Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Grand Keep - The Prince's Court

Centerstone, the heart of an Empire.
The Grand Keep, the seat of a Dynasty.
The Prince's Court, the kiddie table of Governance.

Arrayed in magnificent clothing and expensive jewelry, the court is made up of all the great houses, along with a few of the lesser ones and even a foreign dignitary. It's almost midday - you've been assembled for ten minutes already - and yet the Prince still hasn't arrived. Autumn has begun, and the light that filters through the magnificent stained glass windows is bright and proud. A dozen or so guards mill about, watching the lot of you with a wary boredness that takes years to master. Servants sit off to the sides of the room, bringing refreshment (mainly water or wine) as commanded by their betters.

So, until the prince can be bothered to get off his royal rear end and join you in his own Court, looks like you've got some time to yourselves. Feel free to gossip, try and keep any stabbings out of sight somehow.

Additionally, Princess Zyra's Fifteenth Nameday celebration is this Friday, only four days away. They'll dancing of course, as she's hoping to feel well enough to participate herself. Jugglers, minstrels, magicians, all manner of entertainment will be present. No expense has been spared, as House Macaster is the one covering them. Supposedly, the Prince is planning a Melee to commemorate the occasion. If you're planning on bringing someone with you, best secure their agreement early - it's the social event of the month, and all the big names will be there.

--------
SCENE 1

Lady Rosemonde - Are you worried that the Prince isn't there yet, or does he do this sort of thing a lot? What gift or trinket did you bring with you today to give him as a token of your affections, and do you think it'll work?

Ser Tavros - Everyone but Prince Tormas is present and accounted for. Is there anyone you're keeping an eye on in particular? What brother of the Kingsguard is guarding the entrance to the Court, and do you trust them?

Lady Eris - You were surprised when the Prince summoned you to the Royal Library yesterday evening. What impractical invention is he now obsessed with? How do you anticipate fulfilling his demands for a working prototype?

Prince Levi - It seems Karin's already up to some mischief - she's managed to provoke a fight over hairstyles with Priscilla, and the two of them seem to be arguing quietly but quite intently. Do you interfere, or leave her to her own devices?

Ser Morgan - Lyle and Vidar have been having a conversation about the comeliness of the ladies of the court since you arrived, and with a shoulder nudge from Lyle, seek to include you. Do you participate, tell them off, or remain silent?

Seeker Eitna - It's shaping up to be a sunny day, not a cloud in the sky. What holy day is it that the Heathens have (predictably) failed to recognize? What rituals are called for this evening? Is there anyone here, other than Keelin, that you'd like to bring along?

Lady Cordelia - While you and your handmaidens whisper amongst yourselves, Anna leans in. "I think Levi's handsome, but Morgan's more handsome." She smiles at you and your friends, looking simple rather pleased at having joined in your discussion. How do you react?

Lord Sylvius - With no real need to sleep, you had plenty of time to stalk your Garden the night before. What other members of the Prince's Court did you see meeting that surprised you? Do you plan to try and find out more, or will you confront them?

Lady Idren - Ever since you sat down, Fagin's been deeply interested in conversing with you. Technically about archery, but you think it's mostly a chance for him to smile at you repeatedly, and to run his hand through his hair in what he probably imagines is a gallant way. Do you think he's genuinely interested? Are you?

Rauri fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

THE CAST
Levi Anguis, the Serpentine, played by Roland Jones
Tavros Lanser, the Fae, played by Someone Awful
Morgan Wick, the Chosen, played by OKShark
Idren Kosir, the Wyrm, played by Megane
Sylvius Lothier, the Ghost, played by Klingon w Bowl Cut
Cordellia Macaster, the Queen, played by Kitty Empress
Rosamonde Pernel, the Mortal, played by Godfish
Eitna ó Braonáin, the Witch played by Axe Man
Eris d'Montaigne, the Lich played by TychoBrahesNose

The Strings Sheet
OOC Thread
NPC List.

quote:

Lothier is Red
Lanser is Blue
Pernel is Light Green
Kosir is White
d'Montaigne is Lavender
Wick is Black
Macaster is Gold
Braonáin is Orange
Anguis is Dark Green (and has two pockets in Macaster lands)
Albendroth (NPC house) is Pink
Malbrecht is Purple
Spice Kingdoms and Mountain Clans are to the east of Wick
Esten is to the south of Lanser lands
Ren Mira is to the north of d'Montaigne lands.

Map of Centerstone coming soon

pre:
                  [Tormas   ] [Rosemonde]
            [Tavros ]                 [Eris   ]

[Vidar    ] [Lyle   ]                 [Gwen   ] [Anna   ]
[Priscilla] [Morgan ]                 [Cordi  ] [Diana  ]
[Karin    ] [Eitna  ]        X        [Talia  ] [Va Sira]
[Levi     ] [Keelin ]                 [Bron   ] [Sylvius]
[Malleus  ] [Brandt ]                 [Fagin  ] [Idren  ]
XP, Advances, and Highlights
Please double check with me before taking any Move from a skin that's not on the list in the OOC thread.
We'll be changing Highlights every two scenes, aka once per session.

pre:
        THE DEATH LIST
Who              How               Killer
Lord Northhill   Sword             Prince Tormas
Ser Micael       Dagger            ????
Hanged Man       Rope              ????
Ser Ebrams       Decorative Sword  Sylvius
Unseelie???      Sword + Bolt      Morgan + Eris
Royal Physician  Sword + Dagger    Tavros + Sylvius

Please include a stat block at the top of your first post.
Please keep your character sheet updated with advances (as you take them.)
I will be posting about once a day. If you need to post less frequently than that, please contact me so we can work something out.
If you will be going out of town / are unable to post for quite some time, please contact me so we can work something out.
Use Orokos (campaign name: Thronehearts) or Kyrmsbot for rolls please.
If you add / remove strings during your post, please edit the String Sheet to reflect those changes immediately thereafter.

REMEMBER THE SINGLETON RULE
You may only earn experience from each highlighted stat and each move once per scene. Similarly, you may only earn a String from any one move once per scene.

*DON'T BE A CREEP*

Rauri fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 27, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Rosemonde Pernel
Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +1
Exp: 0/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Prince's Court | Conditions: None

Of course I'm worried! Anything could have happened to him, especially with so many of the, I have to stop myself from thinking of them as his, Kingsguard busy guarding the king, Tavros here and one more at the entrance, is there anyone left to actually guard my prince's person? That isn't to say he's never been late before, he often doesn't arrive for sometimes up to a quarter of an hour after the opening of court, if the last days meeting had been boring, but... You never knew.

I reach one hand into my pocket and take a reassuring grip on my gift for the Prince. The gift is a small silver and gold brooch , the two pieces designed to fasten a cloak cunningly crafted into the shape of a golden sword entwined with a few stalks of wheat and a beautiful silver manticore head that grips the blade in its mouth to represent the unification of our two houses. If I had gone for my own tastes there probably would have been more flowers, but I know my Prince loves the beauty of battle more than the beauty of nature. But that's only fitting for a King. I don't plan on giving it to him in front of the court though, not yet. It's to be a secret gift, just for the two of us to see. Until he wears it, obviously.

My grip tightens on the brooch as the minutes tick by, and my palm starts to grow somewhat sweaty as the metal begins to dig into my soft hand. I lean forward, and gestured towards the member of the Kingsguard on the dais. "Sir Tavros, which knight of the Kingsguard is with the k-prince at the moment?"

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Cordelia Macaster
Hot +2 | Cold +1 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1
Exp: 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Prince's Court | Conditions: None

I had been discussing the specifics of the upcoming Nameday celebration with my friends, before I was interrupted. Father and Mother had kindly offered to sponsor such an event, in no small part due to my insistence that they do so. I don't know exactly what all was being planned for the occasion, but have learned bits and pieces more than the other members of this Court.. The specific topic had of course drifted to the planned presents of the various girls - with my gift obviously standing far above the ones that my friends had prepared for the princess, which had actually arrived just this morn.. A beautiful red, yellow, and blue bird from far outside the Kingdom itself, capable of mimicking a human's ability to talk. It had been planned for quite some time, more than eight months between first hiring of the men who would catch it, and when it finally arrived to court. A lavish metal cage had been constructed for the bird, and due to the size it was rather hard to sneak into my quarters, but I am happy to have managed it. It will surely be the finest of gifts to give the Princess, and its rarity nearly ensured it would be unique among them.

