Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Woolie Wool posted:

Yeah, things are going to get worse, but things like the melting of the Antarctic ice cap or the horrific deoxygenation that happened on Earth in the early Triassic take a long time to happen. And I disagree that the rich will be able to keep running away until humanity is all but extinct. Even the 1% need food and land on which to grow food, and labor with which to produce the food. Robotics aren't a magic bullet, certainly not in the foreseeable future, and they won't help at all if people keep blowing up all your robots. Those people who rented luxury condos at the bottom of a missile silo may wake up one day to find chlorine gas spreading through the ventilation system.

A bunch of lazy, low IQ billionaire scions will colonize the asteroid belt after asteroid mining takes off and we get the infrastructure. It'll be an evolutionary bottleneck that'll select for inbred, classist dumbshits

Imagine a collar popped around the neck of humanity forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Hahahaha, they wish they could do that.

I'd bet that with the revolution in automation/computerization that's just starting, by the time asteroid mining kicks off in a few decades, they'll just be able to throw masses of robots at it. It'll be a short jump from there to extremely high cost spinning cylinders or toroids filled with assholes a la Villa Straylight. Once we have space infrastructure in place, it'll be easier to colonize space than planets and it'll take forever for the hoi polloi to be able to get in on it but the billionaire class'll be able to swing early adoption

Edit:

Give this job killing son of a bitch a firmware upgrade for better spatiovisual processing and you've got yourself a $30,000 combination asteroid miner-astronaut:

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 25, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Anyone following what conspiracy theorists are angling on this? I want Huckabee and the Duggars embroiled in a True Detective narrative before the primaries

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

etalian posted:

I like how Dave Barry made of fun of North Dakota and got a sewer plant named after him as a result.

That's actually pretty sweet because those are extremely valuable and key pieces of infrastructure which do work essential to supporting a first world standard of living. If the waste flushes out of sight and out of mind when I rotate the lever, it doesn't happen magically. Or if there's no back-up into my kitchen sink every other week. For the world to function, a thousand things have to go right every minute. And they have to go right reliably. The Dave Barry sewage treatment plant is one of them. Thank you, Dave Berry, whoever you are, you dependable bastard!

Confounding Factor posted:

I find sanctimony in general very irritating. This means lots of religious conservatives rub me the wrong way, too. It's just with the religious right, that's kind of the point, whereas you'd think leftists would show a little more worldly sophistication. Instead, they're often the most pompous and self-righteous of all, viz. UVA rape hoax, Trayvon, global warming mania, etc etc.

What do you mean by, "worldly sophistication," and what would you change?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 25, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Vacation Tenzin posted:

"No publicity is bad publicity!' - North Dakota and also Mike Huckabee and also Jim Bob Duggar and also other gross people previously mentioned in this thread.

Hey now, people liked True Detective and thought the pedophilic murder cult was really good tv!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
What's the single most jarring response I could give this guy?

quote:

Unless I've missed something, I find the attacks on this guy pretty weak and sad. From what I've read he did this 12 years ago and hasn't done anything since. I'm not saying he's a hero but he appears to have reformed at least in this.

I'm thinking that article about purity balls and the woman whose father used her as a marital aid, I could tie that in on cultural/ideological grounds.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

PurityCulture.txt - http://www.alternet.org/how-christian-purity-culture-enabled-my-stepfather-sexually-abuse-me

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia probably beats Duggar family therapy:

(DeVito blindly invests in a beauty pageant only to discover it's a children's pageant and he's in charge now that the organizer's been arrested)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YmDcCpD1gc&t=4s

I'm not even joking. It's 30 minutes of reinforcing the premise that it's no good diddlin kids. What did Josh get? Probably some creepy poo poo about not getting caught and language-use for passing the buck to god. He should've just watched this for three months straight A Clockwork Orange style.

PT6A posted:

I can't even imagine being so broken as to be able to rape or molest a child, even if I were turned on by idea in theory. That's a really big step to take. That's like going from thinking "wow, that chick is pretty hot," to, "'I'm going to rape her!" Only a broken, hosed up person would actually rape or molest anyone. How could you not be revolted by yourself?

If you're so hosed up that you've actually sexually abused a minor, and especially if you've done it on more than one occasion, I'm fairly okay with you being put down.

I'm inclined to think the right kind of hosed up could bring most people to such a place so I gotta say...

Rehabilitation, yo' :smith:

Edit: Imagine before you are born you know that you'll be the first born in a brutal fertility cult. Now design a justice system.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 30, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

we could just kill them

But then you've got millions of creepy dudes amped up about having killed a guy once hanging around for your entire life

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Ripoff posted:

The entire things are eye traps, those are horribly slutty ways to dress not befitting of a Christian woman.

Now these are much better:

I hope that Mike Huckabee, when president, outlaws these horribly slutty examples of clothing and brings us closer to the Duggar Christian ideal, God Willing.

I'm honestly survived Christian fundamentalism hasn't evolved to the use of burqas by now

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't think this was posted, but here's an article by a woman who escaped that lifestyle.

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/28/i_couldve_been_a_duggar_wife_i_grew_up_in_the_same_church_and_the_abuse_scandal_doesnt_shock_me/

There isn't a :stare: emoticon big enough.

It's like this cult is actually a conspiracy to breed child molesters, haha, this is evil.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Broenheim posted:

turns out its a fake/"satire"

i hate this mew trend of satire being "lies made up just to further polarizing political groups" rather then being funny and/or make an actual point

I'm not sure I'd even call that satire, but like 'black propaganda' or something. Awful material with someone else's name on it designed to just piss people off.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Edit: Misread something!

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 4, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
She keeps coming up. Is there any reason I should care who she is?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Lena Dunham is someone conservatives are pointing to right now because she did some weird stuff with her sister when she was little. It didn't constitute child molestation like what Josh did, but it's weird poo poo that she deserves to be shunned for. She also likes to paint herself as a progressive type despite having no credentials whatsoever to back that up. She was born rich, has never lifted a finger to help anyone else, the only thing she might have done was vote for progressive causes. But because that's how she likes to present herself, she's being used to obfuscate the issue.

It's telling that conservatives failed to find an equivalent outside and had to settle for projecting all over a d-list dilettante.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
TLC - 'The Human Zoo'

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

"It's none of your business!"

There's that insularity the pedophiles enjoy so much

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Looks related to the guy who played Gowron

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Sarah Palin: There’s Nothing Wrong With Sibling Molestation

quote:

“He was just a young boy being curious,” Palin said. “We’ve all been there, going through puberty and just asking questions about our body. There’s nothing wrong with sibling molestation.”

Haha

Edit: If this were the media making a mountain out of a mole hill then I'd actually give her kudos for the saying the uncomfortable thing (as I've read siblings ding donging around is borderline normal) but god drat if this isn't just minimization and an attempt to sideline the real story of the parents and the confluence of religion, conservatism and creepy sex poo poo

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 6, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Amarcarts posted:

Dress without modesty, and you will attract the worm.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I'd be down for a loveless, perfunctory marriage filled with cold, mechanical sex. Think they'd sell her to atheist for three goats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Top City Homo posted:

what will it take to shut down The Child Love network?

Do you mean TLC, the Catholic Church or British high society?

• Locked thread