Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I haven't played in a while but I would like to play Mafia again.

EDIT: You're the guy who reminded me that Mafia exists a month ago, so hey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Hi guys, hows it going? I'm playing Mafia now.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

That is to say, I am playing the game Mafia now, not that I am playing a member of the eponymous Mafia.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

quick which TF2 classes are evil is soldier one

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Epsilon Plus posted:

Confirmed.

So I guess this is the only game where a policy lunch D1 would be acceptable?

A policy lunch sounds delicious

##vote Subway

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

CapitalistPig posted:

Nope

also apparently i'm subway?

Well I'm not eating you

##unvote

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I really appreciate the people telling us what their item was because I bet this will be useful later for figuring out who is scum/who is an important town role (depending on which team I'm on)

I don't trust rocket launcher guy

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

YEAH WELL WE DON'T KNOW EACH OTHER

HI I'M GILOK

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I'm high strung

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

##vote no lynch

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

That's an unfortunate role to lose night one.

So hm, two arsonists? An arsonist who can douse two people? Either one is kind of...huh.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Peta posted:

Arson is my dream crime

That's a suspicious thing to say :raise:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

CapitalistPig posted:

lol from what?

I just said rocket launcher on d1 because I thought I might be a jester (im not) and I was trying to get lynched (Im glad I wasnt)

Why a rocket launcher?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Well it's not is an FPS protagonist weapon.

You sure called yourself out posting that. I kinda wonder if you are a jester, or maybe you want us to think you are.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

OK, I'll do my best.

Nobody was paying any attention to you or asking you about your rocket launcher. So you posted "hey guys I lied about something and I want to call your attention to it! I sure am glad there are no mafia catch phrases about behavior towards liars! I'm doing something stupid but I'm totally not a jester and it's totally safe to lynch me!"

So I guess either your a jester, you're a dumb townie, or you're genius scum.

I'm not actually sure I have a point. I guess I'm not voting for you right now?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

gently caress it I'm going to bed

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

EXAKT Science posted:

Hi everyone!

##vote Gilok

Wow, rude.

EXAKT Science posted:

Yeah so why not vote?

Also the two claimed dousings are weird, and I only saw Allen claim to be busdriven. Who else got busdriven?

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Are you implying these two things are related or am I just reading it badly? Also I cant figure out how anyone could know they were bus driven unless Met specifically made a point of mentioning "You were swapped with another character" in PMs. I made a completely different assumption about that statement.

I think what he's saying is that if one person get swapped for another, they should both get bus driving messages, but I don't know if that's true or not.

On the other hand, maybe our bus driver swaps one person for two. That would explain the double dousing without there being two arsonists, which is scary :ohdear:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I'm here for the moment. what's up?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It was just weird to me to specifically lie, admit to lying without prompting, and then mention the jester hat. In retrospect I don't know why he would mention the hat if he were the jester, but the whole thing is weird and I don't like it.

Like why claim anything at all? It's day one, we're all looking for something to vote about. Claiming, "my item isn't a scum item, it's a totally other kind of scum item!" seems designed to draw attention and make people suspicious.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Peta posted:

"Only dumb townies, jesters, or the mafia would want to clear the air about something before they get called out on it. There's totally no incentive for an intelligent player to do that."

The timing is weird, and the hat thing is weird. I honestly don't know what to think. I'm going to shut up about it after this post but people keep bringing it up so I'll lay out my thoughts in full.

I think rocket launcher is an odd fake claim. If you want people to think you're scum, why not a knife or a ski mask or something more sinister? When I think rocket launcher I think Doom marines and the soldier from TF2. In fact, he brought up TF2 before he said he had a rocket launcher.

I'm almost definitely thinking too hard and he's just stupid, but lets play this out. Presented without drawing a conclusion about his role.

Scenario One: His item is a funny hat, so he thinks he's a Jester and wants to get lynched ASAP. So the thing that will get him lynched, in his opinion, is a rocket launcher. He claims that, then finds out he's town, and not a jester. So he jumps in to a discussion about something else and announces that he was lying before and he actually has a funny hat, because it is important to be forthright and honest now regardless of how weird and suspicious the entire thing seems. Then he insults everyone.