The interruption, however, quickly silenced my whispers of the present, and I turned to regard the other woman with a small smile, before glancing across the room, at the two men mentioned, "Well," I began, my voice nearly dripped honey as I played at eagerness to converse on the subject, "I believe both of them do have their own charms. Morgan is certainly strong and handsome, but Levi has his own little charm, you know? I caught him just a week past, laughing over some jest, and he has a wonderful smile, though it was rather brief.. Ser Morgan is just far too reserved with that. I'm not certain he knows what fun is." That little hint of sadness to it, as I finished speaking of that, over the poor knight's lack of fun.

I didn't really have any interest in this simple girl, I knew her name and knew she wasn't harmful, but waiting for the Prince had made me and my friends grow quiet bored, and this was the perfect chance. I only needed to give a charming little smile as I began to talk again, "You're Anna, right? Of House Lambrick?" I twirled a stand of hair absently as I did it, "I'm sorry for not introducing myself sooner. I am Cordelia, of House Macaster. My friends in front of you is Gwendolyn, of House Maltie." Gwendolyn gave a little sweet smile of her own at that, "To your left is Diana of the Silveredge House." Diana was ever the pleaser, dipping into the slightest bit of a curtsy, "And to side is Talia, of House Gilless." Talia gave a twiddly little wave as she was introduced, "And it's a pleasure to meet you." I ended it with a sweet smile.

Turning on Anna 2d6+3: 14 Utilizing Clique
Marking XP for Hot

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 19, 2015

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Lady Eris d'Montaigne

Hot +1 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +2
Exp: 0/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: The Toy Court | Conditions: None

As the soon-to-be-King's principal advisor, so much is already on my mind. Divining what Va Sira En Ta might desire of the Prince, and how she even came to be present in the Toy Court without Mother informing me about it. The barbarian Albendroths, ever a thorn in our side, seeking to curry the future king's favor. The libraries still needing searched for any information about my long-lost Sisters. And the Prince…

Well, his notion to build an enormous siege engine to hurl mounted knights rather than projectiles was…bold, if nothing else. Though I knew precious little myself of such matters, I could no doubt begin a correspondence with one of the Malbrecht engineers whom Mother had ensured would be stationed in our naval base at Snowsedge to fend off raids by Zhurean corsairs. Better yet, if any had returned from duty there, I could consult them directly. They would definitely know enough about siegecraft to determine what aspects of the Prince's idea could be retained and what would need to be (forgive me, Your Grace) improved.

But now the Prince himself had not even deigned to appear at his own Court. Even as his request weighed heavily on my mind, I was at the same time considering just beginning the proceedings myself (not to usurp the Prince's authority, you understand -- merely to deal efficiently with any minor affairs that were truly beneath his notice) when Rosemonde sat forward and addressed Sir Tavros.

Casting my gaze upon her, I mustered a sympathetic response. "Your gr-…my Lady, I do not doubt that the Prince, the Future of Madral, is sufficiently well guarded by Ser Tavros's brethren in the Bloodguard. Why, I have been told that warriors of their ilk can hack the sword arm clean off a man, even if he be wearing plated mail! And, as the kingdom's future -- upon our mighty Bertram's passing into the realm of his Ancestors, however near or far off that may be -- Tormas no doubt has far more pressing matters to attend to than those of us of lower station might be privy to. Should you wish, though, I could go myself to inquire as to his disposition, and if we might expect him presently. Shall I tell him that his Dearest Rosemonde begs the favor of his companionship?"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Hot +1 | Cold -1 | Volatile +2 | Dark -1
Exp: 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: The Prince's Court | Conditions: None

I pick disconsolately at my shirt. Silk sleeves. The overlying jerkin I can accept, even if it has enough flame-motif embroidery to cushion a mace-blow, but... silk sleeves? With thread-of-gold diamond cross-hatching? For the hundredth time, I blame my mother. The shirts arrived in a parcel from our family holdings last week. She wants to remind the court that our House is to thank for half the exotic spices and clothes that reach the Grand keep. Pinned to the parcel was a stern admonition that I couldn't just walk around in armor all the time, as if this were a battlefield. Even though it plainly is.

I'm only listening with half an ear to Lyle and Vidar talk about their favorite subject; women. Or at least women's bodies, which is, I gather, the important part of the woman. Actually, Vidar isn't that bad; he's what I imagine Ser Avros must have been like as a young man. Talking to him is like being befriended by a tame bear, and you almost have to respect anyone that absolutely fixated on booze and backsides. But Lyle is a sycophantic little creep. The worst thing is how he pigeonholes you and gives you his ratty and mean little opinions on everything as if you already agree with him. No, the actual worst thing is how he does it where other people can hear him; out of the corner of my eye i can see lady Priscilla pretending coldly not to hear, and Levi's little sister Karin listening with avid interest. I can't tell if Lady Eitna is paying attention or not; she's an odd one. I know I should join in -- Ser Avram's admonition about feigning interest in women was good advice, because having a reputation for being interested in men is the last thing I need -- and if it were anyone but Lyle, I would, but I just can't.

So instead I'm scanning the other side of the room. Cordelia is being Cordelia all over poor Anna Lambrick, and given what I know of Cordelia that's going to end in fire. Fagin is talking to Idren.... That's bad news. An alliance between those two is the last thing I'd need. And it's while I'm pondering this that Lyle elbows me and asks, slyly, "So tell us, Morgan; who do you have your eye on?"

And because I'm not paying attention, I answer honestly: "Idren." I blush, and they both grin, but, drat it, it's true. Desperately, I grope for a reply. "Well, I mean... she has skin like cream and... and hair like spun gold." Also true. If I had hair like that, I'd run my fingers through it all the time.... "She's very pretty," I finish lamely.

Lyle grins lecherously. "I bet you'd like a chance at that."

"I'm sure, if she ever gave me the chance, I could show her a surprise or two," I mutter, with gloomy accuracy.

I need to cut this conversation off right now. I turn, desperately seeking an outlet, and find one. "But Ser Lyle, to tell the truth, if I had to pick the most beautiful maiden here, I wouldn't need to look far. I can't believe you've neglected her, because she's right under our noses." I turn and make an exaggeratedly gallant bow to Lady Karin. "With my greatest compliments, Lady Anguis."

It wasn't a very good ploy. I don't think it would have worked, even if Karin hadn't been struck with such a bad case of the giggle-snorts that she fell over.

I straighten up awkwardly. Silk sleeves. Why doesn't anyone make social armor?

Shutting Down lyle: 2d6-1 3 Also marking 1 Xp for highlighted stat

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 19, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Gods curse it, Tormas. I try not to look cross as I scan the assembly in the Prince's stead. While I hope -- and slightly fear -- that the Prince has a legitimate reason for his absence, it's all the more likely he's simply being a layabout. While frustrating, it's a trait I can't help but find a touch charming. It humanizes him. And the mental image of my armsbrother (likely a cadet Lanser; I think Ser Deimos was put to it?) harrying the Prince is amusing enough to tide me over. If there's legitimate trouble, Deimos can handle that, too; he's not saddled with a fae-curse, so his build represents much of the Lanser might of old. I'm quite sure he'd walk up to a dragon and punch it in the snout. If the Prince has crossed anyone, I can't imagine they'd trouble him with such a man for company.

The armsbrother guarding the Court is neither blood nor familiar, though if I'm remembering true he's of a vassal house. Tymon of Olau, I think -- another secondson vying for a position of glory. I trust him about as far as I could toss him; given that he's got half a foot on me and a score of kilograms at least, I'm certain you can do the math. He does look the part of intimidating guardsman, if a bit thuggish with his dark hair slicked back so, and the Crown's colours suit him better than they do myself. I suppose the appearance of such a thing is primarily what matters when it comes to guarding the Prince's Court. Doubtless no one here is fool enough to do anything requiring serious intervention.

There are too many at Court to keep my eye on, so I do as I was taught and narrow it down. Sylvius, for one -- he's in back with Bron, both of whom are interesting for different reasons. Lyle, giving Ser Morgan a hard time -- I do hope he someday learns that not all men are piggish as he. And of course Lady Rosemonde, who is apparently fraught with concern over Tormas' belated arrival. It reads plainly upon her face, even if she hadn't put voice to it.

