Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I'm hoping that he starts to understand that and changes his swing to not cripple him any more. I just miss having Tiger on the weekends, even if hes not in contention.

I decided to get fitted this year, is the fittings at Golf Smith/Golf Galaxy workable or do I need to seek out someone that communes with the golf gods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Only watched bits and pieces of Sundays round but I could not imagine playing in rain like that. In the next step this year to take golf seriously, I have decided to replace my hand me down wedges. Where do I start? Do all the brands wedges differ large amounts?

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks for the info. I am looking for a good fitting place for my irons and will also inquire about wedges as well. Unfortunately I only see my self hitting off mats for the next month so I will hold off buying some wedges. Watching the tour start and browsing ebay all day is not very fun when its snowing.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
It is 70+ degrees here and I am stuck with the girlfriend all weekend. We drove by a course that was covered with green grass and packed full of people playing. :negative:

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Getting pumped for the season I pulled my clubs out of storage and found my 5 iron like this

How urgent should i get this fixed? The strength seemed pretty solid under a little pressure, and was pretty straight from an eye test. The shafts were a pain to find a few years ago, no idea what they are like now.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks for confirming that I need a new shaft, guess the new driving iron will have to wait. Also a bit upset as just as I am ready to start playing, a large storm is coming in this weekend. Guess I will polish the clubs for a third time.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Had my first round of the year this weekend as well. Shoot an okay 90 for an easy muni course. Still can not hit the driver to save me, but my new 3 wood was getting crushed.

Have been browsing around and was wondering if any one has experience putting in a graphite hybrid shaft on long irons? I have an old 21* Mizuno Fli-Hi that I may swap the shaft if I can find a good one. Was thinking about the Adlida RIP hybrid shafts, but I have no idea as I have never owned a hybrid.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I'm spoiled, I get so bored if the tourney coverage does not have shot tracer. I want it on every shot, give me it on putts and I will be as happy as can be.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Gratz Kameh, Sergio is always fun to watch and more so when he is in contention so I was rooting for him. Played my first 18 of the year and carried. Big mistake as I was dead tired by the turn, and my swing went to poo poo. May be time to invest in a pull cart and accept I'm getting old and fat.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Got my 3 iron in. drat this thing is so much fun to hit. It came with a recoil shaft but I think want to switch to the hybrid Spieth set up. hope to get out if the weather holds up this weekend.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Isn't the recoil already a light shaft? Spieth has an AD-DI 105.
Its not a bad shaft, but the shaft length is a little short for me and I would like to go stiffer with the long irons. I have never played around with a 3 iron before so this is pretty new so far.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Long irons off the tee are fantastic. If you have the time or money look into one of the driving/utility irons that each company is putting out and you will love it. Also want to echo what was said before and keep with the fewest number of wedges. There is only like two situations that a 60 can do that a 56 can not.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

I would honestly recommend the exact opposite. I like having more short game options, and I'd much rather have a specific club(that I can swing ~100%) in the 100-140 yard range(I de-loft my irons a bit so my 60 degree is 110 - 115 full swing).

I completely understand what you, Mattfl, and Suprfli6 are saying as I am in the same camp and carry 4 wedges. I was replying very late to someone who has been playing a year asking about getting more skilled/confident with the 110 and closer distance. The three of you are quite good at golf and if I remember this thread from years past Docta, you were competing at a high level. I would imagine you have swung each of your wedges more then a player of 1 year has swung all of their clubs combined. What helped my short game the most was only using my 47 PW and a 56 sand wedge for anything about 140 out or less. After a season or two of this I was pretty confident with different shots and then moved to more wedges. But this is golf, do what ever you want as long as you have fun.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Also it was slow at work today and going through golfwrx I found "tiger-stepping" wedges. Has anyone tried this? I need to put new shafts in my wedges and the idea of extreme soft-stepping them to add more spin is intriguing.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
With this talk of fittings, has any one been fit for a putter before? Do you feel it made a noticeable difference?

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Ross is a red herring. Burlington Coat Factory is where it's at.

I feel like I am being set up for disappointment. But I will shower you with love and admiration when I am wrong.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

torgeaux posted:

I play alone, so I'm a single getting with 3 balls or two balls. Sometimes, my partners only play 9, and the course makes me go out on the back alone. Behind stacked up foursomes. I have frequently joined a foursomes to make a 5 ball because it helps the pace. I was in a foursome behind 4 two balls. 4. I asked the starter why they didn't join them up to make 2 foursomes, and he said, "they booked a two ball, we're not going to make them play as a foursome." Really?

Pace of play is my number one problem with my local tracks. If you have an expected pace of play of 4:40, people will play 4:50. None of these courses should be higher than 4 or 4:10.

I have had this issue with most of the courses in North Denver/Boulder I have played. I try to not even touch weekends due to a 5 hour round at Coal Creek and 5 hour round at Colorado National this year already. The issues I have seen are new players in a group with other new players. They can play pretty fast ready golf, but if your hitting 120+ score you have to take a lot of shots and this by its nature slows everything down. then your have the packed weekend starts, and its just slows down play for the rest of the day. I have heard Interlocken has good pace of play, to bad its $110 for 18 these days.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Just saw that Kuchar wears skechers golf shoes. I didn't think he could get any cooler.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I have really liked watching Kuchar. He seems super chill, and has had a really good year so far.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Yeah most of the current or recent US players have bad Ryder cup records. But I am so excited for this year, kinda sad that I didn't end up going.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I could also use good suggestions down there. Played Indian Trace in Arvada a few weeks ago and was a nice course for the price. Set up was a bit confusing though.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

Daric posted:

Spieth needs to step it up. He keeps leaving Patrick with very little to work with.

