Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

eightpole posted:

Translated, this means roughly "If you have any ham I will kill you" since danes are very sensitive about pork.

The literal translation is "If you have any ham I will beat you to death".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Grem posted:

So this whole Tyrell being Elliot thing has to be buried after the considering there's a huge man hunt for Tyrell and Elliot is just chillin' at the park half the day.

Tyrells face is on Elliot's butt. Every time you see Tyrrell on the show, it's actually Elliot walking on his hands and wearing fake hands as socks.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

We were saying the same thing about the dad being all in his head last year. Boy how dumb that twist would be, just like from that movie!

But they made it good.

I don't think it was supposed to be a plot twist at all. It was confirmed in one of the the very first episodes, when Elliot jumped off that pier and there were witnesses around him saying that he jumped and wasn't pushed by Mr. Robot. The only real plot twist was the sister reveal and almost no one saw that one coming. It was really well done.

Similarly, I don't think the asylum theory is supposed to be plot twist, it's pretty obvious to everyone that he isn't at his mother's house. We don't know the details yet, but he is definitely in some type of institution.

IMO it's all done intentionally to create a paranoid atmosphere and make the viewer doubt reality and the characters, just like Elliot does all the time.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

OK, this is getting ridiculous. Is there even a single scene that didn't have asylum hints?

Asylum theory is gonna be the distraction this season so that people don't see the real plot twist coming.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Varam posted:

Uh, no, that's not what happened at all. Mr. Robot pushed him off the pier at the very end of episode 2, then Mr. Robot was revealed to be Elliot's imaginary dead father in episode 9, and finally in episode 10 Elliot looked himself up and found the youtube video of himself jumping off of the pier.

Nope. In the following episode where he wakes up at the hospital, he has to speak to a psychiatrist before he is allowed to leave because witnesses at the pier reported that he jumped and there was no one with him that could have pushed him.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Varam posted:

No, that literally never happens. Here's the exchange between Elliot and Krista at the hospital:

Krista: Do you remember requesting me from the staff? You requested me because the police said --
Elliot: I got jumped by a bunch of kids, it's not the end of the world
Krista: They wanted to do a full drug panel, and you refused.

I dunno, maybe I made the witness part up in my mind. What definitely happened is that the hospital put him on suicide watch and tried to do a drug screening because of what police told them. It was at least heavily implied that he jumped.

I only remember that when I watched that scene it completely removed any doubt that they are doing Fight Club.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What's the Venn diagram for people who watch Mr. Roboto and are also triggered by the word "gently caress"? Two circles on opposing sides of the universe?

Why do advertisers even care about this bullshit? Don't they have detailed numbers on what target groups are watching this show?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

IRC the prison theory came up before the institution theory itt, but it made much less sense overall, so it was dismissed. For example, there is this one pyromaniac, insane looking woman hanging around in the courtyard, Elliot is allowed to have a journal and carry it around with him wherever he goes, Leon is binge watching Seinfeld, Elliot has therapy sessions with his own private therapists, etc.

I really like that they are showing the real consequences of crashing the world economy this season. S1 portrayed the hack as something noble that would set the world free, while this season they are showing how it mostly hosed over normal people and didn't achieve jackshit otherwise. Everyone seems to still have their loans, but now they are also unemployment and homelessness in addition to that. That's how revolutions generally work out, stuff gets much worse for a long time before it starts getting better.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Woden posted:

He's paranoid about the 16 people or whatever it was being tracked so thinks they're all being followed, watching from afar to see if she has a tail makes more sense now that I think about it.

Yeah, he isn't sure that his phone isn't being tracked. That's why he put it on that guy's bicycle, instead of a trash can. It will take a while to notice that he ditched it, if the phone is still moving.

My guess is that he really wanted to meet her, but got caught by the dark army before he made it to the restaurant. They saw that he was taken in by the FBI and that he is ditching his phone and freaked.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Darlene is weird. She doesn't show up in any of Elliot's childhood flashbacks and she is never really acknowledged by Mr. Robot.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The pop corn machine is Elliot

let me get my notes, I'm gonna explain it to you

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The microstamping thing is trolling by the producers. You know how most movies have completely nonsensical hacking scenes because nobody notices or cares except a small demographic of nerds? This is the same thing, but for guns. Nobody except hard core gun "enthusiasts" and Americans even knows what microstamping is and wouldn't even care if they knew, cause it's inconsequential to the plot.

They are making fun of pedantic techie nerds.

Original theory © 2016, do not steal; call me of you would like to use this theory for your own posts

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mameluke posted:

Also if Elliot is Darlene how did he seduce Cisco and the gun guy, and how did he hack into the women's ballet class? And if Darlene is Elliot how did she get sentenced to a men's prison?