"I'd imagine he's accompanied by Ser Deimos; he's usually the one put to guard the Prince's chambers. I'd be hard-pressed to choose a better armsbrother to stand at his side." The corners of my lips quirk up in what I hope is a proper smile -- reassuring without being flippant, without attempting to downplay her unease. Build people up, I was always told. "He'd be touched by your concern, but I can all but promise you there's no need for it."

Turn On Rosemonde 2d6+2 11
Taking a string on Rosemonde; marking XP for rolling Hot

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Hot -1 | Cold +1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +2

I can't believe Lady Idren is sitting right next to me. I will have to do my best to ignore her and pray she doesn't say anything to me. She's weird. Hopefully she didn't notice me absentmindedly picking at the thorns of my rose eyepatch earlier. I have grown accustomed to the sharp feeling of them digging into my eye socket. It is almost reassuring, to be able to feel some measure of pain. Picking at them is simply a nervous habit, and nothing makes me more nervous than court.

I was keeping a close watch on Lord Tavros, purely because he is from a vile, villainous house, and not because he exudes supernatural charm. But then Lady Cordelia starts twirling her hair around, and her ladies-in-waiting join in, focusing their attack on Lady Anna. It's mesmerizing. Why has she never acted that way toward me? The Prince isn't here yet, perhaps I have time to go speak to her.

Speaking of the handmaidens, I saw two of them in the Garden last night, without Lady Cordelia, for once. Lady Diana and Lady Talia. They did not speak of much of importance, though they had some harsh words for Lady Gwendolyn's choice of hairstyle recently. Maybe I can use this information to separate them from their mistress and finally be able to talk to Lady Cordelia alone.

Enough brooding. She is the heir of a powerful House, and she will either be a great enemy or a great friend. I only have to make it so.

I stand up and walk down the aisle until I am standing in the midst of House Macaster's clique. I hold myself up high, taking a deep breath, preparing to project my voice confidently, just like Father always did.

“I—I...” Unable to decide whether to trail off or stammer, my body apparently decides to do both. “Your hair is beautiful, L-Lady Talia. Moreso than Lady Gwendolyn's, I think. But I'm sure you already knew that.”

It's too late to retreat, so I just stand there trying not to cringe, hoping desperately that she appreciates the compliment, at least.

Rolling to Manipulate an NPC, 2d6-1=3
Marking XP for rolling Hot

Orbs fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 19, 2015

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Hot: -1 | Cold: 1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: 2
Exp: 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: The Toy Court | Conditions: None

Of course they wouldn't know, today was the Lughnasadh, obviously. I mean who can forget that it is the feast for the end of the months of fire?! I might huff and puff about it, but really it is a very pleasant holiday, with much feasting and drinking. At least for the commoners for someone like me, it is more solemn as we help Danu say farewell to her love, and greet the darkness with hardened hearts. Many rituals and prayers to be made for sure, but the best are the bonfires in the evening, I remember being able to dance around them in the evening and staying up all night with drink friends and gossip.

They are quite lovely, though now, I have to do a ritual in our sanctum, bare as the day I was born and give a fire rite to start the flame to protect us during the deadly winter. It is the first time and I am nervous about it, after all, Keelin has to be there as the Vates to the watcher, and the thought of disrobing in front of her hasn't lost its awkward edge that I assume it must as time goes on. She will be a Vates for a few years at least and this will be hardly the last ritual that we will have to do. I wish she was less formal and a little more receptive. I have to bite my tongue from hissing at her half the time as she tells me what a Seeker may and may not do.

I don't know, though I think I would like maybe Morgan if he would come to it, though, I-

This was the moment, I stopped thinking about the coming festival until the voices started to capture my attention, apparently led by Morgan himself. I gave a deep sigh and look over at the group of Sires. As if they could be call that? After all of this, she wasn't sure she wanted to see Morgan anywhere at all except maybe mopping a floor. I cleared my throat and tried to get Morgan's attention but, it was that moment that he decided to stand up and declare Karin behind me the most pretty around. I was right next to him and he didn't even have the graciousness to include me.

"Sire Morgan..." I started looking over him with blushing cheeks and almost a deathlike glare. "I am glad that Lady Karin has captured your attention." I said with a large amount of venom that could be stuffed into my tone.

"I was going to ask you if you were available to be my champion for the Melee, and perhaps partner for the dance. I understand though, if you would only want to go with the most beautiful woman." I said with a sarcastic and annoyed tone. "That is fine however, since you have been so unsightly in your conduct, I would be sure to let you go with someone more willing to overlook that." I said stiffly and looked away before turning back, "If you would like I would be more than happy to exchange seats if I am too unsightly for you." The fire in my eyes hopefully giving a hint to what Morgan was not to do.

Rolling to Shut Down Morgan. 2d6+1: 6 [2d6=1, 4]
+1 xp

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I blink in the glare of Eitna's anger. At first I'm bemused by her apparent jealousy of the much younger* Karin, but it soon dawns on me that her hurt, whatever the cause, is quite real.

"I'm sorry, my ladies," I say to Eitna and Priscilla. "It was a little shared jape with my friend's sister, that's all. I never intended to to imply that you were anything less than beautiful," which, looking from Priscilla to Eitna, is true, "or that beauty was but one of your many admirable qualities."

Ser Morgan turns her sad, sincere eyes to Eitna. "You have my full attention, Lady Brosnain."

Roll +Hot to Turn Eitna on: 2d6+1 8

*Well, to a 17 year old being 2-3 years younger is much younger

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Exp: 2/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: The Toy Court | Conditions: None

"I can see my harsh words were mistaken. For that I am sincerely sorry." I said my eyes slowly going up to his and then feeling like I was drifting into those large, wounded eyes of Morgans. I started breathing a bit faster and my blush turned more from a fiery red to a deep crimson. I hadn't noticed how attractive he was, and well, now I felt really bad about the outburst. "If you will forgive me, I would still love to acc-" I swallowed and received a smart kick from Keelin next to me a bat at her thigh with my hand. "-accompany you to the tournament. I did mean it when I had considered you to be my champion for it." I took Morgan's hand in mine and smiled.

"Of course, It would be poor manners to not invite you to my Manor to discuss the fine details." I couldn't think straight, and my heart was pounding, "Or perhaps even late dinner, I mean-" I realized that I was starting to sound desperate. "Of course, I understand if you have further obligations and even might have other-" I rambled, "-not to say you are a-" No no, I thought what the hell was I doing! This was a man that is it! "-You know what I mean. I just meant to say that you are invited of course."

At that point, I just gave up and and bit my lip with a smile while peering into those lovely eyes of his. Straightening my dress, I gave Morgan's hand a delicate pat while looking around at the others very self consciously.

Roll to counter turn on Morgan, 2d6-1: 4 [2d6=4, 1]
+1 exp
You might notice that is the exact same roll as before, even the dice numbers. Not using Orokos again :argh:
Eitna gives into Morgan, and tries clumsily invite him to her manor

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Hot +0 | Cold +1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +1
Exp: 0/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: The Fake Court | Conditions: None

Eight above, will the boy never shut up? I mean, I must admit: when first I arrived, and Fagin turned to converse with me, my heart did... flutter. A bit. He's quite handsome, after all, and archery isn't too terribly onerous a topic of discussion. He'd heard of my parents' gift to the King, and we spoke of an archery tourney that had taken place recently at Castle Brellig. It was refreshing to have a boy actually speak to me instead of staring at me (or worse, staring at other girls right in front of me).

But the minutes drag on. And on. And on. Our beloved Prince appears to be taking the day off, and after a few minutes my giddiness at Lord Brellig's attention wore away, to be replaced by an urgent need to be doing anything other than talking to him.

And Fagin shows no signs of letting up. I squirm; suddenly I can't look him the eye. But of course, when I look away, I get a pleasant view of, oh, what's his name, S-something, seated to my right. Where he has, I tell no lie, been playing with the rose in his eye-socket. It makes me cringe to even think about. Could... could it still bear thorns?? Eugggh...

