Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ashpanash posted:

I don't understand? I'm not necessarily defending the storytelling decision (that would depend on how it was executed) - I'm just saying that I think the story may well be leading us in this direction. I don't think you can argue that it's at least a direction the show could go, not that it absolutely will go that way.

The show has already done Fight Club. It doesn't need to do it each season. Then next season Elliot will end up being his sister as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

WampaLord posted:

The institution theory could be true, by why would he still be seeing his old therapist instead of one at the institution?

I think constantly trying to have a "big twist" isn't something this show should be about, I really don't want it to become hacker :lost:.

Screenshots that hint at something with his therapist: http://imgur.com/a/ga7WR

furthering:

Benson Cunningham posted:

He has an established relationship with an existing psychologist. Common sense makes me think its reasonable for him to continue seeing her. That said, I have zero personal experience in how these things work. Even if I did though, TV! Plus the psychologist and her role in the story is established to us, the audience, so replacing her with a different character we don't know who serves the same purpose seems wasteful.

Agreed.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

We were saying the same thing about the dad being all in his head last year. Boy how dumb that twist would be, just like from that movie!

But they made it good.

I honestly groaned at the reveal of season 1 at first watch. But on rewatch and with the new season it really made up for it in the way that they are potentially going treat mental illness seriously and not as a gimmick (a la Fight Club).

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

I don't know if I was just conscious of it because I know Jst0rm posts here or what, but I'm really noticing the sound mix so far this season. I was impressed by the scenes taking place in bars and public places, where the people on camera really don't seem like they're the only ones having conversations. I can distinctly hear snippets of other people talking over them and have to strain slightly to hear what the actors are saying, just like you really would in a public place.

It is really good. I have a small surround setup and the Gideon bar scene felt like being right there next to them with people talking right behind me.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

empty baggie posted:

The outlets on the wall are in different places also.

Whole room seems slightly different. Bookshelves placement, sizes, etc. but those might be unintentional. The lamp is the biggest change in the room.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Varam posted:

Uh, no, that's not what happened at all. Mr. Robot pushed him off the pier at the very end of episode 2, then Mr. Robot was revealed to be Elliot's imaginary dead father in episode 9, and finally in episode 10 Elliot looked himself up and found the youtube video of himself jumping off of the pier.

The best hints I remember are in the episode when Mr Robot shows up at Allsafe then they go get an Appletini and you realize Elliot is just there by himself with the bartender.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

I wish they'd drop the l33t speak thing, it hasn't been cool in like a decade now. ever

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

kill me now posted:

Can the thread tittle be "Mr. Robot v2.0 - "drat this dish is immaculate!"

"Mr. Robot v2.0 - :shlick: "

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

It's also the name of an opera about a woman who puts on a disguise. Don't know the significance of any of this yet.

:crossarms:

From what I remember it's about a woman who goes undercover to rescue her husband from prison. While Angela is definitely in disguise (trying to fool herself) she's more out to get answers and hold those responsible for her and Elliot's family accountable.

geeves fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 23, 2016

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

timp posted:

Holy poo poo she just said cunty on cable TV.

I can't stop staring at her wall eye.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

"Once I get my DJ career going." :lol:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Elliot is going to end up hacking into FBI girl's phone. Or he already has and he's secretly harryhorndog / Dominique's cybersex friend.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Queue raiders of the lost arc music.

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Do you mean the music when Elliot dons the mask? Cuz that's Neptune, the Mystic from Gustav Holst's The Planets. When the title card pops up, it transitions to Mars, the Bringer of War:black101:

Which was really awesome. Definitely can hear who inspired John Williams and a plethora of other modern composers.

Mars is the first track. Neptune is the last track at ~41:10 (the whole thing is worth a listen)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isic2Z2e2xs

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Acinonyx posted:

because he's probably really good at hacking the FBI which will be much more entertaining to watch!

Better luck next time, slugheads!

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Gah human trafficking :gonk:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Let's commit an act of war! :haw:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Elliot reacting to being censored was great.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Me neither.

Great weird episode. A bit slow and the sitcom segment was maybe a bit too long, but awesome anyway. loving Alf, that was something I didn't see coming.

But goddam they leave us in two cliffhangers like that, I wish I could binge what this poo poo

Tyrell is definitely dead.

