Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I, too, love Mr. Robot. Good chats, ya'll. Cya next season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Next season is an anime.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Trabandiumium posted:

Next season is an anime.

They're going alphabetically. This season had alf, next season has anime,

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

SmokaDustbowl posted:

if mr robot doesn't have an incredibly nihlistic ending like terror in resonance I'm going to be really disappointed

I want Mr.Robot to end with a penultimate episode where Elliot/Mr.Robot turning directly to the camera and telling us, his imaginary friends which he now knows are realer than he'll ever be, to get off our collective couches and on to the streets ASAP and commit vile and atrocious acts of treason against the faceless capitalist overlords immediately! I f we don't we've just consumed Elliot and his loved ones as another distraction in our brainwashed lives.

The last episode will either be a pastiche of massive IRL protests cobbled together by Youtube footage or a shot o WhiteRose laughing about the predictable plebs in the ALderson family graveyard.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

man that was a really great season. how long do I have to wait until the next one?

if you have netflix and it's still up everyone should watch terror in resonance now

Man, I'm not gonna watch some nerd rear end anime-

*quietly boots up Netflix*

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
poo poo. Now I have to watch animes. :mad:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Terror in Resonance isn't very good, just watch Space Dandy instead

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Good or bad, what does it have to do with Mr Robot?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

sticklefifer posted:

poo poo. Now I have to watch animes. :mad:

There is never a reason to watch anime.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Good or bad, what does it have to do with Mr Robot?

It's a similar plot to Mr. Robot.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Vanderdeath posted:

*quietly boots up Netflix*

How the h*ck do you even direct an anime? 'hey big tits 12 year old, I want u to put more feeling into it when you say nekoooo. Really elongate those vowels''''

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

buckets of buckets posted:

How the h*ck do you even direct an anime? 'hey big tits 12 year old, I want u to put more feeling into it when you say nekoooo. Really elongate those vowels''''

I'm not sure you know what a director does.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Turn the 4d3d3d3 up and down repeatedly on this single frame of a high school girl so we really feel her embarrassment

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Which anime would elliot watch

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Serial Experiments Lain

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

man that was a really great season. how long do I have to wait until the next one?

if you have netflix and it's still up everyone should watch terror in resonance now

I can't, seeing as I can't find it ON Netflix.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Is anime-chat what inevitably happens when a TV IV thread goes through its seasonal fallowness?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Instead of watching anime, everyone should read Pattern Recognition by William Gibson.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Started reading Neuromancer which has been on my reading list for a while now thanks to whoever quoted the first sentence earlier in the thread. Bout halfway through and really enjoying it so far.

crowoutofcontext posted:

Is anime-chat what inevitably happens when a TV IV thread goes through its seasonal fallowness?

I dunno, the filler chat started around episode 8.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Is the director the guy who's directing the recording session? Like he's the one who has the voice actors do hours of non verbal grunts and gasps and mewls that happen non stop in an anime?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is the director the guy who's directing the recording session? Like he's the one who has the voice actors do hours of non verbal grunts and gasps and mewls that happen non stop in an anime?

Directors for animation set the "style" of the animation. They may also help during audio sessions or they may just hand that off to someone else, depending on how important the animation aspect is to them, since it can be all consuming. Every other animator essentially has to match the director's style. (This is for 2D.)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Snak posted:

Instead of watching anime, everyone should read Pattern Recognition by William Gibson.

I've read all of Gibson's novels. Now only anime can fill the void.

Realtalk: Directors of animated programs have to work with the writers and storyboarders fairly closely on top of working with the animation director and sound producers. It's a bonkers amount of work to produce a live action thing but animation is even crazier.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Key: The Metal Idol

e: The best William Gibson novel is coincidentally his most recent, The Peripheral. Mona Lisa Overdrive is a close second.

Skizzzer posted:

Started reading Neuromancer which has been on my reading list for a while now thanks to whoever quoted the first sentence earlier in the thread.

You're welcome! Always glad to spread the Gospel of the Gibson

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Vanderdeath posted:

I've read all of Gibson's novels. Now only anime can fill the void.