I think the answer is pretty obvious: Elliot/Darlene is transgender and can pass as both, man and woman.

e: He/she is a hermaphrodite and can retract his/her various genitalia at will. Transgender has been a huge subject this season, with the introduction of Whiterose.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Zurui posted:

Not to spoil you too much, but Mr. Robot is Fight Club except it takes mental illness seriously and ditches all of the irony and deals with the ramifications of its plot development instead of cutting to black over a Pixies song. Also it's written well so the "reveals" and "twists" aren't just gotchas but dramatic and important moments for the characters.

This

Also, the Fight Club book had a whole class warfare theme going, which was almost completely cut from the movie.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Snak posted:

What movie did you watch?

Nah, it's much more explicit in the book. Like, one time they get hired to cater for a whodunit murder LARP party of some rich people and they exchange the blanks in the prop murder gun with live ammunition and let the rich people kill themselves. All that time the book goes on about how disgusting and decadent the rich are while people slave away at McD for poo poo wages that they can't feed their kids with.

The book is basically about how we really need to reform this entire bullshit system and the Tyler movement had legitimately good points and ideas, but as always, it turned into a decadent, self-indulgent and disgusting cult. And that's why we can never have nice things.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Snak posted:

I guess I just still thought that's what the movie is about. Of course a book is going to have more examples, it's longer and has more content.

I dunno, I remember the movie going more into the direction of society being hosed up(consumerism, gender roles, corporate culture, family structures, etc.)

The book is more explicitly saying to eat the rich and burn their houses. But yeah, that's just my impression.

Interestingly, Mr. Robot seems to have dropped the machismo and family structure angle completely.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Here is how you do a real hacking scene, pack it in you amateurs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Hn1rPQouU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Snak posted:

I just finished last night's episode. I skipped about 197 posts in this thread (which I will go back and read tomorrow morning) because I wanted to say my poo poo.

At this point I am wondering if phase 2 is dependent on shifting the world economy to cryptocurrency. Like, phase one crashed the regular economy, that never ends in fixing any kind of class struggle. Everything that's happened, up until now, is pushing the world towards a place where ECoin and Bitcoin are the future of currency. There is an obvious advantage for Price, as his money is gaining value. But what if Elliot has a way to compromise ECoin? What is happening is that that wealth is moving from existing structures into Elliot's domain. The attack on Ray's site? Where "the bitcoin wallets kept emptying themselves" and he didn't know why? Maybe that was a test. That was Whiterose's interest in that whole chain of events. They got to test their cryptocurrency destabilization exploit on an economy that wouldn't be able to out their exploit and it got shut-down before anyone realized what happened to it. The FBI doesn't even know about the problems Ray was having, they just busted him for black-market poo poo. So maybe, everything, the 5/9 attacks, Whiterose and Price working together, Tyrell, maybe it's all part of Mr. Robot and Elliot's plan to get the whole world running on cryptocurrency, so they can use their powers to truly redistribute wealth and power.

The problem with this theory is that cryptocurrencies don't really add anything of value to the world.

The season one plot of erasing all debt was also pretty nonsensical, but at least it made sense on a superficial, emotional level(crippling medical debts are a travesty that shouldn't even exist) and was also a homage to Fight Club.

But bitcoins? What positive effect could that ever have on the world? How does it solve income inequality on a national or international level? How does it stop the abuse of power by large companies or their disproportional influence on political decision making? It's just a very expensive, slow, inefficient and easy exploitable way of cashless payment.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

Apparently part of the very last scene at the end of next week's episode was just leaked.

From Reddit:

Phillip Price: Your appointment to FEMA should be finalized within the week. I've already discussed the matter with the Senator.

White Rose: I take it he was agreeable?

Phillip Price: He didn't really have a choice.

White Rose: Has he been infected?

Phillip Price: Oh yes, most certainly. When I mentioned we could put him on the priority list for the Ambrosia vaccine, he was so willing it was almost pathetic.

White Rose: This plague -- the rioting is intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain it.

Phillip Price: Why contain it? Let it spill over into the schools and churches, let the bodies pile up in the streets. In the end, they'll beg us to save them.

Hell yeah, they are going full Illuminati. There is a world conspiracy to dramatically reduce the world population with a "natural" epidemic and then create a sustainable, stable and prospering post-industrial global society out of the ashes.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This show reminds me so much of an old game called "Fate of World" where you play as a global organizations and try to survive climate change and transition to a sustainable global society.

