Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
So I finally got an introductory golf lesson today, after "teaching" myself golf by 1) watching a poo poo load of youtube videos and 2) going out and hitting the ball. I felt like I was doing a lot of things pretty well, and the instructor agreed (took one look at my grip and said "nice!"). He watched me hit a few balls, and pointed out and corrected 3 things I was doing wrong. Literally minutes later (aiming to the right, dangling my arms/not making good arm+chest connection and leaving way too weight on my right leg in the downswing), I hit 3 consecutive 7 iron shots sweeter, farther and straighter than ever before.

Moral of they story: Get a lesson! You can learn all you want from books and videos, but sometimes you need someone who knows what they are doing to look at your swing from another perspective (aka not your own). I will probably go back a few times with a couple of rounds played in between each visit, focusing on the handful of strategies and areas he indicated. I'm pumped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Does anyone else put like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITRaVI6lDPE, where he advocates finding a dominant arm and using the shoulder of that arm to create a fulcrum? Basically it is an arm only swing. Thoughts?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

A lot of people putt like that. You shouldn't be rotating your shoulders or upper body while putting anyway, it's all arm swing. You'll see tons of pros (look at Jordan Speith) warm up with several 1 arm putts with both hands before they move into 2 hand grips.

My right arm is dominant so I putt right hand low with an extended index finger down the shaft to help me control angle better I average 1.6pph which isn't fabulous, but I am also not a pro.
Thanks for the advice.

I've been to the range every day this week and I feel like I'm getting better pretty rapidly, but the one area I'm still struggling in is my lower body. I feel like I'm getting conflicting information about where to put my weight and how to shift it. As I understand it, I want to start with weight pretty evenly distributed on the balls of my feet. As the backswing progresses, I put more of my weight on my right side, and then I start the downswing by shifting that weight onto my left leg?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

Essentially. A proper golf swing is really tough to accomplish. Too many variables that have to all line up. For me when I take practice swings, say with a 5 iron. I line up with the club face in the middle of my stance slightly pressed forward. I'll do a slow back swing to feel the weigh shift to my right foot and try to be aware of where my arms and elbows are. Then I forcibly unload weight to my left foot while exaggerating hip turn. Forcibly in the sense that after my swing you'd see a footprint from my left foot as I drive the weight over and down through impact. I've never really had issues with my swing in general, my biggest issue is consistency in closing the club face. The last coach I had in high school though it was because I had too much power with longer clubs. Which is pretty evident because I am laser accurate with 56 thru 8 iron so much so that I practice driving more than anything so I tend to end up with Driver > Wedge on most par4's
Thanks for the advice. I found a couple of different drills that I used yesterday to practice this, including this Hip Turn drill and this one about hitting after the ball, and the result has been really positive (you can't hit in front of the ball if you don't shift your weight and turn your hips). The difference between "hitting the ball ok with game improvement clubs" and "actually hitting it how and when you are supposed to" is bigger than I thought. I was hitting it further from that half swing position in the Robin Symes video utilizing weight shift and a powerful hip turn than I was normally from a full swing :D

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Should I get white, tan, or black?

Fun story. The 12 Extra Wides of these fit perfect and I found a pair at the local golfsmith for 70 bucks on sale. The next week, my car was stolen and I had left them in the trunk. gently caress my life, I can't find the 12 Extra Wides anywhere.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Can someone explain the concept of tee time prices and pacing? Throughout the spring, I've been playing at Norcal/bay area courses at different times, and I've come to the conclusion that the twilight rate concept makes no sense. Sample size is low, but playing in the morning several courses have been almost empty and that same course becomes crowded and jammed with people after noon when the twilight rate comes out. Two of the guys I play with have a "well I'm not paying non-twilight rates, gently caress that" attitude. I really feel like if they just made the same rate all day more people would play in the 9-11am time and a 2pm tee time wouldn't have groups queued up to play each hole.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Ya that was late winter/early spring rates. Its 4pm now. Fair enough on those points I guess.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I'm getting close to finishing up my first year of golfing and this is what I'm using.

Driver: Ping G2 11 degree (got it for 40 bucks off ebay)
Irons: Adams Idea A12OS hybrid set, 4-6H, 7-9 Iron, Pitching and Sand Wedge
Putter: Cleveland classic 2i putter

tl;dr Everything is starting to feel really good (especially the hybrids, the 5H is an awesome club) except for my pitching. Once I get to 100 yards or less, I feel like I'm just guessing on how to hit and which wedge to use, and the distance feels totally random. Sometimes I will half swing with the Pitching Wedge from 60 yards and drop it right on the pin, sometimes I will do a quarter swing from 30 yards and blast it over the green.

It is really frustrating and the main thing I want to fix, but upon researching I have realized that there are a lot of different theories and ideas out there. I've also realized I'm hitting my pitching wedge with the same kind of swing I would my 9 iron, as opposed to a different, specific swing. Dave Pezl 4x3? Clock face? How many wedges? I'm assuming I should adopt some kind of better technique pitching/chipping swing, and the idea of having the same tempo swing that I adjust by grabbing a different wedge and/or increasing my backswing seems great.

