Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Modest Mouse have a new album coming out. It's called Strangers to Ourselves and it comes out March 17. Nobody likes it or even wants to hear it, and I guess it took so long to come out because Kanye is autotuning Isaac Brock and he said that nobody should ever listen to Lonesome Crowded West again, which was the source of some major controversy. Oh, and their longtime bassist, Eric Judy, left the band.

There are three singles from the album so far:

Lampshades on Fire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztdoHfbTRsk - Literally the worst song they've ever recorded.

Coyotes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW5Or7bIVJk - Literally the worst song they've ever recorded.

The Best Room: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmw8lVXHIms - Literally the worst song they've ever recorded.

This thread is to discuss how this is the worst album ever released and the only good thing Modest Mouse even made was Sad Sappy Sucker.

Edit: They added another song. It's the worst, it's so bad, and nobody likes it. It's called "The Ground Walks." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBTtPt8-WAY

Edit 2: They released another song. It is even more the worst than the others, which are also the worst, and it is called "Of Course We Know." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGsf8IYP5WI

Edit 3: I guess it leaked or something? It's not March 17 and people are discussing it.

Edit 4: There's going to be another album soon, according to Isaac Brock.

Edit 5: The album was released. It is, as predicted, the worst, and it is only going to sell like 5 copies.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Budget Prefuse posted:

im going to marry isaac brock
Wow, haha, talk about a sad sappy sucker.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

starbarry clock posted:

i only listened to lampshades on fire and it sounds like a modest mouse song whats the problem exactly with it
I don't know, but I can tell you this: they really jumped the shark with their nautically-themed album We Jumped The Shark.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The more I think about it, the more depressing it is to me that the same band that put out Lonesome Crowded West, The Moon & Antarctica, Long Drive and Building Nothing Out Of Something is putting out boring poo poo that I don't feel connected to in any way now :smith:
I would rather a band go in a direction I'm not interested in than release the same album again and again and just stagnate.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Foppery posted:

The wild guitar freakouts at the end of drat near every song were one of the best parts of Lonesome Crowded West era Modest Mouse. Trucker's Atlas is probably at least 5 minutes too long, but those other songs are goddamn classics.
Long Drive, Arcade Fire's Funeral, and Talking Heads' More Songs About Buildings and Food all have the same instrumental breakdowns at the end of songs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This furthers my theory that Win Butler's terrible haircut is to disguise the fact that he is what Isaac Brock turns back into when he sobers up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That's a joke. There is no explanation for Win Butler's haircut.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Best Room is really starting to grow on me. Especially when Brock audibly says "westren.'

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Really? The more I try to give it a chance, the more I never want to hear it again :smith:
I like listening to Isaac Brock shout about things.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm annoyed that the album is like 15 tracks again, because Modest Mouse always put about 4 too many songs on their albums.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey talking poo poo about a pretty sunset.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rear end Catchcum posted:

?? They have like four really solid albums. Dunno what that meant.
Liking a band is a sacred pact. If you only used to like them, you are weak, and not true to yourself.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Earwicker posted:

most of these bands were terrible from the beginning of their careers and all of them have released a lot of really bad music and even worse, have been widely influential and caused the birth of a large number of new bands who imitate them.
Whatever, my Pokemon-themed Weezer tribute band, Koffing, are really doing some innovative things with time signatures and HM04.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

stay depressed posted:

i don't know i mean i listened to the songs in the op and i have to say it feels like a return to form. i'm excited to read another chapter in the modest mouse story. i've been waiting for this for a while so i don't get what all the slap fighting is about.
And trust this guy, he's the internet's busiest music nerd.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Thank you for the song from the Harry Potter Puppet Pals man. I am glad to have been exposed to more of his creativity.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Maybe the Portal theme song guy can do The Stars Are Projectors next.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shunkymonky posted:

As someone who came in late and only bought "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank" - Parting of the Sensory is legitimately one of my favourite songs of all time - let me just say how much I am enjoying the wierd dancey pop of Lampshades on Fire and The Ground Walks with Time in a Box and hope there is more sooooooo there.
This guy is going to dance all dance hall every day.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Seriously? Flu Trapped in a Jar?

Also I'm not fond of Little Motel, but Blame it on the Tetons is amazing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Holy poo poo it's possible to not like Mechanical Birds?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

I love the opening two minutes! It's when the guitars start to sound like they're exploding that my head aches.
What you have to do is listen to Tundra/Desert until that feeling goes away. Until you don't feel and that feels fine, you don't feel and that feels fine.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's okay to not like certain kinds of music but my 60-year-old mother has seen Modest Mouse live twice without being damaged by their dangerous and powerful guitar sounds so you are literally sadder and weaker than an actual old lady.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

disheveled posted:

They stopped playing everything weirder than Doin' the Cockroach by the time Good News came out.
This is fair. But their live shows are way noisier than the album versions.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

the great deceiver posted:

Ya Fly Trapped in a Jar is one of my favorites on that album but saying one of the best might be a stretch.