The best way to play is to massively support energy research in North America, brutally bootstrap China into prosperity and then use their economic power to transition them away from oil/coal to natural gas and later renewables/biofuels/nuclear. Also contain the financial industry with a transaction/tobin tax to raise funds and stop them from periodically crashing the world economy. :tinfoil:

Ultra fun fact: it's extremely difficult to save the India region from total ecological and social collapse, so it's best to get the gently caress out of there for 50 years, pray that no nuclear exchange happens, and let them eat themselves. After they are down to 500mio people you can get back in and try to unfuck them.

I think there was even an expansion that added all kinds of Illuminati black-ops poo poo like artificial epidemics, hacking attacks, assassinations and so on.

If you ever wanted to roleplay as Whiterose or Price give it a shot.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Snak posted:

Well I'm not saying that it makes any real sense, but the idea is that Elliot, being a super wizard-class hacker, will be able to directly redistribute wealth in a bitcoin economy in a way that he can't a regular one. So, phase one, create a world where bitcoins are as real and legally binding as real dollars, phase two, untraceably redistribute wealth as he sees fit. Elliot lets ECorp force lobby all these laws legitimizing and validating ECoin, but Price straight up said that he will have a backdoor into every wallet created, that he will control the means of the production. If Elliot has a way to compromise this, he might have a way to completely rob ECorp of their money, and distributed it in a way whose ownership is legally enforceable, due to the very laws ECorp had passed.

Here is the thing that bothers me though: Ecorp already had backdoor access to every customer account, they are a bank. I don't see how tacking on a block chain is going to give them anymore power over anything.

Elliot redistributing money illegally would be just plain theft and treated accordingly by authorities. No one would be able to just keep their stolen money, without laundering it mob style. Not to mention that a currency that can be stolen from you, at will, by a single guy would have zero trust and would be abandoned almost immediately, therefore losing all its value.

There is really nothing magical about currencies. Historically multiple countries have voided their entire existing money supply almost over night and replaced it with a new currency (as happened in eastern Europe multiple times during the 90s, when they recovered from hyperinflation). Money is just paper, it's abstract, symbolic, the value of that paper comes from authorities that are backing it.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Snak posted:

I don't know a whole lot about how bitcoins work. My understand is that freshly mined coins have no transaction history until they are "spent" (undergo their first transaction) and are thus completely anonymous. So if you were able to steal someone's bitcoins after they were mined before they were used, the theft would be completely untraceable and unverifiable. I.e. ECorp couldn't even take the crime to court because ownership of the coins can't be verified in any way.

Of course legally verifiable theft wouldn't work, it would be treated as such. This concept hinges on Elliot having a way to redistribute bitcoins with ECorp having no legal recourse to trace or identify the stolen funds. Which is a pretty ridiculous concept in real life, but I'm not sure it's out of line with the type of things that are happening in the show.

edit: And also I'm not suggesting that Elliot would just declaire "I am stealing everyone's money as I see fit!" That's ridiculous. But if ECorp is successful in bailing out the global economy using ECoins, and the Elliot starts stealing ECoins from ECorp, it's not like ECorp is going to announce that it's happening if they realize that something is going wrong. If Elliot has a mechanism where he can make ECorp essentailly donate ECoins to people without them knowing who the money is going to and the people knowing where it came from, ECorp isn't going to want to destroy trust in the currency, they still need it.

The mining part of Bitcoin is only a temporary mechanic that is supposed to incentivize the buildup of a decentralized server infrastructure. It is slowly being phased out in favour of only charging transaction fees by the server operators. After it's phased out, no new Bitcoin can ever be created. I don't think Ecorp would even bother with the mining part, if they are building a central infrastructure.

Also, these mined Bitcoin don't just create value out of nothing, they acquire it through inflation and diluting the value of every other Bitcoin. (Just like every central bank doesn't just create wealth by printing money. Inflation is ultimately a transfer mechanism.) There is no imaginable scenario where people end up with money, that wasn't taken from someone else and this someone else not noticing sooner or later.

Theoretically, Ecorp could suddenly and massively devalue their currency and create a worldwide wealth distribution this way. But hyperinflation like this happened before and it does not create an utopia or a new world order. Usually the powerful people stay in power, because they physically own the means of production(companies, machines, real estate, political offices, etc.), the old hyper-inflated currency is abandonned, the economy collapses and everything goes back to normal after a while, with everyone swearing to never repeat the mistakes that lead to this.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I seriously doubt that Tyrell is alive. How could he have remained hidden for so long, with the whole world(including ecorp) looking for him? And then he just walks around in a business suit and gets into a taxi?

Also, regarding all the robot theories: Tyrell Corporation was the name of the replicant company in Blade Runner.:tinfoil:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Welp, that was a very unfortunate ending. The big plot reveal is that they are doing the Big Hack II: Analog Boogaloo. Nothing gets resolved between Mr. Robot and Elliot, nor with Angela or White Rose.