I'm not convinced that Tyrell is dead. Especially after the latest episode. I think we're seeing what Mr. Robot wants Elliot to see which is full of just enough truth to continue to gain Elliot's trust.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

What was the symbolism of the ALF driving a car? In the original ALF show he wasn't able to do things like drive. I think him learning to drive was a foreshadowing of Angela learning to hack.

Who cares? It was loving ALF!

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Goddamn Leon! So White Rose has been looking out for Elliot?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I couldn't understand what he said to Elliot toward the end there. Something say Such and Such I did right.

White Rose.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

No.1 Special posted:

So it was just straight up jail. Not even an asylum. Just Jail.

But what for? Not killing Tyrell (but he may have done that - I don't think he did though) since everyone thinks he's on the run. And this pretty much rules out that he killed the guy in his garden (but Mr Robot could have ordered it)

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Snak posted:

How did nobody call prison? all the flimsy stuff in the institution theory make perfect sense in a prison. I didnt even call it mid-episode when they were visually referencing the poo poo out of American History X's rape scene.

From mid-July - teeters between jail and asylum:

LentThem posted:

That scene (and sound effect) along with stuff like basketball in The Yard, the cafeteria he thinks is a diner, the strict routine that isn't really his routine, and the bed-making all had me convinced he's in a minimum-security prison. Gideon coming to get Elliot to admit he wasn't part of the hack makes it seem like everyone else knows Elliot was in on it, and probably related to him being in jail. If not that, then related to Tyrell missing.

But they don't have enough information or a confession, so they have his old therapist come, hoping he'll open up to her.

Edit: Okay looking back at the basketball stuff and how lovely everyone is playing, I'm leaning more towards asylum, but with the same end goal

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

insider posted:

So just caught up last night.

I liked the reveal and how obvious it was after the fact.

I also love how season 1 was Fight Club and season 2 is the Shawshank Redemption. The Shawshank similarities in that episode were pretty blatant. All the chess references, the friendship of Elliot/Leon and Andy/Red (and how they sit on the identical benches with the scenes set up the same way), the Bogs rape scene, the isolation cell after disobeying the Warden, the fact the Warden (Ray) is doing illegal poo poo and Elliot/Andy take them down just as they are released/escape. I bet Elliot is also in prison for a crime he didn't commit.

Some Shutter Island too

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

Though I still can't look at Cisco and not see Turtle from Entourage if he lost weight.

Turtle did lose weight!

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

Thats a trick because there are only 30 days in August

:allears:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

timp posted:

Wonder who will get to Cisco first, the Dark Army or the FBI. Either way he is Capital F hosed

Darlene :ohdear:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

LmaoTheKid posted:

Was that the song from BttF in the gym?

Yep!

Edit: and more music that was in BttF!

geeves fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 15, 2016

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Tyrell!!!!!??

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Out of everything great in the episode, I think my favorite part was Price going,"Beat you? Come on, you've known me for so many years you should know me better by now.... I don't care about you at all!"

That was ice cold and I wish I had someone in my life who I hated that much so I could say it to them.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Jesus. How much of this was a single shot?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

J33uk posted:

There were plenty of cheats in there but who cares. The effect was awesome.

Agreed. I should have used "long shot" (ala Birdman). But it just made it all the more tense for what ~10+ minutes

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Hah - Mar-a-Lago Club. Missing a lot of gaudy gold everywhere.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

:stare:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

timp posted:

This episode may not have confirmed that time travel/alternate dimensions is possible, but in my eyes it definitely confirmed that Angela 100% believes that to be true.

What episode sparked this time travel/alternate dimensions thinking?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

Question about people that work in IT.

Is one of your co-workers having an episode and smashing their computer or smashing their head against pipes unremarkable? Those two unnamed dudes seem remarkably chill about it.

A former coworker developed tourettes and OCD and went to check his blood pressure 3-4 times per day.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

So this is about cobalt-thorium g. I knew the plant whiterose was building was something nefarious.

White Rose read it in the NY Times.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Chadzok posted:

jesus christ thread, how can you be so bad at watching a simple show

It's still better than a LOST thread.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

PunkBoy posted:

This episode is sad. :(

EDIT: Maybe not. :unsmith:

It's both. The episode is a eulogy to Trenton and Mobley and definitely how you do characters, even if minor, justice in the narrative. It shows that Trenton and Mobley weren't just brought back to service the plot, but that they really meant something to Elliot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Angela :ohdear:

• Locked thread