Yeah but Reed is playing some of his best golf. Is the DJ+Kuchar combo this good, or are they just playing a weaker group?

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

Jovial Cow posted:

4-0 what a morning. I forget, when do afternoon matches start?

The big board lists the first group as 12:30 local time. First grouping rematch hype.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
The US is going downhill fast. They can not make a put.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
That first pairing will be the best of the day. Shame Reed can't play twice or three times on Sunday.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I'm still in shock. US played so well today. That was one of the best days of golf I have seen in a long time. This is so great I am so happy.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I would argue that the single length clubs would work great for newer players just getting into the game. It would help with the common problem of new players that can hit the 7/8/9 irons but none of the longer ones. I do think that if you have had a swing develop for a few years and had lessons, it would be hard to switch to them. I have been tinkering with the idea of same length shafts for my wedges. Just waiting for a sale or some cheap uncut 8 iron shafts.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I am just really happy that there is a set of single length irons. I hope this gets people to talk about club components as getting fit was a huge change in my game. Finding out that I needed longer clubs helped my game a lot, and cutting down my driver was also important to getting my swing to be more repeatable path. Off the rack equipment fits one size and swing type, but most golfers use it with out thinking.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

You don't use them very often, unless your driving is poor or you're on the wrong tees.

That sounds like half the people that play golf. Add in the common growth in length of most courses a decent tee shot will still give you 175+ to the hole. I think not being able to hit longer irons is super detrimental to players and the 'game'. Generic Golf magazine has an article every week about how any one can hit a 3 iron, its no different from your 7 iron learn in these 2 steps (I don't actually read golf magazines anymore). I just watched jDay or Rory bomb a long iron and get pumped about doing the same. gently caress its in your bag I should just try it and maybe this time I can get the ball up. I think these are pretty common to most golfers and then you try and hit a 4 iron and you just feel bad. Sure hybrids are much easier to hit, but how many club sets come with 3/4/5 iron vs a 3/4/5 hybrid. Thankfully most of the negative stigma of using a hybrid has started to leave the game and I hope there use only goes up. I don't even think you should get a permit for a 5 iron until you card a 100 or something.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I am trying to hold off on getting a new driver from CPO after I just got a Nike Origin Putter after finding they are on clearance so the 25% coupon brings them down to $112. Its not even black Friday yet.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
There is also free shipping with code EMFS16M. Just found this morning.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
That's an awesome present. Have you gotten to roll it yet?

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

wisdomHNOX posted:

So I've been trying to get into golf for the least few years, but life keeps getting in the way. I had hoped to get out more this past summer, but my wife and I had a baby in June so I never found the time. I want to make time this summer to get out and learn and improve. I want to get some practice in before spring comes around, but I live in Michigan. What do you folks who live in places with seasons do in the winter to practice? I would like to try and get some lessons in, but all of the courses here are closed until April or so. Any and all newbie advice would also be much appreciated!

I know this is not what you asked but during the winter, working out and increasing flexibility and stamina can really help improve your golf swing. A good golf swing can put a lot of pressure on your back and is not a very natural movement. I don't swing the club much during the winter, but after I started lifting and stretching I feel that my swing comes back quicker and feels more natural.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Just to make your choices more complicated I would think about what kind of courses you typically play, and what the weather is often like. My local area wind is very common to play in so I have started moving away from hybrids and lofted woods to irons just so I can keep the ball flight down. Hybrids are so easy to hit I do miss having one. I am currently playing driver, 14.5* 3wood, 3 DI, 4-P, 52*, 58*.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I sold it. I keep wanting to play 3 wedge set up like 52/56/60, but I get overwhelmed with all the shot choices. Now I don't know what to use my last slot on.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I got a Titleist 712U on a steal and really like it. If the T-MB were a decent price I would upgrade to it. I have the 3 iron with a graphite hybrid shaft and it was the best golf club choice last year.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

Kameh posted:

I have never, ever seen a full set of T-MBs, only the 3 iron. I don't think even pros play a full set. Am I wrong? What gives?

From what I have read on gwrx, State side only the 716 2/3/4 released. Japan saw the full 716 3-pw set so a lot of people imported them. Now they are releasing a full set in the US under the 718. No clue on if they made any changes between the 716 and 718.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

RideTheSpiral posted:

Has anyone ever played in Barbados? I’m going there for a birthday party and will definitely be playing a week straight at the green monkey

I played the Barbados Golf Club as it was the cheapest option. The rental clubs were pretty awful, but that can be expected. The course was in good shape, was beautiful and had a few challenging holes. I would guess the other courses would be even nicer.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Did a twilight 9 hole at a semi popular local course in Colorado and it was packed. Almost no parking. Thankfully after you get off the first tee its pretty easy to keep distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Any recommendations for chipping instruction vids? I have some pretty bad yips and the local course has not opened up the chipping greens yet.