Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

awesome bit there with magnussen discussing the honda's apparently strange power delivery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Brainwrong posted:

Also, Sauber is Swiss which is like a French version of the Germans.

i feel like my eyes are open for the first time in my life

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

is he not able to apply for a super license before the second round?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Riso posted:

It's still a big fat no. Sauber has to do it.

sauber already did it, but it was too late. they WILL do it if the courts force them to. all i'm asking is if you can apply for a super license within the season, and i assume that you can.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Alonso is seeing the Ferrari being the closest competitor to the Merc and weeping some more.

tbf i think his relationship with ferrari has been toxic for years and he left for many more reasons than simply thinking he had a better shot at the title with mclaren. and mercedes is going to win anyway so it's irrelevant

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i just hope one of the two parties has a grand scheme that will unveiled. i don't care who wins i just want it to be shocking.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

did anyone else catch magnussen talking to his engineer about the engine having poor power delivery? it sounded like the whole car was shuddering while he was accelerating. that was FP1 though so imagine he was describing a symptom of the problem they found. in testing everyone kept saying the honda was very driveable when it wasn't broken.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

The consensus is that when working the engine is a decent engine and doesn't suffer from lumpy power delivery like Renault and Ferrari last year. The main problem is they're unlikely to have it working anytime soon.

that's what i've heard as well so i figured it was an issue and not the normal behavior of the engine. the NBC stream of FP1 had no commentary so you could really clearly hear the way magnussen was explaining the problem. it was awesome.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i own a honda

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sulman posted:

Given his motivation Sauber almost certainly took a load of money then told him to gently caress off. I think they tried this with Silvestro, but her management were sharper.

Edit: Can't see Kaltenborn lasting the month. Her tenure has not been good.

no, i think simona didn't have the funding of these other drivers.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sulman posted:

As I understand it, she pushed Sauber for the test days in exchange for the sponsorship $ from Nuclear Clean Air Energy, which they agreed to. They also (her Sponsors, that is) wanted a race deal, and that was the sticking point. Kaltenborn's words were typical F1:

I think the last line is the clue. It was money.

It may be true to say they didn't have enough for what Sauber wanted, but this all happened in the context of Sauber's driver disputes, and I don't think it's a reach to suggest what Di Silvestro's team wanted were more concrete guarantees of 2015 plans.

i just find it really, really hard to believe that simona can match the funding levels of bianchi/ferrari, nasr/banco do brasil, ericsson/shady backers, and van der garde/billionaire family. i love simona but they are all far more proven drivers with, at least in theory, much more money behind them.

ALSO, here's some comedy we've all forgotten about : in 2007 van der garde signed a contract to be super aguri's test driver, then reneged on it and signed with spyker. so he's not, in fact, a beautifully innocent angel

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Aqualung posted:

Spyker also screwed him over, and he sued them and won.

:laffo:

how so?

El Hefe posted:

I'm pretty sure VDG didn't take any money from Super Aguri or else they'd have sued him too.

the two teams settled out of court

wicka fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 13, 2015

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CratSock posted:

Apparently so are their owners.

i don't know that anyone has ever called me arrogant. i'm pretty bad.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I've decided to do a spec miata in the livery of a failed f1 team. What would be the funniest? And preferably something recognisable to a spectator

duh doy

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the worst team in formula 1 history sure did have a solid title sponsor

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Said title sponsor wasn't actually paying them any money.

they planned to pay them but cancelled it once it was clear the team was irredeemably garbage

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ladies > cripples

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Jedit posted:

He's dropped his claim to race in Australia so Sauber can compete, but is continuing to negotiate. An interesting strategy; not only does he have the law on his side, he's going to get a lot of sympathy points for not being a destructive dick even though he would be totally in the right to do so.

adam cooper tweeted that van der garde et al never wanted to prevent ericsson/nasr from racing

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"exxonmobil expands 2015 relationship with mclaren to showcase esso, exxon and mobil brands" https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/576544850847375360

i guarantee you this is what ron meant when he said the livery would change. adding one decal technically is changing. god i loving love him

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

for fucks sake

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Did they throw up a graphic of the speed traps yet? I want to see how poo poo that mclaren really is.