Scenario Two: His item is a rocket launcher, he makes a TF2 joke day one about it, no big deal. Then he gets his role and finds out he's scum. He starts getting paranoid about the rocket launcher being a weapon and worries that it's scummy, so he blurts out in the thread "no I didn't have a rocket launcher JK!" but realizes that THAT's scummy so he covers it with "I have a jesterfunny hat!" Then he insults everyone.

Scenario Three: His item is a funny hat, so he thinks he's a Jester and wants to get lynched ASAP. So the thing that will get him lynched, in his opinion, is a rocket launcher. He claims that, then finds out he is a jester, so he draws a bunch of attention to himself by claiming his funny hat instead of the rocket launcher, then he insults everyone.

In summary,

Peta posted:

Gilok's investigative notes on CPig:
- Might be town, mafia, or jester

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I can assure you I am clueless regardless of my alignment.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Look there's an easy way to verify Uranus's claim

## vote uranus

If he's telling the truth he's vanilla now, scum will probably kill him tonight anyway, and this will reveal his role and probably reveal if he's a "3 shot cop" (he's not). If he's lying he's scum (probably this) or at the very least not a big loss.

If he's a jester then he wins I guess.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Lying, at least in the way you just did it, is either scummy or just, I don't know, retarded? I'm willing to vote of retards I'm prejudiced that way

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

EXAKT Science posted:

Wait Gilok is this your first game?

This is not my first game, but I've played I think three games, all of which were more than two years ago (my PMs don't go back far enough for me to know how long exactly).

I acknowledge that I suck at mafia but hell I'm gonna have fun trying.

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Actually pretty stoked with Uranus' accusation since its at least given me an idea on who to focus on

##vote kleedrac for now

Really curious to ask pig which part of uranus's reaction to his vote convinced him he was telling the truth though

Just because all I saw was him tripling down which doesn't scream 'information worth voting over' to me either

If you wouldn't mind, could you explain why this is a better plan than lynching Uranus? I think that would give us the most useful information going forward. I mean he said you were scum, and you deflecting off to the side without making a case is kind of making me wonder if he's right.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Oh wait I read Kleedrac's posts yeah that is kind of eager to lynch on that one nutso claim

I still like lynching uranus better

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Actually I just like saying "Lynching Uranus"

Try it, it's fun

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

So you're saying you had a night action

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

That joke completely fell flat because of the snipe

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I last played a long time ago but I think claiming, even fake, was kind of a big deal then. If that's just what people like uranus do now I guess it doesn't mean anything at all. I'm still not sold on his being town but I'm not sold on his being scum either. ##unvote

I'm gonna read through the thread again and see if anything jumps out at me. I kind of want to vote Peta for being obnoxious or uranus for making scumhunting more difficult but I don't have enough votes to cover everyone who annoys me at any given time.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Mithross posted:

At this point we're basically confirming that we got breadcrumbs in a PM, that are probably going to be 50% teases.

Like, set of bus keys = surprise, you're an investigator too poor to own a car, so you take mass transit

This is kind of interesting in light of things. Do you have bus keys, Mithross?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I think I believe cpig's hat story

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Ok I finished my re-read.

Allen needs to post like, way more. Really everyone needs to post more but especially him, I got no read at all.

I'm getting a bad feeling from BottleKnight and Kleedrac. But the person who I'm most suspicious of right now is Hiipfire. Seriously, look at this poo poo. Nothing but white noise, mostly on day 1. He hasn't posted anything worthwhile today at all.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Ok bear with me, it's like 6 in the morning and I probably shouldn't even be awake yet let alone posting. Here are my thoughts on Bottle's game so far.

BottleKnight posted:

I have never played a game of Mafia on SA before, but I would be very interested in doing so. If this gets going sign me up!

First time player, or first time playing on SA? He talks a lot like he has experience, but keeps posting little "lol I'm new" bits.

