Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

DanManIt posted:

This winter can't go by fast enough.

Tell me about it. I'm hoping we don't get too many more weeks like the last one where it never got above freezing; if it's in the 30s I can usually make myself practice some at home or maybe go to the range. But when it's like 15 degrees there's just no way that'll happen. At least I've seen some decent putting improvement this winter, hopefully that doesn't vanish when I get out on the course this spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Yeah that is pretty lame. They're probably more worried about people injuring each other while trying to catch the stuff, or drunks picking fights over it, than someone being hurt by a thrown tshirt or hat or something but it's still dumb IMO.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

JD Bucks 7 posted:

I have the Sony Open on in the background, and I swore I heard kidniapping. My ears perked up, but didn't care to get up thinking it was some downtime human-interest story that didn't really relate to golf. Then they said Robery Allenby and still talking to authorities. (HE is apparently safe/present) but what the heck? That is up there with Corey Pavins SUV getting shot at in Augusta if some people kidnapped a PGA player/relative/employee Tim Finchem is not going to be having a good week.

They put up a pic of his face that he took of himself after the fact, they messed him up pretty good. Definitely not something I'd expect at a resort area in Hawaii.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

God drat, Tiger is 8 over through 9 holes. I hope he stays healthy long enough to get his game under control. Golf Channel's Tiger Tracker twitter account reads like a horror story today.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

DJExile posted:

holy poo poo what a kick that thing took

Pretty sure the Nationwide dog was hiding in the bunker.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Another WD due to back issues, I was hoping Tiger would stay healthy. I didn't see anything last week that looked like he was in pain so I wonder what caused this.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

He out-drove Bubba by an average of 10 yards last week (while missing a ton of fairways). It really does seem like if he didn't try to swing at 110% every time he'd perform better and not rip apart his back.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

My new irons arrived at the post office today, can't wait to pick them up.

Then I remember that there's 3 feet of loving snow outside and the high temp on Sunday is going to be 0 degrees. Fuuuuuu

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Seymour Butts posted:

What did you get??

Used Bridgestone J40 DPCs that are close to mint. Got them off eBay for a steal. They have the flighted Project X 5.5 shafts which might not be ideal for me but the price was similar to what I've seen for just the heads so I jumped on them.

There's a golf center near me that has two of the Fullswing simulators, I'm going to have to look into whether I can use them to figure out my distances and such or if they're only really used for playing courses.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Seymour Butts posted:

If you are like me and you secretly enjoy watching The Big Break then tomorrow is the first round of the Valspar Championship where last season's winner Jimmy Brandt earned exemption. I'm curious to see if he'll break 80 although I wouldn't bet on it.

I can't see him making the cut but you never know. The current season of BB has several guys with a better chance of making it on tour I think. I'd never really watched BB prior to last season, it's decent.

There are patches of grass showing up through the snow around here, tomorrow and Monday are both supposed to be upper 40s and partly sunny so I should get out to the range both days. Will be the first opportunity for me to see my distance and ball flight with my J40s, I'm psyched. They feel amazing hitting into a net in my garage.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

The driving range I wanted to go to is the only year-round one in the area. I drove over yesterday afternoon to find the parking lot 100% full, with half a dozen cars parked along the street. The range was still entirely covered with snow too so you wouldn't even be able to tell where your balls were landing. I just kept on driving and hit some in my garage when I got home, it was pretty disappointing. They open at noon on weekdays so I might shoot over on Monday if it's decent out, although I was really hoping they wouldn't still have snow.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

shyduck posted:

Apparently Taylormade sales dipped 28% in 2014. Maybe this "new clubs every month" thing is finally catching up to them.

I think it was mostly SLDR selling like crazy the previous year and Jetspeed being largely ignored last year, despite the fact that your typical amateur would probably benefit more from JS than SLDR (at least for drivers/woods, no idea how the rest of the sets stack up). Or maybe my timeline is off and I'm entirely wrong, that's always a possibility.

Are there any golfer goons in VA, southern PA, or anywhere in that general vicinity? I'm curious how far south I'd have to go to find playable courses around two weeks from now, my whole family is sick to death of winter and we're thinking about a mini vacation of golf and hiking or something.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I have a round booked for Sunday with the family and am super excited. Yesterday I got to hit my Bridgestones outside for the first time and loved them, they feel a lot better than my previous set, plus I gained quite a bit of height and a little distance too.

