Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Writer's rooms are notoriously lovely places - egotists yelling across the room is pretty standard.

Add in the fact that its a bunch of comedians who, due to the joke-by-joke format create a much more competitive environment...

Add in the undeniable fact that Stewart is ultimately the guy who has to stand up in front of everyone and deliver the jokes AND get blamed for any blowback...

Add in that Cenac clearly cracked under the pressure of trying to represent the entirety of the black experience on the show, regardless of how racially motivated the bit was...

No easy answers here folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

zakharov posted:

Please don't quote Irish Joe or respond to his arguments seriously.

Every so often he slips up and says something reasonable.

Dr. Citan Uzuki
Jan 26, 2006

I would never tell you anything that wasn't absolutely true that hadn't come right from His mouth and He wants me to tell you
God, Olivia Munn was just so awful...

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dr. Citan Uzuki posted:

Not on the eyes

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Dr. Citan Uzuki posted:

She's a much better actress than she ever was a correspondent. Which is a bit odd, I guess, considering the similarities. She was honestly hilarious on The Newsroom and one of the few reasons I watched all of that tripe.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I wonder how Wyatt Cenac felt about doing the stereotypical voice of the Michael Steel puppet...

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

mcbexx posted:

I wonder how Wyatt Cenac felt about doing the stereotypical voice of the Michael Steel puppet...
Probably the same way he felt about Stewart doing Chuck Schumer. Not that bad?

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Dr. Citan Uzuki posted:

Rewatching the Tiger Mom bit, which was probably her best, yeah, it doesn't hold up as well as I remembered...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
She only did a couple segments though. Most of the corespondents take a while before they really get it. Very, very few of them come out of the gate killing it.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
I'm kind of surprised Ted Cruz agreed to go on the show (he's tonight's guest). I also kind of hope the interview consists of Jon telling him that everything he says is bullshit.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

katium posted:

I'm kind of surprised Ted Cruz agreed to go on the show (he's tonight's guest).

Look at what mean old Jon Stewart said to me, those lieberals hate everything we stand for rabble rabble rabble TAKE ARE CUNTRY BACK.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

katium posted:

I'm kind of surprised Ted Cruz agreed to go on the show (he's tonight's guest). I also kind of hope the interview consists of Jon telling him that everything he says is bullshit.

You sure about that? The site says it's David McCullough tonight. http://thedailyshow.cc.com/guests

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

Tavarin posted:

You sure about that? The site says it's David McCullough tonight. http://thedailyshow.cc.com/guests

Well, that's what my TV line-up says, but that's been wrong before. Probably a good thing; I don't think I could sit through 12-13 minutes of Ted Cruz.

E: The other guests match up with my TV line-up. Weird.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tavarin posted:

I checked the site yesterday, and it said Ted Cruz. Maybe he canceled at the last minute or something.

Edit: It even still has him listed under "All Guests".

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

DaveWoo posted:

I checked the site yesterday, and it said Ted Cruz. Maybe he canceled at the last minute or something.

Edit: It even still has him listed under "All Guests".

Looks like he indeed cancelled. Won't get another chance. I wonder who the last week's guests are going to be? Craig Killborn, right?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

kayakyakr posted:

Looks like he indeed cancelled. Won't get another chance. I wonder who the last week's guests are going to be? Craig Killborn, right?

I wonder if why he decided to cancel at the last minute. I remember McCain cancelling on Letterman in 2008 and Dave was pissed.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PassTheRemote posted:

I wonder if why he decided to cancel at the last minute. I remember McCain cancelling on Letterman in 2008 and Dave was pissed.

Someone probably pointed out to him that it would absolutely not help him get elected in any way whatsoever. After 16 years, someone finally realized that this is a fake news program.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
They released a pre-show Q&A for the web for some reason:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/c6bfih/uncensored---exclusive---jon-stewart-s-pre-show-audience-q-a

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

It's neat to see the behind the scenes for something that most of us will never get to see live. I liked the bit in Rosewater where Jason Jones is sorta directing the interview... "I'm gonna ask you ___... Just stay deadpan." Makes me wonder how about a lot of the correspondent interviews and how those were put together.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Letterman put some of his pre-show audience Q&As up near the end of his run, too. Great clips. Thanks for sharing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It's too bad Billo refused the role in Shark-a-nado 3.

