Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The podcast is great so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mexcillent posted:

I'm rewatching Breaking Bad again and I'm sorry but Better Call Saul isn't even in the ballpark. I'm going to continue to check it out, but the pilot didn't have any of the interesting momentum that BB does, it doesn't use Albuquerque as effectively as BB, and generally doesn't have a strong thesis or clear direction unless you already know Breaking Bad.

Jimmy trying to negotiate the sentence down was as good as any scene in Breaking Bad. Maybe that's mostly on Odenkirk but the whole scene (including the direction, script, and Tuco) was so well done.

"One leg... each..." :smith:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Do people think that Saul was seriously suggesting that Badger be "shanked in the chow line" in the original BB "Better Call Saul" episode, or was that just a delaying tactic (in the desert) and a way to force Walt & Jesse to hand over the money in his office?

EDIT: Actually, does Saul really suggest killing anyone? He knows Walt was all about saving money for his family and thus his "send Hank to Belize" suggestion would just be rebuked, an effective way of forcing Walt to stop considering it. I don't think he actively helps anyone in killing during the events of BB, and usually ends up talking them down, like telling Walt not to hire a hitman to kill Gus.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 14, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

To be fair, that came across less as "Don't hire a hitman to kill Gus because we shouldn't kill people", and more as "Don't hire a hitman to kill Gus because if he fails to kill him, we are APOCALYPTICALLY hosed."

I rewatched this scene. Saul first says "oh, I know a few hit men, but they all know Mike so they're out. And if we just put a want-ad on Craigslist, and they're not undercover or a nutjob, they're going to get their rear end kicked by Mike and missing Gus is not going to fix anything." Just watching his performance, it's really similar to how he talks Tuco down. Like he appeals to Tuco wanting to be "tough but fair", he appeals to Walt's pride by saying any random hit man would be beneath him and fail, and Walt's fear by telling him the (possibly bullshit) story that all the reliable hit men Saul knows happen to know Mike and rat him out. He suggests Jesse but knows that there is no loving way Jesse will be able to kill Gus even if he wants to.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I think a lot of it is public perception that he's a doofus.

I wouldn't go that far. Maybe an "ambulance chaser" or defense attorney who defends anyone (which is kind of his job anyway when he's doing public defender work.) What isn't known is how connected he is to a criminal enterprise. He's not like the attorney from The Wire who always appears with a known drug lord; nobody appears to know Saul's even affiliated with Walt. I'm not even sure the series makes it clear that his affiliation even comes to light publicly before Saul runs off to Nebraska, does it?

All this works to his advantage, nobody blinks twice when he shows up defending Badger and Jesse, both of whom are connected to Heisenberg, because he's just some guy who defends anyone.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 15, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Meatwave posted:

I wouldn't be mad. Then the upcoming X-files restart can be a spinoff of Better Call Saul. Plus, the X-files have 100 different established ways that Walt could be resurrected.

Does this mean BB/BCS would be part of the Munch-verse?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Yeah it also felt similar with the "Wanna cook?" moment when Jimmy/Saul returned to the skater dweebs. I'm hoping the story structure changes soon.

Well, "wanna cook" with Jesse ended up in a productive relationship for a few seasons. Saul's attempt to use the skaters was temporary and ended up in disaster for them, and there's no way the skaters would want to work for Saul again.

Meatwave posted:

That's only half of it. There is an interesting/insane theory that Walt adopts traits of people he killed or admires, like Gale made him a coffee snob when he wasn't before, Mike made him drink whiskey differently, Gus gave Walt some stupid towel-folding ritual, and Crazy 8 made Walt cut the crust off sandwiches. Walt speaking in Mike's voice fueled that fire at exactly the right time.

Also reading poetry like Gale - who the hell puts Walt Whitman in their bathroom for reading?

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 16, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I can't imagine any other show ending with a guy taking a hike with "Find Out What's Happening" playing for four minutes and it's awesome :allears:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

hailthefish posted:

It seemed like such a no-brainer, after Jimmy's big long speech explaining the whole situation and his very incriminating part in it to the ladylawywer right in front of the boat.

I'm glad they didn't go that way with it, though. I wonder if it was an intentional fake-out or they originally planned it that way and decided not to, or if it was just "their stupid boat is a big part of how smug and horrible yet astonishingly stupid these assholes are so it comes up a lot" but was never intended as like.. Chekhov's Yacht.

I think the point of them camping is that Saul did some investigative work (noticing the tent decal) and combined with the big hike he does until night, he's working very hard.

There are some things that are off ("Here's Johnny!") but it's not like the first season of BB didn't have some rough moments.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Interstitial Abs posted:

I would agree with the few people who said the writing is a little flatter than BB, but doesn't mean I don't love it, and it's better than most TV out there. Also, it's just so much more linear compared to BB since we are basically following just Jimmy's arc VS Walt/Jesse/Hank/etc. I like that, and it feels fun to root for one guy who's moral compass still functions. I'll admit I've been tense a few times for Jimmy, even though I know he makes out of even BB alive. That's a sign of some great writing.

