Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Never really got into Palladium, just heard it has no real luster and looked kind of like lead. But hey, can't bash anyone for branching out of gold & silver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

meat police posted:

I love Silver Eagles, but I'd really like to grab some silver Hungary Koronas while silver is at 17. Anyone have an idea of what the avg prices would normally be for them?

Welp, I bought a few 1 Korona coins, found a few OK deals on eBay of all places. Like to get some 2 and 5's as well but I'll just have to be patient.

Sorry for the rushed photo but I've got someone re-doing my wood flooring so I'm gonna gtfo before this varnish high turns into a headache. Also Silver sub-17 and Gold below 1300 again? I might have to hit up the coin store today.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Pending gold stays below 1.3k and silver hopefully dips below 17 I should make a fun trip on Friday. Any interesting world pieces I should keep an eye out for? I’ve got my eyes largely set on Sovereigns and francs but I welcome any ideas.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Ended up settling for 2 Swiss 20 Francs, 2 Sovereigns, and finally got my feet wet with some pre-33 US. Was a fun run, I think I'll start keeping my eyes out for pre-33 over anything else.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Super Waffle posted:

Beautiful stuff! How much did all those cost you?

It ran a little north of 2.3k, but I put 120toz of generic silver towards it so I only owed a few hundred. Had ~ $100 loss on the trade-in since I was too lazy to private sell the silver, but that slabbed $5 Indian was calling my name. I'm still not ballsy enough to go whole-hog on graded Saint Gaudens/Gold Eagles though, the thought of putting 1.5k+ into just one coin would make me uneasy if I had to try and resell years down the road. Fractional gold and silver coins/rounds/bars up to 10toz seem to resell in no time, so I'll probably stick to that.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

So I, uh, lied about never getting a Saint-Gaudens double eagle. There was a coin show, and one thing led to another and I got everything at a good price. Getting an NGC membership for Christmas, so I can't wait to ship off a fair amount of things to be graded.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Super Waffle posted:

Silvers going down real low, might have to buy myself a few ounces :getin:

Sub-16, its an early Christmas present from COMEX. I bought one of those 10oz RMC silver cast bars because they look really cool imho.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Snowy posted:

Where’s the best place to get silver and take advantage of the low price?

Like these in particular, is there somewhere better than kitco or sd bullion?

I bought mine through JM Bullion, but if it’s a specific bar/brand I’ll window shop through sd bullion, kitco, provident metals, JM, or APMEX. If you’re just looking for the flat out cheapest bullion by any means from a vendor there’s Compare silver prices and it’s gold counterpart Compare gold prices. Otherwise r/PMsforsale and other FB buy/sell groups for private sales.

Edit: also JM Bullion & Silver Gold Bull have a one per household new customer special where you can buy 10oz of rounds/bar for spot price which is a pretty sweet deal.

meat police fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 8, 2017

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Anyone get something cool in the dip? Got my cast bar in and I'm kind of regretting not getting more. :(

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

meat police posted:

Anyone get something cool in the dip? Got my cast bar in and I'm kind of regretting not getting more. :(

Please clap

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

DominusDeus posted:

Scotland 10 Pounds. The "ZZ" in the serial number means this is a replacement note, like our star notes in the US.

Now I want some cool Otter dollars I never knew existed.

New Year, new double eagle. Gold pricing is a bit ridiculous atm so I'm trying to wait it out til it gets below 1.3k :(

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

:eyepop: I would definitely ship those out to be graded. Especially that Indian punch-marked coin, that is too cool.

Speaking of punch marks I’ve been looking at adding a Mexican 8 Reales to the collection. A few I’ve seen over time has Chinese punch-marks during their use in trade. Does anyone know of any good resources to read regarding the 8 Reales and also the trade punches?

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

DominusDeus posted:

Or just watch Cody'sLab in general.

As long as YouTube doesn’t take his channel down again. I think they’ve done it 2? or 3 times now. Lame.

Bought a graded 8 Reales that was recovered from the El Cazador shipwreck that happened in 1784. I’ll have to take a picture when I eventually find my way home. Cool piece and they can be found inexpensively if you have patience.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Podothehobbit posted:

I can't say i've ever watched Cody's Lab but that was a great video and i'll have to watch more!

Also my Ukranian Archangel and South African Krugerrand came in. Those designs are pretty neat!

I don’t know what it is, but I just love the Krugerrand design. I haven’t checked prices lately but I remember the silver ones carrying a decent premium.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I love Monarch's work. My local coin store had a kilo bar he was willing to let go for "only" 608 when new bars go less for that, and it was an awful looking bar at that. drat shame, I'll own one one of these days.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Picked up 5 random common date cull Peace dollars.

Then I picked up 15 random Morgan dollars to fill out a roll I had.

And this cool card I carry around in my wallet:

I got kind of pissed about my LCS trying to take me for a ride so I put out a call for sanely priced St. Gaudens. Going to see how that pans out.

Edit: the dollar is really waking up

Might be time to get in while the getting's good.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Traded some 1/10 eagles in and got two more graded double eagles, then bought another sovereign when gold was at 1240. I’ve promised myself that if silver hits below 15 I’ll buy myself a kilo bar just for funsies.