Maybe it's not such a good idea to stretch out a movie plot to 6 seasons and a movie. Feels pretty thin.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

3peat posted:

You should have been there for true detective season 1

I wasn't there to witness it but I heard people here were seriously convinced that CGI Chutullu would show up in the finale and bitchslap Woody Harrelson around. Not that I was very surprised after "Shannon was stabbed" ... but still :wtc:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It's cold fusion

Gonna save the world from ecological collapse, prevent wars for fossil fuels and finally bring us flying cars.

Plot twist is that it requires an exotic rare earth that can only be found in the Congo. Whiterose will mine it all and hide it all away, only releasing it to the world under the condition that we stop making GBS threads where we eat and also that American Imperator Donald the Beautiful abdicates from his throne of skulls

I dare you to come up with a dumber theory, I double date you :colbert:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It's not actually that important at his point, but how realistic is the stuxnet-type attack on generators anyway?

My guess would be that it's completely impossible to pull off due to the generators not being networked devices and batteries usually being stored in large, separate and well ventilated rooms.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Zzulu posted:

I don't like it when the Swedish Tyrell talks to his danish wife in Swedish and her to him in Danish. It is very unrealistic as in reality, no one understands danish

They are talking Swedish? I thought it was supposed to be Dutch.

All these knockoff German languages sound the same to me, just a bunch of guttural sounds and hisses

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Dexter should've followed the 2nd book. But not the 3rd. The 3rd book sucked.

Stop talking about Dexter. If you mention that show too often, it will come back an scratch your eyes out. :chloe:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I've finally caught up with this show and I like this season much better.

The entire hacking plot was finally confirmed to just be naive :jerkbag: that didn't achieve anything and only made life more miserable for regular people. The rich and powerful weren't affected by it in anyway and just used the circumstances to further their own goals. :thumbsup: Next time use your l33t hacking skill to help Bernie win the primaries, you dumbass.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

kustomkarkommando posted:

No not in real life.

Whiterose mentioned coltan mines at the end of season 1 which probably just means the Congo features as the writers have combined some half-remembered stories about "China takes over Africa" and the coltan smuggling during the Second Congo War to feed high demand for consumer electronics with coltan = wonder tech substance in the context of the story.

Yeah, none of this would ever happen in real life. The economic, political and demographic dynamics are totally different today than they were in the 19th century, when Africa was first colonized. IRC Congo has now a population of around 100 mio people and it makes absolutely no sense for China to take on these people as citizens and/or dependents, just to exploit some natural resources. Neocolonialism works absolutely fine for that and there is zero reason to go beyond that.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Volmarias posted:

It's not like pollution stops this in the third world now anyway.

My guess is that it's so that WR can better exert secrecy over their project (can't send UN inspectors to "China")

Yeah, I think that's what they are going for. It's probably supposed to be Zhang's private fief now where he can run his secret experiments undisturbed and build his secret evil lair.

This reminds me again of the "Fate of the World" game where you try to keep the rise in global temperatures below 2°C by the year 2100. In the beginning, the developing world is always your main focus, but you also need a strong presence in the developed countries because they are the only ones with the technological and scientific base to develop the new biofuel or power generation technologies needed to achieve your goals. Sometimes around 2050 China usually catches up though and you can move all the research funding and projects over there. If Zhang started his power plant/particle accelerator project ~20 years ago, he could have only build it somewhere in the west. But now that China has caught up a lot to the west, he doesn't need American scientific and engineering expertise anymore and get the gently caress out to somewhere else.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Quantum computers are hilarious because so many people spend so much time jerking themselves off about how amazing they're going to be that the just quietly ignore the fact that literally every quantum computer that has ever been built either doesn't work or doesn't do anything regular computers can do. "futurists" are the most gullible motherfuckers out there.

Working quantum computers have existed for many years now. They are devices that are intended to accelerate certain types of algorithms, they are not general purpose computers and never will be.

Also, the cost per qubit has been constantly going down over the years and there is now a commercial machine available. IBM is releasing their own commercial product next year.

Also also, the effects of quantum computers on cryptography are generally overstated. We already have encryption algorithms that can't be accelerated by quantum computing. And at the current pace of progress, we are going to have more than enough time to switch our infrastructure over to these new algorithms as more and more powerful QCs hit the market. High performance quantum computing would only wreck havoc if it were to hit a completely unprepared world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Semiconductor manufacturing involves lots of toxic, carcinogenic chemicals. But it's not like particle physicists or computer engineers are actually dangerous jobs in real life. Him getting cancer from that doesn't make much sense either way.

Also, they definitely showed a LHC inspired CGI model. It wasn't a mistake, they knew what they were doing. If it's a quantum computer, it's one that is shaped like particle collider.

• Locked thread