I've also been reading back in this thread and seen things like "I use my Cleveland 588 58 degree wedge for everything 100 yards and closer". Do I just practice with one versatile wedge a lot or adopt some kind of multi wedge/backswing distance system?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Picked up a 60 degree Cleveland 588 Rotex from the local play it again sports for 30 bucks (well used, the bottom of the black club head has had all the black worn away) and spent the afternoon chipping balls in the park. Really fun and by the end, I was getting really reliable 15-20 yard chips with a 9:00 oclock backswing and a nice smooth, relaxed swing. Popping it right up in the air and instantly dying in the fairway length grass. Good poo poo!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

So I have been playing pretty much once a week for the past few months and my hands are still just totally hosed at the end of 18 holes. Both hands are sore and tender actually, but the main spots seem to be my right thumb (the fingerprint part) and the fleshy part between my first and second knuckle on my right index finger. AKA, where the thumb and index finger touch. Am I squeezing with my fingers too hard or do my clubs need better quality grips? The skin is just so sensitive and painful by the end that my last few holes always suck. I assumed I would just need to toughen those areas up but its not getting any better.

I'm a 6'2" man but I have fairly small hands and thick, fat, shortish fingers. Undersize grips?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

BCRock posted:

Your right thumb and index finger shouldn't be touching. The pad of your thumb should be on the grip. Sounds like your grips are too small or you're doing some really funky stuff with your fingers.
Sorry, I meant "where they touch" as in where my thumb would naturally touch my index finger outside of a golf context. That part of my index finger.

ironlung posted:

Probably. In the first chapter of Hogan's book he recommends gripping the club with your right thumb and index finger completely off the shaft to get the correct feel. Too much pressure from those two fingers is not good.

If your grips are really old, new ones are a very good idea too. You can DIY for very cheap too.
The grips are not old, I just wonder if there is a softer, smoother material out there I can use. Its a year old Adams Idea A12 OS set with a few other clubs at the ends.

I think you are right that I'm probably holding the club too strongly.

cheese fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 8, 2016

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Summit posted:

There's nothing wrong with a firm grip but if you're causing pain I would loosen up a bit. Personally I find when my grip is tight the increased hand tension works into my wrists and forearms and I struggle letting the club head release naturally. I hit my best shots with the most minimal grip pressure possible. That's just me of course but my point is it's not necessary to strangle the club to swing it.
Ya I really think I am probably gripping too hard. Maintaining a gentle grip is probably what I will focus on next round I play.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

FWIW Costco has some Greg Norman dri-fit polos with some stretch for like 16 bucks. I played in a light grey one this past Tuesday and liked it so much I went back and bought the blue. I have bought an almost embarrassing amount of their golf stuff this year: shorts, shirts, balls, the 3 glove packs. I am considering the Taylormade Ghost Corza Putter they carry. It looks great and has good reviews, and its time to get a putter with better indicators.

I checked the Marshalls near me last night since it was late. They had a TON of Nike shoes including a lot of football cleats at great prices. Gonna hit up the Burlington and Ross near me when they open this morning.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

daslog posted:

Any ideas for clubs for an 11 year old girl who swings lefty and is 5 feet tall?

Edit: I want a backyard like this

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGaepXMGKij/

To be honest, that is what I do as well if I were that rich.

Ross/BCF report: I was reminded of why I don't wear Nikes. Hint: A size 13 foot is not a size 10 foot with longer toes. I actually threw on a size 15 pair of Nike TR 1 trainers despite being a size 13 foot and they fit perfectly width wise and were 2 inches too long lol. I actually ended up buying these Nike FL Bermuda's in the grey/pink because they were 24.99 and why not. The right shoe is just on the edge of uncomfortably narrow, but maybe some shoe horns will stretch it just a smidge?

Honestly all this did was make me want a pair of ECCO Biom 2 Hybrid's even more. Gorgeous and the size 47's fit like a glove. I can't justify spending 200 dollars on golf shoes, right? ...right? :ohdear:

cheese fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 10, 2016

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Don't do it. At least try to get a deal on Ebay.
Wow, they really are cheaper on ebay? Is it all legit?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

If you don't take/have never taken golf lessons, I can now highly recommend recording some swings to take a look at. I wanted to figure out what was causing my driver to be so inconsistent and after watching the iPhone recording of just one of my swings, I realized I was making like 3 different mistakes. Spent the rest of the range session working on two of those (hips coming forward in the downswing and my arms getting ahead of my shoulders in what I thought was a smooth, one piece takeway) and by the end, my drives were a fair bit more consistent. I suppose if you have regular lessons then your instructor will help, but if youtube videos is as close as you get, you might want to try it.

Edit: Protip - Don't be like me and hit 30 balls in a row with your driver that all take off low and nose dive hard into the dirt after 70 yards. If that happens, stop teeing off with the ball 8 inches in front of your driver :(

cheese fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 15, 2016

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I was looking for some information about putting and it, like the rest of golf, seems to have a ton of often widely different opinions. How do you guys separate the bullshit from the good info in golf, or is it less about good info and more about what works for you? I've been going down the youtube rabbit hole over the last week and I think I'm doing myself more harm than good looking at all of these different instructors and videos. For every Monte Scheinblum who I look at and go "Ya that seems to make sense" there is some guy talking about "natural biomechanical swing" that does 7 things different (and says I will hurt myself if I play golf like Monte).

