Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So uh, is it cheating to get myself a steel pick head solely for that blightfall quest if I make something able to mine stuff it could mine? I mean I ended up making damascus steel and then found platinum so the idea of making the drat thing at this point is a little pointless. Also kind of having a pain trying to work out how to make an invisibility potion for a magic quest in it. Netherwort is required, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Well I mean it's not that hard to get steel. Netherwart is pretty easy to get too if you explore a bit. Do the scouting quests! Seriously, do them, it's important.

Ok then. Would you recommend just digging a tunnel using a hammer so I can avoid mobs or I am being way to danger avoidant by thinking to do that? Really loving the mod pack now that I've managed to avoid cheating. Takes longer but the progression seems more satisfying.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

Have you started Thaumcraft yet? The mining focus isn't too expensive and it will mine anything.

Got the book, meter, wand, and first 2 tables but haven't really started with it. Guess I know what to aim for with it though, thanks. Anything else in it I should focus on rushing to?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Did I stumble into Night Vale or something?

Oh uh, you know what's embarrassing? First time I played Blightfall I missed the door on top of the obsidian tower. Really happy I don't need to make my own altar now. There any other similar things I might have missed? Did find the glacier one and plan to do all the infusion stuff there in the middle of nowhere.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

Blightfall pretty much walked you through things (most things, AE2 ,lol nope) which is why i was able to do stuff.

Didn't it outright lie about the AE2 stuff by saying you don't need a controller?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

senae posted:

But you don't need a controller to use ae2(so long as you've got a small enough network)

Uh, would a drive hub thingy full of the second smallest drives not be small enough? I'll take a pic when I get home I guess.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

senae posted:

Do you have a terminal (I usually go straight to crafting terminal) connected?

You'll also need an Energy acceptor (I think is the name) in order to add power to the network, Easiest way in blightfall is to stick that block that turns mana into RF next to it and shoot some endoflames at it.

Can power it just fine with the reactor and it works fine with the controller but didn't work at all without it. Also still can't make mana yet. I think. I'll check my flower book when I get home along with what flowers I have.

Edit
Wait, energy acceptor? I'll try that. Thanks. Really nice having this thread for help.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 5, 2016

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Serifina posted:

I released a pack on Curse for anyone who might be interested, a simple magic pack for 1.8.9 called Sky Magic. It defaults to a Garden of Glass skyblock setup but if you want to play in a normal Overworld just disable the Garden of Glass and Crafting Tweaks files. It has Blood Magic, Botania, Intangible, Psi, and Thaumcraft so there's no shortage of stuff to play with.

What's Garden of Grass? Playing around with magic in a skyblock sounds cool.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

And in less stupid packs I have a question about FTB Mage Quest. Is the blood magic part only next to go upto the second orb? It didn't even cover rituals at all and that seemed a little weird.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So, whats a good mod pack for if someone wants to try learning Immersive Engineering?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

OgNar posted:

Just got past 2 huge obstacles in Blightfall.
1st was in my attempt to get to the swamp I kept getting a row of chunks missing.
Which I after frustration I found a fix by changing the config.

2nd was after I got to the swamp and slept I got spawn camped by 2-3 purple mist things.
I must have died a good 10-12 times before I was able to draw them far enough out into the water so when they killed me they wouldn't just move back to my bed spawnpoint.
I got the 3 warnings for reputation loss when I got to the missing chunks and got raped by pigs. Any reputation I had was destroyed after the mist thingies.
I just rage quit after teleporting back to base. :)

Don't sleep outside your dome unless you have thoroughly cleansed an area. You can warp for a reason.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

D34THROW posted:

Why in the gently caress would that ever be a good gameplay mechanic and what even justifies that risk

A gambling addiction.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Lorini posted:

Thanks, back to my respawning spree.

Can also type the first few letters and just hit tab also. It'll cycle through all commands that start with what you typed as you press it.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So is there any mod pack that gives a guide for immeesive engineering? Feel like learning it and having defite goals helps.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

The mod comes with that book that tells you how to build everything. If you want an "ultimate goal" of sorts, aim for having a farm that produces enough biodiesel to run multiple excavators, excavating multiple chunks, feeding the ores into an arc smelter. Have the whole area cordoned off with electrified barbed wire and guarded by turrets that automatically reload with ammo that gets automatically made. I can tell you now that everything short of the auto-ammo thing is completely doable, and that I just haven't tried to automate ammo production yet, but it should be doable as well.

Found the book in Skyfactory 3, thanks! Made an improved blast furnace so I can make steel to make my autoheavy sieve to get iron faster :D

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

AceClown posted:

If anyone is still playing PO2 then I did a thing:

http://pastebin.com/wbBQLbGL

Replace your chancecubes.cfg files with this, what is does is take out all the bullshit, every bit and make it so the only thing the giant cubes can do is make a BioDome.
The small chance cubes? yeah they just transform in to a big one.
The Isohedrons? they just flat out don't do anything cos I couldn't figure out how to make those spawn a bio dome.

Turns a loving useless mod into a skyblockers dream!

You know, that is amazing. Only problem is the one that gives you 400 ticks before nuking the area is somehow still in?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Seriously, I've seen what the cubes can do when made to be fun. Why does turning off everything but the biodome still leave the possibility of your base blowing to? Is it hard coded in? I'd kill to have explanations for what each thing on the config is so I could turn off the bad parts and have them just be random rewards or at worst slightly funny.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

AceClown posted:

It really shouldn't

# [default: true]
B:who=false

is in there, and I did a full "find/replace" for true=false then just changed 2 entries to true (the biodome one and small to big one)

Edit: Really not trying to troll anyone, I'm not even close to that creative with pranks

Edit2: I've been testing it and have placed like 50 domes and the only time it does anything iffy is when you try to build multiple at once but that's just a regular crash, never had a "Who dis?" cube in all the testing.