Realtalk: Directors of animated programs have to work with the writers and storyboarders fairly closely on top of working with the animation director and sound producers. It's a bonkers amount of work to produce a live action thing but animation is even crazier.

yeah maybe but I think its mainly what I said

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Key: The Metal Idol

e: The best William Gibson novel is coincidentally his most recent, The Peripheral. Mona Lisa Overdrive is a close second.

You're welcome! Always glad to spread the Gospel of the Gibson

The Peripheral is good, but I don't like it as much as Pattern Recognition or Count Zero. You shouldn't read them back to back, though, because they are actually the same story. Pattern Recognition is just not set in the Sprall, but rather in the modern day.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

yeah maybe but I think its mainly what I said

Fair dinkum, as the antipodals say

Pattern Recognition is my favorite Gibson novel then Neuromancer. I still want a miniseries based on the Sprawl Trilogy on HBO or one of the streaming services.

e: Huh. Apparently I haven't read All Tomorrow's Parties on my Kindle, so I guess I have that to look forward to.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 29, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vanderdeath posted:

e: Huh. Apparently I haven't read All Tomorrow's Parties on my Kindle, so I guess I have that to look forward to.

That one is probably third or tied for second best overall Gibson novel, and in many ways it's my favorite because it so perfectly uses... whatever the opposite of "purple prose" is... stark? Spartan? Anyway, the whole novel reads like a neverending Zen poem, which probably intentionally ties directly into the novels main theme, "always do the exactly correct thing at the exactly correct time with minimal excess effort". I don't even mind that the novel's central character is literally William Gibson crossed with Jason Bourne.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Vanderdeath posted:

Fair dinkum, as the antipodals say

Pattern Recognition is my favorite Gibson novel then Neuromancer. I still want a miniseries based on the Sprawl Trilogy on HBO or one of the streaming services.

Yeah, I like Gibson's more scifi work a lot, but reading Pattern Recognition, I felt like the more realistic setting gave the characters and ideas a chance to stand completely on their own and they did. Like when a bunch of high-concept scifi stuff is going on, it's basically screaming "here are the ideas this book is about", and the more down-to-earth setting let the ideas emerge a little more organically.

Regardless, they are both really great books.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I love how Pattern Recognition predicted both YouTube series' like Marble Hornets and creepypasta in a way that you wish his vision would have hewed closer to the reality we got.

I also love how Zero History is a science fiction novel about pants.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
I so mary-sued all over Pattern Recognition. Read it many times in many hospitals and ERs. (Thanks, Ehlers Danlos Syndrome ya dickbag). Glad to see fellow goons love it as well.

AwkwardKnob posted:

This is kind of why I stopped watching anime.

I used to love - and tracked down - basically all the high-class feature film length stuff. The classic "good" movies like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Studio Ghibli's stuff and so on.

Ran out of that kind of stuff reaaaaal quick.

GitS was my first (and only) foray into it and it blew my mind. Have watched it and a companion DVD or two each year. I appreciate it so much. man, machine, the tachis.. come on. Splendidly written and exquisitely VA'd.
I have not gone back into that genre because you 'never forget your first,' and with that appreciation for GitS plus it being first, where do I go from here? You know? Je ne comprends pas, mais. c'est tu.

Good lord jesus I cannot wait for the next season. Ung.

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 30, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So USA has a new show called Falling Water, and the reason I mention it is because one of the main characters is basically the main character of Pattern Recognition. She's a cool-hunter, who a mysterious benefactor contacts to interpret dream information for him...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish I knew how you get a job as a Cool Hunter, because I know they actually do exist. I think I'd be good at it, since I have apophenia at least as bad as Gibson/Cayce's.

I think you probably have to live in LA or NYC.

e: Just watched the first episode of Falling Water, it was VERY good. It bears superficial similarities to Sense8, at least aesthetically, but I don't think it's trying to rip that show off. Also, the Gibson referencing must be intentional, since her mysterious benefactor has a name similar to "Bigend" and is from Iceland, whereas Bigend was from the Netherlands? I think? Anyway, it seemed super intentional. The dude even acts like Bigend.

precision fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 30, 2016

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Cool hunting is dead.

