Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Don't worry, it'll also get a spinoff a year after ending, entitled The Pryce is Right.

I'd watch at least the first season of this :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

They should call what comes after TWD "The Laughing Dead," because watching grown adults discuss that clowncar of melodrama like it was "Death of a Salesman" is hilarious.

But that doesn't rhyme.

"The Chuckling Dead"?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

That doesn't rhyme either.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Wafflecopper posted:

That doesn't rhyme either.

Well, it's closer to one. :colbert:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

mabels big day posted:

is the podcast for this episode up yet
Nope, they go up on Thursdays. But I'm anxiously awaiting it too.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Blazing Ownager posted:

Saul specifically introduces Walter to Gus, and seems to know Gus pretty well at least, to his personality and behavior.

What I'm saying is it'll be odd if they DIDN'T include Gus. It's less a cameo and more a "Curious how the hell that happened."

Saul claims not to have ever met Gus, or even to know exactly what he looks like. He could be lying, but I'm not sure why Saul would have gotten involved with Gus, since Saul's partnership with Walt seems to be his first major foray into the meth game.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
My impression is that Mike could be working for Gus now and is only using the parking job as cover. My guess is that Mike only told Saul that he knows a guy, that knows a guy that knows who the meth king pin of ABQ is.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

My impression is that Mike could be working for Gus now and is only using the parking job as cover. My guess is that Mike only told Saul that he knows a guy, that knows a guy that knows who the meth king pin of ABQ is.

I hope not, I think I'd prefer Saul and Mike to begin their descent into lawlessness together.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I love that when the son says 'Finally', the mom snaps her fingers to get him to be quiet. That, plus the fact that she was the one grabbing the money bag and the look on Mr. Kettleman's face when the cash comes out, make me think the whole embezzlement thing was her idea, rather than his.

Mom of the Year 2002

Evidently they go camping a lot:

And the kids loving hate it, which makes that scene even better.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Mike working for Gus always seemed a little weird because then what the hell is he doing slumming it as a cleaner for Saul?

It's not that weird, Mike is a professional for hire with a skill (shady poo poo) I doubt even Gus needs bodies moved every day. When the super lab is brought into operation he gets more work from Gus.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Also, pre-Superlab and pre-Walt-loving-Everything-Up, Gus was using the Cartel's network and Cartel street dealers, wasn't he? So Mike wouldn't have had much to do except the particularly exotic things, and the day-to-day of dead drops and moving the product was all handled by other people.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

hailthefish posted:

Also, pre-Superlab and pre-Walt-loving-Everything-Up, Gus was using the Cartel's network and Cartel street dealers, wasn't he? So Mike wouldn't have had much to do except the particularly exotic things, and the day-to-day of dead drops and moving the product was all handled by other people.
I always assumed that Tuco got his poo poo from Gus until Walt showed up and started making something better but I don't know if this is ever confirmed anywhere.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Plus Mike is a pragmatic dude. Might be a case of keeping an eye on Saul too, just in case. Saul was well-known for helping the same sort of scumbag who would get in trouble with the cartel.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Gus's thing didn't go in full swing until he met Walt. He was on the cartel's good side and probably had their muscle do the musclin' when it was necessary. Mike was probably just a pro for hire whose most professional customer was Gus, which is why he gravitated to full time work as Walt began loving everyone's life up.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Also remember that when Mike warns Gus about the cousins who are about to kill Walt he doesn't call Gus directly; he calls Victor who then tells Gus. He probably wasn't fully in Gus's inner circle at that point.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Gus won't work with unpredictable people like Tuco. He claims.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
But Tuco is connected to the cartel, so it may be a matter of having to work with him to keep them thinking they're in charge. Though I agree there's no guarantee he and Tuco worked together.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Beeez posted:

But Tuco is connected to the cartel, so it may be a matter of having to work with him to keep them thinking they're in charge. Though I agree there's no guarantee he and Tuco worked together.

I can only imagine Gus would intentionally keep his distance from Tuco, based on his unpredictability and more importantly, his relationship with Hector.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'm loving this series, having never watched a single episode of Breaking Bad. I've always been a big Bob Odenkirk fan.

After having skimmed through this thread, It looks like I'm going to have to binge watch all 5 seasons so the spoilers being posted don't ruin the experience.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hailthefish posted:

Didn't Gus and the cartel have like, a falling out at some point? Something about them murdering Gus's partner?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It wasn't so much a falling out as a grudge he nursed for years/decades while acting like he could let bygones be bygones (except to Hector Salamanca).

quote:

Gus's thing didn't go in full swing until he met Walt. He was on the cartel's good side and probably had their muscle do the musclin' when it was necessary. Mike was probably just a pro for hire whose most professional customer was Gus, which is why he gravitated to full time work as Walt began loving everyone's life up.

This kind of doesn't match up with what was said when he was detained by the police though:

quote:

It seems, uh, Fring had all these secret offshore accounts that he would deposit money into-- Like, uh, well, an even dozen of them-- And they're all in the names of certain people on his payroll.
There was the, uh-- The manager of the laundry, um, a couple guys from the Pollos distribution center.
There was the owner of a chemical warehouse, a bunch of others.
You know, guys that must've been getting paid off the books.
Anyway, one of the names was Kaylee Ehrmantraut.
Ten years old and just cute as a button.
Yeah.
Two million and change we found on deposit for her.
Way more than anybody else.

He's clearly supposed to have been doing a lot of stuff for Gus for a long time. It's a plot hole but whatever.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 18, 2015

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Huh. I always thought that Gus had his own distribution network (the Pollos trucks, for example) and dealers. I thought his grudge against the cartel made them basically rivals. But apparently they were all working together?