Vortex, Velocity, Ha, that seems to be all of them besides giant cubes and biodome that were enabled? Will test a few when I get home tonight to see if it was any of those, probably vortex based on the name?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Not sure what mod it was but Skyfactory 3 had a giant chest mod. Just make a big hollow cube and it'll have the storage as if every block was a chest I think. Just some big megachest.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

AE2 is worth it just for the thaumcraft crossover mod. Beats the hell out doing things through old fashioned way.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Tyty posted:

I'm looking at the various options for tree farms and I saw what goes into a Forestry farm these days. Why do I need more than 180 tin and to make a giant multiblock structure for an automated tree farm? Or an automated anything farm? So many other mods can do it for way cheaper.

It's good to see some things never change I guess.

Style? Realism? I kind of like big multiblock machines or stuff like the Thaumcraft infusion altar.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Which mod in CotT is letting mobs attack through walls? A creeper that can not see me and has never seen me should not blow up and a zombie should not be able to hit me from behind a wall.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

God bee lining turrets was a great idea. Just keep them powered and full of cobble and 3 will take care of near anything. CotT is fun when it gets rolling and I love the Ender sword a loot bag had. Any way to recharge it for the bonus damage?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Someone earlier suggested Pickle Pack Magical 3 and I've been having a blast. Haven't gotten deep into Thaumcraft or Botania and instead have mostly just been trying to do Twilight Forest stuff. Had to go to the swamp to kill the Minoshroom under the hollow hill so I could head to the fire swamp to murder the hydra so I could pierce the magic darkness of the dark forest and at this point the quests have had me make a pickaxe that does extra damage to armored targets using stuff from the fortress some goblins took over. Next, some ghast in a tower! Wooh.

I have to ask, there a mod to make it so for example if you hover over an aspect in thaumcraft it tells you which aspects make it up? Would cut down on the intermediate steps taking so long if I didn't have to reference a cheat sheet so much.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

That's in base thaumcraft, if you research the advanced research tech on the first page of the thaumonomicon.

Thanks! Will definitely do so! And then I can use the string from spiders to wool to infuse to make sheep seeds.

I like how the different types of magic are integrated.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Serifina posted:

If I can get enough time to do so. Right now Better Questing is the only updated quest mod. Outside of guiding into the exploration stuff, I'm not even sure what I'd have.

So, any reason mobs can spawn even in fully lit areas? And are killing so quickly that I can't actually do anything unless switch to peaceful?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Serifina posted:

I'm betting you're inside a building. Many, many buildings are haunted, and as such, spawn very powerful and dangerous mobs. Kill enough, and the building is cleansed. I recommend Invar armor at minimum, get a shield, and if you can, enchantments.

Away from the buildings, out in the streets or in open areas, it shouldn't spawn such nasty mobs.

Ooook, that explains it. Thanks!

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Been loving The Simple Life 2 except for one of the early quests being borked. For some reason the quest to hunt 4 skeletons, spiders, zombies, and creepers doesn't want to work and I had to edit the quest to be just a checkmark one instead. Boo.

Anyone got advice for finding constellations in Astral Sorcery?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

taiyoko posted:

Is your quest book in edit mode? That's been a recent bug that causes the "kill x" quests to not detect kills. /bq_admin edit should take care of that.

Good to know, thanks! Can actually fix that and continue on than. :)

And Black Pants, thanks. :)

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there a way to add mods to a modpack I got through the twitch launcher? I can easily add mods to a custom profile I made myself, but for some reason I can't just do the same to a modpack someone else made that I downloaded - the button's just not there.

The ... button, click profile options. Uncheck locked.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Been thinking, what mods besides Twilight Forest add some long quest to work on in 1.7.10? Going to take mods like that and as many different Thaumcraft addons as I feel like for fun.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

I loved the shuttle in Forever Stranded made with it. I think as a way to spice up premade structures its great.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So is Exoria meant to have some portal near the spawn? I never see one and besides harvesting grass from one of those magic houses I'm not sure how to get dirt to make stuff early on.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So, whats the progression pack of choice right now?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

So I guess Thaumcraft is being abandoned for real/for good this time. That's a real shame -- it's the one mod I think I've consistently played longer than any other, unless you count Inventory Tweaks and stuff like JEI. I hope it lives on in some form because no other magic mod really scratches the itch quite the same way.

Though relatedly, I do sort of hope that Wizardry mod shapes up soon. Short the (significant) bugs and balance issues it could be a good spiritual successor to Ars Magica. Still not Thaumcraft, but AM(2) was a good mod nonetheless.

Wait, what happened?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Dang, maybe someone else will take it up?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Now I feel like messing around with old Thaumcraft, specifically whatever one was in the Yogbox.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

McFrugal posted:

PS it's the ash mountains that are killing your fps not the fairies. Every block of ash has particles, even the ones you can't see.

What. Is there any way to stop that from happening? Besides turning off particles I mean.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Oof. I'd like to try SevTech if only to have a guided romp through some modern mods, but wow, no vanilla chests even until age 2? Is that a terribly long ways in? My only context is side-eyeing some Yogscast videos and, well, nuff said

I recommend trying a different pack for guided learning. I think Baby's First Space Race is good for that? Not sure what else would be a good idea to suggest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Taffer posted:

lol you should check out the KSP thread and see how much c# hobbyists own. One mod that did nothing but change research orders annihilated performance, though the metrics to measure it aren't as good over there.

Hobbyists and performant code generally don't mix. Hell, a lot of the time even professionals and performant code don't mix. Most professionals don't work on performance-critical applications, though they at least can usually avoid pitfalls of memory leaks and poor architecture.

I really have to question how such a mod would tank performance. Or why it even got released in that state.