The only honest to goodness cool hunters now are trend forecasters.

Instagram is the closest you get to it, and most of that poo poo is still sponsored.

Even your every day industrial designer gets most of their inspo from Instagram these days, thus feeding back into itself.

Your footwear designers get wgsn forecasts and still design within brand languages, tho they might pay lip service to democratizing design.

Design will eat itself.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I hate being That Guy but did we ever find out why the FBI and the nation as a whole consider Tyrell to be the mastermind of 5/9? Or is that still part of the 3-day gap?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

He was loving around with cs30 and Gideon, for starters.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gnossiennes posted:

Cool hunting is dead.

The only honest to goodness cool hunters now are trend forecasters.

Instagram is the closest you get to it, and most of that poo poo is still sponsored.

Even your every day industrial designer gets most of their inspo from Instagram these days, thus feeding back into itself.

Your footwear designers get wgsn forecasts and still design within brand languages, tho they might pay lip service to democratizing design.

Design will eat itself.

I mean, "cool hunting" was never really a mainstream or common profession. Even Cayse's job in Pattern Recognition is literally just that of a design consultant. The only reason people hire her is because her track record is really good.

And yes, the fact that everyone posts their own style on the internet means that no one has to leave a desk to survey current trends.

I assume Tyrell being a suspect in a high profile murder case at ECorp near the time of the 5/9 hacks really helps move him to the top of the list. Like, sure it could be coincidence, but considering his ties to known people involved in the hacks, it doesn't seem like a stretch that he would be the prime suspect.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Snak posted:

I mean, "cool hunting" was never really a mainstream or common profession. Even Cayse's job in Pattern Recognition is literally just that of a design consultant. The only reason people hire her is because her track record is really good.

And yes, the fact that everyone posts their own style on the internet means that no one has to leave a desk to survey current trends.

Scott Westerfield had a book back in 2004 about cool hunting and it's corporate ties, which was my first intro into it.

Cool hunting as a practice is kinda neat though. Part of my job includes trend documenting because my company isn't invested in design to a point where WGSN or other forecasters are used. It's a niche market (test equipment) but I document design trends in a wide variety -- mid to high end consumer goods (with a focus on prosumer), not just electronics, but also housewares and tools, and also trends in graphic design and illustration. But I'm one person and not a consultancy (and I still gotta do my main job, designing stuff), so what I can do is nothing close to what actual market researchers do. I use their data when I can :ssh:

I should read pattern recognition. But I never finished neuromancer :(. I just didn't get as into it and I think I was reading Snow Crash at the same time and preferred that (since it's faster paced/easier to get through). I'll try pick it back up this weekend, but it's been a good four or five years since then.

Also as a person who likes anime (and MAPPA) and Mr Robot, why should I watch terror in resonance?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

LentThem posted:

I hate being That Guy but did we ever find out why the FBI and the nation as a whole consider Tyrell to be the mastermind of 5/9? Or is that still part of the 3-day gap?

He was the one that ordered the hacked honeypot server to be put back into normal operation, which allowed the hack to go through. On top of that, he was wanted for Sharon Knowles murder and then dropped off the face of the earth after the hack. That's probably enough regardless of what happened in the 3 days.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

LentThem posted:

Tyrel left work with explicit instructions to his entire staff that left everything vulnerable and prevented Allsafe/Gideon from rescuing anything. It would be nice to know if the media/FBI is spinning his motive as revenge (which doesn't make sense because 5/9 would have had to be planned before his firing), plain mental instability, or political sympathy with FSociety.

Colby's framing in the first season bothered me a lot more. Colby was a senior member of E-Corp who was shown to have pretty much been a careerist who did a lot of dickish things to get where he was. Wouldn't the more critical thinking members of the media as well as anyone in the FBI be highly skeptical that he was "the leader of FSociety" or involved in radical left-wing hacktivism against a company he's presumably worked for his entire adult life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
They might've. Wasn't he cleared of charges? He shows up in a scene with Price this season - looks like he's still working.

• Locked thread