Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Literally Esoteric posted:

I love how he never bears a grudge. Of course he'll do whatever horrid thing he thinks is most to his advantage at any given moment, and then expect you to get over it, but he'll sit down and have a beer with whoever tried to kill him a moment ago.
It's like he has a sociopath switch he can just turn on and off when he wants.

Maybe Dijkstra is just a guy who takes the shortest path between where he is and where he wants to be, regardless of other factors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

How is the DLC quality and number of bugs in 1.10/DLC? Considering giving it a go (PC platform).

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I finally bought Witcher 3 and started the prologue. I'm at some tavern asking about Yenn.

Before I get too far in this: are there any decisions to watch out for that mean you can't return to a place and you'll permanently miss out on some item that can't be found elsewhere?

I hate making choices that are irreversibly regrettable, especially when it comes to neato gear. Thanks, all.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I just started the game a couple days ago, and I've been reading some about signs in the documentation/wiki. But, it's kind of confusing because I've heard people say various signs are great/OP/terrible/nerfed. It seems like signs' effectiveness has changed a whole lot in various patches?

I'm interested in an offensive sign to help save some on repair costs and deal with groups of enemies better. What sign would be best for that if I'm going to invest an ability point or two, in patch 1.10?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

I constantly have on two decoctions that last an hour and a half. I can easily chug two regular potions on top of that. Every potion I consume instantly restores about 1/3rd of my max health.

Alchemy is OP as hell.

Is there any reason not to make decoctions and potions as they become available? I have like one gargoyle mutagen and don't know if you need stuff for things other than making deco/pots

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I should not have laughed at this

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I just turned level 17 and am not sure what I'm doing with my character skills and equipping of them. Example: I have 5 muscle memory, equipped, but just put two points into precise blows. Do I need to equip precise blows to get that bonus? If I equip precise blows in place of muscle memory, do I still get the muscle memory bonus?

Same question for battle trance, quen... feels wasteful to multiply-equip skills in the same tree, although I know it's required when you want to activate an alternate sign cast.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Oh I think I see what you're asking. Each "tier" of bonuses doesn't replace the one before, so you need to equip each ability separately. There's no harm in using multiple abilities that modify one attack or Sign, do whatever.

yeah, that. thanks -- time to stack a few things

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Palpek posted:

The game is on sale as a part of Steam's Halloween sale.

Anyone who does not own it should buy it immediately and enjoy the best PC gaming experience of the past 3 years.

I held out until a few weeks ago and, it lives up to the hype.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Additionally: mad props to CDPR for continued quality of life and bugfix patches to the game. Quality of long term support affects my purchase decisions.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah same experience. cdpr went overboard on how complicated their gear system is. if you need to gather supplies just make the supplies you need the limiter on using the item. instead you've also got level req's, you've got to know a high enough level smith to make the item not be crap, etc. shits crazy in need of streamlining.

Wait, do crafted witcher gear items vary in stats by quality of smith? How does that work? Cumulative in any way?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

About what percent through the main quest is the "Isle of Mists" quest? And after I finish the MQ, can I still do all the various side quests and treasure hunts / witcher contracts?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Is there a good place to buy cave troll liver in patch 1.11, or respawnably farm it?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

on how W3 is the best noir detective video game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkIKbTiuJ9A

Wow, this video is amazing and spot on. Really enjoyed.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Question about the PC version's UI:

Witcher 1's UI was bad, unplayable with mouse and keyboard (to me).
Witcher 3's UI was good, easily playable with mouse and keyboard.

What is Witcher 2's like? Is it closer to W1 or W3? What did they change from W2 to W3 (patch 1.11)?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Alchemy question. I respec'd after starting Hearts of Stone, not using alchemy tree skills in the base game. I maxed out acquired tolerance, heightened tolerance, delayed recovery, and side effects. equipped them. I drink 3 decoctions and I'm at what I believe should be 210/247 toxicity (I have all recipes in game).

When I drink thunderbolt, its effects (according to the status bar timer) wear off after ~2.5-3 minutes. But, I think delayed recovery was supposed to keep the potion effect on until I went under 70% toxicity? What's going on, how does this work? I wanted perma thunderbolt when I had 3 decoc's rolling.

My other two alchemy skills are the first two oil things.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

The skills that are related to a certain percentage of toxicity don't count decoctions. They run off of standard potion toxicity.

Hmm ok, so what's the best set of alchemy skills to roll if I'll dedicate 6 slots to it? 3 melee slots, 3 sign slots. I don't know what I'm doing with alch.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

so yes, the exploration is better than in the witcher. for starters, there's a point to doing any. in the witcher, you kinda just hop from quest point to quest point because looking into places has no real value outside of finding witcher schematics (which are actually quests anyway). that's the difference: in fallout, you see a place and you go look into it because that's what you do. each place is a unique dungeon unto itself with something to find. and it's fun; there's always some little story behind every random dungeon and there's usually something interesting to look into. that's not really the case with the witcher, where you only really explore when a quest asks you to. ... you didn't find some weird, random thing that was just there for the sake of being there.

huh? In W3, I stumbled across many quests just by exploring the map or town and running into them, because going to a new area was what I wanted to do. also random loot and vendors. I guess you could remove the quest entry in log or icon on map and some would be more like skyrim random caves/hideouts. skyrim's different holds served as quest nexuses just like bounty boards in W3.

if you only explored because a quest path was taking you there, that's on you. like you could miss half the small towns and places of power and side quests because no prior quest directed you there. I guess W3's weird, random things just more often had people pointing you toward them that you could run across first.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Just finished Hearts of Stone; quite enjoyable experience. Time to wander around the map to see what secondary quests included in HoS I missed!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

time for NG+ Death March minimal UI settings :getin:

What's NG+ like, anyway? Are there really neat new items? New power levels of crafted armor? I'm wondering if it's really worth it; could just start a regular NG if you want to see other quest choice outcomes. Why play NG+ other than "challenge"?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Palpek posted:

What about the sex scene in the expansion where the main romanceable person in the expansion - Shani starts vomiting during. Now that had to put a damper on people enjoying it too much.

