Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Poque posted:

horrible D1 cases incoming

I want in! Poque is probably scum because he's already discrediting me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Poque posted:

my biggest scumtell is basically all of The Breach

yeah i know, i kind of picked up on it but i didn't feel like it was the strongest read i had, or that it would do me any good screaming at +1 more people as i went down d1

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Murmur Twin posted:

gently caress it, I think I can handle three games at once. I'd like in please!

honest opinion: the most i've handled at once was 6 and it was awful

i think at one point in a game i hinted i had a cop result on one player (which I did in a different game) and that messed up the entire game for me in the one where i didn't, because i was afraid that if i change my tone all of a sudden i'd be puppy cuddled

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

haha gently caress you, capps

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

in mother russia, is dead spy heaven

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Mills posted:

I was playing before every single one of you. <:mad:>

I've been scum since the universe began.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

True and Real posted:

Ernie, do you like LM's jokevote there?

neutral, nothing could be read into it!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

True and Real posted:

How about Somber's read on the new guy? What do you think of that?

i have strong opinions about voting for new people

i don't hold somber to them

and i happen to think he's hilariously wrong

but he doesn't have to be scum, he could be town generating content

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

##vote somber

seriousvote.

maybe this, but no

this mostly because it fits in a rule i don't often vocalize which is commenting on a comment is usually a safe place for scum to do their business

people are unlikely to go deeper because ~WIFOM~, and are vulnerable if they only stay on the first level

but maybe that's just due to how i play as scum

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Murmur Twin posted:

Don't you think that using the gun in a majority-rules fashion (requiring people to actively state who they want to shoot) is better than giving it to one person who either (a) doesn't know who scum is or (b) is scum themselves?

MMT is confirmed town, because this is exactly how I feel as well.

It seems like a lot of people are being hypocritical about this. If you believe that we should always lunch D1, for information, then a double lunch is double the information. Believing that people can explain away any vote is fundamentally at odds with believing you can catch scum.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I'm having trouble believing the argument that grandi is scum. What usually feels scummy to me is when someone gets really defensive and tries to point to someone else immediately as scum.

##vote Pmom

I like this post. It's very well reasoned, it doesn't shift the blame on Pmom (i.e. WELL HE DID A SCUMMY THING I HAD TO VOTE HIM), and it's still light-hearted.

Grandicap posted:

Oh, I am cool that you are being dismissive of that part. It was meant as a joke. The butt of the joke being my laziness in looking at your previous games. There is no reason for you to lie about something so trivial, that any number of people in this game could call you out about, or any number of people could look up easily.

I do not like that you are getting so worked up about it though. You are acting as if you are shutting down from a minute level of prodding. What's up?

Anyone who reads this post and still gives PMom the gun is something. It's so earnest and it strikes exactly the right balance between being reasonable and being curious that scum are usually too stressed to do.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Well I am trying to be more active today since I will be travelling tomorrow morning/afternoon and I don't want a repeat of THE BREACH.

YOU LIED, HAL

merk posted:

I will build as large and in depth as possible of a case on someone and fire the shot in the same post.

I'm uncomfortable with merk's suggestion here. He makes a provision to use his gun in the scummiest way possible, i.e. allowing himself to manufacture an opinion and kill its target in one post.

This post seems too self-reliant to actually be taking the context of the game into account.

Mills posted:

##vote LM

Agreed.

>:\

Pinterest Mom posted:

I thought you were suspish, and then your extreme mafia-dadding "oh well that's a good response for a newbie to have" that also served as an eject button from a case that wasn't getting traction made me think you're scum, so that's when I voted.

I feel like everything Pin has said in this game has an inventedness air to it. This post especially. It feels like scum who's proud that they're in control of the mood of the game with a good case, reaping the advantages of the attention that's being paid to them as much as possible.

Poque posted:

so in this case, #arming you is just #voteing grandi. that's not unreasonable. It's pretty much just a shortcut way to do what MT is suggesting.

I don't know if that's what I want to do yet.

Poque posted:

that's plenty of time to decide on two people.

Poku's posts are good. They represent the ~true ideals of mafia~ well so I think it'll be difficult to read into them one way or the other. Null tell for now.
_____

Null on Somberbrero
_____

True and Real posted:

I think Pmom is about the worst person to give a gun to, presently.

Diqnol is probably very likely town this game. His entire game is based on getting reactions, and only nudging the thread away from PMom is consistent with that. It doesn't restrict the organic reactions the thread would have, but also doesn't give us more information about a known entity at this point (Pmom).

