like LIED IN bed rather than attend the reunion!!

Well, John Bloom is a "God Guy," I hear he's busy...
(Pro-click video :stare: )

You can find Rich Brown on cable access channel 305 in the greater Rockford, IL area, but you wouldn't find him on the set of The Daily Show!

Eric Drysdale wanted to go but he wasn't invited.

Adrianne Frost gave Stewpot the cold shoulder!!!!!!!

Dave Gorman is in England

No show in the world could cause Lord Viper Scorpion to GET OVER HERE

Laura Kightlinger found The Gospel of Bozo in 1999 and hasn't been heard from since.

Andy Kindler... who? gently caress this show was all over the place in its nascent days.

Jerry Minor!! :unsmith: Yet another one-time-only correspondent.

David Pompeii's first story was about Canadian Geese who shat upon a golf course. It was also his last story. Adios amigo

Tom Shillue does not "do" parties

Campbell Smith filled in for Nancy Walls

What's William Stephenson sayin'? "Decline to attend"!

An amusing compilation of some of what was missed during the Month of Zen stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxlol85bjEo

And some Dog on Fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-YonLEv7Go

pwn
May 27, 2004

Misc posted:

You guys know that CBS broadcasts over the air, right? You're like... breathing in free CBS airwaves right now.
There are no CBS stations within range of me. :saddowns:

pwn
May 27, 2004

IRQ posted:

Turn off adblock and watch the same ad 700 times on CCs player
I got toughened up during The Month of Zen, some real calluses.

SAVINGS

pwn
May 27, 2004

Edit: wrong thread

pwn
May 27, 2004

Rush ain't no kid reading funnybooks. He's a grown man, he does grown man poo poo like pop pills and gently caress underage boys abroad.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

...because the alternative is somehow even stupider.
The secret to Carson's rise over Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

I have no complaints about the new show, except one: Trevor, i know you find yourself funny, but please stop laughing at your jokes all the time.

• Locked thread