Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

F-16 has a range of 3200+ km dude.

Just to expand briefly, the quoted ferry range of an aircraft is a one way trip at the most economical climb and cruise speed. "Combat radius" will often times be reported, this number will be how far from an air base the aircraft can travel to, drop weapons and return. It will be less than half the ferry range because fuel economy isn't considered. An even shorter number is the sometimes reported "high-low-high" range. This would be a mission profile where they cruise at high altitude to get close to the target then fly very low and fast to avoid radar, and return at a high altitude cruise. This range is going to be much shorter than the normal combat radius. Never mind that to avoid radar the Israeli planes would have to conduct the entire mission at nap of the earth which eats a ridiculous amount of fuel.

Basically unless the U.S. is going to give Israel a B-2 or B-1 it can't happen. I guess Israel could use a conventional IRBM if they had one but no way Pakistan wouldn't go launch a nuclear one in response when they detected one coming their way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chantilly Say posted:

Israel's got hella SLCMs (say it: slick-ems!) that could hit without setting off the Bad poo poo Happening alarms but they won't get down far enough to hit the buried facilities.

Well the conventional ones wouldn't...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Warcabbit posted:

Israel has no airborne refueling capability? I'm surprised.
No, we sold 'em some KC-135s, I believe.

Airborne refueling is problematic to say the least over hostile territory.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Radbot posted:

Except for that whole thing where you can refuse a glass of water lawfully, whereas you may not be able to lawfully refuse sitting down in a chair and talking to police.

Uh except if you cannot lawfully refuse to sit down then you've been arrested and they can take that sample anyways.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

If he does this I hope Obama expels him and the Israeli ambassador from the country, or the next time a vote to condemn Israel comes up in the UN Obama has the US delegate just happen to not be there to veto it.

I'm still not sure why Obama didn't just say "gently caress it, you aren't speaking to the UN so you don't have to be let in. Visa denied now gently caress off back to Nazi Israel." Though letting him come in and only hurt himself and the GOP is fine as well I guess.

Severing diplomatic relations with Israel is not an appropriate response to this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

The hell? Is she taking Netanyahu's side over Obama's?

Netanyahu's side appears to be "Bomb, bomb, bomb, Iran" so no.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah, that is surprisingly awkwardly phrased for a statement from a politician.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rygar201 posted:

Giving laptops full of classified data to Glenn Greenwald isn't whistle blowing though

But giving laptops full of classified data to your mistress is only worth probation and a fine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If Snowden isn't an idiot that honestly thought Russia was freer than the US this is just trying to get some more attention for whatever reason.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

It was worse than laptops, really. Petraeus provided his mistress with access to his handwritten notes that he took while in high-level meetings with the president and other senior officials. They contained things like DoD code words, the identities of secret agents, real crown jewels sorts of stuff.

And yet the Obama admin has gotten people that leaked far, far less in prison for decades.

Talmonis posted:

Do you really think they're going to send him to a Supermax? It'd make more sense for him to be sent to a minimum security Federal prison.

National security related = ADX Florence.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

If I were Snowden I wouldn't have thrown my life away for literally nothing, so there's that. He's an idiot, and if was him right now I would just flee to a banana republican and enjoy the rest of my days on a beach before the CIA inevitably takes me and hooks a car battery up to my sack.

Snowden should be fine where he is unless he does something incredibly stupid. Putin needs to keep him safe-ish in relative quiet so that any spies or potential defectors they have in the US know that Russia will take care of them (even if Russia won't).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

No, it really didn't. Being known by the public for about 18 months to 2 years is pretty par for the course.

It's not his fault really, no matter how much you have it can only keep you going for so long.

Last I checked, most people don't even remember what manning leaked these days other than "something about Iraq".

tbf most people probably don't know what the Pentagon Papers were about at all.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, who cares that she revealed atrocities committed by the US government?

To a first approximation? Nobody.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Talmonis posted:

And that's what we should be decrying more than anything. Instead of calling for Manning's pardon, I want Petraeus and North behind bars where they belong. That's obviously never going to happen, but it's what we as a country should be demanding. Justice would be all of them in prison.

Oliver North shouldn't be behind prison because the prosecution used testimony that he was offered immunity for. Or something like that, his conviction was overturned for it. The Pentagon Papers also had a prosecution related fuckup.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

He did a interview with Putin himself on Russian TV. The overall theme was that "Pshh, we don't do any of that pesky civil rights abusing stuff in Russia!"

There was probably a boarding pass to the US with Snowden's name on it taped to the camera.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Yes, different legal definitions, punishments, and discretion, totally pedantic and not relevant in the slightest to discussing why one party walked free and the other got courts martial. :rolleyes: That stuff mattered just as the rank and connections mattered. So did the timing of when Petraeus' story broke and the dissemination of what he released vs the timing of WikiLeaks and the international grandstanding it involved. Y'all want a nice neat story rather than dealing with the reality that is much murkier and more complicated.

The relationship started while he was a general so...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Amergin posted:

Both parties already do it, anyway.

Which is why California doesn't have an independent comission to be more fair.

Oh wait.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RuanGacho posted:

All districts drawn by robots, come forth robot masters, save us from the people with souls!

Robots aren't a legislature, sorry no go.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Am I the only one seriously worried that emailgate will derail the Clinton campaign?