"Lord Fagin," I interrupt him in the middle of a sentence, and give him a smile which hopefully doesn't look too wooden. "Have you perchance considered... which lady will have the pleasure of your company for the Princess's nameday dance?" I shall be honest: I'm not sure which answer I dread most. What if he asks me? Going with him would be quite the coup for me, socially speaking. An image constructs itself within my mind, unbidden: myself, with my hand upon his muscular arm as he leans down for a kiss. Ahem. Let us set that aside for now. But now that I have gotten over my initial joy, I find his sudden attention almost... suspicious. Why would he court me, rather than someone prettier, richer? My glance is drawn to the Macaster girl and her minions, giggling amongst themselves as rose-boy makes rather a feeble effort at flirting with them. Perhaps Lord Fagin has some sort of agenda of his own.

megane fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 19, 2015

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Exp: 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Prince's Court | Conditions: None

I turned my attentions from the cute nervous Anna, the action nearly instantly mimicked by my friends. The odd man with the rose in his eye was approaching, focusing on my handmaidens for now. Oh, he was clearly below what I would want for myself, but he could be entertaining - and my handmaidens would need escorts regardless, I could not have them lacking them. And he looked dashing enough holding himself so highly, so strongly and proudly.

And then the fool opened his mouth. Not only did he stutter like a fool, but he insulted Gwendolyn, to praise Talia? All at once, the gazes of the handmaidens turned steely - though Talia's was delayed ever so slightly compared to the others, and the sweetness of my voice, admittedly, became somewhat harsher, "You approach my friends hoping to charm them, and to do so you insult them?" Oh that would not do at all, I shook my head, "Perhaps you should remove that flower from where it rests, as it clearly has blinded you from seeing how tactless you truly are."

A turn up of my nose, I returned my attentions forward, towards the empty chair of the prince, "And perhaps once you have seen it and apologize, we might be willing to forgive. Until then, leave us be."

Shut Down, 8+2 = 10 Using Gang, forced to action via insults.
Applying Condition - Humiliated

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Exp: 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: The Prince's Court | Conditions: humiliated
Sylvius stands there so pathetically and awkwardly that many observers are moved to some degree of sympathy. Though his speech was certainly not the most charming, Cordelia's response seemed a bit harsher than they expected from the sweet young lady. He backs away slowly, bowing in an exaggerated fashion as he retreats, stumbling, to his seat.

Spending my String on Cordelia to reduce her roll to 9. I apply a condition to her as well, going with "not as nice as she thinks".

Orbs fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 19, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Levi Anguis
Hot +1 | Cold +2 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1

Casting my gaze around the room, I observe another day of the prince's court. Said prince has deigned to attend his own court, which is unsurprising. Lady Pernel looked distressed at being away from the prince for five minutes; also unsurprising.The Macaster and her cronies were descending upon Anna Lambrick like a pack of wild dogs; the poor girl won't know what hit her. And my sister has gotten into an argument with her neighbor over hair. Which is, again, unsurprising.

Lady Priscilla Darnell had managed to embarrass herself not too long ago with a ridiculously extravagant hairstyle, which is, I suspect, why Karin chose that particular topic. Her antics could be exasperating at times, and Darnell was too easy of prey for her anyway; every sentence about the importance of simplicity and subtle elegance was like a knife in the vain noble, under a guise of helpfulness and innocent interest in fashion. If I didn't know her better I'd believe it was legitimate. Really, I wouldn't contest the notion that Darnell deserved it, but it still wasn't the wisest course of action here. I lean over, about to interject before Priscilla loses her temper, when Ser Morgan turns around and praises Karin as the most beautiful lady in the court, which puts an end to that discussion far more effectively than I would have.

"Ah, well, dear sister, it seems you have an admirer," I say, as Karin descends into a fit of giggles, partially at the praise, and partially at Morgan's awkwardness. The knight really was not suited to the court (though his response to Eitna's outrage was considerably smoother; he was rather charming, at least). Poor Priscilla, meanwhile, was fuming now; her argument with Karin was bad enough, but my sister being praised over her, followed by Morgan's apology to ó Braonáin... It was not Lady Darnell's day.

I help my giggling sister back up into her seat, while Morgan and Eitna awkwardly flirt with each other. At least it wasn't boring, waiting for the prince.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Prince's Court - Scene 1 (cont)
Lady Rosamonde - Well Lady Eris doesn't seem to be your biggest fan. What do you think of your Prince's quiet adviser, anyways? Ser Tavros's words - and smile - are reassuring at least. Have you interacted with him much before? Lastly, from your position atop the dais, you can see Cordelia arguing with Slyvius. Worth trying to stop?

Ser Tavros - From your spot atop the dais, you can see that there seems to be some sort of (one-sided) confrontation occurring between Lord Sylvius and Lady Cordelia. Do you interfere? Sylvius may belong to a House that despises yours, but he looks so forlorn...

Lady Eris - A messenger enters the court then approaches you. Slipping a scrap of parchment (sealed by the Prince's signet) into your hand with all haste, the young man departs with nary a word. According to the message, he's busy "dispensing justice" and will be joining you momentarily. Do you inform the court, or keep this to yourself?

Prince Levi - Karin accepts your help, reclaiming her spot atop the pile of pillows while still watching Ser Morgan with quite the grin on her face. "He's your friend, right Levi?" She whispers to you, sounding excited. "You should make sure he accompanies me to the Princess' Nameday... Grandma would like that." He is a better match than she'd usually be able to hope for... but do you really want to mixup your friendship with your family?

If you agree to help Karin, take 1 Forward to convincing Ser Morgan to go with Karin.

Seeker Eitna - That went rather smoothly. If Ser Lyle hadn't restarted their conversation, things could've been awkward with Ser Morgan. Keelin smiles at you sympathetically, muttering. "Maybe he'll say yes, Seeker?" You can tell she doesn't think that's terribly likely. Behind you, Levi and Karin are whispering between themselves. What do you think of the pair of them, anyways?

Keelin gains a string on you.

Ser Morgan - Ser Lyle snickers mean-spiritedly; it's not at all like the amusing giggles of Lady Karin. "Commoners and children... you have a strange appetite, Morgan." His smirk could curdle milk, but no one but Vidar (who stopped laughing, but seems to be watching how you'll react) and yourself heard him. How do you respond?

Lady Cordelia - Your drama with Sylvius has earned the pair of you the attention of much of the court - certainly your half of it, at the very least. You see Gwen running a hand through her hair in your peripheral vision; she and your other Handmaidens are obviously irate with Slyvius, but are following your lead (for now). Anna seems to have leaned in as well, trying to appear mad (and only succeeding in looking like her corset is too tight.) Do you put him down further, or has he had enough?

Lord Sylvius - Cordelia and her followers tower before you, powerful and mighty, humiliating you in front of the entire court. The strong destroying the weak - the one constant of the world, right? Do you intend on cutting your losses, or are you going to stand up to her?

Lady Idren - His smile extends into a wolfish grin when you ask about his intentions for the Princess' Nameday. "Why, I'd hope to bring you my Lady." Extending a hand to you gently, he grins, very much the picture of a gallant knight. Everywhere but his eyes, anyways... there's something off about the way he's looking at you. Va Sira seems to be watching the pair of you with great interest, leaning forward in her seat but saying nothing. How do you respond?

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Exp: 2/5 | Harm 1/4 | Location: The Prince's Court | Conditions: humiliated, delusional

“This is always the way of things, isn't it?” I mutter quietly. My eyes drill into the floor, and I set my jaw, half out of determination, half in an attempt to keep my ugliest emotions from surfacing. “Someone weak dares to even approach someone of wealth and power, and they must immediately be smacked down for the indiscretion. You put on a sweet face here in Court, but don't think I don't see what you're really doing, who you really are. What did I ever do to you!? Why did you have to hurt me for it!?”

My voice has been steadily increasing in volume, and now it echoes in the hall. Heedless of the compounding humiliation, I continue shouting.

“There is no end to the ugly pettiness here! Just wait. I'm going to join the tournament and show you. I'm going to show you all!”

I use Unresolved Trauma, getting a 7.
!roll 2d6+2
<Krymsbot>Klingon, 5+2=7
Marking xp for rolling Dark
I give Cordelia and Talia the Blamed condition, and I choose to take one Harm and gain the Delusional condition in exchange.

EDIT: It was pointed out to me that Cordelia has The Shield move, reducing my roll by one. So I tap her "not as nice as she thinks" condition to even it out.

Calming down slightly, I suddenly feel a hot wetness on my face. I put my fingers up to it and they come away stained with dark blood. The wound has opened again. All over again I can feel the blade plunging into my skull, I can hear my mother screaming, I can see my father desperately trying to fight off our attackers, I can feel someone clinging to my hand and begging me to live as everything goes dark...

I stare at Lady Cordelia and her... friends as I pant and fume. But they don't look like themselves at all. They look like my murderers.

I finally stalk back to my place on the bench, not bothering to bow this time.