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 25, 2015

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

True and Real posted:

I think Mills is a tougher read. You're my second choice.

Mills and Gulag are both equally as easy to read because they have the exact same scum game.

(not joking)

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

^^
Ernie. hosed around with this message at Feb 25, 2015 around 11:44

uh whoops

i had a double quote in there of diqnol's last post because my v button is sticky and pasted twice

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

merk posted:

This is the most pro-town way to use the gun. Not only do you get my decision on who to kill, you get as big of a case as possible of why I chose to kill that player. If I'm wrong, you get to pick apart my case to determine whether I'm wrong because I made up the case. You get immediate results regarding the success or failure of the case that I build.

To put it shortly, I'm making a case and then immediately making myself 100% culpable for whatever the results are of that case. How is that scummy of me?

To put it shortly, you're very conscious of how influential you are, and how difficult it is to actually lunch you, as self-quoted you know that you are among the least lunched players in our community. Yet, you insist on using your gun in a way that only harms you. If you don't see how that is a null-tell for you then you're intentionally misrepresenting yourself right now.

merk posted:

##vote Ernie
-says MMT is confirmed town based on a general mafia argument (that is wrong)
-calls me scummy based on a general mafia argument (that is wrong)

##vote merk rodeo time

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

True and Real posted:

Oh, I had decided not to respond to Ernie but I disagree. Gulag is night and day from scum to town. Mills isn't.

When they're scum they both defend their teammates relentlessly. Keep an eye out for it.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

Ernie, why do you think MMT making an argument is indicative of town alignment, whereas me making the same argument (before her, and with more insistence) doesn't even rate a mention?

It wasn't just her one post, but all of them. I disagree with almost all of her casing (I think she's talked about Grandi?) but she's done it in a way that's sincere and easy to follow. On the other hand, I disagree with almost all of your casing, but you've done it based on lines of logic that I don't think are sincere.

For example the relentless pursuit of Grandicap because he gave you a pass. Maybe later in the game that would be worth something but on a D1 I feel it's much more likely to be a personality quirk.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah.

Specifically, I'm being dismissive of the part where you say you will trust and not verify what I said about claiming VT, as if you're doing me a favour by believing me?

Isn't this the first post you made explaining your read on Grandi?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ernie. posted:

To put it shortly, you're very conscious of how influential you are, and how difficult it is to actually lunch you, as self-quoted you know that you are among the least lunched players in our community. Yet, you insist on using your gun in a way that only harms you. If you don't see how that is a null-tell for you then you're intentionally misrepresenting yourself right now.

Diqnol and PMom, I want both of your opinions on what I said here.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

No, it's the first post I made explaining my dismissive "yeah okay" post. You'll want to go up four posts in my post history to find the post where I first call grandi scum.

Sorry, I made a bad assumption.

That said, I think misrepresentations of order of posts are more common with town rather than scum. Scum already have a ~natural order of things~ in their head, and they weave their way around townies pitting one against another based on earlier interactions.

Town on the other hand is dealing with an unreasonable amount of disorganized information. It's more likely that they're the ones who make a problematic case like this.

And when you take into account that grandi was unfamiliar with your vt claiming meta, maybe you should see that he's more likely town?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think you're but that it's less interesting than merk voting to arm me earlier based on a ridiculous (obviously manufactured?) justification, actually.

It's also at odds with how he later decided that it's best if he gets it because he's ~informative~. Like he's using different, contradictory arguments to suit his needs. He also believes that we don't have enough time for true majority style voting on the vig, but we have enough time to run up multiple candidates to handle the gun in the same kind of majority voting.

True and Real posted:

You see, I find specific foci to be more useful for content generation than trying to divine information from a breadth of votes. It's way better for d1, I think. Like, not even close.

This makes sense, but only if you've legitimately 'caught' something. I think this has been a pretty tame D1 with no easy catches.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Hal Incandenza posted:

I think that last statement is a big stretch Ernie

It isn't!

From grandi's perspective he thought he saw pmom jump on an easy joke-vote as content + unnecessarily claim to downplay himself.

Is it really hard to take both of these facts and see why pmom seemingly became a much more likely scum candidate in grandi's eyes?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think it's very hard to read the exchange between Somber and AN and my part in it honestly, and have the takeaway be the three posts Grandi quoted.

I'm fully aware that I can be wrong, but given the way Grandi played in the prequel game to this one, I don't think so! Grandi seems less to be playing as efficiently as possible, and more to be playing in a way that he thinks helps town as much as possible.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Anti-Gun thoughts!

