Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Apparently the occult stuff is out, which sucks because I was one of the ones that really liked the Lovecraft atmosphere and hints from the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess the removal of the occult stuff wouldn't prevent the over arching sense of doom that accompanies Lovecraft fiction from being used.

I just don't want another straight cop show. The Cosmic Horror aspect is what made the first season stand out.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

June 21st iirc

Sleeveless posted:

Considering that just about every aspect of the first season's supernatural stuff has been met with allegations of plagiarism I'm not surprised that he's unwilling (or unable) to return to that well again.

I kid of stopped following this after the second allegation, were there more (and more specifically regarding the supernatural)?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If this season crashes and burns then it will cement my suspicion that Fukunaga was the brains behind the first season.

That said, I hope it's good :)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

johntfs posted:

The thing is that you could look at it in several ways. Sure, some deluded shitbird abducted and murdered young girls in cahoots with a bunch rich, evil guys and he was finally stopped by a couple of dedicated cops, one of whom suffered some truly weird drug flashbacks. Or the whole thing was a big Call of Cthulhu scenario in which the detectives prevented the bad guys from performing the final part of a ritual that would bring Hastur to Earth to devour us all. What was presented in the first series allows both of the above viewpoints to be valid interpretations, which is great.

:agreed:, they couldn't have made it clearer that it was purposefully set up to be interpreted either way if they'd hit you with a sign with "It's Written to be Interpreted EITHER WAY" written on it, for some reason Drifter and a few others from the Season 1 thread are super against it for REASONS

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Drifter posted:

These weren't fantasy shows; keep the trolling to a minimum please.

You should stick to Law & Order

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Weird, it's almost as if it's open to multiple interpretations.

Yeah, I'm fine with people seeing it either way, but to say that the other doesn't exist and is in your sad tumblr mind is pretty dumb

Edit: Like, it's over-the-top obvious that it's supposed to go either way. Pizzalatte admits that Lovecraft was a major inspiration but that he wanted to walk the line, the two guys he stole material from are major contributors to Cosmic Horror fiction, and the director is now working on IT, a Cosmic Horror inspired movie.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 13, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Newest trailers making this thing look better than I thought it would

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ghosthotel posted:

I thought this was a pretty good episode and was able to follow everything pretty well. The characters seem to all be huge pieces of poo poo so far but I'm totally okay with that kind of narrative.

Drunk Assholes doing bad things and maybe solving a crime at the end. Im on board.

:agreed: Farrell is my favorite character so far, they did a good job with him. He shot, drank, and sniffed during that one 3 minute bar scene!

Hollismason posted:

I liked it, I mean it's very different but still has the weirdness with it. Crazy loving books, Eagle Masks, etc.. I mean there are at least 4 featured characters that they have to go through. I think it's good so far introducing the characters etc..

BTW , Season 1 Episode 1 was the exact same way.

It's pretty pathetic how you took Moola's avatar, which I bought him. Why didn't you just let it disappear into the void after it served it's awesome purpose?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This episode had a Dashiell Hammett feel to it.

Maybe it's the California thing, but I'm pretty sure that The Dain Curse also had a setting that was pretty similar to where the dead guy ended up.

I'm A-OK with Pizzolatto ripping Dashiell Hammett instead of HP Lovecraft for this season.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Scarred Heart posted:

Went in with low expectations, but I really enjoyed it overall.

1. I don't think the traffic cop is gay as has been speculated. He is not married to the girl and has no children, so if he didn't want to deal with her he would just leave. I think he is either suffering from PTSD, or has some kind of sexual abuse in his past that is affecting his sex drive.

2. We haven't seen the wife yet, but their is no way that kid is Colin's right?

It is very clear that he's suffering from PTSD and something more. "That one was from before the army."

They made it as clear as they could that Ray's son was the rapist's and that Ray killed him with the information Frank gave to him, and now he's forever involved with Frank who now has a murder on him.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

e: one thing I didn't like is that motorcycle cop just happened to pull out of his skid right where that important missing guy that everyone was after was just chilling out on his bench. Having made it clear exactly how much highway there is in the region, it just seems like a totally unbelievable coincidence.

The highway imagery is even better than I expected, they're really selling it as a living, breathing, creepy-as-gently caress entity that connects everything, like some sort of monster.

Everyone gets touched!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

linoleum floors posted:

and yet he doesnt seem intoxicated at all

great job colin

kiimo posted:

I really thought this season was going to be bad but I like the set-up and think this guy might be really talented after all. ;)

I'm hoping the scarred up waitress, the one who wears her scars on the outside, returns! :cool:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think it's about time we talk about :can:WOMEN:can: now, here, in the True Detective 2 thread, in TV/IV.