The 2018 silver krugerrand dropped recently and I just couldn’t really care about them anymore. I got that graded one from last year during release and the BU ones still are carrying too much of a premium.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

meat police posted:

I’ve promised myself that if silver hits below 15 I’ll buy myself a kilo bar just for funsies.

Welp, poo poo. $14.90/oz already.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Saw my buddy's graded 1874 Trade Dollar and I think I'm in love, my favorite design so far outside of Mercury dimes and Standing Liberty quarters.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Gun safes are choice. Large unwieldy beasts that allow you too buy too many guns on top of coins—although I keep mine in a safe deposit box at the local bank. In a pinch though a regular full size safe would do ok, Sentrysafe seems like a good brand I see a lot in the online coin groups.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Hopefully somebody has bought something cool while prices have been low. I’ve been searching for 1oz US Assay silver rounds but no fair deals out there yet.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Eyeing those kilo bars while we’re sub-15. Today’s tech sector dropping has helped this impulse purchase.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I bought two kilo bars of silver, god bless this mess.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I present to you:

Please note that it is a meteorite site, NOT an anus. :airquote:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Finally got some time off to drag my Sovereigns out from their safety deposit box and play with them:

Hands down my favorite foreign gold. I also got more cull Peace dollars but those aren't anything to write home about. I've been on the prowl for Gold and Silver certificate dollars lately but unfortunately my local coin place rarely comes across them. I hope y'all took advantage of the low metal prices for a good chunk of the end of last year.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I’ve mostly heard good things about the Air-Tite capsules and the tubes you keep the capsules in. Heard a few stories where some folks got some toning on silver though, not sure if the capsules failed or what. It’s what I normally use for coins that aren’t worth sending off to get graded but I still want to avoid having them get banged up.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Au touched 1.5k/toz gents. Silver is also making a hell of a comeback.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

obscure_reference posted:

Appropriately enough with silver on the rise, I just found a tarnished 1967 silver half mixed in with a bunch of common clad halves at my bank. Would there be any interest in a "roll searching/coin and currency collecting on a budget" thread or should I just post my finds here? I mostly just lurk...

Unfortunately this thread doesn't have much steam on a good day so I say post 'em here. I've always wanted to do coin roll hunting myself.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Parts Kit posted:

So what's a good place to buy hand poured silver bars? I looked at ebay for shits and giggles and everything is above $20/ounce.

Facebook has some good precious metals groups like Silverbugs, Silverminers for buying/selling (and posting that you're looking for specific things like that) just be sure to check references. Otherwise the big vendors like APMEX, JM Bullion and Provident Metals are always sure bets. Unfortunately a lot of states are now collecting sales tax even if they're numismatics which is lame.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

meat police posted:

Silver Gold Bull has a cool little deal where you can buy a 10toz silver bar at spot price. Similar to JM Bullion's beginner pack but with the bar instead of 10 1toz generic rounds.

If it's just generic rounds/bars I'd expect spot price at the very minimum. Libertads/ASE/etc I'd expect some over spot. It's usually easy to find private buyers online from private groups that have well-referenced buyers.

Just reposting for people that may suddenly take an interest. Too bad JM Bullion's offerings are those godawful buffalo rounds anymore, but metal is metal.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Parts Kit posted:

Since making my own bars turned out to be such a stupid idea I went ahead and bought some hand poured bars. Just a few, lol.

Dang those are sharp. I think Yeager and Monarch are my favorite guys doing hand pours.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Stackers loving getting caught up in fancy limited run coins, boutique custom pours etc. basically the limited edition collectible Elvis Plate of the coin world.

I say if you’re going in for strictly investment than metal is metal. I’ve gotten caught up on the numismatic angle so I love getting graded coins here and there—but some random bars or generic rounds is always a good time.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Anyone dealing with fallout from the Silver Eagle limited run the Mint had? I've stopped checking FB groups due to the high school drama arising from promised buy prices being reneged on by all sorts of sellers. Seriously kicking myself for not trying to pick up a few though due to the hysteria.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

stealie72 posted:

What happened?

The US mint released some "super special" limited mint silver dollars. Certain coin-collecting people were promised these silver dollars at a set price from other big-time buyers. These big-time buyers ended up either striking out or buying a few and realizing the demand was far higher than expected. So most dipped out from previous deals and sent off their spoils to PCGS to sell off at an insanely higher rate. Set up a huge debate of the legitimacy of the common handshake deal.

I'm honestly a proponent of the handshake deal. Your legitimacy is only as good as your word.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

meat police posted:

If gold would just drop back below 1,200/oz that would be lovely.

Any loving day now

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

beep-beep car is go posted:

Gadsden flag waving silverbug libertarians getting a taste of their own medicine.

There's still a surprising amount of guys that'll eat the loss on deals which is admirable in it's own way. Facebook coin groups of old men stirring up drama will never not be funny though.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Kind of surprised this thread isn't poppin' all things considered :sweatdrop:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Yeah, I was expecting the goldbugs etc. to be going nuts, maybe they all got covid. I probably read the data all wrong, but somehow the greenback is the big "winner" in this downturn?

paper metal is out for the most part in any groups I've followed, physical buy/sell prices haven't matched COMEX prices for a bit.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Parts Kit posted:

I know it's not a good time to buy gold, but I couldn't resist buying some Romanov roubles.

😍

Well fellas gold pushing closer to 2k. Stocks ... up? Happened during early COVID too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

hold or sell, what do y'all think