This doesn't even register on the scale of Clinton scandals. I'd worry more about troopergate.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

Possibly dumb question: If Hillary didn't have a government email address at all, and claims to have only passed nonclassified information through her private email, what did she use when she did have to handle classified info?

SIPRnet

The existence of siprnet means that only the most mundane of emails would go through her personal account.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

You mean the network Clinton had DoS shut down their use of: http://swampland.time.com/2010/11/29/state-pulls-the-plug-on-siprnet/

DoD's secret network is SIPRnet and was connected to state's secret network, apparently called "Net-centric diplomacy" or NCD. They severed the link between the two after Manning leaked a bunch of stuff from NCD. So the answer is more accurately NCD not SIPRnet.

This is all in the linked article.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

One step closer to the crippled rising up against the able bodied. Thanks a lot, DARPA. :rolleyes:

The F-35 is bad but thats just harsh.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Killer robot posted:

Sounds good to me. I imagine immortality tech ought to include legal suicide methods, but I doubt they'll be popular no matter what "tortured immortal" morality fables for young audiences have to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jtpf8N5IDE

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Imagine the Kochs living forever :stonklol:

Just find the horcruxes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but not only did Clinton use only her personal email during her time as Secretary of State, but she ran her own email server out of her own house.

If any goon thought this was going away any time soon.....well, you're dumb. Also get ready for more BENGHAZI since this gives republicans more meat to claim Hillary was holding out on information...which really, is her own drat fault now.

I'm really concerned about this Vince Foster thing, it seems to be getting traction.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Legally, what can be done to the Ferguson P.D. if anything.

It likely won't exist soon. If they comply with the justice department the city can't afford the department, if they continue the judgement against the city will bankrupt it.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I'm kind of out of the loop—was the investigation summed up in the report done following the Michael Brown case or are they independent of each other? Like, would this poo poo never (or much later) have been uncovered were it not for the Brown killing? If so, Jesus, how many other police departments is this stuff SOP at?

The report alludes to neighboring municipalities doing the same things so...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

...because their conviction was overturned due to misconduct by the USA?

I mean unless you think the prosecutor intentionally sabotaged his career by throwing this case?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Conservatives rightly noted how close the vote was on this veto-override. They'll win on the EPA, it's bad for business, hurting it is good for business.

The Iran-Deal is hosed up of them though, they'll lose on that.

The EPA thing is too extreme, pharmaceutical companies should be freaking out about republicans loving with patient privacy in federal research.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ReindeerF posted:

Hillary surrendered so quick, I bet it's like a double-reverse-secret sock puppet account full of things that make her look good to the general voting public, heh. Just email after email praising Israel, complaining about China and Russia, admitting her love of bacon and so on.

Anything else would be classified or personal so...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I guess I'm embarrassed to admit I thought most of this poo poo happened in big cities.

Big cities have real crime to deal with which puts a bit of a damper on things. The Ferguson PD existed solely for revenue collection, I bet any serious crime would be passed up to the county.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hahahaha what the gently caress.

You gotta make with what you have when you don't have lions.

So wheres that list of 79 so we can see if there are in fact wolves in their district?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gah no states listed. First guy represents Tucson, AZ though and they're trying to reintroduce wolves in that part of AZ so...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

d'awwww

Why are baby wild animals so cute

Like seriously what evolutionary advantage is it to us to find, say, a bear cub adorable and cuddly

Well, wolves are so cute and cuddly we started adopting them 8k years ago and now have puppies.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

All baby animals have the same general characteristics and distortions from their adult form. You find one baby mammal cute, you find them all cute.

In all fairness that guy isn't saying the homeless should be fed to wolves, he's saying that wolves should be removed from the endangered species list so that there are more legal measures that can be taken against them and used a graphic example of what they'll do of their own free will when not managed properly. He just could have worded it a hell of a lot better.

Obviously the endangered species act allows stuff like that to happen. The Florida Panther is critically endangered but mountain lions in other parts of the country do have population control programs in effect. (Nature's population control is for them to starve to death due to a lack of food and starving lions will happily eat humans)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

It's more about generating constant small scandals to change perceptions than it is about finding the smoking gun that takes her out of the race. No one is going to change their vote because of this email thing but 2 years worth of email-like-things may cause a conservative voter who would have stayed home otherwise to vote, or a democrat who would have voted to stay home.

This would be a great strategy if only it hadn't been tried for literally a decade. A decade in the middle of which her husband was reelected in a landslide.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Reminder: there are more jobs in the US solar industry than there are in the U.S. coal industry. Have been for a few years now

This has more to do with natural gas being cleaner and cheaper than coal.

Coal is dead, tobacco is dead. That leaves Kentucky with horses and bourbon which will not support a state of 4million.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

more craft bourbon distillers though.

Thats Indiana

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Wookums posted:

Rye isn't bourbon

All alcohol has the same thing going on.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

What do you mean by this? Seems it'd be awfully dumb for a foreign government to get involved with someone that might not be elected into office.

So long as the negative of delaying the talks isn't outweighed by the potential better deal it makes sense to wait. You can probably get the same deal after the election anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

In the case of Iran I can't imagine they'd get a much better deal talking to a Republican candidate.

Only Nixon could go to China

• Locked thread