Once Mike exits the toll booth, I think he'll have a bigger part in the show. I also wonder if we'll see Mike have an arc as well - in Philly, he was disgraced because he took out someone abusing his wife - not great but not what I'd call a "dirty cop" either. He's clearly OK with working for drug dealers and the like by BB, so something happened.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

I think it's heavily implied that he didn't, which is why he said "no more half measures". He took a half measure by beating the guy up and threatening him, but he regrets not following through. It was an example for Walt to follow, so Mike not having killed the guy would make the most sense.

Not to say he definitely didn't, but it's most likely that he didn't.

I assumed that was why Mike was disgraced. If he was plain dirty, it's doubtful the cops in Albuquerque would have called him in, it seemed to me that they consulted Mike a lot and respected him.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So what was the end game of the Kettleman's anyway? The guy in Philly, sure he can order delivery for food and maybe get cable installed. Were the dumbass clients planning to live off a hidden stock of Mountain House #10 cans and MREs while playing cards and singing "So Long, Farewell"?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

DarklyDreaming posted:

They clearly did not have an endgame. The bookie from Mike's story planned out going into hiding and picked a location that would make for the best long-term hiding place. The Kettlemans meanwhile grabbed a tent and some canned food and hoped they would come up with a better idea before they died of exposure.

Or more likely dehydration, Saul was pushing it going on that hike without water or the ten essentials. Immersion ruined. :qq:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Zwabu posted:

I'm a bit sad that Jimmy burst into the tent before they could get into some JOHN JACOB JINGLEHEIEMER SCHMIDT

His name is my name, too. :colbert:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

FreeKillB posted:

The third podcast is up, by the way.

e: It seems to have been removed from the podcast listing, but for now the link seems to work fine.

That podcast opening :allears:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Haven't seen Fargo, so I know this isn't his first rodeo; but it'll be the craziest goddamn thing if Bah Bodenkirk emerges at the other end of this crazy train tunnel with serious dramatic chops to his name.

It's weird, I had never seen Mr. Show or Tim & Eric or anything else before seeing Odenkirk in BB, so my impression is that he's already very good. There's a reason BCS turned from sitcom to dark comedy.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

The Dennis System posted:

I'm not trolling, but I shouldn't have said what I said in such a blunt manner. I really didn't like Mike on breaking bad, and I was mildly upset that they spent so much time on him those last couple of seasons. But I don't have any good objective reasons for not liking him, it's all just a subjective matter of taste. I'm just not a fan of the tough guy who doesn't talk much, but is a good guy at heart character type.

How is Mike good at heart? He only seems to care about his granddaughter. He's taking care of his guys partly because of loyalty but you can be a bad guy and still be loyal. Otherwise he seems to be fine with getting involved in the meth industry on many levels including basically being a killer for hire. I see Mike as a kind of likeable bad guy but at least in the events of BB, his heart has grown two sizes too small or whatever.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Periodiko posted:

Also I don't think Mike is working as a parking attendant if he's still in the crime business right now, so how would he know who Nacho is?

Mike is acting as a cut-out - who is going to notice pieces of paper being passed to and from the lot attendant?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So what kind of payout is Jimmy going to get for changing his name or law office name, since it's clearly his goal to get a nice payout to build a bigger church, so to speak.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

TomViolence posted:

While keeping his mouth shut and taking the money would have been entirely realistic, would it have made good TV? In fact yeah, let's just get this out there: Slavish realism does not necessarily make for good, watchable, interesting and/or funny TV.

If he went into Saul mode and sweet talked the guy into patenting it as a sex toilet, that would have been pretty funny. Like the Tuco scene only instead of hearing breaking bones in the background, you'd hear "Oh give it to me Chandler, I need it right now!"

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Can we not do the whole "cops are evil" chat thing again?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

TomViolence posted:

Word.

I know Breaking Bad was big with borderline autistic pedants, so it kind of follows that Better Call Saul has the same kind of spergfest about tactical realism and minutiae that may or may not have any relevance to the plot further down the road.

I wasn't saying anything about people into the tactical realism thing, and don't care either, so please stop with the whole agenda thing. It's bullshit.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 9, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krinkle posted:

Just take norm mcdonald's interpretation of the ending as canon and viola.

