Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

It didn't hook me the way S1E1 did but it wasn't too hard to understand either. Justin Lin's directing was good except for the end with the close-ups of the important people. If anything it was the writing that seemed off compared to last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

I enjoyed the episode well enough. I'm kind of into all of the characters being gigantic assholes so you root against them; adds a different dynamic. I can't wait for Vince Vaughn to go back to his "non-legit" self when the deal he is working on starts to fall apart.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Damo posted:

Jesus Christ people if he was really actually attempting to commit suicide, do you not think he would have tried a more, you know, sure method? And actually have stuck with it?

What he did screams adrenaline junkie who needs to do crazy things to feel alive and emotion again. Compare that to his inability to get a boner and how that is a similar theme of being numb and not being able to enjoy life like others can.. Also recall how he said earlier in the episode how he NEEDS to stay on the highways, as that is the only time he feels good or right or whatever The guy is numb from his life experiences and riding the highways on his bike like that is practically the only thing that keeps him sane. Perhaps he was toying with the idea of suicide in the sense that he was being reckless in his persuit for emotion and a connection to life and desire to live again, -- but he wasn't doing it to kill himself for sure.

I swear to god people you are really loving stupid and bad at watching television. I need to stay away from this loving thread if this is any indication of the level of discussion and interpretation. The show is practically loving screaming what it's trying to tell you and you are just straight making poo poo up instead. What the hell?

Hahaha, here we go. Wow, what a loving idiot.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I didn't think it was that bad, and of course it needs some time to unfold before I really make a full-on judgement regarding it, but... Yeah, not the greatest hour of TV. I feel a lot like 1.1 was a better hook than 2.1, though. Even though they're both rather vague and such, as there's a lot of story left to be told and they're just the first episodes, but still--I think that at the end of 1.1 I was looking forward to 1.2 more that I am 2.2. This one didn't draw me in all that much, is all.

Still, I don't want to be too critical as of yet. Since it's just the first episode I don't want to form too strong an opinion on the season's narrative or anything until I know more about it, so with that in mind, my only real complaints would probably be the aforementioned circular pan/overhead circular shot that the episode closes with was pretty cheesy. That being said, some things I really liked about it: They did a good job pulling off the whole "sunshine noir" vibe. Also, while I feel like the way they used that live performance in the bar with Vaughn and Farrell was sorta weird with how it cut back and forth, I still love this season's music choices and score--didn't I see that T-Bone Burnett was did this season as well? That's one thing I feel redeemed that last scene, since I like Nick Cave.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

sector_corrector posted:

Hahaha, here we go. Wow, what a loving idiot.

Yeah dude, you're right I'm a loving idiot and he's totally a gay guy constantly clandestinely taking dick pills to gently caress a girl for god knows what reason or benefit, and who was trying to commit suicide when he turned his lights back on then told himself to stop it. Also shannon got stabbed did you hear?

By the way, great job there supporting whatever claims you have. Really convinced me of your position comapred to the actual in-show evidence mine have.

Damo fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 22, 2015

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

blablablabla posted:

Vince Vaughn certainly does not spout philosophical bullshit as well as Matthew McConaughey

McConaughey believes it, limited-range-turd he is.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

maduin posted:

Could have been worse, but that circle shot where they zoomed in on each of the three protagonists was some terrible loving television.

I thought it was pretty good except for that scene yeah, that was pretty corny.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Damo posted:

Yeah dude, you're right I'm a loving idiot and he's totally a gay guy constantly clandestinely taking dick pills to gently caress a girl for god knows what reason or benefit, and who was trying to commit suicide when he turned his lights back on then told himself to stop it. Also shannon got stabbed did you hear?

By the way, great job there supporting whatever claims you have. Really convinced me of your position comapred to the actual in-show evidence mine have.

You present an interesting point, but I'm definitely going to need to see some MS Paint diagrams before I buy it.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

I liked how all the main male characters are impotent and/or infertile.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Georgia Peach posted:

I liked how all the main male characters are impotent and/or infertile.

Bernie (Casper) got his dick blown off too

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Damo posted:

hey dude it's just a TV show

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Did love the last shots.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
"I'm gonna come back and buttfuck your dad on your front yard."

-Happy Father's Day from HBO

Phenylketonuric
Aug 12, 2003

Liked the episode overall, did find the final shot of the three protags eyeing each other dramatically to break the immersion a bit. It had a very heavy-handed "this is the set-up episode, guess what's gonna happen NEXT" vibe to it.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Is that David Morse as the guy with the long hair in the Institute? When McAdams and her partner first walk up

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

stuart scott posted:

hey dude it's just a TV show

for real?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

liked the setup, looking forward to seeing where this is going and the endless misery that befalls all our protagonists

Damo posted:

you on the other hand, are extremely angry about a post that was obviously a joke

Concurred posted:

Is that David Morse as the guy with the long hair in the Institute? When McAdams and her partner first walk up

yeah

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
yeah that was a pretty good first episode. I do agree with everyone so far that Vince Vaughn's character might as well not even exist. That should pick up though.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

oatgan posted:

you on the other hand, are extremely angry about a post that was obviously a joke

Maybe one of em was a joke, I dunno, but there are definitely a shitload of people on the internet tonight spouting the "he is a suicidal gay man" theory so my points still stand either way.

