Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Cobi, J-ru, didn't one of you review Engines of War, the War Doctor book? I've just finished it and wanted to see what others thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sweet, thanks. And having listened to a little of the audio book, Briggs' John Hurt isn't all that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Also, Captain Yesterday, why is your av a potential GoT spoiler? Or not, I don't know/care.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rose (and most of the first season, honestly) looks like it's filmed with a vaseline-smeared camera.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Since you're changing the OP, classic Who is also broadcast on Drama in the UK.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I can only imagine an American Who convention as being fezzes, bowties, converse hi-tops and TARDIS dresses as far as the eye can see. And DoctorWhat as the sole Classic Who holdout, constantly having to explain who he is.

"The sixth Doctor. No, the sixth. Colin Baker. No, the one with the scarf was Tom Baker."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

I did just see a teenager with green bubble wrap on one hand.

That warms my heart no end. Maybe there is hope. :unsmith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Maybe it's like a Suicide Squad set in the Whoniverse. The Master! A Dalek! Sharez Jek! Mavic Chen! The Rani!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Also, I prefer just calling it The TV Movie or Grace:1999.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Man, the title sequence for Grace:1999 would be great.

THIS EPISODE
<repeated smash cuts to Eric Roberts chewing scenery>

For those who have missed this fantastic slice of 70s Space Disco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4-A__lZrEA

The side links of which lead me to the complete Sapphire & Steel episodes, which I didnt know existed on Youtube. I'm watching the first episode/assignment, and it's really interesting stuff, and it's gripping in that Who-esque 70s way. I'm a little put off that the first assignment is apparently 2 hours 15 minutes long, but hey, I guess that's like a 6 parter Who story. It reminds me a lot of Hide, and things like The Stone Tapes, but I keep expecting the Doctor to show up, and he doesn't. :ohdear:

I'm guessing someone's proposed the 'Sapphire & Steel are Time Lords/CIA/etc' theory in the past?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqah0bXh19E

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

adhuin posted:

I'll have to track it down it then.

Is Anyone familiar with the revisitations boxed sets? Are they anything good? First one seems to include the McGann movie special edition.

Yeah, they're great! All the original dvd extras, plus a bunch more!

Davros1 posted:

Almost all of S&S are two and half hours long. It's very atmospheric, but you know you're in trouble when the creator of the show has said "I didn't know what the show was about".

My working theory is now that they're Type 103 TARDISes. Sentient, humanoid in appearance, with powers but seemingly lacking in actual nous about humans.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 29, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cerv posted:

am i the only person here who watched the TV Movie when it first aired and didn't give a poo poo about kissing?

I am King of the Wilderness Years nerds and saw it before it aired. It was released on VHS about 2 weeks before airing in the UK, and I went to HMV in Piccadilly Circus for the midnight sale of it, and got my copy signed by Geoffrey Sax, the director. I was 3rd in the queue. Jesus, I was 15.

I got home, watched it all before falling asleep. Watched about half of it again when I woke up, and then went to school very tired, but super excited to tell my two other friends who liked Who all about it. I may have jumped a little in telling them. I didn't give a poo poo about the kissing either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1x4YzkeQEI

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

The Master's trial is a bit weird though, you must concede. If they're putting him on trial for the Frontier/Planet stuff, why would they let the Doctor come and collect his remains? The Master annoyed them a bit, the Doctor ruined their plans over and over and over again and made them blow up their homeworld.

Yadda yadda Act of Master Restitution gubbins.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Hearing Sylvester talking about just HOW much fun the pyrotechnics crew had on Remembrance of the Daleks was a hoot.

"So they set the explosions off...and when the dust cleared, three Daleks had been melted in half. Oh, and did I mention this was on the 60th anniversary of the Easter Rebellion? As we heard the sirens, the director said 'well, let's call it a day. Everybody? Please run."

I remember that story being on the BBC nightly news. :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I wish they'd do something like Christmas on a Rational Planet. Or maybe they could start having a go at the BBC EDA books.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ironically, before the Time War, the Time Lords spent most of their time protecting Hitler from marauding time travellers causing chaos with history by trying to kill him.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

So NOW people want me to put on the Coat.

It is by far the lesser of the two evils.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wasn't that a line in Kill the Moon? That they could keep shooting, but he'd still be standing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I always reasoned that it wasn't the 10th Doctor under the sheet in Turn Left, but whatever the 12th Doctor would have looked like had he not used up his next regeneration being vain.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Don't forget the transduction barriers!