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Popped into the local Golfsmith and saw they had the shoes (Ecco Biom Hybrid 2) that I have been lusting after on closeout/clearance. Walked out with a pair of the orange/white ones for 97 dollars. I'm half tempted to swing by again in a few days and grab a second pair at that price so I'm set for golf shoes for like ever.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

I will never understand the golfers obsession with shoes. I literally got my first pair of golf shoes ever at the beginning of this year and I will wear them until they die a horrible death. I guess if youre playing 3+ times a week having a backup pair for when the others get wet is good but more than that seems crazy.

Then again I dont understand the obsession over headcovers, golf bags and shirts either. I think golf is a game for people with severe OCD.
I dunno, I walk a lot of courses so it seems like a good investment to me. I have been using my trail runners and they work, but I wanted some golf shoes that I felt would last for years. These size 47 shoes fit my feet (which are basically 12 wide in reality) really well which is somewhat rare, so buying 2 for <200 bucks and being set for shoes for basically eternity seems like a good plan.

Range report: I forced myself to do 2 quick drills in between every shot I took and I feel like it payed off. They were 1) Get in my stance, put a club across my chest and go through the shoulder/hip turn into the backswing and then really drive the right shoulder toward the ball on the downswing and 2) This drill where you make 3 distinct motions to create the backswing [wrist cock, arm rotate, shoulder rotate] and then take a swing. I hit about 15x 7 Iron shots in a row that were all pretty much spot on with nice, high arc 130 yard and most went within about ~10 yards of the flag I was aiming at. It felt really good and purposeful, which I think will help me get away from my frantic "crank as many balls downrange as fast as I can" usual pattern.

cheese fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 17, 2016

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Think I will just stick with the one pair. They should be fine for basically every type of golf in CA (I will rarely be in the rain) and last for years with good care.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

DJExile posted:

So holy poo poo I had some kind of round today

#5 was basically the raddest golf moment i've had so far. This was a chip-in over a bunker from about 25 yards away. one bounce, hit the stick, and dropped.

Most importantly, I had 2 witnesses :v:
Is this an App or something that you guys use? I love the format for score cards.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

DJExile posted:

Golfshot GPS, great app
Wow, cool app. I'm surprised it has all the central CA courses I've been to, even the dinky ones. 30 bucks ain't cheap but this IS Golf...

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Sataere posted:

So did what I just say make any sense? Most of the guys I play with are decent, but their feedback is unreliable.

Halo14 posted:

Try to remove as much tension as possible while staying in control. This will allow you to properly release the club head through impact.

With the hands I imagine the grip strength of holding a bird, firm enough so it can't escape yet gentle so as you don't crush it.

Applies to putting as well.
I've also heard the baby bird thing and it works for me. There seems to be a direct correlation between how limp my arms and wrists feel and how well I hit the ball. The basic idea as I now understand it is this:

The goal is to set up with the clubhead behind the ball and then to get back to that spot on the downswing. You arnt using your wirst or arm muscles because you don't need to, and only bad things can come from it. If you rotate your torso and hips keeping your spine angle straight, and then rotate back the same way, you will get back to the same spot.

If this is wrong, please let me know, but its how I hit at the range last time and the results were pleasing.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Ya that is good advice and a nice way to visualize. Its hard to accept but pretty much yeah, it really does seem like having dead arms helps with hitting the ball. In a way it totally makes sense. We are effectively trying to turn our body, with its hundreds of muscles and tendons, into a simple mechanical pendulum - I mean, a robot has no trouble hitting a golf ball perfectly every time. By relaxing your arms (especially your grip which relaxes your forearms), you simulate more effectively that robot.

Also, don't forget, we are not swinging a 15 pound axe to split a 2 foot thick piece of oak. This is a 1.6 ounce golf ball being hit by a club so light and delicate that club shaft weight in measured in grams. All you need is club head speed and you get the most by swinging with your body. I'm working hard on the things that help with that and it is difficult, but it sounds like we are all seeing results.

mattfl posted:

The free version is just as good, is there a free version anymore?
Sweet found the free version, thanks.

cheese fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 21, 2016

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

daslog posted:

:allears:

You young kids should try to marry a women that can golf.
I find that a good dose of hobbies and activities that only one of us enjoys is a healthy thing for relationships. I have a friend who married the "she loves everything I love" woman and it has created tension at times - sometimes you just need to get away!

Josh Lyman posted:

I kind of really want to buy this so that I can unleash the dragon, but it seems like a waste of $10 just for a meme

Uhhh, waste? That is a funny way to spell "Great Use of 10 dollars"...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Unknownmass posted:

I have really liked watching Kuchar. He seems super chill, and has had a really good year so far.

I loved this shot of his last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pih4zBwYk8