That grunting segment was great. That was pretty much the same reaction I had to hearing that dumb poo poo coming out of Huckabee's fat loving mouth.

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
I only tune in to Wilmore every now and then, and every single time he's talking about Cosby.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Holy crap, all the $1000 - $20000 tiers on that Omaze page are already taken.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Colin Quinn is on Wilmore again and is a loving idiot as usual, you know you just need to shut the gently caress up when you're apologizing for loving Trump.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

raditts posted:

Colin Quinn ... is a loving idiot as usual.
As it always has been, so it shall always be.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

kayakyakr posted:

Stephen Colbert

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Colin Quinn is awesome and good.

Haven't seen him on Wilmore though because that would actually require me to watch Larry Wilmore.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Colin Quinn is on Wilmore again and is a loving idiot as usual, you know you just need to shut the gently caress up when you're apologizing for loving Trump.

Collin Quinn should just be assumed to be a loving idiot until proven otherwise.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
What the gently caress was Collin Quinn even saying? All I heard was blubbering about the pc police and comedy being killed by some nebulous bullshit :qq:

And there can never be enough segments on Cosby and his rapescapades.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Apparently Stewart has been to the White House a few times in a sort of consulting/persuasive capacity. Interesting article - it's more about Stewart's wide-ranging impact, but that's an intriguing aspect.

ClydeUmney fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 28, 2015

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

What the gently caress was Collin Quinn even saying? All I heard was blubbering about the pc police and comedy being killed by some nebulous bullshit :qq:

I'm watching this right now and I'm impressed you were even able to make that much out.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ClydeUmney posted:

Apparently Stewart has been to the White House a few times in a sort of consulting/persuasive capacity. Interesting article - it's more about Stewart's wide-ranging impact, but that's an intriguing aspect.

quote:

“I’ll tell you, some Democrats are worried,” said Sen. Claire McCaskill, a Missouri Democrat who says she was motivated to write her first book with the hope of being a guest on his show — only to find out it’s coming out five days after Stewart goes off the air. “He’s done a great thing for us reminding young people why the Republican Party is out of step.”

:lol: The Democratic party is so lovely at speaking to people that a late night comedian is literally their #1 campaign tool. Also, holy poo poo at Obama being so poorly thought out and lazy a policy maker that he'll immediately reverse course if Stewart tells him to. No wonder our economy is in the shitter when we have clowns like Obama and the Democrats running the country.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Preemptive "stop taking Irish Joe seriously"

Also, panels are really annoying for the simple reason that nobody says what you'd think you'd want to say on the subject. When that doesn't happen, it's not cathartic for the audience. I'm all for calling out vicious bloggers who appear to not be acting in good faith. A lot of comedians seem like they don't want to hear "good faith" feedback though if it's tangentially related to sexism or racism. (I have UCB friends who express similar sentiment as Colin.) Obviously, you can debate what's in good faith or what's not. But I wish someone would point out that a lot of the complaints would have been decades ago if social media existed back then also. The problems people are now expressing aren't new.

Also, it looks like Jon will be on Nightly tonight. Maybe it's about Wyatt Cenac. Or maybe it's a general exit interview.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 29, 2015

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I think I like Lavell Crawford the most on The Nightly Show. He's like a big cuddly black John Candy.

"This shirt is bringing people together!"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Tomero_the_Great posted:

I think I like Lavell Crawford the most on The Nightly Show. He's like a big cuddly black John Candy.

Every time I see him, all I can think is "whatever happened to Huell?"

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Quick, turn on the Nightly Show! There is a good guest.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Chromatic posted:

Colin Quinn is awesome and good.

Haven't seen him on Wilmore though because that would actually require me to watch Larry Wilmore.

Colin Quinn makes Wilmore look good by comparison.

Tomero_the_Great posted:

The way his head is shaped always makes me think someone stuffed Bullet Bill into a shirt and pants.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 29, 2015

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Tomero_the_Great posted:

I'm surprised that they showed people just laughing at that shirt and no white people with a chip on their shoulder on it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Zero One posted:

Quick, turn on the Nightly Show! There is a good guest.

Have you ever seen him defend the concept of rape games and call amazon out for taking them off their store front?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Oh man the grunting segment on Monday's Daily Show was so great. Between that and the intro about Ted Cruz cancelling, that was the most "gently caress it why even write jokes at this point" episode I've seen thus far.

• Locked thread