Mills is the biggest weapon of them all. He's the heart in all of us.

Let's gently caress over democracy in a game that's based on it!~

Ernie's legs aren't doing anymore jumping than they usually do so they're perfectly ready to jump some more!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

##arm MMT

Mills, opinion on merk, go.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Mills posted:

I was surprised he would arm me, regardless of alignment, because I don't think he respects my ability. That would make me think of a scum player looking take advantage of a mis-shot but tbh scum merk would fear me shooting him out of a "bigger dick" mentality. Town.

It almost feels like he's being a caricature of himself. Like he simple thought 'Oh, Mills offering to kill himself, sounds like a thing I'd volunteer for' without actually thinking it through as much as you think.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Mills posted:

Ernie, how do you feel about Anon?

Null that post could have all names associated with it replaced and still say the same thing. It doesn't push either town or scums agenda.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

And again merk point blank ignores what I'm saying phrasing it as a general mafia discussion.

I am saying merk, the person, the player, the champion, personally is scummy because given how difficult it is to cuddle him he wouldn't be at all fearful of talking yourself out of the repercussions of a misvig.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Phone posting is the worst. I mean himself

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Does anyone understand my point or should I drop it?

For someone who is confident in their unlunchability like merk is to say that they will both case and vig someone in the same post its scummy because it allows them to downplay the shock of their actions before they even get their gun. The only reason merk would make that his platform is if he knew what he was going to do might be controversial. Like if I were to ask for the gun the last thing on my mind would be to make sure that the town understands that it might be rushed from casing to vigging in a single post.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

title of your sex tape

brooklyn mother loving nine nine

:hfive:

if anyone messes with narc over here, they're messing with me

Hal Incandenza posted:

Also, I totally understand what you are saying Ernie.

thank you

i suspect mills gets it too but he's not engaging me on it, so *shrugh*

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Mills posted:

The problem with guns is that they usually stifle conversation as everyone waits for something to happen. I'd like to see opinions on why the following players are town or scum: LM, Hal, Hurt, Poque.

I will be shooting someone based on these posts, and it may well be someone who fails to respond.

Little Mac: Uhh Null Tell? He hasn't said anything of worth to the game but to Little Mac that's not indicative of alignment!

Hal: He's interacting with the game and cases exactly how I expect town Hal to. If you shoot Hal I swear I'll petition the mod to give me a gun and I'll shoot you back.

Hurt: I don't like how Hurt tried to flip something I do in a lot of games (i.e. saying someone's town because their opinions aligned with mine) as scummy. And he then suspected MMT as well. It seems like he's going for the shotgun method for scumhunting instead of thinking things through.

Poku: Poku hasn't done the thing that he does when he's scum. If you're wondering what the thing is it's confidence. Town Poku is incredibly hesitant until it comes time to make a decision. And here he's barely voted.

merk posted:

Well Hal, I read your entire post history and have no idea what you think about anything. The one post you have that gets even close to content looks completely made up and doesn't even follow the actual happenings of the thread, so I'm going to put you in my scum bucket. You and Ernie can have a party.

Any bucket that's good enough for Hal is good enough for me!

weekly font posted:

I'm a little sad almost the entire thread has been arguing about gun mechanics. I'm a bit unfamiliar with the idea of gifting someone a vig and, in all honesty, I think the best policy is what Little Mac said, not shooting at all. But apparently Mills is an ace? We'll see I suppose.

Murmur Twin came off the worst during the entire exchange, merk came off the most, what's the word, "misguided?" I don't like what amounts to a double lynch at all. There's almost never going to be informed D1 lynches and then there certainly won't be time to make a second D1 lynch based on that flip's information. You also get to pull the trigger and then shirk all responsibility. Scum gets to point the fingers in both directions like a Bugs Bunny cartoon. It's playing the roulette wheel if you're town and a great way to ensure in-fighting you're mafia.

Something about Merk is causing me to waiver. His case-shoot-go from there idea is very metagamey as it's predicated on his "new posting fashion" or whatever. It does nothing for me but make me think there is a clear ulterior motive. The thing is, I can't decide if it's a scum play or just self-centered experimentation.

In conclusion, I hate everything that happened and lynch Murmur Twin. ##vote Murmur Twin

I don't know if this post is a joke but it's setting off every alarm bell in my head. It's awkward, it's scared of not commenting about everything and it doesn't even attempt to scumhunt. Weekly Font starts excusing the cuddle before it even goes down by saying 'there's not going to be an informed decision' when we have a vig that can do it.

weekly font posted:

Re: Poque. It's mainly gut, he's done very little. However, I like these two posts because they are almost exactly what I was thinking as I was reading through the thread.