Pfft, they're like the guard booth on a military base. Just there to stop you getting into Gallifrey without proper authorisation.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Better story for the kiddo - City of Death or Robots of Death?

City of Death? It's certainly funnier.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sad King Billy posted:

There must be a better 7th doc story than Battlefield?

"Boooooooooooooom!"

Any other story from seasons 25 and 26 are better than Battlefield.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Seventh/Brig is the best because the Brig knew it was the Doctor right away. I think that's my favorite Seven scene in his entire run.

:tipshat:"Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart!"
:hist101:"Hello, Doctor."
:tipshat:"So you recognise me then?"
:hist101:"Who else would it be?"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Stockbridge appeared a few times in the 5th Doctor DWM comics, and latterly the 8th Doctor, as comics companion Izzy was from there too.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Stockbridge

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I remember peace out-ing about halfway through episode 2 of The Dark Husband because it was just so tedious and dull.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

TL posted:

I can't figure out how to share it here, but the Doctor Who Facebook page has an awesome video of Capaldi showing up to the Doctor Who Experience in character and answering a kid's question about what his favorite face was, and Peter Capaldi's hair is really long and he looks insane which is awesome and he's basically the goddamn best.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMi8c8uglmI

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

An acceptable backup would be David Warner.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I remember he also played the spirit guide in the Reeves & Mortimer revamp of Randall & Hopkirk: Deceased which was a lot of fun.

Oh good lord, I'd forgotten that that existed. The early 2000s were a weird period. Lots of Who-faces in it, I see. Tennant, Gatiss, Steve Pemberton and Charles Dance were in the first episode. Crikey. Two Doctors, Mycroft Holmes, and Tywin Lannister/The Patrician. Wait, why hasn't Charles Dance been in Who yet?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Charles Dance doesn't really have the slight touch of insanity needed to be the Master. He makes a brilliant Patrician though, and I hope he reprises the role at some point.

I don't think insanity is a necessary part. Look at Delgado.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

docbeard posted:

I remember reading somewhere that, possibly Terrance Dicks but I'm not sure, once had the idea of a renegade Time Lord who ran around with all of his incarnations at once in a gang.

Lawrence Miles uses that idea in his two book EDA, Interference. The Time Lord known as I. M. Foreman (yeah yeah) travels with his freakshow all over the universe. The inhabitants of it are all his other incarnations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Wow. I never knew it was like that…then again, I live in Washington where we have all kinds of accents, so I guess I never really noticed. When I first moved here from Pittsburgh my roommate, who was the very definition of “Southern Alabama,” asked me what the hell was up with MY accent.

So my next question – what’s the difference between “Northern accent” and “Scottish accent?”

Northern encompasses anything from Manchester (Eccleston), Liverpool (Craig Charles/Lister - Red Dwarf), Yorkshire (Brian Glover - Attack of the Cybermen) to Newcastle/Geordie. Scottish is Karen Gillan/Capald/Moffat.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 14, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

<puts the kettle on>

Tea, everyone?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

FIGHTING WORDS

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

It's the screen name of the guy saying it that makes it art.

Doctor no more.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dabir posted:

The way I've always understood it is state schools are government-run, private schools charge fees and public schools are posh secondary schools for twats like Eton and Harrow.

I went to Harrow's day school. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Interesting. Apparently on the Damaged Goods Big Finish adaptation, someone states that they're working for Torchwood.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, it's not like the BBC can stop RTD doing what he wants, mostly because as often noted, he's literally a giant and they're scared of him.

But he didn't write the Big Finish adaptation...?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The dude from Casanova? Is the Doctor gonna start making out with his companions or something? :lau.... oh wait. v:shobon:v

What? Already? But Eccleston only just started! How is he stepping down already?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

BSam posted:

Yeah, Tennant and a purple suit just don't mix.

To be fair, it's not a suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Is that from that new Alias series that's gonna be on Netflix? I am really excited about that if it's going to be anywhere near as good as the comic it is based on.

It is indeed. I'm finishing up on Daredevil right now, and enjoying the hell out of that. Hopefully AKA Jessica Jones (Alias is obviously taken as a title) will be with us before 2015 is over.

• Locked thread