Have there been heated discussions on the internet about how that was actually a criminal act (in US law, at least), because she was clearly drunk, as evidenced by the drinking video and vomit, and therefore could not legally consent -- but Geralt was not drunk, since we know from other in-game effects when he's drunk?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah, Geralt resembles the typical gruff hero type enough that there were a few early criticisms of the character that jumped the gun based on first impressions, but he's got a lot more personality than even he's comfortable admitting.

seems like a good time to repost this, witcher as pulp detective novel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkIKbTiuJ9A

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Did any of you get "Novigrad, Closed City II" returning from failed to active questlog in the recent patch?

If so, how did you continue it? I went to the marker but couldn't sense anything in the streets.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Fuzz posted:

My Mod List:

• Auto Apply Oils (Mandatory)
  • Better Trophies (QoL because default ones are boring as poo poo)
  • Cheaper Respec Potions (just because... allows me to tool around and change things up pretty easily to keep things fresh on my now 120+ hour first playthrough)
  • Colored Map Markers (compatibility version)
  • Dyes Everywhere and Dyeable Starting Armor (because gently caress waiting for endgame DLC for that poo poo)
  • Friendly UI (because I like seeing the HUD I need when I need it, not all the time. More immersive)
  • HD Reworked Project (improved textures are mainly noticeable in Novigrad and Skellige)
  • Improved Sign Effects (because having a huge shockwave Aard that flattens dudes is :krad:)
  • Jump in Shallow Water (Mandatory)
  • Map Quest Objectives (Full version, works great with Colored markers to make the map less poo poo)
  • New Griffin Armor (Because I'm a fat shamer and don't like :btroll: Geralt)
  • No Dirty Lens Effect (purely a cosmetic choice)
  • No Fall Damage (Mandatory... pretend mutagens make them fall like cats along with the eyes)
  • Perks Always Active (Gameplay choice because Passives are totally a losing proposition otherwise, plus at a certain point you have too many skillpoints)
  • Refill Alcohol (because I actually ran out of Alcohest from resting when I had 300+ Dwarven Spirits, and then I needed to make White Gull :smithicide:)
  • Scabbards on NPCs (Because it makes NPCs look loving AWESOME and maintains my immersion)
  • Turbo Lighting Mod (Because I like flashy lighting)
  • Weathers Enhanced (Because holy poo poo looking out over Velen when it's foggy is BEAUTIFUL)
  • More Accurate Witcher Faces (Only used the eyes, because I like the specular shiny thing and in a lot of cutscenes it makes Geralt look even more badass)

So yeah, there's a handful of Gameplay tweaks but it's 90% QoL and cosmetic stuff. poo poo still breaks and I still have encumbrance, I don't mind those things because they're barely an annoyance. Abilities all work as normal, there's just a point to leveling over 35 since I literally maxed out all the main skills I use for all 12 slots and then some, so further skills were literally pointless... now I actually use the crossbow and bombs here and there even when I'm not running an Alchemy spec.

I'd include links, but looking back it's a ton of mods. You can use Script Merger to get all of these to play nicely, the only errors it will show are just some text type ones that don't actually cause issues ingame at all and the game still compiles just fine... they're all background errors from Enhanced Weather and Turbo Lighting, but they still play nice together and work just fine.

Do any of these mods not play well with latest patch + all DLCs on PC?

Anyone dislike one of the mods above? The post says "poo poo still breaks" ... are particular mods the source of bugs?

Considering trying mods for 2nd playthrough. Recommendations welcome. Thanks.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I have the latest version of TW3 on PC (steam).

Are there any "must-have" mods that are bug-free with this version? On nexusmods, I'm seeing a lot of complaints that some mods broke in v1.30 or similar. What are you guys using with 1.30/1.31?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Node posted:

The only one I consider absolutely must have is Auto-Apply Oils. The first post in this thread has a decent list, but you don't really need any of them. Auto-Apply Oils will save you a ridiculous amount of tedious time and button presses.

And that works 100% with 1.31? In the posts for the mod, here: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/625/?tab=posts , there are lots of mixed messages for 1.31 steam success. Several people saying it doesn't work; others saying it does (including the owner). And it's dead, no more updates/posts by owner.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Thanks. I got the auto-apply oils, Endure for weapon durability, weight limit mod, and fall damage mod. Seems to be working.

This is my second playthrough so I wanted QoL stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Does raytracing in the next-gen witcher patch require the DX12 (crappy wrapper) pathway, or can it be run with the DX11 pathway?

I'm assuming it requires DX12, right?

Has anyone benchmarked different CPU generations' framerate impact for the new raytracing?