Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I like that there is a Gwent card called "Poor loving Infantry".

That one's from the last novel. Part of it follows minor various characters during the Battle of Brenna, and one of them is a scribe who previously studied at a temple with Ciri who joins the army to fight Nilfgaard and ends up assigned to a misfit unit called "Poor loving Infantry."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

This is mentioned in the books when Ciri is training to become a Witcher. It's not just the mutagens and Trial of the Grasses. There's a diet of specially prepared fungi and such that hugely affect the body's hormonal balance. Hormones are supposed to have a different balance in men and women, obviously. The Witchers didn't think of that, and they were having Ciri on that until Triss noticed and threw an absolute shitfit.

It's a good guess that testosterone levels are being manipulated, as Triss realised something was wrong when she saw Ciri naked when having her try on a dress.

As for the Trial of the Grasses, they indeed can't. The Witchers don't understand parts of the process (they just know the basics, like the diet), and if I recall correctly it also needs a sorcerer present to guide the mutations. And the current Witchers aren't keen on the idea of entrusting anyone else with the mutagens and Witcher secrets.

I don't remember, but I think the idea was that Triss would help make Ciri a real Witcher, but then she threw that shitfit.

Another fun fact: Ciri can't make signs. That's another reason why they called Triss to help. Turned out that the reason is that she was a Source and was too unstable without magic training to be able to use signs. Signs are supposed to be really, really easy to use, and that's why Witchers use them.

Triss assumes they're going to ask her for help in mutating Ciri but it turns out the main reason why they need her is because Ciri started going into trances and prophesizing and they could sense it was magical in nature but didn't know what to do about it. Geralt couldn't face Yennefer after they broke up so they turned to Triss, the only other mage they can trust.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Sometimes GMG just doesn't send out keys until the actual release date of the game, it's happened with other games I've bought from them before.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I forgot that some people get pissed if you rummage through crates in front of them so my first death in this game was getting mobbed by 20 angry dudes because I nabbed some garbage out of a barrel in the Nilfgaard garrison.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I fought a golem and it seemed like it would have went a lot more smoothly without my AI controlled "helper" there, whose constant, damage-less (?) attacks would keep interrupting stuff I was trying to do. Like she would make him go into his blocking stance so my hits would do little damage, or I'd stun him with Aard but she'd knock him out of it immediately.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Manatee Cannon posted:

She deals damage. You could just stay behind the golem and hit it from behind forever while it tries to kill her, it seemed like it took more damage from there and when it covers itself it doesn't block its back.

I was hoping it would get pissed off enough to try to attack her but it never stopped advancing on Geralt, all it did was stop to block the lightning spam occasionally (I didn't think to run around its back then). I ended up beating it by waiting for it to charge at me, sidestep, and bash it a few times before getting out of the way. It was the same thing with Vesemir during the griffin fight, he'd try to do stuff but the griffin didn't give a poo poo.

I may have to fight it again anyway, because the game froze when I went into my inventory after the fight and I called it a session there. Hopefully it autosaved.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I've been finding upgraded bomb schematics but I can't use any of them because I never have the base bomb. The only ones I can make are the default two and an ice bomb I bought from Keira. Where the hell are these things?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Tokubetsu posted:

Where the hell is moon dust bomb recipe? I feel like I've been searching half my life for it.

There's a halfling herbalist across the river to the east of Oxenfurt that sells a bunch of alchemy recipes, that's where I got it.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I see that the fine tradition of Geralt giving up free hits because he starts fights after cutscenes with his sword still sheathed continues.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I've only just arrived but the Skellige map is gorgeous. I hope the main quest there focuses more on monsters and supernatural stuff again, Novigrad was entirely fighting men and I don't really like the human combat too much.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Ravenfood posted:

e: Is it moon dust or dimitrium bombs that stop werewolf regen?

Moon Dust, it works on the ghosts that regenerate too.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, I know. But like I had a quest where the guy didn't have enough money afterwards and my choices were "Pay up NOW" or "I'll be back in week, you better get farming REAL HARD so you can pay back with interest" and it was a really small amount of cash and I was sitting on near 9000 crowns. It's just amusing.

That guy actually comes through if you give him the week to pay back, I ended up getting like 450 crowns from him. Peat harvesting is pretty lucrative.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Zoltan tasked me with getting some rare gwent cards so he can pay off a debt. I've never actually played gwent, will the quest require me to do so?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

MonsterEnvy posted:

Question I have fought Rotfiends quite a few times now. But I still don't have a bestiary entry for them. Anyone know what the deal is with that. Do I have to burn them to death before they explode or somthing?

