Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY2E9jI8ke0

Er wait, ignore that. Cyborg's out.

Man, if you thought Pac vs. Mayweather was a boring slog for the average casual viewer, get a load of this poo poo. At least someone actually wins in boxing. Sweet Jesus I would not be surprised if this card literally had every match go to a draw, especially with Garry not here due to Ralek being a bastard and trying to sabotage Eddie Bravo's promotion. Speaking of Ralek being a bastard, we could've had Mackenzie Dern vs. Gaby Garcia if he weren't such a cheapskate. And the site might be bugged making it impossible to order the show. So gently caress Ralek. Note the start time, you won't have to miss Mark Hunt to watch this.

The Rules:
- 20 Minute Time Limit. Web site mentioned something about 25 minutes for championship matches so maybe Barnett vs. Ryron will get an extra 5.
- If it goes the distance, it is automatically a draw. (At Metamoris II they used judges, but those are gone and most likely will not be back.)
- Heel Hooks only legal without the gi. (Not too sure about neck cranks and such. They've never really specified.)
- If a deep submission attempt is on at the time limit, the fight will continue until it is escaped or a tap occurs. This is at the ref's discretion.

Ostensibly these rules were designed to promote submissions, but thus far the promotions finish rate is 10 out of 30.

How to watch: http://metamoris.com/live-stream
Do not pirate this. Aside from all the legal and ethical issues associated with piracy, these guys really need the support if they're going to keep doing this. On the other hand gently caress Ralek. No seriously, no piracy.

The Commentators:

Kenny Florian is still well coifed.

Jeff Glover is likely high.

Also, tonight's Master of Ceremonies is none other than El Guapo himself, Bas Rutten.

The Matches:

Josh Barnett vs. Ryron Gracie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guPRsVXClpc

And here's a great match featuring The Warmaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zZzZzAuMfA

At Metamoris 4, Josh Barnett shocked the world by giving Dean Lister his first submission loss in over 15 years to become Metamoris heavyweight champion. Earlier this week, Cyborg Abreu shocked the world by pulling out of his title match due to injury. At Metamoris 1, Ryron Gracie shocked the world by not even trying to win his match against Andre Galvao, electing to play for the draw by giving up side mount willingly and defending submission attempts for most of the match. It was impressive in it's own way I guess, but it rubbed me the wrong way when him and Rener made an hour long Gracie Breakdown video in order to claim moral victory for the match and babble about the "True, Helio Gracie Jiu Jitsu". Will Ryron Gracie shock the world again by submitting the much larger man? No, probably not.

Sprecherscrow's Stupid Prediction: This is actually a little harder to predict than the near certain draw of Barnett vs. Cyborg, but Ryron winning is nearly out of the question. A better question is will he even try for submissions. I doubt he'll pull side mount like he did against Galvao since Barnett's side control attacks are nasty as hell, but I imagine he'll come out with a different, yet still primarily defensive, strategy. I'll go with a draw since it's Metamoris.

Chael Sonnen vs. Renato Sobral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_9xArUSTWo

After losing to Galvao at Metamoris 4, Chael spent some time training primarily gi BJJ, and was awarded a purple belt from Fabiano Scherner. These two split their two MMA bouts with a descision win for Sonnen early in their careers, and a submission for Babalu two years later. So this is a rubber match of sorts. Whoop de do.

Sprecherscrow's Stupid Prediction: A draw. Sonnen's now had plenty of time to devote purely to BJJ and Babalu's not Galvao. On the other hand, Babalu's no push over himself. I imagine we'll see Sonnen put Babalu on his back and then a stalemate in guard.

Joe Lauzon vs. Dillon Danis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlwMDahL-zk

It could've been Lauzon vs. Garry. That would've been the poo poo. I shouldn't harp too hard on this since Danis is real good himself, but man Garry vs. Lauzon. Can you imagine how awesome that would be? Eh, it'll still be cool. This is probably the one I'm most interested in. Lauzon is of course the record holder for most UFC bonus awards. Danis was a member of Marcelo Garcia Academy's "Brown Belt Dream Team". I say was because they all got their black belts a few weeks ago. Danis signed the same sort of exclusive Metamoris contract that had been offered to Garry, so he'll only be competing in IBJJF and ADCC events outside of Metamoris.

Sprecherscrow's Stupid Prediction: I'm saying another draw here. It'll be exciting as hell with constant scrambles and transitions, but I don't see either guy getting caught.

Xande Ribeiro vs. Keenan Cornelius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dbcdXnmHYs

Sorry wrong vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkUmyaE-x9U

One of the best of all time versus one of the best of today. They actually did something interesting here in letting the fans decide if it would be gi or no-gi. They went gi. I feel it's a more even match that way. Could be cool.

Sprecherscrow's Stupid Prediction: Do I need to say it?

Clark Gracie vs. Roberto Satoshi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKz2w00W0Cs

After getting styled on by Jake loving Shields in the M5 secret match and going full Brazilian with an excuse that he primarily trains with the gi, Roberto Satoshi is back with that excuse out of play. He's facing the most photogenic man in BJJ, oma plata master Clark Gracie. Clark's gold medal match from the 2013 Pan Ams is the match I show the uninitiated to introduce them to IBJJF matches. It's really really good.