That doesn't seem to make sense with the way things played out in season four of BB though...

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Before Gus made his superlab, the cartel produced meth and Gus distributed it with his restaurant supply chain. His game was to start producing a superior product and cut his supplier (the cartel) out of the whole business.

That's why he formed that chemistry scholarship in his dead partner's name, to find a chemist who would be good enough(and loyal enough) that he could once again be the supplier and not just the distributor.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Didn't Gus and the cartel have like, a falling out at some point? Something about them murdering Gus's partner?

They killed Gus's partner as a show of force, but they leave him alive and he continues working with them. At the time that he meets Walt, Gus is nearing the final stage of a long-term plan to break his reliance on the cartel--he spent years cultivating Gale and paying his way through university, and then using his expertise to build the superlab, which is already prepared to go live when Walt appears on the scene. It's not clear how Gus plans to win a war against the cartel, because Walt's presence causes him to change it up, and the new plan is what we see him execute in the series.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ohhh okay, that makes sense

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I did always like the contrast with Gus and how he always focused on business over personal vendettas, it was a lot different from most villains that you tend to see.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
And ironically it's the one personal vendetta he has that kills him.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's kind of his own fault for relenting, isn't it? He never wanted to work with Walt in the first place, but Gale was so impressed by the product that he insisted.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean it's pretty clear based on what we learn about him that his adherence to very specific plans and treating things as 'just business' is why he is successful. But the one time he breaks his own rules, it all comes crashing down. All because of greed (which is a major theme of the entirety of BB).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

hailthefish posted:

And Walking Dead will soon be followed by "The Walking Living"

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

They should call what comes after TWD "The Laughing Dead," because watching grown adults discuss that clowncar of melodrama like it was "Death of a Salesman" is hilarious.

Idran posted:

But that doesn't rhyme.

"The Chuckling Dead"?

Whatever title it'd have it would have to be able to be modified for an hour long talk show. "The Talking Living" just doesn't work.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

This might have been brought up in the thread before, but I can't remember/ dunno if a link was posted.

In Mr. Show, they had a sketch about law school with Michael McKean (Chuck) as the law professor, and Bob Odenkirk as the TA. Coincidence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxMS59sxwxs

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

LadyPictureShow posted:

This might have been brought up in the thread before, but I can't remember/ dunno if a link was posted.

In Mr. Show, they had a sketch about law school with Michael McKean (Chuck) as the law professor, and Bob Odenkirk as the TA. Coincidence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxMS59sxwxs

Foreshadowing!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Of course, his whole disguised voice reminded me of this great sketch of his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLuZGlwStBM

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
The third podcast is up, by the way.

e: It seems to have been removed from the podcast listing, but for now the link seems to work fine.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 18, 2015

backifran
Mar 22, 2009

I love BYOB
Really enjoyed episode 3, the ending was a bit predictable I guess but other than that it was pretty solid. Only criticism for me is the acting of the blonde lawyer friend, but that's forgivable.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

FreeKillB posted:

The third podcast is up, by the way.

e: It seems to have been removed from the podcast listing, but for now the link seems to work fine.

That podcast opening :allears:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What I find interesting is that I've been keeping a loose eye on Bob Odenkirk ever since he was a rando on Space Ghost, and this entire intervening time his schtick has been that he is dreadful at improv, he can't carry a tune, and the voices and accents he tries to do are downright embarrassing to listen to. Have you seen him on Tim & Eric? He's embraced his craptacularity and made an entire career out of it.

But this show, for whatever reason, seems to be trying to take him as seriously as anyone has ever been taken. None of his goofiness is ironic or fourth-wall-breaking. They even have him doing a British accent to try to fool a caller, and you're not supposed to think "Oh yeah, it's just Bob doing his horrible Sandy Winfield voice again or something"—you're supposed to think he's good at what he's doing. Every little facial tic, every close-up of his pursed lips or twitching eyelids in a tense moment, is played as the work of a consummate Ack-Tor.

Haven't seen Fargo, so I know this isn't his first rodeo; but it'll be the craziest goddamn thing if Bah Bodenkirk emerges at the other end of this crazy train tunnel with serious dramatic chops to his name.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

You have to be good to be that bad.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah Bah Bodenkirk is a consummate pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQAFv1sI6TU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Data Graham posted:

What I find interesting is that I've been keeping a loose eye on Bob Odenkirk ever since he was a rando on Space Ghost, and this entire intervening time his schtick has been that he is dreadful at improv, he can't carry a tune, and the voices and accents he tries to do are downright embarrassing to listen to. Have you seen him on Tim & Eric? He's embraced his craptacularity and made an entire career out of it.

But this show, for whatever reason, seems to be trying to take him as seriously as anyone has ever been taken. None of his goofiness is ironic or fourth-wall-breaking. They even have him doing a British accent to try to fool a caller, and you're not supposed to think "Oh yeah, it's just Bob doing his horrible Sandy Winfield voice again or something"—you're supposed to think he's good at what he's doing. Every little facial tic, every close-up of his pursed lips or twitching eyelids in a tense moment, is played as the work of a consummate Ack-Tor.

Haven't seen Fargo, so I know this isn't his first rodeo; but it'll be the craziest goddamn thing if Bah Bodenkirk emerges at the other end of this crazy train tunnel with serious dramatic chops to his name.

Are you insane? Bob Odenkirk is an amazing dramatic and comedic actor. He was great for four years on Breaking Bad, heard his performance is good in Fargo, and rumor around the watercooler is that AMC might even do a follow up or a "prequel" to Breaking Bad with him as a starring role. We'll just have to see if it's successful or not. Only time will tell I suppose...

• Locked thread