It seems like you need to land the killing blow on something to unlock the bestiary entry, if you let a rotfiend explode the last bit of damage doesn't come from you so it doesn't count.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Do you ever get to fight vampires that aren't the bat men (ekimmaras?) I did a very long side quest where the end result was a fight against an old higher vampire and I was pretty disappointed when he just transformed into a bat and I kicked his rear end within a minute.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Schurik posted:

I finally got into Gwent at level 20, and after not liking it a first, it's really cool. Act 1 spoiler Gwent question: The Baron is dead, and I didn't play him for his card. does that lock me out of the "collecting them all" quest?

You can go into his office and grab the card off of his desk.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I started playing gwent and it was funny to hear Zoltan poo poo talking my crappy card collection after I had just finished running up the score and crushed him 146-0 in the decisive round of our game.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

theblackw0lf posted:

Wait, if you go to Radovid and don't give the crystal, but just say either she's dead or that she's trying to restore her eyesight, do you still get that option? Because that ends the quest.

You probably have to see Triss or Yen about the crystal before reporting to Radovid.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I'm actually intentionally looking for merchants and smiths to play gwent with now so I can get all of the random cards, I'm still missing Villentretenmerth, Zoltan, and Philippa but apparently there's a million low power elves and monsters that it's gonna give me first. It's starting to get hard to remember who I've already been to.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Snuffman posted:

Is it just me or are monster decks fairly counterable as long as you have a cold/melee reducer card?

Can I buy heroes somewhere? Or do I have to win them? I have the autistic child left as a "master" challenge for Velen (havent left Velen yet, must. play. cards.).

Monster decks are heavily reliant on the front row so yeah, the freeze effect will cripple them if they don't have a way to remove it. Sometimes you can trick monster decks into playing all out in the first round too, wasting all of their horde cards and leaving themselves with nothing to win the next two rounds. Or wait for them to use the Eredin ability that applies war horn to the front row and then use Scorch to nuke a bunch of them all at once.

There's a handful of heroes you get at random from beating merchants but most of them are acquired through the various quests to play named characters, and you get a couple from a Zoltan side quest as well.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Flumpus posted:

Yep, totally happy with my decision knowing how that other side plays out then...

On the contrary I actually liked how it went. Triss is adamant that she can handle herself and that Geralt needs to worry about finding information Dandelion. She brutally kills her captors and doesn't need Geralt to save her at all, and he even comments that he's never seen her so angry before. I thought it was a good character moment for her after she spent much of the second game as a damsel in distress.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Broken Cog posted:

I hope someone makes a mod that improves the inventory, or at least splits potions, bombs, and notes/books into separate tabs (seriously, why the hell are these in the same tab?).

Same thing for crafting and alchemy, where you have to scroll through giant lists instead of just selecting tabs for the appropriate category. Notes and books should be added to the glossary once you read them.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I bought formulas for enhanced Moon Dust and Northern Wind and I can't actually make them, they're not in my alchemy list. The druid ripped me off.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

mcbexx posted:

Moon Dust and Northern Wind are bugged.
You will need to craft upgrades from the base recipe up, without leaving the alchemy menu.
Once you create the first tier, the enhanced version will show up in the recipe list.
Close the tab and it will disappear again, showing only the first tier of the bomb recipes.

Same goes for superior bombs for those two. Make sure you have all the required ingredients on you and craft one tier after the other in one go.

Hm, I will have to look up what the ingredients are elsewhere since I can't actually, you know, see them in the game.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Dongattack posted:

Gwent Card DLC lol. I'm gonna get it tho, i loving love gwent, i'm sick in the head like that i guess. Never did get a sufficiently overpowered monster deck.

I didn't play gwent at all at first but once I tried it Geralt's real mission wasn't to find Ciri anymore but to complete his gay Pokemon card collection. I really only use the Northern Realms and Nilfgaard decks though.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Bort Bortles posted:

That would explain it, thanks! She is already at Kaer Morhen, though, so I'm going to guess that I am screwed because knowing this game, I will not be able to shop from her once I get to kaer Morhen.

You're not screwed, actually. Her shop is still open at Kaer Morhen. She won't be there the first time you go but advance the plot a bit and she will show up. You'll need to talk to her a few times before you get the option to ask to buy stuff.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Bort Bortles posted:

Good to know, thanks! Too bad I have not even gone to Skellige yet, Dandelion's quest chain is seriously getting tedious. Everything requires going and doing something else, which then leads to someone else that needs help. Therefore I doubt I will get to Kaer Morhen soon, but I'm pretty powerful either way so I shouldnt need the oil that much.