I must have done something weird with my swing while hitting into a net this winter though; every single iron shot was a substantial draw, which I could straighten out pretty well when I wanted to. Unfortunately my 3w and driver were appalling hooks that never got up into the air and would probably be less distance than hitting a 7i. Luckily it looks like the course we're playing should be manageable hitting a hybrid off the tee on almost every hole, I definitely need to figure out what's going wrong asap though.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

My excursion down to southern PA for the weekend was a success. The course we went to was a bit longer than what I usually play and had a ton of bunkers but only a few holes seemed tight and 3h off the tee was plenty long enough. It was also in pretty good shape and was not crowded at all, and the Hot Deal price from golfnow of $28 per person was great.

65 and sunny yesterday on the course, now I'm back home (3 hours north) and had to scrape half an inch of ice off my windshield this morning. Some local courses might be open next week but nothing will be in decent shape for probably close to a month. I really need to move south.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 6, 2015

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Nerdrock posted:

Welp : hit the range briefly today.

My left hand had the surgery 3 weeks 2 days ago. Right hand a week and 2 days ago.

The results : not good. I lack the strength in my hands to keep hold of the club properly during a swing. I can basically feel in my hand the clubface making contact with the ball and turning at impact. This happens with any shot at %75 power or higher.

The good news is there's no shooting pains through anything at least.

I might try again wednesday, and bring my rain gloves and get them wet before.

League starts in a week. Damnit.

It's been pretty windy here lately and my home course has been mobbed with people so I've been hitting lots of extra balls and experimenting with random stuff. And I found that hitting a 75% sand wedge gives me better results than a full lob wedge most of the time, 75% PW is also really reliable and I can hit really big draws doing that if I try. So maybe not taking full swings and using an extra club could work for you until you're fully healed up.

After playing four days in a row, the forecast for this week looks like poo poo so I'm glad I squeezed that much golf in. I'm averaging a bit better than bogey golf so far which is about where I was at the end of last season so I'm happy I didn't fall apart over the winter.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I carried my 5i 210 yards off the tee on a hole this weekend and it really drove home how rarely I make perfect contact with my longer clubs. I could probably swing a 2 iron 10 times without hitting it further than 210. The funny thing is, there were some drunk guys about to tee off on a parallel hole and I was afraid I'd get beaned by one of their shots so I teed up and took a swing as quickly as possible. I was just trying to make decent contact so I could get out of the danger zone and hit the best shot with that club that I've ever had. Maybe I have a future in speed golf?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I bought my Bridgestone irons used for a great price and am absolutely loving them; they're a soft forging so there's plenty of dings in them but it's purely cosmetic and doesn't affect their performance at all. They were cheaper than my first real set of clubs (Calloway Razr Xs) and feel a lot nicer when I make decent contact so I couldn't be happier. I think most of the clubs I buy going forward will be used as long as I can find things in good condition, the prices on eBay really can't be beat as long as you are buying from reputable sellers to hopefully avoid counterfeits.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Kameh posted:

Keep the faith, gentlemen.

It's not over yet but somebody's going to have to make a few birdies on 16/17/18 which is a pretty daunting task. I'd love to see Fowler win this one though with his finish, especially with people throwing that "overrated" label at him all week.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Missing the green from 110 is pretty bad Ricky, cmon man.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Overrated my rear end. Such a great finish, easily one of the best finishes this year.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I'm in love with my Bridgestone irons so far but the set was only 5-PW and I'm having a hard time tracking down a single 4i to add. Right now I have Xhot 3/4 hybrids but I can't predict where they will go nearly as well as my 5i so I'm reluctant to use them. Last year I relied on the hybrids like crazy, it's funny how these things seem to change constantly.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I've been crushing my driver this week after some minor tweaks to my stance and consciously reminding myself to just swing smoothly and hit the center of the face. I've driven the 300 yard second hole twice, drove the 17th hole today (330ish downhill), have had mid irons into the par 5s on my second shot, etc.

And while playing through various foursomes, I've had two different old dudes tell me I need to change my swing because I hit my drives too high and I'm losing distance... sigh.