BottleKnight posted:

Don't like this one. 1) It's very concerned with appearances, like someone who doesn't want to share their item, 2) telling people not to claim on what is effectively day one is a really obvious, low content post, no matter if our investigator just died or not, and 3) concern for the town is almost always scummy. People who want to help without scum hunting are Almost Always Bad.

I'm not going to post my item btw, I agree with what he said just think the post is scummy.

This is pretty lovely here. There wasn't any scumhunting to do yet since almost nobody had posted anything. Uranus posts "don't share your item" and BK calls it scummy, then agrees with it. Most importantly see the end of this post.

BottleKnight posted:

just listing some possibilities, brainstorming a lot about what we know from roles. None of this is confirmed obviously.

-there is at least one arsonist, maybe 2, so there is probably at least one firefighter
-There was an investigator, which is a pretty big townie role, from someone who was able to give us NO info, which I take to mean that 1) there is also an SK or 2) this was a total shot in the dark for the scum. I don't know how the scum thing works with amnesia so maybe they didn't get a NK? who knows
-I think the items are a crapshoot. I really am curious about what roles are still hidden.

Are you implying that an SK would have some sort of insight into who was an investigator? I'm pretty sure we only have an arsonist (or two) and not an SK, and that scum got their night kill. I'm not sure why you would think otherwise.

BottleKnight posted:

Yes. Since I don't know how the scum work with the amnesia stuff and I assume the arsonist(s) are 3P, I think it could be very possible we just have a lot of 3P. I don't know how likely it is, but I'm not ruling it out. If we start having just a ton of deaths, that would be really really bad.

Look at how meaningless this is. If there's a 3p, we have a lot of 3p, and deaths are bad.

Now we come to his case on Peta.

BottleKnight posted:

I'm going to sum up everything I find suspicious about Peta.

First, he led the nolynch, which even in this weird game is a scum move. It's pretty much always better to lynch if you're town. So if you have an item that makes you think you're not town, you probably want to see what your role is pretty bad.

This next post is the one I find really scummy:

Someone said they had a joke item, but Peta talks like someone who wants to see what team he's on so he can not work against himself, which wouldn't matter if he Thought He Was Town.
His entire case seems to be "Peta wanted to know his role on day 1" and wanted a no lynch that BK himself hammered. Well duh we all wanted to know our role, and getting voted out day 1 without even knowing your alignment would've been lovely. No lynch was the right move and we're mostly all in agreement about that, which is why it won the vote. I don't think anyone said they had a "joke item" either unless I'm mistaken.

BottleKnight posted:

This is a stupid post. He makes like 4 posts in a row here that seem like breadcrumbing, because now Peta is like single-post making GBS threads all over people, but back then he was very chatty and weird and not making jokes. Very scum.

Then he votes me without explaining, and later says it's a town move to troll for reactions, but his post quotes cpig and makes it seem like there's a reason he's voting me. I'd like to hear it.

Then he, with very short posts, first quotes uranus's daycop lie with "Fail," as if he knows uranus is lying, and then very quickly comes up with the "oh you couldn't possibly believe you went 3/3, you could be an INSANE COP!!!!" which seems like an afterthought way to imply he doesn't have the information he does. Also he implies that uranus is an insane cop when he would more than likely be a paranoid cop.

Actually, let's talk about that.

Why would you assume insane cop instead of paranoid cop on 3 scum results? What's more likely, that peta thought anus was a lovely cop who thinks all is scum or that he somehow hit three town?

This is basically a soft admission that he thinks it's likely that three different people are town, which is easy to hedge behind "oh derp was lying" but it's a scumslip.

The only interesting reactions to uranus's lie is Peta's. He should've stuck with an "I know uranus is lying" stance instead of going for the poo poo he went for.

This entire logic chain falls apart if Peta was breadcrumbing him. And of course he knows uranus is lying because lol of course uranus was lying about being a 3 shot daycop. The insane cop post Peta made seems sort of jokey, and doesn't mean much in light of it being totally obvious that uranus was making poo poo up. Frankly I feel like the whole case is retaliatory and reactionary to Peta being kind of a lovely poster in general. Which is terrible, but isn't scummy.