That... actually makes a lot of sense. Of course it also means Jesse is still being tortured by Albuquerque Nazis, Lydia is still killing people because who knows maybe someday reasons, Skyler is still screwed though I think she's screwed anyway because "I'm innocent oh BTW here are the grave site coordinates of two DEA agents", and the Denny's waitress doesn't get a nice tip.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krinkle posted:

How did walt get those guys in prison murdered after mike dies? Did he issue those orders through saul? If not I don't think saul ever got anyone killed or would push that as the main idea. I liked what someone else said maybe twenty pages ago how every time he suggested someone else gets killed it was to rule that out and remind him that if you're not going to do A then you have to start thinking about B.

Even when he asked, on his knees, in the desert "why don't you just kill badger" it was only exasperatedly wondering why he's being dragged into this.

That was me. I really hope the writers are consistent and never have Jimmy/Saul seriously suggest murder. I know they've compiled a Saul reel, so that should help.

Mike is another matter, they almost have to show his arc from vigilante to killing as a solution for dealing with problems (though not nearly as bad as Walt or Lydia.)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Toplowtech posted:

Probably phone Natcho to tell him where the money is (for a cut) and keep (badly) defending the Kettlemans.

Disagree. I think he would have happily defended the Kettlemans. Also if Nacho took the money, Kettlemans can't exactly pay him.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Last Chance posted:

Saul did suggest that they should kill Badger in the food line in prison.

At the time it was clear that Jesse was very "pro-Badger" and would never have agreed that Badger should die. He just did it to make a point about how dire the situation was, that there were few choices, and the only one was Jimmy In-And-Out (which also provided Saul a nice chunk of cash.)

Same thing when he suggested that Walt send Hank "to Belize"; he knew well that Walt was all about family with his "this is my legacy :byodood:" and would never accept the death of a family member.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Beeez posted:

As for the whole DA thing, I still think Jimmy was bluffing. If you hand the money over to the DA before they can make that deal then there's no longer any reason to make said deal, the point of making a deal like that is so they can get the money back.

We don't know where the money went, it was vague, so the money may very well be at HHM. Then Kim formalizes the deal and gets them to hand over the money.

And also what, the DA is going to prosecute if he has the cash? Kim's defense will be "yo we had a deal, the money was returned, why are we here again?" and the jury who would rather be doing anything else is going to be pissed.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
^^^^ someone should ask their lawyer about this. I would but not at his rate :v:

No Wave posted:

I guess I don't really understand how he was supposed to afford what looks like $7k/month offices with no business, or how he was supposed to match Kim's salary with no business, or how loving over Kim's career forever was supposed to make her like him more, especially because she already likes him.

Keep in mind a lawyer doesn't necessarily work in a vacuum, in a firm there are other lawyers who may handle the same thing or handle other stuff if the partners are busy. So if you call Wexler & McGill, they may give you McGill for elder or criminal law or whatever, at a reduced rate, with the idea that the junior lawyer is doing most of the work but it's still being passed by the senior lawyer to make sure it's kosher. So McGill gets a huge quality bump out of this.

At least this is how it worked at a law firm I'm working with - junior lawyer drafted a letter, partner spent a few minutes looking at it and perhaps made a few suggestions. You get all the quality at a reduced cost, the junior guy is learning something but still produces a quality product and ends up with a nice Avvo rating, and I save money. Everybody wins.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Nacho is going to show up wanting that Alpine Shepherd Boy since he was cut out of the will.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Unlike Walt who was mostly a jerk, I kind of like Jimmy, his "slips" aside he really does want to do the right thing, and that look of sheer joy when his brother wants to work with him on the case is just :unsmith: Even taking the Kettlebribe was just to help drive some business.

Peter Gould don't break my drat heart :smith:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

NutritiousSnack posted:

He touted killing and extortion as the go to solution to pretty much all of Walter's problems. Saul was and is an evil rear end in a top hat, who in many ways was far worse than Walter White. Walter hesitated and tried to prevent higher acts of violence, but was willing to go much further than Saul, while Saul did heinous poo poo extremely causally but had a limit on what he was willing to do.

Saul only does it when he wants to get people to think of alternatives. "Kill Badger" when he knows the masked Jesse really just wants to get Badger out of jail, "send Hank to Belize" when he wants Walt to think of real alternatives which eventually include "just turn yourself in and face the music." Most of his advice is actually good, had Walt listened more his body count would have been a lot less.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 24, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

NutritiousSnack posted:

Most of his advice was damned good but he 100% serious and no ulterior motive when suggesting them. You don't go "Having a conscience gets expensive" when your just trying to cut through the bullshit.

People in this thread are cheering for Jimmy now, but at this point they were doing it full stop for Walt too. He's essentially in the phase were Walt was just cooking meth in an RV with Jessie, except with his experienced but insane brother. Not that he's going to look at the line like Walt did when he came to poisoning a child and go "well I won't kill him at least"

"Conscience gets expensive" takes on a whole new meaning now. It's already cost Jimmy. I suspect it will again to push him into becoming Saul.