I rarely play a real round by myself since I'd rather just play multiple balls, take extra shots trying to work the ball in different ways, etc. but with how many birdies I've been making and with almost no doubles, I'd probably be near par on my home course which is crazy. On longer and more difficult courses I'd still probably be in the 80s depending on the day but compared to where I was a year ago I'm thrilled. I'll be playing in a few scrambles at my course this summer plus the club championship and I am pretty excited.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Most amateurs don't have a high enough trajectory on their shots, old guys especially. Really though, you'd need to get on a launch monitor to be sure.

Yeah I've never been on a high end monitor but I know what 110+ mph swings look like and I'm not close to that, so in order to manage a 250-260 yard carry I've got to be optimizing my angle/spin pretty well. I'm playing with my driver set to 10.5 degrees of loft and definitely hit up on it a little bit so it does look like the ball goes too high but I've never been able to consistently hit as far when I was keeping the flight lower.

I've seen so many people try to fix their "moon ball" drives that end up losing both carry and total distance when they get their flight lowered. There are definitely people who do hit drives too high or have too much backspin but I think a lot more people just don't have an accurate idea of what an optimal launch angle and peak height looks like for a drive.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

This is a dumb game, or rather, it's a good game that makes me want to do dumb poo poo.

I've been playing really well this year. Somehow I started this spring off playing better than I was last fall despite minimal practice over the winter. I've gone like four or five rounds without an OB or putting a ball in a hazard, I've been hitting par 5s in two often, haven't hit any terrible duffed or bladed shots, etc. But now I'm unhappy that I can only hit draws and straight shots with my irons so I've been trying to hit ridiculous over-the-top cut swings with my irons out into my field/makeshift driving range. It's probably more likely that I'll just ruin my normal swing but I can't help myself. And all last year when I was hitting fades, I wanted to be able to hit draws. It's maddening.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Halo14 posted:

I know what you mean. Somehow I can hit a specific shape shot on purpose only when it's to avoid an obstacle or get out of trouble. On the tee or in the middle of the fairway I have less success.

I wouldn't mind to be in your position though - straight or draw would be ideal for me. I'm always hitting these pissweak fades/pushes or getting stuck and leaving the club face slightly open.

Yeah I think I'd be thrilled hitting draws all day if I had a membership to any other course in the area except for the one I'm actually a member at... There is one single hole where a draw is obviously preferable to a fade, while there are like 7 where a fade is ideal and the rest are fine for either shape. It's basically set up to be very friendly for your average hacker hitting 200 yards off the tee and fades/slices with every club.

I shot a 10-over 80 this morning playing from the back tees which I'm very happy with. I had a couple birdies including the 210 yard 9th hole with a hybrid that landed 10 feet short of the pin and stopped after one bounce, two feet short of the hole. I also bogeyed a few holes that are among the easiest on the course when playing from the white tees but are a ton more frightening playing 40-50 yards farther back.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Two years ago I wouldn't be able to break 100 without mulligans, gimmes, taking drops from OB, etc. Then I got a membership and played 100+ rounds and got decent clubs and spent a lot of time watching golf stuff on YouTube and could shoot in the 80s on a good day (at my short and easy par 70 course). Now this year I've played over 30 rounds since the courses opened in mid/late April and am averaging somewhere in the upper 70s. I'd still probably shoot in the mid/upper 80s playing some of the courses and yardages I see posted here, but I'm really happy with my progress. I'm hopeful that by the end of this year I'll have an even par round.

It really is just a matter of sinking a ton of time and effort into improving if you want to drop your scores. I'm lucky that my course is rarely that busy so I can always play multiple balls, spend a lot of time trying other types of shots, and have the time to play 4-6 times a week. If I still only played a handful of times a year it would be like starting over every time I played and any permanent progress would be almost impossible.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I've been using those plastic "4 More Yards" tees you see advertised every now and then, I have one length for my driver and one for my 3 wood. I doubt they really add distance but is nice that they're always the right height for me just by sticking them into the ground as far as the little ridge on them lets you. Also, I haven't broken or lost any in 100+ rounds so I've saved some money and never realized partway through a round that I broke my last tee.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I play as a single a lot, and at my course that means I just show up and tee off. Having to be thrown in with 3 randoms every time I played would suck, I like being able to walk 18 in 2.5 hours while playing 2 balls.