You are right about Blame it on the Tetons, that is a really good post-MaA softer MM song. I forgot about that one.

They still play some older, weirder stuff occasionally. I saw em a few years back open for REM for some reason and they busted out parts of Truckers Atlas. Completely lost like 99% of the audience but I was digging it. Left right after that cuz gently caress REM and their stupid fans that started yelling at MM to get off the stage.
I agree with you on Parting of the Sensory and Spitting Venom, but if it was up to me I would cut Fly, Education, Steam Engenius, and Little Motel, and slot King Rat into the middle of the album, and that would join the top three with Sensory and Venom.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Every Modest Mouse album except Moon and Antarctica has too many tracks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Building Nothing Out Of Something doesn't :colbert:
That's not a full album, but I would probably cut Working On Leaving The Living and just end it on Positive/Negative. I might also cut All Night Diner, but I have a soft spot for that goofy bullshit song.

Edit: Except that's not the closing track of Building Nothing Out Of Something! I would cut Other People's Lives, not Working on Leaving the Living. Or I might replace Working with Other People's Lives, I can't decide which I like more, but there shouldn't be anything after Positive/Negative.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 5, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Still, one arguably inessential track is pretty good. Building Nothing Out of Something is great. I just wish their other albums were shorter. Lonesome Crowded West is really hurt by this, since it lags a ton in the middle with Out of Gas/Long Distance Drunk/poo poo Luck. And I love poo poo Luck, I just don't think it needs to be on the disc. Get rid of those tracks and suddenly the album has this insane uninterrupted run of some of their best songs: Doing the Cockroach, Cowboy Dan, Trailer Trash, Trucker's Atlas, Polar Opposites, Bankrupt on Selling, It's All Nice on Ice.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

How are those two tracks essential? They're good songs, but when you think "Lonesome Crowded West" those do not first come to mind. They don't fit thematically with the rest of the album, there's no reason to break up Trailer Trash and Trucker's Atlas, and the album already has some straightforward short songs (Convenient Parking, Jesus Christ) so they're not needed for variety. Not every good track needs to be on an album.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That's legit, I'm mostly just weird about album lengths. Modest Mouse do a way better job justifying long albums than, say, Arcade Fire.

Also I like Long Drive better than LCW so I may just be weird.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So did this leak or release early or something?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rear end Catchcum posted:

No we are just using our imaginations
hosed up to imagine a good Modest Mouse album.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I should ask again though: where, specifically, are people listening to this?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Has anyone ever tried to compile MM's backcatalog? Because it's huge and most of their best stuff is either on their EPs or backcatalog.
I've never heard a Modest Mouse track before Float On, and that includes Horn Intro and The World At Large. I always just skip those two tracks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

And it's really hard to avoid Horn Intro since it's only like 5 seconds long, but I've managed it!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If you pick up their albums, their three long EPs (Building, Everywhere, No One) you'd only be missing a couple worthwhile songs. Off the top of my head all I can think of is Karma Payment, but I know there's more.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Karma Payment's on the Fruit That Ate Itself EP, which is just as big as the three you mentioned.
Aren't The Fruit That Ate Itself and the old Interstate 8 EP only like four tracks?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

modestmusashi posted:

Brock just needs to pull a Mark Kozelek and strip all this poo poo down and find that vulnerable core he was in touch with back when he was angsty and emotional. Styrofoam Boots, but an entire album.
Ah yes, angsty and emotional song Styrofoam Boots, preceded on the album by cheerful banjo ditty Bankrupt on Selling.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

From like every music outlet on the planet but Pitchfork in particular:

ALL MY BIRTHDAYS ARE HERE AT ONCE
You forgot this bit:

quote:

The second album will be titled "Strangerer to Ourselves," sources close to Brock confirmed. No release date has been announced.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I haven't heard Pistol yet. Is it more or less annoying than Steam Engenius?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Steam Engenius is loving dope.
This is like a rickshaw getting pulled around by another rickshaw: nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Happy Hippo posted:

How are MM live? I've seen them on Austin City Limits and have heard a bootleg and both sounded like poo poo, but I've got friends who've seen them and they say thay were fantastic. Maybe they're extremely uneven?
Both times I've seen them they're incredible, but this was at a really small theater in Spokane. Supposedly they don't sound great in really big venues. Their live shows are way louder, rough versions of their songs. They usually play a pretty diverse selection of stuff, though, which is nice.

They used to have a reputation for being really awful live. I saw them in 2009 and 2011 or 2012.

• Locked thread