Why don't you get him out here, the missus'll never have to know...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

linoleum floors posted:

rachel mcadams is way too waifish to play a convincing police officer, also theyve put too much makeup on her, and she dresses incorrectly. cops dont wear skinny jeans during raids.

i have to same complaint about colin farrel. he looks and dresses like colin farrel. not a drunk corrupt cop. a loving movie star

vince vaughan looks like a scared manchild throughout the entire episode. hes had too much botox

complaints about plot are dumb as hell for the first episode. it's a slow burning series. so is complaining about it being pulp detective ripoff.. did any of you even watch season 1? the direction and writing is the only thing holding it together. It seems off because the casting is terrible.

I was using "ripping" with affection.

Anyway, "Athena" and "Antigone" are some pretty loaded female character names, Pizzolatto!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ramadu posted:

So we are going full on bohemian grove eh. Seems cool.

Also season 1 connection with the bird mask??

It all makes sense now.

I hope so!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

For all the talk of no cults being in this season I got a very strong cult feeling from that one episode.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Seriously, one of the main characters is named Antigone (according to Wikipedia, on the show she's referred to as Ani)

Rachel McAdams better be dead as poo poo in the last episode.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

lake trout sub posted:

The Jinx's intro/theme has, in my opinion, topped all attempts at the edgy music with dissolving transitions.

agreed, The Jinx had an awesome intro, almost as good as TD season 1

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rustin Cohle. Rustin' Cohle. Rusting.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

I just rewatched episode 1 again.

I completely zoned out on 3 crucial scenes where Caspere's body was being hauled around. Like the first time I saw it, no idea what I was getting into, and I was too busy digesting the scenes. Didn't even think to realize it was Caspere.

Second time around, its even better so I am starting to find a lot of the negative reviews really tumblrite tier. It's like these days people consume too quickly without digesting material, and its all a loving knee-jerk to instant intial thoughts. This is going to be a slow, evocative show that requires digesting and soaking in the mood.

Second time around, I watched Frank Semyon closer, and I saw that Vaughn was acting just what he was supposed to be. Unsure, nervous and anxious, uncomfortable. Somewhat quiet to appear controlled. That was his character, not his ability to act. His whole rail presentation depended on Caspere, the dead guy. Plus people also missed the talk he had with his wife. "Don't put on airs." "Never appear hungry." Its' all right loving there. It was a big loving day for him and he didn't get sleep. Pick it the gently caress up and get the hint, TMZ.

Not really sure about people talking about how the coffee scene was acted. Second time around...all I saw was sipping with a perfect transition to present day Frank sipping. Grasping at straws tbh.

Finally found someone who didn't bash it and is actually right about it.
http://www.businessinsider.com/true-detective-review-2015-6

I was at work and since our access is controlled I decided to read some reviews for the premier. I was actually surprised to find that a lot of respectable sites had critic reviews that had character names wrong, plot points, and compared this one episode to the entire last season.

One critic talked about how the mysterious killer kept a crows head in his car. How the hell he missed that it was a mask astounds me.

Still not as bad as my partner's aunt who I found out watched last season and decided to talk to during a party. She didn't like the show because she thought they should solve a mystery each episode.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I never understood the conflict over season 1's Lovecraft stuff. There are obvious mythos references, and they're even there for a reason: cosmic horror is about the same kind of poo poo as True Detective, nihilism and existential loneliness. The show can use that stuff in an informed, thoughtful way without having elder gods literally exist in its universe. It doesn't have to be a choice between "the cosmic horror/weird fiction stuff is meaningless nonsense that sounded good to the writers" and "I'm disappointed that the killer wasn't Cthulhu all along".

I don't understand the perspective of either group. If somebody made a series about a Christian apocalypse cult, would they be disappointed if the ending was something other than the four horsemen splitting open the sky, and assume that because that didn't happen the content of the cult's belief system was irrelevant to the show's concept?

lol the people dead set against the Lovecraft interpretation of Season 1 are even weirder than the strawmen they create.

WHere my Cthulu?! :bahgawd:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

centaurtainment posted:

The reason is that he spent three years undercover doing drugs that fried his brain. That's why he hallucinates the trails while driving and sees the birds in episodes two or three. The hallucinations have larger thematic meanings, but just because you're on mushrooms and perceive that the world goes around for more than 360 degrees doesn't make it the truth.

EDIT: Wait, so is the other explanation of the black hole that Cthulu did it to distract him?

That one line they gave to make things ambiguous.

I think that Cole starts to see behind the curtain and at the very end sees what Childress sees, which is something that is similar to what Lovecraftian Eldar Gods look like.

It would have been great if Rust's hair was completely white afterwards (Stephen King Lovecraft style) or he'd gone completely insane/ catatonic (Lovecraft style), the internet would have raged even harder.