Most of the time if I catch a two-some I'll just slow down a bit and practice my chipping and putting on every hole, but I play through most foursomes. Typically they just wait for me to finish a hole behind them without me even asking or anything.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I walk >95% of my rounds and use an Ogio push cart, I like it a lot. Sadly my Ogio bag is a stand bag and isn't compatible with the clip system for the top of the bag on the cart but I just use a rubber strap to prevent it from tipping sideways on hills which does the job fine. I got mine from rockbottomgolf last spring for around $200 I think.

I hurt my back a few years ago while mountain biking and have a few muscles that must not have fully healed. Carrying my bag would always aggravate it, pushing the cart doesn't unless I'm playing a ton and try to swing too hard on too many shots.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Well I hit the longest drive of my life yesterday, I think the only way I'll top it is if I find some gimmick hole with a tee box that's elevated like 300 feet above the fairway. The 17th hole at my home course is a straightaway par 4, 345 yards to the center of the green from the white tees. The whole thing is slightly down hill until the very end where it levels off for a bit and then has one last slope down to the green. The combination of a well-struck high fade, a helping breeze, and what must have been a rock in the fairway resulted in my ball ending up on the back fringe. A few times on hot dry days I've managed to get the ball to roll to the last slope and end up on the front fringe but the course was soaked and I got a huge bounce somehow.

My course championship is in a week and I'm really looking forward to it. The weather this week looks awful so I'll probably only get to play like twice before Saturday but I've been playing well lately so I could use the break. I remember how happy I was to shoot 92-86 last year and now I'll be disappointed if I'm not in the 70s or low 80s.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Bunch of VA golfers on wrx who know the course are pretty skeptical. I mean the dudes a +4 handicap and it was only playing 6000 yards but the odds of 3 aces in a round are so low. Also it seems that nobody outside of his group saw the aces so who knows. The guy claims to have 25 aces in his life which is hard to believe.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I like my Ogio bag and will probably stick with them if I get one that works better with my push cart.

Thought Tiger was gonna blow up today when he had that bad double bogey but instead he fires off three birdies in response to finish -4. Never know what'll happen tomorrow or this weekend though.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Ended up shooting 78-80 in my club championship this weekend. I had great starts in both rounds, going 1 over and 2 over through nine holes. Unfortunately I still haven't been able to play a full 18 as well as I should but compared to a year ago I've made a ton of progress. Won some skins too which is always nice.

Paul Proteus posted:

At age 27, i had never picked up a golf club before and just started some group golf lessons about four weeks ago. I was given a hand me down set of irons/hybrids that are in good condition, but I don't have a driver. It's a bit intimidating trying to figure out brands, lofts, etc but I think I've decided what to go with. That said, I have no idea what to pick for shaft flex. I don't swing well enough right now to judge it based on random online things I have read (distance with specific irons or other ideas), but I'd at least like to practice with it. Do you all have any idea what a beginner should start with?

I started off with regular flex when I was getting my first real clubs a couple years ago, now I'm playing stiff and there honestly isn't a large enough difference to worry about as a beginner. I can pop my stock r-flex shaft into my driver and hit it almost identically to my stiff one, I just don't like the feel as much. I'd avoid extra stiff or women's/seniors flex stuff but regular or stiff will probably work just fine.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

corn in the fridge posted:

Oh cool it seems people actually play golf in this thread. I have just started to pick the game up and today I will be out playing my third ever round. Any tips for beginners?? 🐣

Don't try to swing as hard as you can, focus on where your weight is throughout your swing, and just try to make decent contact with the ball. Duffing/skulling shots inflate your score in a hurry.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

So jealous. All of the Scotland ads they show during Scottish Open coverage are driving me crazy, those courses all look spectacular.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Kameh posted:

See, I feel differently. A 3 wood has a lot of technology that drivers have, but if you're a new golfer, you're PROBABLY going to mishit the 3 wood as often as you mishit the driver. But, all other things being equal, you're gonna be 20+ yards ahead with a driver mishit compared to a mishit with a 3w.

Article I read a while back that sort of solidified this nebulous notion of mine that driver off tee is better than 3 wood - http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2007-10/golftechdriver

Personally, a bad swing is a bad swing, but unless there's trouble at the end of the fairway or a driver will leave me with a wonky yardage, I'm pulling driver every time.