Orbs fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 20, 2015

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Exp: 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Prince's Court | Conditions: not as nice as you think

As this lesser man ranted at me, I could do little other than roll my eyes at it. My hand went to rest on Talia's shoulder, another onto Diana's as I watched with narrowed eyes as a dark red liquid began to pool from under the man's rose, as he began to drip the disgusting blood of a fool around him.

A deep breath was all I needed as I turned towards the Prince's seat, but instead ceased with my eyes turned to look over the Kingsguard, Tavros, my old friend. "Ser Lanser, I realize the court is not yet even in session and yet a scene has been caused, but it appears that his ravings have opened an old wound of some such, and he is bleeding. Might I request you or a guard escort him out, and deal with this wound? It would be quite horrible should it become infected or is worse than expected."

My voice had the sweetness from before, but tinged with a bit of my annoyance. Despite the annoyance though, I smiled to my old friend, "It would not be proper for the Prince to keep court with someone who bleeds still."

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Is this truly what my morning is starting off like? Eight curse you twice, Tormas, I lament as the scene unfolds. I glance to Eris, opposing me, but she seems not to offer me any reprieve. I'm not sure what Lady Cordelia spoke to Lord Sylvius, but it seems to have had quite the effect on him. Strange; I'd always believed her to be quite even-tempered. What could she possibly say that would cause such upset?

Without our dear Prince present, there really is no reason for me to be sitting at attention, and Cordelia has a point. I feel for the young man -- I've never reacted well towards being slighted, either -- but this certainly is not the place. Fortunate is he that the Prince wasn't present to witness his outburst.

I hold my tongue against inquiring what the Lady spoke, instead voicing my assent. "Of course, Lady Macaster," I say reflexively. I straighten my tunic, rising from my seat and stepping behind Eris and off the dais. At least Sylaster is towards the rear; it should be little trouble to walk him from the room without further incident. I bow my head to the upset Lord -- our families may have fought in years past, but I can hope he's not the sort to be petty and hold it against me.

"Shall we walk, Lord Lothier?" I ask gently. I'm not chiding him for causing a scene -- I'm helping him. Does it come across that way? I can hope.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Exp: 2/5 | Harm 1/4 | Location: The Prince's Court | Conditions: humiliated, delusional

I jump as someone addresses me. I turn toward them, ready to run, but I stop when I see who it is: my older brother Logan, returned from his hunting trip and smiling like the proud young lad he is.

"Of course, brother," I say. "Thank the gods you're here. We should get away from here before they get us too."

I wipe the disgusting blood off on my sleeve, thankful that it has stopped flowing. My face is most likely still messy and gross, but I can't do anything about it as yet. Perhaps my brother and I could find a wash basin somewhere.

"If you know of a safe place we can retreat to, please lead the way, brother."

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Exp: 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: The Toy Court | Conditions: None

Feeling pleased with the trust that Tormas places in her, Eris suppresses a knowing smile as she witnesses the chaos unfolding below her. The petty backbiting she expected, the outburst, though…

Given what she knows about Sylvius, she suspects that his…condition has something to do with it. The man (or what was once a man, she corrects herself) would really need to learn to control his temper better, if he were to last in the Prince's Court. Eris herself suspected that she could find an array of uses for one with his particular…talents, so it was in her interest (as well as Sylvius's) to ensure that he remained in the Prince's good graces. Perhaps it was fortunate that the Prince was delayed by his need to "dispense justice" instead of present to witness the shameful display here.

Descending from the dais, she declares to Sylvius, consolingly but firmly, "Such outbursts are unseemly for one who attends upon royalty, my lord. No matter how ugly or petty the provocation." She punctuates this last statement with a pointed glance at Cordelia and her hangers-on.

As she progresses toward the back of the room, she calls to mind the many twisted -- and ultimately, successful -- schemes that her dear Mother effected against her enemies, especially those that unfolded over years or decades. After all, those who live for uncountable generations feel no compulsion to hurry their devious plans to fruition. With numerous joyously dark memories of the fall of the d'Montaignes enemies to choose from, she knows just what to say to sulking Lord.

But first, as she passes Ser Tavros, she whispers, "The Prince will be joining us momentarily. Stand ready." And then, loudly enough for all to hear, "If you will permit me, Ser...?"

Withdrawing a silken square from a pocket of her gown she steps past Tavros to offer it to Sylvius, reaching almost tenderly toward his eye socket. Using the excuse to come sufficiently close to him to avoid being overheard, she adds, sotto voce, "Vengeance is a crop best harvested when it is ripe, not before. The greater grace you show to your foes now, the more sure their final downfall. For now, best to show a face of contrition, and save the face of terror for a more opportune time."

En passant, Shutting Cordi Down: 2d6+2 8. Cordi gets the Condition: Petty, while I receive the Condition…?
Rolling Dark to offer The Wisdom of the Ancients to Sylvius: Dark Thoughts: 2d6+2 8.
The visions are lucid and detailed, but Sylvius takes a string on me. Perhaps I'm a little bit more ruthless and vindictive than he previously appreciated…
Edit: Making use of Sylvius's Condition: Humiliated, and also spending a String on him (my advice hinges on knowing he's an immortal ghost, after all) to turn the result into a 10.
The visions heal Sylvius; he may remove the Condition: Delusional.
The visions show what Sylvius must do; he carries 1 forward when engaged in an act of vengeance against his enemies.

Also, marking XP for rolling Dark.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 20, 2015

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Lady Eitna is half-way through somewhat awkwardly accepting my own awkward apology before it dawns on me what's happening, and I curse inwardly. This happens every single time I'm nice to a girl... and also that one time with Ser Lawrence. It's the curse of my secret. As a woman I'd be, at best, plain -- no tits, no hips, broad shoulders, and an overly generous helping of the Wick jawline. Okay, pretty eyes, admittedly, but that's the lingering Eastern blood -- but as a lissome young man I have this effect on some people. One of life's little jokes.

I start to think of a way to refuse without causing any further offense, and then... I don't. Instead, I briefly entertain the notion. Flame-kissed hair, emerald eyes. A lady's favor on my helm. It isn't as if anything more could ever happen, given who and what I am. "Thank you for the invitation, my lady," I say, with all the calm politeness I can scrape together. "It's very... generous. We should discuss it later, when there are fewer listening ears." I smile, and turn back, right into Ser Lyle's smirk.

And like that, the warmth runs out of my body. I listen to him speak, blinking once. Then I drop my hand to the hilt of my sword, not gripping it or preparing to draw, just letting one fingertip touch the pommel of Fuerschien. The crossguard, hilt, and pommel are the work of the family smiths; gold-inlaid steel in the candle-flame design of our house, with the family crest worked into the center of a pommel the shape of a burning flame, so that I often use it instead of a signet ring to seal documents. The blade itself, concealed within a modestly adorned sheathe, is more than a thousand years old. The First Men forged it ten centuries before the coming of the Malbrechts. The ancients knew how to fold iron around impossible materials: fire, ice, blood, shadow, and more. My blade, "Firelight", has living embers folded into the pattern of its steel. There are only a few dozen blades of the First Men left in the eight kingdoms, and my family owns one. It is the symbol of our status, and of the burden laid on us by Strassler the Mighty. And if I draw it, here, people will die. Including, probably, me; but I won't be alone.

I let Lyle's attention fall on the blade and then I meet his eyes. "Yes, Ser Lyle. Being kind to women is one of my funny little ways." I cock my head and keep my voice quit enough that it doesn't pass beyond the three of us. "In fact, I can be nice to whomever I want. You might say that it's my right and privilege to do so. But I wouldn't expect you to understand that. Did you have any more comments you'd like to add?"

Not trying to shut Lyle down; I'm giving him the option to escalate, in fact.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Rosemonde Pernel

Tavros' assurances receive a gracious smile, and the faint hint of coloring at my cheeks. He's quite the gallant and handsome knight, and if his brother in arms is even half the man he is, then my prince surely must be safe. "Thank you Sir, I'll rest easily knowing he's under the protection of such gallant knights."