Personally I like to think of Season 1 as a perfect Southern Gothic/ Cosmic Horror mash up, but I acknowledge that it's supposed to be ambiguous.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Stupid Dick posted:

Ok, I was kind of kidding about the animal heads on the wall being masks, but I just rewatched episode two and there are definitely 4 heads on the wall, with a fifth empty space that looks like one of those things in a store that you see hats or wigs on. :stare:

Huh, let's look up this "Araki" title and... oh... more weird sex stuff.

The city is my favorite character in this show. 70 000 people commute, 950 live there... the city is literally a monster that is killing the area with poison, and the highways are it's tentacles.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

im going to keep c/ping excerpts from howl into this thread until someone acknowledges me

I'm just usin' the 'Net, bud! :slick:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

syscall girl posted:

Maybe he has a sad dick from too much motorcycle but he's basically Brad Pitt in The Departed.

Shameful

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Black Bones posted:

I liked how Dixon got killed by the trap he helped spring. Antigone is probably the only one the higher ups want removed; Paul is an unknown quantity to them and Ray is still useful as far as they know.

They got a dead patsy and nightmare of media scrutiny now, the official investigation is probably over. It's up to Frank and his crew of questionable loyalty to solve the case now!

Pretty sure Dixon weakened at the end there: he wanted to wait for them to come out.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What is it about TVIV and True Detective that makes the threads some of the worst on the forum? Can we figure that mystery out?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

HOT SQUATS posted:

He said the same thing about the Leftovers thread. I'll admit I watched every episode of that show and discussed it even though I didn't like it, so I was part of the problem.

Leftovers was a really terrible show compounded with an even worse thread lol

This show is actually pretty okay and the thread is bad-funny

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Instead of reading The Brothers Karamazov I ended up picking up my copy of Raymond Chandler short stories and have started reading it, thanks to this show.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Try and find The Maltese Falcon if you haven't read it. It's good poo poo.

I read all of the major Chandler and Hammett books last summer, and started with Falcon. I didn't really enjoy it as much as I'd hoped I would, Spade fell short of my expectations.

The Continental OP in Red Harvest was amazing, however, and everything with Marlowe in it is gold, even Playback.

Pizzolotto should spend his downtime reading both those authors, then make an HBO-themed Chandler/Hammett-heavier inspired Season 3.

Also, HBO's own Philip Marlowe, P.I. is a classic, if you can find it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I read all of the major Chandler and Hammett books last summer, and started with Falcon. I didn't really enjoy it as much as I'd hoped I would, Spade fell short of my expectations.

The Continental OP in Red Harvest was amazing, however, and everything with Marlowe in it is gold, even Playback.

Pizzolotto should spend his downtime reading both those authors, then make an HBO-themed Chandler/Hammett-heavier inspired Season 3.

Also, HBO's own Philip Marlowe, P.I. is a classic, if you can find it.

Reading "Finger Man" by Chandler now, just found "strident" used in a sentence, maybe Pizzolotto already read Chandler as prep for this season...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Not going to add much, but Frank's 'I'm gonna put my other hand up now. DON'T YOU loving SHOOT ME, RAYMOND!' made me laugh like a maniac.

This actually startled me because it was both realistic and good, imho

About the episode, I kind of expected more out of the orgy. I was expecting Eyes Wide Shut x10.

:qqsay:

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 28, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Can of Cloud posted:

I'm thinking the "birdman" may actually be the tandem of the mayors son and daughter (huge leap: but while discussing the jewellery heist, the man mentioned girl and boy (wearing a mask) being only ones left).

But what the hell do I know.

I'm seriously hoping that Burris is Birdman, as ho-hum as it would be since it seems obvious, but we never officially find out it was him, which someone mentioned would be a nice homage to Lynch's original intention in Twin Peaks.

Edit: I'm also pretty down with the idea that Ray was talking to Burris in his semi conscious piss pants state

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 30, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

monkeu posted:

Also is the fact that rich old white guys are using their power and money for sex and doing back room deals supposed to be shocking?

Yeah I was hoping for something between horrifying sexual group events where a woman is murdered while everyone laughs (this is what I thought was going to happen with the missing sister) to huge orgy surrounding some sort of large pagan god statue.

That would have been hosed up and closer to Season 1

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think it was supposed to be both.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

You want me to roll a joint? is one of my favorite lines of the series

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Roman Reigns posted:

Colin's delivery was perfect for that.

Post did a great job editing out the director yelling at him that they were rolling!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

There is no way the green ears thing was supposed to be paint originally. At some point I'm sure someone pointed out that wearing sound blockers while chasing your victim was dumb, so they had to change it.

Or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ask Nicky Questions

"HBO: Ask Showrunner Nic Pizzolatto About True Detective"

• Locked thread