Last year I went through a phase where I completely abandoned my driver and just used 3w. But then I cut my driver down to 44.5 inches and changed my setup and now I can't remember the last time I hit my 3 off the tee (and I almost never use it from the fairway either but that's mostly because my home course doesn't really call for it). I do need to start practicing with my 3w though because there's a dogleg par 4 that you can drive if you hit a fairly high tee shot, but my driver tends to actually go over the green lately.

Once you groove a decent swing with a driver you should feel pretty confident hitting it, and honestly my mishits with a 3w are worse than with my driver anyway since it's a much shallower face. I suppose that isn't true for everyone though.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Kameh posted:

I played my first irons only round in...maybe ever? Left my driver, 3 wood, and hybrids in the car. Carried 3-PW, 50*, 58*, and putter. I don't normally even carry a 3i, and in fact, I didn't even hit this 3i on the course until yesterday. I've left it in the closet for easier to hit hybrids.
How far do you hit your 50 and 58? There must be quite a gap.

I'm thinking of trying a new wedge setup or maybe I just need different clubs or to work on my swing with them. My j40 PW is 46 degrees and is my stock 130-135 club with either a draw or a straight flight. Then I have a 52 degree Vokey SM4 and 58 degree SM5 and they both are giving me pulls and weak fades lately when I take full swings. I plan on going to a driving range later this week and just hitting my wedges to try and figure out what's different. Right now the 52 goes like 110-115 yards and the 58 is maybe 90, but there's more variance with them than I can tolerate. I've only got 13 clubs in my bag so even if I do start hitting them better I still might get a 50 and 54 or maybe 50/55/60 or something.

It's really strange to prefer having 150 yards into a green rather than 100 but that's where I'm at right now. I've got a few tournaments and outings planned for later this month and August so I'm feeling some pressure to get this sorted asap.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Angry Asian posted:

Jason Day crushing :canada:'s dreams :D

Would have been sick if Hearn made eagle and there was a playoff, but as long as Bubba didn't win I'm happy.

I shot a 99 Wednesday while camping on a super narrow and relatively long course which was still rather disappointing. The guys I played with were in agreement that the groundskeeper needs to get laid because at least 4 holes were cut on slopes that made it impossible to leave a putt within 2-3 feet even if you started below the hole.

This week I'm playing as the guest with my boss in his Member-Guest tourney that even includes a Friday practice round on top of banquets both days and drinks, and the course is flat and wide open. I've never played with him but he says he can drive the ball quite a ways and it's like a 6500 yard course so we should have some fun.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Yeah don't get me wrong, seeing him hit a gap wedge from 170 and fly it past the hole, or those ridiculous huge slices that still somehow go 350+ are cool to watch and he's an amazing player. But he also seems like a nut and it's fun to root against him.

Shot a 76 this morning (par 70) at my home course so I guess only playing once in the last 10 days didn't mess me up too badly. This week is supposed to be like 90ish every day which is hot as balls for upstate NY, so I'll probably be limited to 9 holes in the evening when it's not quite so bad. The weekend looks a bit better for my tourney though. Had my boss put me down as a 12 handicap and I think he's like a 20ish, but since it's an easy course I'm betting we'll be under par both days. There's like 54 teams in this thing and it's broken down into a bunch of flights so whether you actually win anything seems like pure chance.

Apparently they do the betting where every team can be bid on and if you have the winning team you get most of the money, anyone ever done that? I think it's Calcutta? Do people typically just buy their own team or what? I could see if it was like a country club where you know everyone you could have an idea on who might play well and be worth trying to buy but if you don't know anyone else I'm not sure what to do. Try to jack up prices on some other teams just to get more money in the pot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I played a practice round with my boss yesterday for the Member-Guest tourney that's later today and tomorrow. We were a few shots over par which isn't terrible but I was hoping to be a bit lower. There were a couple holes where we each hit a bad shot and it cost us. He was hitting some bad slices off the tee so hopefully he gets that dialed in a bit. Almost all of the par 4s are short enough that we had 50-90 yards left if I hit a decent drive, and there's only one hole on the course where my draw off the tee doesn't work well so now that I have a better idea of the line to take on some of them we should be in good shape.

We're in the lowest of the six flights as 13 and 28 handicaps, there's like 120 teams total. It should be interesting to see how scores end up and if I finally get to witness any of the sandbagging drama I see people bitch about on GolfWRX constantly.