I'm not entirely sure how to take Lady Eris' comment, so turning to her I put on a gracious smile, remembering my mothers words that a lady's mask is courtesy, and shake my head politely. "No, I'm sure you're right, I'm sure whatever his grace would put only the most important matters ahead of his court. No need to pester him." The woman herself, well... She seems to have provided My Prince with the good council before, but I don't like the idea of another woman having his ear. Still, I'm willing to look past that, especially if she happens to have information about him on that letter she just received. I move forward to ask her about the contents of the note, but before I can she heads down off the dais with Sir Tavros to deal with the mess below. Irritated, I withdraw into my seat, clutching the brooch again and waiting for my prince.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

"He might." I whispered back quickly to Keelin sitting in the chair next to me. Doubt had already filled my mind, but his mostly positive reply was enough to set angels through my ears and a uncontrollable smile on my face. "I agree of course, and would be delighted to have your company." I add to the delay, I knew it was warranted, but it was still positive. This was totally unlike me, never before had a man managed to strike and effect me so strongly. It was somewhat discouraging to me, in my heart of hearts, but right now it just felt so drat good. I couldn't explain it. Either way, I looked away from those amazing eyes and toward his former 'paramour.'

Levi was there again, and I thought to myself, Levi once again watches over something I am doing. What is his game. Levi was a mystery to me, though he had seen me take a dagger from Morgan's belongings, he hadn't told him either, or maybe Levi had and that was the cause of more of the affection that I received than my comment deserved. This gave me a thought, I should give Morgan a token of my gratitude. That would have to wait till later, but I suspected that Morgan would find a ribbon of mine a good present. It would have to be done later, as currently he appeared to be challenging his lecherous friends.

A duel from my champion would be most delightful!

I looked back to Levi and measured my thoughts, someone who had so many secrets of mine should at least have a talking too, despite my misgivings and my unfamiliarity of the house, someone who keeps their ear to the ground could be useful. Of course depending how he was going use the information he had. I would need a token from Levi for sure, obtaining one would be necessary.

Leaning over to Keelin, I whispered softly, "What do you know of Levi? Do you think he is a threat?" I ask with hushed tones, I knew enough from my training that kindness and the appearance of leniency rarely is the case when coming to politics.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 20, 2015

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Exp: 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Prince's Court | Conditions: not as nice as you think, petty, blamed

I stared at the so called 'adviser' as she insulted me in front of the court, a sweet smile on my face still as I took the insult without any real response until it was done, before quietly replying, "Perhaps someone who hopes to give counsel to the prince but rushes to judgement is ill-fit for their duties, Madam d'Montaingne. Perhaps next time you will think to hear more, before you gain a reputation for poorly informed advice." Perhaps some might call me petty for biting back, but I kept my sweet smile up, as I took the bait.

Applying Condition - Unfit For Duty to Eris

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 20, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Brother? I school my expression. Before I can make enough sense of it to respond, Lady Eris is there. So quick to insult, she, and intervening before I can truly offer aid to the young Lord. I stand down at her beck, though I am ... displeased about it, to phrase it mildly. I had things handled, before the woman sought to draw further ire from Cordelia and her folk. I strain my ears to hear what she's whispering, but to my frustration I can't make it out.

I give all three a wearied look (though less Sylvius; he seems in rather a state), and speak quietly to Lady Eris. "Pray stay your tongue, milady; it seems the damage dealt here was already quite enough." My annoyance seeps into my tone, lending it an unintended harshness. Why couldn't she have let me keep the situation in hand? I know where I stand, but she had no place to undermine me here.

Shut Down Eris 2d6-1 7
Choosing "we each lose a string on one another".

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I stare into Fagin's eyes, trapped. "I... I..." Curse it, I thought I could be so clinical about this! The Ren Miran girl is looking right at me as I stammer; I feel a puppet on a stage. I should say yes, it's obvious. And yet -- something is wrong. His eyes belie his seeming sincerity; there is more behind his words than a simple dance. Thinking of it in this way brings my wayward thoughts back into focus. And luckily there is a sudden commotion, almost a fight -- the perfect distraction. I feign shock at rose-boy's outburst, then lean closer to Faris, as though unsettled. "I should be honored, my lord -- but perhaps we ought speak on it later? Say... at sunset, in the Sky Garden?" That should give me time to collect my thoughts and perhaps discern something of his true intentions.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Levi Anguis

I consider my sister's request; on the one hand, Morgan is several years older than her, and given Ser Lyle's apparent reaction to what he said earlier my friend might not be open to inviting more of the same. Then again, he is a good catch, I certainly trust him more than I would most people with my sister, and lastly, perhaps being paired with him might make Karin less likely to cause mischief during the dance; while she likes Zyra and thus would not intentionally cause her trouble, when she gets bored she can be something of a nuisance. "Well, I'll talk to him about it. After the court, though; he seems preoccupied at the moment," I whisper back to her.

I'm about to say something else when there's the outburst from the rows opposite the ones we're in. As Lothier and Macaster argue and the former seems to start bleeding (is that rose truly in his eye? I had assumed it was some sort of eye patch; rumors said he had lost his eye, but putting an actual rose in there is a... Rather macabre fashion statement), the rest of the room seems to focus on them as well. As those on the dais step down to go deal with him, he thinks. Well, at least Karin's mischief hasn't caused trouble like that so far.

Failing Dynasty, I get +1 forward to helping Karin's request, she gets one string on me. Fun.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Prince's Court - Scene 1 (cont)
Lady Rosemonde - The doors to the court open up, and your heart starts to beat faster? Is it your ~prince~, finally?

Ser Tavros - Argument seemingly over due to your intervention - no thanks at all to Eris - you retake your place on the dais just in time for the doors to open and in to walk...

Lady Eris - Advice imparted, you carefully stride past Cordelia and her minions back to your righftul place atop the dais. Looking towards the main doors, as if on cue, walks...

Prince Levi - Karin beams at you, either pleased at the prospect of going with Ser Morgan or that you accepted her request so readily. Before you can continue your discussion, though, the doors open and in comes...

Seeker Eitna - "Isn't his family cursed?" Keelin asks, looking at you with a genuine desire to know. Do you think they are? Before you can answer her, though...

Ser Morgan - "It was just a jape; lighten up, eh Wick?" That smirk's still there, but there's fear in his eyes now. He definitely doesn't have a magic sword. Before more can be said, though...

Lady Cordelia - Your Handmaidens are all atwitter with harsh mutterings, and you can tell that Diana is seconds away from storming after either Eris or Sylvius. Before she can, however...

Lord Sylvius - "The Princess's party... won't she be there?" That said, she departs. Lady Eris's words have certainly calmed you, given you something to think about. You're no longer in your home were you ever?, you're at Centerstone, and look who's arrived...

Lady Idren - He readily accedes to your request, "Of course, my Lady. I'll just look about for the most beautiful flower in the garden." Well isn't he the charmer. It looks like he's about to add something, but he's interrupted by the arrival of...

The Prince!

Tormas Malbrecht, The Manticore Prince

Striding into the room with a magnificently made sword - fresh with blood - in hand, Prince Tormas seems to be in excellent spirits. Smiling contentedly at his courtiers, he walks towards Lady Rosemonde and his throne. Blood occasionally drips off the weapon he continues to hold, even as he steps up to the dais and sits down. He rests it in his lap, staring at it for a second or two longer than any of you (except perhaps Rosemonde) are comfortable with, then looks up as if he's snapped back into reality.

While a squire pours him wine, he breaks the silence. "No formalities today, they're boring. The first thing we'll be discussing is the Northhills." He ponders his own words for a moment, then amends them. "Well, the rest of them, not Lord Northhill. He was a traitor, what should be done with his family?!"

He leans in, seemingly very interested in the advice all of you have to offer. As if to accentuate his point, the Northhills - the ones in the capital anyways - have been brought in. Two boys, maybe eight and six, and what must have been his wife. They look, uh, grief stricken's a polite way of saying it. Lucky for all of you they're wise enough to keep their sobs quiet. What fate do the traitors deserve?

PRINCE'S COURT, Scene 1 (cont)
Lady Rosemonde - Your sweet prince is so wise, letting the rest of the court offer counsel so he can ferret out potential traitors. What did he whisper to you before he sat down? What advice will you give him? Those two children are staring right at you, you can feel it.

Prince Levi - Well won't your Aunt Naja be pleased. If the Northhill gets destroyed root and stem, she inherits their estate - due to quite a few complicated agreements and some three hundred year old claims on it. Do you try and seal their fate?

Lady Eris - The Prince clearly wants them dead, if you advised him to do it - assured him of it's justness and legality - perhaps you'd be rewarded? Why is the Prince in charge of this, shouldn't this be the Regent's job?