If you want to check the alchemy vendors on Skellige you do not have to wait to go there. The only limiting factor is paying the ship captain 1000 crowns to take you, and after that you just fast travel back and forth from the mainland. You can ignore the main quest stuff there until you're ready. I haven't quite finished the game yet but vampires don't seem to be a very common enemy anyway and mostly turn up in side quests.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I got to the end of the master armorer quest, where Geralt has to help test the armor's ability to stop crossbow bolts. The guy fires but the shot doesn't hit, and his script breaks because he doesn't fire again. I'm stuck in place and can't do anything but load my last save again. The one time the normally laser accurate archer AI just straight up misses a shot and it kills a quest.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
You can knock flying enemies down with Aard too.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Manatee Cannon posted:

Though the games paint Triss in a pretty poor light at times as well since in the first game her thing is trying to trick Geralt into thinking she was the sorceress he was in love with instead of Yennefer. She's pretty much the same in the second and third games though.

The books paint her in a pretty poor light sometimes too. The worst one is when Geralt is dying in the streets of Rivia and Triss wants to run away, but is shamed into standing and fighting when Yennefer refuses and yells at her to run back to the Lodge (whom Triss supported instead of her good friend Yennefer because she is cowed by Philippa).

Having read the whole saga I think I'm biased towards Yen as much as the people who've only played the games would be biased towards Triss.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I gotta say I was expecting more from (final boss) Eredin, he never really touched me. Imlerith put up a better fight.

I was a little disappointed at how much of a bit part Fringilla ended up having too, she was a book character I was looking forward to seeing in the games and she pretty much just stands in the background (although I laughed at how Geralt's one and only conversation option is to hit on her). One of the expansions is due to take place in Touissant where she lives so maybe she'll turn up there?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Wait a second what? I read that as Witcher Armor. Did I really miss an entire word? I'll be dressing like a prejudiced murderer?

I'm going back to sell it to the chick who made it.

You did miss a word, but I can't blame you since they keep talking about making witcher armor the whole time throughout the quest. Just sell it. The real reason you do that quest is so you can have Joana make the top tier of the Griffin/Cat/Bear gear. Same with the elf guy in Novigrad, the sword he rewards you with is garbage but he is the only one who can use the mastercraft sword schematics.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Verranicus posted:

No but you see in the NOVELS

Much of Geralt's time in the novels is spent traveling with a group of friends, who all agree to help him save a girl they've never met. His enduring friendships with Dandelion and Zoltan began there as well and were carried over into the games.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The only bomb I never really found a use for was the Dimeritium ones. Like the bestiary says that golems and leshens are vulnerable to it, but it didn't really seem to hinder them at all. Was I missing something?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Arglebargle III posted:

On the other hand this Whirl stuff is reminding me of a persistant problem with the series -- too much cool stuff is locked behind so many skill points that you need to be 3/4 of the way through the game to get it. The difficult curve is backwards and falls off a cliff halfway though as well, in all three games. There's so many cool combat synergies and RPG mechanics and but they're absent for most of the game and by the time you unlock them you don't need to bother with them because the game is so easy. The power curve really really needs to be rebalanced and that's been true for every game in the series.

It's funny because the Signs tree is actually the opposite. The cool secondary modes are easily unlocked in the second tier and the upper tiers are just boring +sign intensity increases and such that I ignored. So I played most of the game with flamethrower Igni, active shield Quen, and puppet Axii whereas I would have needed a million points into the sword and alchemy trees to get Whirl or cluster bombs.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

OK, I give up: how do you (Now or Never spoilers) ensure that Triss will show up at Kaer Morhen later if you don't tell her you love her? Do you have to be all wishy-washy and just not sleep with her? Literally every forum post I can find on this disagrees on exactly what to say and what the end-game effects are.

She just shows up at Kaer Morhen anyway if you let her get onto the ship. Yennefer asks her for help. Only ask her to stay if you want to do her romance plot.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Geralt: I'd like to play a round of cards. Gwent, specifically.
*Blacksmith stares solemnly into the distance*

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's weird that they assembled all those mages and then...did nothing with them. Like I guess they were around...just in case? I enjoyed the side quest with philippa a lot but other than that, fringilla vigo and margaritaville and co did nothing.

I guess their role was to add to Yen's bubble spell that traps the Wild Hunt. She got exhausted and couldn't maintain it on her own at Kaer Morhen so five of them casting the spell together would make it stronger or something. They probably could have given Fringilla and Rita more to do though, Rita never even cleans up the dirt on her after being freed from jail.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Ice Fist posted:

What!?

Christ I'm going to need to do another playthrough just to hear this myself.

Edit: Ok, just spoil it for me. What's she say?

Yeah, don't do another playthrough for that, it's literally only a few lines.

Philippa says that when Nilfgaard invaded Aedirn, she lost control of Saskia, who flew away. She doesn't know where she is now. Philippa shouldn't have had control of her at all in my case as I did the bit with the spell breaking dagger at the end of TW2 but I guess they didn't account for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I didn't have any issue with that one, I noticed that the monsters all came from the same direction so I just stood there and fought them as they spawned so they wouldn't get near the guy, who helpfully stayed near the middle of the area.