BottleKnight posted:

I voted nolynch too, I'm not saying it was the worst move for a room of people who didn't know what the gently caress they were. I'm just saying that the only reason I voted that way really is because there was no content, and the reason there was no content is because of Peta.

You can't blame day 1 no content on Peta or any one person.

BottleKnight posted:

My sister and I are going to be starting a all-night movie marathon soon since she works nights and has the night off, but in light of this, I will claim.

I am an NK-invulnerable cop. I visited uranus last night, and got back a town result. I don't know what to make of this, but if Peta and uranus are both telling the truth everything gets difficult.

I think Peta is a scum for all the reasons I have listed, and am going to keep to this conclusion for the time being.

The only other thing I can think of is a loving ninja arsonist or something, but that's stupid and I don't want to be seen stretching that hard in my first game.

I will say that if I were an arsonist and Peta was telling the truth, why would I admit I visited uranus? I would've just denied it. I know it's wifom but if I was only trying to frame Peta, I would've tried to discredit him in any way.

Anyways, I'm gonna go watch some Tarantino movies or something. Not sure what she wants to watch. See you guys later if I'm still here!

This sounds like a fake claim. Unless Peta is some sort of lovely watcher who only sees one visitor per person, he should have seen two people visit uranus if this were true. That's aside from NK invulnerable cop being kind of a nutso role.

Also his first day 2 post was calling out a uranus post as scummy, despite getting a town result. I can't find any breadcrumbing there so yeah I think BK is lying about his role.

##vote BottleKnight

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Met posted:

:siren: NEW EVENT :siren:

Time to spice things up! A post restriction that everyone must follow:

Stop being dicks.

I also appreciate this. I wasn't one of the complainers but I was half considering just dropping this game. I'm trying to have fun in here, not watch everyone poo poo on each other for days.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

Man, I got supremely unlucky with that peta track. Dang you peta! I wasn't even going to do anything during n2 so as to avoid suspicion.

Alas, I am the arsonist. I am a 3P. I did a good amount of honest scumhunting, and I really have no motivation to reveal too much about my role, but I just wanted to say it before I get lunched.

I would like to apologize to Gilok for my lovely post earlier. I posted it because I was nervous and trying to fake confidence, but I was really lovely to you in the one time I interacted with you and on a reread I had a lot of regrets about that post, as a person, not just in the game. I really am sorry man.

And yeah, this really is my first game of mafia, anywhere. I was lurking/reading mafia threads for 3-4 days straight since I haven't had much to do, and I consulted the wiki a lot during this game.

So yeah, sorry for being lovely, I wasn't a mason or anything with anyone, and I doused uranus n1. I assume I will not last long but maybe I trolled some helpful reactions for either team!

I hope we can still be friends, everyone in this game. :D

##vote bottleknight

It's cool bro, your post wasn't even that harsh compared to some people in this thread. I may just be getting to thin-skinned for SA these days. Lotta negativity on here lately.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

...huh, ok.

So does that mean Anonymous Narcotics was also doused? Or did WWM get doused on night one...when two other people claim to have been doused?

Does this town have like a gasoline lawn sprinkler or something?

In other news, I got bus driven last night.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

So based on the wiki, it looks AnonymousNarcotics is a Paranoid Gun Owner. Does that seem right to you pro guys?

If so, he's probably town.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Well gee you admit to being town, how unexpected.

But are you a PGO or just...I dunno, a rational person who yells at intruders?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Kleedrac is a weird scum kill what with a few people (including me) suspecting him. Further supports some kind of scum rolecop.

I don't like hiipfire or Allen Wren. Allen has fewer posts, but his have very slightly more content than Hiipfire, who isn't so much playing the game as he is...well I don't know what he's doing but it isn't actually participating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Holy poo poo that's a lot of gasoline.

• Locked thread