Lord Tavros - If he commands you to kill them, will you? Is there anything you can do to help, or does duty compel you to stay silent?

Lady Cordelia - The Northhills are Macaster vassals, even if they used to be Anguis. One of the many gifts you inherited from that wretched family. Does this reflect poorly on your house? Is it your obligation to try and see her spared?

Lord Sylvius - Not again. Not before your eyes. Can you save them? Is it worth trying, given your humiliation before the court? You might be next, after all...

Lady Idren - Say what you will about "commoners", but they wouldn't do this. Do you happen to have read anything that might save them? Some obscure law or rite? Do you even care to try? Fagin doesn't seem too bothered by the proceedings, by the way.

Ser Morgan - How horrifying. As if those children could have had any part in treachery, real or imagined. How had you known Lord Northhill? Did he deserve his fate?

Lady Eitne - The Northhills... ah! They somehow managed to finagle an estate in High Town despite their lack of prestige and coin. What game did you play with those two boys while you were disguised as a page? What token did one of them let you keep?

Rauri fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 20, 2015

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Exp: 2/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: The Toy Court | Conditions: Unfit for Duty

Eris puts on a confused look before responding. "My dead Lady Macaster," she begins, "you misapprehend me." Playing the aggrieved party as well as she is able, she continues, "Of course I intended no judgement of your sterling and impeccable character. I was merely encouraging Lord Lothier that, even should he seem justified in such a response, it were still better to rise above any perceived insult than to reduce oneself to the baser level of another."

Facing Cordelia from the dais, she continues, "As for your concern for my reputation: I thank you humbly for so obviously having my best interests at heart; I shall take your wisdom under advisement." Just then, the doors are opened, and she finishes dramatically, "Fortunately, there is only one whose opinion of my fitness for duty matters, and I serve at His pleasure. The Words of my House, Duty Beyond Death, might just be words to you, but they are the reason I and all my family exist."

Going for conciliatory here; not gonna keep digging two graves unless Cordi wants to keep at it. But even moreso I'm timing my response just right so that Tormas enters on cue (with a bloody sword, no less!) as I make my "heartfelt" profession of loyalty: Manipulating Tormas's Opinion of Eris: 2d6+1 11. No matter what scurrilous rumors he might hear, I am assured that he perceives the truth. Or, well, "truth", anyway.
Marking experience for Hot.

The kids and the widow can wait. Let's see what the others say, and then I'll pick what the best advice is -- or offer my own, if all the rest seem lacking.
As for where the Regent is in all this, maybe he's finally realized that it's time for the Prince to start exercising his own authority? In any case, that is a subsidiary question that can be addressed once the matter at hand is resolved.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 20, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Levi Anguis

As the prince walks in, I turn, standing and showing the appropriate respect; loathsome as I may find Tormas, I have to keep up appearances.

As he begins talking, I am quickly reminded why I feel that way towards him. Executing the man's wife, I could see perhaps; she could be a collaborator. The children, though... Their deaths may stand to benefit my aunt, but this does not sit right with me. Among other things, blaming the children for the actions of their parents is something of a miniature version of what faces my family today.

Before this goes any further, I speak up, looking at the prince and standing. "Your Grace, before we proceed, could we perhaps be told what the exact charges against them are? We cannot make a judgment if we do not know the crime." I manage to keep my voice level throughout that, despite my displeasure with the whole situation. I note the bloody sword that he's carried in; he probably handled the execution personally. I wouldn't be surprised if he made the wife and children watch. And now he's brought that thing here, showing it off to all of us.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

"He came at me with a sword this morning." The Prince declares defiantly, as if challenging you to say otherwise.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Exp: 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Prince's Court | Conditions: not as nice as you think, petty, blamed

I didn't even have time to respond to the adviser's comments when the prince comes in, wielding a bloodied blade. At that I already had to frown, already expecting the worst of the prince even on the bests of days. As he looked over me I, of course, made a charming smile towards him, once his gaze was off me though, my frown quickly returned, and I whispered towards Gwendolyn, "I hope what he has done isn't too bad..." receiving a nod from the still angry, but now creeped out woman.

And then the prince spoke. Our vassals dragged from those worthless Anguis, with their horrible forked tongues and lack of any sense, traitors? Ugh, I wish I could say it wasn't true, that they wouldn't do that, but unfortunately there had been some rumblings of the Lord having ambitions beyond his own - my father simply assumed it was meant to target him, not the King or Prince.

Cordelia took a sharper breath as the two young boys were brought into the court, at the obvious question being asked - 'Shall I execute the children?'. She looked to Talia, taking another sharp breath as she noticed how the woman held her hands closed, knuckles turned white. I leaned in towards her, whispering again, "We will not allow a tragedy to happen today, Talia. I promise you that."

It didn't take a moment longer for me to stand, looking towards the Prince, giving a pleasent smile, "My Liege, I am pleased to see you caught such a traitor, and do expressly apologize for any distress caused by such." It was a simple placation, and I gulped as I glanced towards the terrified children again, I could almost feel my heart dropping as the little tears welled up and ran down their faces, "I would like to simply state that, while the Lord Northhill was obviously of poor character, I have visited his family many times in my life with my father, and they have always been exemplary vassals, paying their taxes on time, with wealthy lands. While this, obviously, does not excuse treasonous behavior, might I suggest a sparing of the Lord's family? In times such as this, vassals who understand how to properly pay their taxes and keep their land under control are quite valuable...

I trailed off for a few moments, and Gwendolyn quickly popped up, looking almost as if she was going to cry, her heart much easier to pull at than my own, "They are children, my Liege. While their father ma- was clearly of bad intention." she paused midway, as I shot a look towards her, "There's not reason the children would follow suit, c-could you not..." That stutter of hers... she gets that when my brothers come up as well, a fear of death and the dead, Perhaps... send them to mlady's family, so they could be... educated and raised properly, and not by a... violent deviant?"

She looked at me, as if searching for if that was alright to ask, but all I could do was nod. Talia stood beside me still, nails practically digging into the skin on her palms as she finally opened her mouth voice coldly calm despite her nervous exterior, [b]"My liege, in sparing them would you not prove yourself a truly benevolent and glorious King?"

I let out a sigh, even as I inwardly cringed at that argument, but I sat back down without another word, pulling Gwendolyn and Talia back to their own seats.

3+3 = 6 Failed to manipulate the Prince

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I am immediately regretting my desire for Tormas' presence. If this is what was keeping him...

Such a bloodthirsty little man my Prince be. Legally, he's fully within his rights to do as he pleases, if he speaks true (and to doubt him would invite the selfesame accusal). I could be ordered to put them to the sword. Here. In front of the Gods and my countrymen -- my friends. It is a duty I bear with nominal pride; inside, I quaver at the thought of it. I've yet to strike down a man -- and these are women and children.

There would be no honour or reason in their deaths, but I daren't speak it. Not with a grin so manic twisting his features; with a bloodlust unsated by his morning's activities, whatever they may have been. I can't. I ought to but I can't and I also can't look apologetic about it, not in front of witnesses and the Prince Himself; sympathy would be a sign of disloyalty, of weakness.

I am the Sword of my Prince. I will do as I am bidden. This mantra I repeat in my mind, letting the shape of the words cloud my vision and mask my face. I will do as I am bidden. I will do as I am bidden.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Rosemonde Pernel
Exp: 2/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Prince's Court | Conditions: None

Though distracted by the fluttering of my heart as My Prince enters the hall, I manage to notice the blood on his sword. Lady Eris was right after all, he was dealing with far more important matters than just the silly cases of whatever was planned to be before us in court today. An execution! I rise with the others, but when the Prince leans over to me and whispers to me how lovely I look this morning, the beating of my heart nearly makes me forget to seat myself after he has. Luckily, my legs feel a little weak from happiness, so I practically fall backwards into the chair again.

Watching him from my seat next to him as he stares at the bloody blade of his sword, I can feel my heart going out to him. He is putting on a mask of strength and good spirits, but I can tell that the heavy toll of taking the life of a man, even a traitors, is weighing on his noble soul. I completely fail to stifle a gasp was he proclaims the foul treason committed against him, but manage to hold myself back from checking him for wounds in front of the court. My sweet prince...

Leaning over across my seat, I tank his hand gently in mine and give it a squeeze, speaking to him in a low, private voice as the others make a poor speech pleading for the lives of the children. "Stay strong my Prince. The wife is likely complicit, but I know your noble heart will see a way to give the poor children a chance to restore the honor of their house."