I saw it on Twitter earlier, don't remember the numbers but whatever you're imagining is accurate

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WE DID IT GUYS WE FINISHED THE RACE

sky speculating Honda is running at 40% power which is an awful nice thing to say

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

joe saward is a giant crybaby child, duh, welcome to 2012

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Not making any excuses for that idiot, but F1 journalists are in general crap. It's only really Dieter Rencken who dares to write articles that are critical of the way F1 is run and I can only assume that because he doesn't go to the races and thus doesn't need any credentials?.

follow them on twitter, noble and elizade are particularly good follows

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

Not every hat with a brim is a fedora. It's still a stupid hat, but it's not a fedora.

number of fucks people give about sperglord hat definitions = 2015 mclaren points

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

remember when hamilton called red bull "just a drinks company" and everyone criticized him? then they only win three races in a season and start threatening to quit. our lewis, right yet again

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i've never hated any F1 team more than i hate red bull right now. what a bunch of children. dominate the sport for four years and start whining literally the instant they're not top dogs. it is the best interest of the sport for them to gently caress off and die.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

i really wish it could be Briatore.

he would be perfectly bernie-esque in terms of competence and horribleness

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

red bull are not going to leave and just close the doors at milton keynes. at worst they will be replaced by another marketing department that doesn't care about F1. at best they might get bought by someone who loves racing and isn't going to take their ball and go home as soon as they get beaten. gently caress red bull

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

To be fair to Williams and McLaren they never tried to pull that poo poo when they weren't winning anymore.

because they can't, they are barely more than F1 teams. mclaren is changing that, of course, but historically both did nothing but race. pulling out of F1 meant not existing. that's exactly why they are far more valuable to the sport than red bull ever will be. gently caress red bull. even sauber are more respectable than red bull.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Strong Mouse posted:

It's still probably faster than Mclaren's cars.

with button driving, yeah

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

How many corners on ANY new-ish circuit do you remember?

i "get" what he's saying but turn 8 at istanbul park is better than all but a handful of corners

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FOM's fees are ludicrous but there sure are a lot of races that never seem to have any problems making money

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

We need another GP already.

it's been one week

(please don't)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

It's Bernie's fault that he charges tracks so much to hold a race that the new Nurburgring owners pulled out and Hockenheim couldn't afford to do two years in a row

your point is obviously correct but aren't there several tracks that seem to be able to host a race two years in a row without fear of imminent bankruptcy?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Manny posted:

Oh Jenson :sigh:

that's actually...really odd. they've updated their ad with this year's fire suit but there's no santander branding anywhere on the suit or on the car. the mclaren-santander situation is bizarre.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gret posted:

They're still listed as a partner on the McLaren website...

yeah, i know, and yet they have no branding anywhere

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm genuinely curious what Red Bull's options are if Renault say gently caress you once the contract is up. Is any other manufacturer going to seriously consider offering Red Bull engines after they've just bitch and complained at Renault who were giving them free engines?

they would have no trouble getting an engine but none of the current suppliers are going to give them works status and anyone new is likely to run into the same issues as honda. red bull clearly has no patience so i find it exceedingly hard to believe they'd sacrifice a couple years of poor results in order to get back on top. it's all posturing. i hope they quit.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

Yet as insufferable as Red Bull is acting, the Renault engine does suck. Heck, even in 2013 it was always catching fire if the driver wasn't out in front in clean air.

sometimes this happens in F1. of all the current title-winning teams, red bull is the only one who is new to being poo poo after being good, and they're responding by acting like little babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm not doubting that. What I'm saying is that if you're the head of Audi's motorsports program and there is the potential to enter F1, you might think twice about inking a deal with Red Bull considering how eager they are to throw their engine supplier under the bus.

right. and you're going to look at the struggles of honda, a team with very recent F1 engine experience, and wonder why you'd face that challenge with chris horner ready to stab you in the back on a moment's notice.

i think red bull really wanted to buy out renault's engine plant and run it themselves, and i think they thought it was so close to happening last year because they gained so much influence within the renault organization. but things changed at renault, for whatever reason, and they've done a complete 180 to now wanting to own their own team again. so there are several levels of sour grapes coming from red bull.

• Locked thread