The lack of alignment calls makes him less townie than Grandicap (and it was probably poor of me to list them as strictly town in the same breath, they're NOT on the same tier) but I don't care at this point of the game.

This is better and now I'm confused.

merk posted:

A Town player should not care what other players think about their alignment.

I will always care what you think, regardless of my or your alignment, merk, because a good player always tells the truth but makes it work for them. :sun:

True and Real posted:

merk, I'm going to tell you this now: I will not vote for Ernie today. I am sick and tired of lynching him on d1 all the time. I don't dislike your case.

I'm glad someone has noticed. Unlike EXAKT or DuckHuntDog et al. I don't make a fuss about it, but it does get tedious getting emotionally invested in a game and then just being shoved out because of rigid expectations about playstyle. Thanks, Diq. :shobon:

True and Real posted:

I find it very curious, very curious indeed, that Mills doesn't want to shoot Somber. He's still mad at Somber in theory, right? Shouldn't Mills want to just knock him out? Hmmmmmmmmm

Mills probably expects that Somber is his pet case. He has no interest in using the vig the way he wants, but the way he thinks benefits town the most.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

there all caught up with 129 posts D:

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

weekly font posted:

That's really misrepresenting what I said. It's attempting to use and championing the use of a mechanic in a way that is anti town.

So if you think that someone is scummy based on an anti-town way of using a mechanic, what do you think of what i've said of merk?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

True and Real posted:

I think Font would be a good choice too

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

True and Real posted:

Oh yeah, Ernie. Don't self hammer ever again please. I meant to wag my finger at you after The Breach but I forgot. I remember going into the thread thinking "ya maybe I won't vote for Ernie" and then you were dead and I was sad

it just felt like if i didn't it would actually be detrimental to town

grandi and poque had their votes parked on me for a v long time

but okay

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

but you had to know you were town because your pm didn't list teammates, right?

this is all academic because i'm not voting you over something that any scum can solve in 5 minutes by being quiet long enough that a townie flips but yeaah

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Dr. Hurt posted:

True. But that is because this game is flying by and I am trying to buckle myself down.

oh hurt what has the world done to you

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Poque posted:

i have no idea what i'm doing in this game.

give me your vote

i'll take mills's vote too

then i will make a single case for the rest of the day and use all our votes on it

what? that's scummy? well, then!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

True and Real posted:

Might you just make the case anyway? I don't care much who it's on, make it on me, whatever. Labor to make the game more fun to play. Labor to make scum have to respond to something awkwardly. Sitting around and making jokes isn't going to solve this game, butthole -_-

okay in my next post will be a case

Mills posted:

Everything seemed so much simpler when we were scumbros.

Poque posted:

That was way harder.

ah trouble in paradise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

okay ##vote AnonymousNarcotics

Somberbrero posted:

I actually really don't like the tone of that Narcotics Anonymous post :x

Somber's picking the tone of this post:

I'm totally missing all the inside jokes here. INCLUDE ME I'm so lonely

Which seems like a tame un-mafia related post, and if Narc were scum it would be blatantly broadcasting that whoever they were interacting with were town.

Somberbrero posted:

Hi give me the kill please.

Somberbrero posted:

actually is that even possible now?

I don't think that giving merk or Mills a kill is hugely helpful Trill. If they're town then they'll probably hit town anyway and I dunno if that would exactly be helpful to case-making.

Somber's behavior here is non-sensical. Everyone knows that they are not very likely to hit scum, and everyone thinks they have a good case. Saying that both merk and mills are going to hit town also ignores a lot of the context in who they're suggesting is scum, and implicitly assumes that both merk and mills are town, which are both difficult d1 reads to be so sure of!

Somberbrero posted:

I know Narcotics is new and there are a lot of people who won't vote her today, but can we please dunk her tomorrow?

This just seems like circular, self-conscious posting because Narc was Somber's first target and he's removed himself a lot from that earlier suspicion. If Somber were earnest in his casing I'd expect something along the lines of 'Give me the gun and I will shoot Narc' in his bid for it.

Somberbrero posted:

I also hadn't really done poo poo. I feel bad I've been less active this game. I don't really see anything alignment indicative in Mills list other than it's very broad and I'll expect he'll ignore it anyway.

This is contrast to the opinion Somber had before (RE: Why we shouldn't give Mills the gun).

• Locked thread