Sprecherscrow's Stupid Prediction: All together now, a draw.

Jeff Monson vs. Jimmy Friedrich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUMcnxXD6mU

Jimmy Friedrich won Metamoris' own version of the Ultimate Fighter to win this shot at the Snowman. I didn't watch it. Did anyone watch it? Does anyone care? This is probably going to be loving boring as hell.

Sprecherscrow's Stupid Prediction: I don't loving care anymore.

Sprecherscrow fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Nice OP. Will be watching this. I had no idea Ryron stepped in. I am excited by the prospect of Barnett possibly subbing a Gracie via man strength and size.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Ryron is going to spend 20 minutes in Barnett's side control and then claim victory during the Gracie Breakdown video. Rener will say "daaaang".

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Cyborg dropping out is pretty BS, but hopefully it leads to more proof that Catch > BJJ.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
J'MONSON!

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

How long does the PPV typically last? Quite keen but I can really only watch the first 2 hours.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Welp, I'm unable to log in despite resetting my password twice, and so far no response from their e-mail.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Welp, I'm unable to log in despite resetting my password twice, and so far no response from their e-mail.

They ended up getting a new database at some point, so if you had an account before you need to create a new one. I just ordered it fine.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I had the same problem fatherdog mentioned but I tried making a new account and I still can't complete the purchase for some reason. :(

e: oh, when I signed in it de-selected the PPV button I guess? Really unintuitive interface imo.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Sprecherscrow posted:

They ended up getting a new database at some point, so if you had an account before you need to create a new one. I just ordered it fine.

Thanks, this seems to have sorted it. That's some idiotic database management if it kept my email and let me reset my password but didn't actually have me as an account.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Despite allegedly starting in a minute, the website says it's 30 minutes away

good job ralek, you dorkus malorkus

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
It's a shame that the choices for cool grappling events in the states right now are either the Gracie cult event being run by a G in a gi who thinks girls are icky and the 10pJJ cult event being run by the leader singer of a rap-metal band who thinks Bush did 9/11.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Keg posted:

It's a shame that the choices for cool grappling events in the states right now are either the Gracie cult event being run by a G in a gi who thinks girls are icky and the 10pJJ cult event being run by the leader singer of a rap-metal band who thinks Bush did 9/11.

Polaris got off to a pretty good start earlier this year and they've got Cummings vs Bodycomb in another leglock duel coming in September.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
I won't have you bad mouthing the Eddie bravo invitational

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Wait what the gently caress when did they replace Florian with Bas

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Jeff Monson apparently out.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Well this looks pretty amateur so far - they just showed the twitter feed on screen and it was full of negative tweets about them, but... stoked to see Bas commentating again!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I feel like I should buy this (even though the poo poo w the exclusive contracts pisses me off to no end) but between here and people on facebook bitching about issues with the stream, I'm a little torn.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Kekekela posted:

I feel like I should buy this (even though the poo poo w the exclusive contracts pisses me off to no end) but between here and people on facebook bitching about issues with the stream, I'm a little torn.

The stream's fine, it was the ordering that was frustrating.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Stream is fine for me and enjoying it so far. Lack of crowd is disconcerting, but then you get taiko drummers instead.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
You'd think if they're going to do this in a closed room anyway, they'd do it in a room where the mats go right to the wall on every side so the ref doesn't have to restart them all the time

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
hahaha I love the realtalk piracy notice after the corporatespeak one.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
The wrong tale of the tape, I love it.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

quote:

If a deep submission attempt is on at the time limit, the fight will continue until it is escaped or a tap occurs. This is at the ref's discretion.

This is just asking for Gracie shenanigans.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Dangersim posted:

You could say this about all of Metamoris.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
"Are we ever going to see Rener on the Metamoris mat?"
"Well, if I was on the mats I wouldn't be able to commentate with you guys, or travel around the country teaching army and navy and law enforcement, or bullyproofing kids, or doing the Rener nutrition videos... people need this stuff!"

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Dangersim posted:

Someone remind me but didn't Bravo have Royler in a vaporizer when time ran out? I think by their own rules that match should have kept going.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

origami posted:

Someone remind me but didn't Bravo have Royler in a vaporizer when time ran out? I think by their own rules that match should have kept going.

Yes it should have. It was some bullshit.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

origami posted:

Only submissions invented by Helio count, duh

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Is it me or are the Gracie's getting more poo poo thrown at them then ever before?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Wow, a submission.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Luke Thomas is losing his poo poo over the pacing of Metamoris and it is awesome

Bummer about BatBoi, though.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Luke Thomas has a long rear end face

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Chael vs Barnett will be good if only for the promos

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CATCH WRESTLING RULES

GRACIE JIU JITSU DROOLS

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Points matches with 6 minutes of stalling after a cool sweep are better than sub only matches with 20 minutes of stalling in guard. That is what I think about Metamoris.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

How fat is Chael. He looked mad fat in the promo

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

How fat is Chael. He looked mad fat in the promo

He still had visible abs. I don't think it's fat so much as his face retaining All The Water

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx
Well this was underwhelming for my first Metamoris event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Monson posted that he had family emergency and will be at the next Metamoris

• Locked thread