Turn on the Prince (+1 for winning my ~true loves~ favor)
[23:53] godfish !r 2d6+3
[23:53] Krysmbot godfish, 11+3 = 14
Marking experience for rolling hot and ignoring a blatant problem with my prince~

GodFish fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 20, 2015

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Fagin vanishes from my thoughts in an instant as the Prince enters. Blood. I wet my lips; while everyone else stares at the Prince's gore-caked sword, I'm watching them, measuring their reactions. Our resident Kingsguard seems like to have an apopleptic fit on the spot, but holds his tongue. Good dog, I think -- no, that's petty of me. He does his duty, as is his way. And in this case his duty is to watch as the Prince does what he will, I suppose.

But the Geese will have none of it, and leap to the poor innocents' defence. Noble of them. Indeed, is it not noble of one to try and fail? They overrule one another, and the Prince seems more bewildered than swayed.

As they return to their seats, I offer a commiserating whisper (dredging my memory to remember her name -- I can never tell them apart). "That was truly a good thing you tried to do, dear... Cordelia. If this should take a tragic turn... we shall know that you did what you could to prevent it. None could blame you." ...curses, that didn't sound altogether sincere, did it. Mother does say I must work harder on concealing my sarcasm.

Of course, I have read the precise law that governs such cases. Obviously the King may do as he wishes, but the Code is meant to give guidance, and clearly states that blood relatives of a traitor shall be granted impunity, notwithstanding their connection to the guilt party, so long as they themselves were no party to it. The intent being that such relatives will not feel in danger if they testify against their wayward kin, I suppose. In other words, it would be a gross dereliction of long-standing legal precedent to execute the wife and children before us.

I do not mention the above. Let the cards fall where they may.

Turn on Cordelia: 2d6+1 6 tagging blamed. Should be a 5 though because I forgot the Shield.

megane fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 20, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Levi Anguis

Of course he did, I think to myself. The prince obviously wasn't telling the truth, or at least the whole truth. However, his attitude makes it clear that any further inquiry there will be punished; I've seen him in this sort of mood before. His "I am the king" mood. The brat.

Before I can say more, however, the Macaster girl speaks up. She's arguing for the lives of her (our, my) vassals, and unfortunately, she doesn't seem to be doing a good job of convincing the prince. If anything, he might take pleasure in crushing her hopes. This is likely to end in blood.

Perhaps I can stop it, though, and even come out with something to show for it. "Well, your Grace, you say their father tried to slay you out of the blue? This sounds like a crime of passion, or another spur of the moment thing. His family's being here supports this; if you are planning regicide, you don't leave your loved ones where they can potentially suffer for it.

"I doubt the family has any connection to this beyond being related to the man; they clearly have no knowledge of what happened and were not involved in any way, at least as I see it. Even if you see fit to punish them, I cannot support execution; a fine, or the loss of their titles, perhaps, but slaying the sons for the sins of the father is unjust." I finish what I'm saying, hoping to influence Tormas to spare their lives, and perhaps still get my aunt her lands. When I look into the prince's eyes, however, I can see that my words did not reach him, at least not in the way I had hoped.

Failing Dynasty, taking +1 forward to attempts to advance the family's interests, auntie Naja gets a string on Levi.

Manipulate an NPC: 2d6+2 = 4. Wow. I don't even get XP for that because Hot isn't highlighted for me.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Exp: 2/5 | Harm 1/4 | Location: The Prince's Court | Conditions: humiliated

No. I will not let this stand. The Prince himself killing a whole family? My head is still somewhat clouded, but I can see the wrongness of this action as clear as day. He is just like those butchers from House Lanser—present company excluded, of course. Unless Lord Tavros actually carries out the command? Oh no. His face looks so firm and steely. Please tell me it's just an act. And after I confused him with my brother too. This is so mortifying.

Though I must say I admire Lady Cordelia even more for making such a plea for their lives. Maybe I was wrong to lash out at her like that...

Anyway, yes. I will not let this stand.

“My Prince, are you a butcher?” I ask, trying to seem calm as my heart rages. Lady Eris' kind words helped banish the immediate darkness, but the deeper one still lingers. “Do you dare to stain your hands with the blood of children? Gods and men alike will judge you harshly if you order this. They will send a curse to haunt you for the rest of your days. I would not want to see such a tragedy befall you, my liege.”

Rolling to shut the Prince down

<Krysmbot> Klingon, 9+1=10
Choosing to gain a string on him

Orbs fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 20, 2015

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I almost physically brush Ser Lyle aside as the prince enters. All i can see is the bloody sword. I stand by in horror as the tableau plays out before me, with nobles jockeying for position. Most, I note, seem to be trying to spare the family, albeit... obliquely.

The Northills. Rodney's training, drilled into me at age eight, brings up the pertinent facts of their heraldry, land, and holdings, but it seemed meaningless here and now. I belatedly recall meeting the lord Northill once; it was at my tourney. I remember a big, middle-aged man, just going soft in the gut, congratulating me on my victory and then becoming nostalgic for all the tourneys he fought in when he was my age. Could he be a traitor? Well, yes. Anyone could; that's why they were called traitors. But attacking the prince...? I picture the Lord Northill, an aging knight, and then i pictured the Prince, whose swordsmanship had always been lackluster and for show, because he always demanded to win all his duels. If Lord Northill had come for the prince unguarded, we'd now have a dead prince. But if he had attacked the prince while the Kingsguard was present... they would have butchered him. Why would anyone do that? It made no sense.

I stare at the family. They don't have many options. Despite how the others are acting, the Prince is no King, and even the King can't do whatever he likes; any highborn has the sacred right to demand a trial. But here and now, any trial by peerage would be a farce, and no one would defend them in a trial by combat knowing that they would face the best of the Kingsguard. If the Prince pushes it, the family is doomed. But the children.

I don't remember moving. All I know is that suddenly, I'm standing in front of the children, open-handed and unarmed, facing the king. "Your Grace..." Suddenly, I need to find words. I have no plan. "They are children, your Grace."

Holding Steady: 2d6-1 4 Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

"If they aren't they will be soon, with all the things they have been watching" I whispered back to Keelin. I wasn't sure if they were haunted exactly, I had heard rather juicy rumors to the fact, but who can believe some of the tales that are told. Something about a dark strain among the family, and the birth of monster? It seems just insane to me. I thought about it a little bit and was about to open my mouth when the prince came into the room with a new kill on his scabbard.

I listened to the rather flawed if well reasoned argument that Lady Cordelia put forth to the court and nodded my head. My Champion Morgan appeared to falter at the gaze of the king and that seemed to be almost a cruel failing of his sex. Men and their fear can conquer all of people, it was time to stand and it was time to show the truth liege I possessed. Despite the blush still fresh on my cheek, I stood before the entire court.

"Lady Cordelia, thank you for the impassioned plea and rightly so. I feel prince they should be spared, but I would not want to let even the chance that your person be harmed. After all, they are young and the mother distraught as she has every right to be. Though you might have given them justice, I and my house have stood behind you and your line as your protector, and your fiercest ally. Please let us take this burden from your shoulders my prince." I curtsy slightly to the price and nodded to the others. "My house will take them to our manor where they will live until they are transported back to my Erie. They will be taught and provided for in comfort for all of their life and their line. If they swear that will do the prince nor your long line that is sure to come, harm. We will take this line that had fallen to traitors my Lord and turn it into another of your greatest and dearest ally. I feel that this would just serve yourself, the crown and also justice, my Lord." I gave another this time very formal curtsy to the prince and then stat back down.

Leaning over to Morgan, I patted his hand tenderly. The poor man seemed dumbstruck by all of this, and I had to admit it was shocking. The Northhills had been friends to me as my other self, as a page we had played many game of knight, king, rogue. Also enacted many great stories of bravery and sacrifice as knights and warriors among the evil doers. I enjoyed the games they reminded me of being a child and they seemed to give me a chance to be closer to a real person. No longer among them in their games, the descendant of a goddess, but rather a person.

I would use all of my power and sway to make sure they lived.
I thought of the time I had taken from the eldest. It was a present, a metal carving knife he had used to make his younger bother toys. The insignia proudly on the blade of the Northhills.

Rolling to manipulate the Prince: <Axphone> !roll 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Axphone, 8-1 = 7
Success! Come on lets save those kids

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 20, 2015

• Locked thread