I don't remember if people were cheering for Walt at this point. Walt was already doing illegal stuff by definition, making meth which most people agree is bad poo poo, regardless of the "doing it for my family" reasons.

Jimmy is trying to bring a case against a nursing home chain for defrauding the elderly. He clearly admires his brother and wants to be more like him, that's almost certainly why he got a law degree in the first place. Most of his legal work so far has been pretty thankless stuff (either public defender work or doing wills for people without much money.) There's a huge difference there - so far I'd say Jimmy is a good man who wants to keep doing good things, and his bad acts (using the skateboarders so he could defend the Kettlemans, using Kettlecash to do the billboard thing) has been more to break out of his status than anything else.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Harton posted:

Yeah I think Chuck is going to totally turn on Jimmy and take the case to HHM. Just like when he took the small weekly allowance from HHM when Jimmy was trying to get him bought out.

Chuck is going to destroy him after he's worked so hard to help him get better. And he'll make it seem like he's doing Jimmy a favor by kicking him off the case.

To be fair this is going to be a huge case, Jimmy is a smart guy but no way is he ready to argue a RICO case in Federal Court. I agree that HHM will try to take the case over, probably because of Kim using Chuck's code.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

PassTheRemote posted:

I could even see Hamlin figuratively twisting Kim's arm into helping betray Jimmy.

The thing is, will Hamlin get his comeuppance?

Maybe something bad happens to HHM and Jimmy changes his name to disassociate himself?

Chuck is basically a legal genius, there is no guarantee that HHM can win the case even if they are handed the evidence on a silver platter anyway without his involvement.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

That would be an amazing loving twist. If Chuck is the one who ruins the McGill name

It doesn't even have to be Chuck. It could be the Hamlin's screwing up. I have to think Gould is setting them up for a fall at some point.

The low-balling was more about hoping the lawyers would take the easy money and push for their clients to settle. $43K may well have been reasonable considering Chuck who spent days working the case probably has an insane hourly rate, but he would never accept the offer.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 24, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Beeez posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean, that he may have asked Hamlin to be the bad guy. Chuck seems like he was generally a shark, but he might chicken out if he had to turn down his own brother.

Would a law firm like that hire someone with a distance degree from American Samoa anyway? Granted Kim was UNM which is #71 on the US News rankings, not exactly Harvard Law.

Also Hamlin is not the bad guy, says Hamlin's actor on the podcast :v:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
gently caress you Chuck, I hope that bacon has extra trichinosis in it.

Looking at the scene where Kim talks to Hamlin, it's pretty clear he doesn't agree with cutting Jimmy out - "the decision has been made", "the partners have made a decision", etc. He's distancing himself from the call, never says "we made the decision" even though he's a senior partner with his name on the firm. He's mad at Kim because he may very well have fought for Jimmy and now gets yelled at because his job is to be the company thug and probably had Chuck yelling at him the night before to get rid of Jimmy.

Hamlin may be a bit of a douche but I don't think he is a bad person, it's just his job.

Also Bob Odenkirk won his Emmy tonight.

This episode should have been called Fredo.

EDIT: also I like how Kim is subtlety telling Jimmy what is going on by saying he should go leave HHM behind and start his own practice.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 31, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So Chuck didn't get his episode in "Hero" because he thought Slippin' Jimmy was back - he did it because he was ashamed of his brother.

Konstantin posted:

What I'm wondering is why they needed to take the case to HHM specifically. From what I can see there is no reason why Jimmy can't say "Well, HHM are bastards, I'll take my class action lawsuit to some other law firm that will give me a fair deal."

Chuck's already involved and part of the case (the copying) was billed to HHM, there is no way they are giving up that case. Jimmy was screwed the second he took it to Chuck.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 31, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Piriwi posted:

Chuck is an rear end in a top hat, but he's also mentally unbalanced. This is a guy who believes that any active electric device will hurt him. It makes sense that he's exactly the sort of person who seeks refuge in the safety of the law. Why would he upset that? The law is like his aluminium blanket. Jimmy becoming a lawyer isn't just threatening to his pride and identity, but also his sense of safety.

Chuck was like this before he got sick - when Jimmy first got his law degree, Chuck didn't want him working there. He probably didn't want him having a degree then with how his cries about "why didn't you tell me" (so I could sabotage it)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Digiwizzard posted:

You know, Chuck probably loves bending the rules. Finding loopholes, legal technicalities, that poo poo was probably his bread and butter. But he'll draw a line at actively breaking the law, no matter how stupid or pointless or unenforceable it is. Jimmy won't.

In fact Chuck just did, bringing up an organized crime fighting statute to nail a nursing home.

Also Chuck throwing out that $20M number was to make the other lawyers walk away so they had to go to HHM. He wouldn't ever want to work with his chimp brother.

Also Chuck yells for Jimmy to come back at the end because he forgot to buy something at the grocery store.

• Locked thread