Bubba Smith posted:

yeah that was a pretty good first episode. I do agree with everyone so far that Vince Vaughn's character might as well not even exist. That should pick up though.

I thought it was funny how the show's "bad guy" is seemingly the most well-adjusted person with the least baggage, so far at least.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is a bad episode. There is no need to tell the back story of the 2 younger cops so early. Plus showing their back stories so early remote them from the suspected bad guys list.

McAdams and Kitsch are both loving boring characters. They are both mediocre good cops. Colin is kind of interesting but dude lay down the drinking.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Bubba Smith posted:

I enjoyed it and am looking forward to next episode, also I want to drink less after watching them sluggo down some drinks

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
I thought it was pretty good, actually. I really enjoyed the gritty feel and cinematography. The opening credits essentially being the same as S1 with different shots and music was interesting. Taylor whatever's character so far seems the weakest while Farrell's was the strongest. Farrell really knows how to play a broken gently caress pretty well whenever he does it. Dead guy at the end propped up with missing eyes + cock :stare:. Overall I think this is going to take off strongly.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
“Sometimes, riding at night, I punch off the headlights and roll on the throttle and just rocket blind into the dark.”

lol

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
During the rail pitch I kept thinking about the song from the Simpsons episode when one was pitched.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

My two fears as a father would be having a son who was either fat or a pussy, poor Colin Ferrel really struck out.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
SNORE!

Everything was vague as gently caress and not in an interesting or ominous way. This was weak as gently caress and felt lifted scenes from three different boring movies.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

ruddiger posted:

My two fears as a father would be having a son who was either fat or a pussy, poor Colin Ferrel really struck out.

You forgot ginger.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

lifts cats over head posted:

He's definitely got some PTSD symptoms but my guess is former military. He said something to his lady friend about not understanding what happened in the desert so my guess is Iraq/Afghanistan. Reckless behavior can be a symptom that goes with many former military problems.

He was in this worlds Blackwater equivalent or whatever, they mentioned it when he got suspended.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

They should replace the shots of the refinery and the freeway with the GTA 5 swap player animations.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Show made me realize I don't even know if people give a poo poo about cam girls anymore? Like I know the answer to that is yes but I know a few pretty well IRL and they are all just like normal people working for a paycheck like everyone else :shrug:

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
That was okay, but when is Yog-Sothoth going to show up drunk on space mead? I'm still waiting from last season...

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I'll keep tuning in for the Leonard Cohen

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

so far vince vaughn's attempt at serious acting is just mumbling through all of his lines.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Show made me realize I don't even know if people give a poo poo about cam girls anymore? Like I know the answer to that is yes but I know a few pretty well IRL and they are all just like normal people working for a paycheck like everyone else :shrug:

I thought the same thing. I think that scene and the one where she talks to her father are there to establish that Ani is kind of uptight as a reaction to her family life.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
I thought this was actually a pretty good episode which set up an interesting premise. I binge-watched the first season knowing basically nothing about it and this has the same vibe minus the charisma of Harrelson and McCounaughey.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I liked it. I'm worried that too many protagonists will take something away from it, though.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I know that bar Ferrell and Vaughn were in was supposed to be a dive but it looked rad and I wanna chill out there and get blotto while listening to depressing folk songs.

This episode was far better than I thought it was going to be. The critics have been savaging the first few episodes hard so I was expecting a trainwreck.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yeah, it dragged at certain points, and Vince Vaughn needs to stop being such a mushmouth, but I also enjoyed it. Gonna probably find some really dark poo poo once they go digging into the Ben Caspere murder; and it's probably somehow connected to David Morse's transcendental hippy tourism lodge.

I don't think it'll end up being as good as season 1, but it might end up that way and we'll all eat our words.

EDIT: Also, getting crusty ol' Leonard Cohen to do the theme was a nice touch.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 22, 2015

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

yogi dad and his spirits and god eyes... plus Casper/Caspere ending up eyeless? I have high hopes for this season.

I liked ep 1 plenty - sweeping shots of coasts and refineries and desolate highway are pretty. California isn't a dull setting so far at all.

vvvvvvvvveditvvvvvvvv the opener? yeah, it's a bit dull. They make up for it with the song in the bar, though.

wolfs fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
New song is loving poo poo lmfao

• Locked thread