Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2 | Cold -1. | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Suspicious
Location: The Revival Tent

I won't lie - I don't "get" it. Why a man would look at other men in a certain way when girls are the way they are. But I'd rather not have Maple think I'd condemn her to fire and brimstone because she had some thoughts spurred on by desperation.

"I mean, I don't really understand homosexuality, such as it is. It seems like things are set up a certain way for a reason. But it was that line of thinking that led the citizens of Sodom and Gomorrah to try and invade Lot's home."

A bit of a waffle, if you looked at it too closely. But that would require intellect and the patience for careful examination, and they're in blessedly short supply in this town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 0/5, Conditions: Hiding Something, Terrified

Now what in the actual infierno was the Doc rambling about? Did he mean Jemma, or did someone else do something stupid? I gave Jemma a questioning look, but she sort of shrugged. Either the Doc was assuming more than what was actually going on here, or someone else had some explaining to do, later. I'd have to get everyone together at the Saloon and figure this out, later. I might have to expand the job, I guess. This guy was giving me the stink eye, which meant he was suspicious. So my being around the revival tent wasn't going to work with just Jemma, especially since she's being seen with me.

"Please, continue your sermon senor, I am finding it most enlightening." I responded with a forced smile at him. Maybe I'd end this cabrone on my way out of town, as a going away present to the citizens. I think that might be a sweet gesture.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 1 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Terrified

Oh gosh. Everyone's lookin' at me. Consarnit, Miss Abigail! As Mr. Robinson and Maple needle me, I break out in a cold sweat, tears wellin' up in my eyes. I'm jus' a normal girl, I can't take this kinda pressure!

Holding steady! 6. gently caress.
Well, that's an advance and I take one to Hot.


"CONSARN IT, IT'S NOTHIN'!" I yell before I can catch myself doin' it and quickly clasp my hands over my mouth. I done goofed up.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 5/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed

Well well. Something's really eating Polly. Well I won't let it escape me whatever it is. "Oh my my, dear Polly is the heat getting to you?" I fan my hand at her forehead. "Let's get you out of this stuffy tent." I practically shove her outside with me. Once we're clear of prying eyes my feigned concern goes back to my predatory grin. "Now what's the matter Polly? You know I can't stand known unknowns. We can do this the easy way." I take her hand and press close to her. "Or I'm prepared to work for it. So what's the scoop, girl?"

turn on, firestarter shapphic 7 polly is a tough nut to crack

Taking Be The Moon

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at Jul 21, 2015 around 14:26

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 1 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Terrified

Reckon I'll give Maple the explanation she wants.

"It's complicated, Maple. Y'all gotta promise me this is off the record. No articles, okay?"

I take a deep breath and look around, making sure no one's within earshot.

"I...I kissed Miss Abigail yesterday."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 5/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed


I giggle in joy, secret love is always the best scoop. "Well, well how did she react? And don't worry I won't spoil it for you with print."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 1 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Terrified

"She said we'd have to talk about it and that I might be in terrible danger. I think she might mean those men that attacked us."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 5/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed

"Oh oh! You should run away and elope! I know a place where no one could find you." Shameimaru would be so pleased if I brought her a pair as interesting as Polly and Abigail. I rub my mouth to hide my drooling from thinking about the reward.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 1 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Terrified

I gasp and wave my hands out at Maple in disbelief. "Elope?! Shucks, Maple, we can't do that! We're too young! Where in the heck would we even go?!"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 5/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed

"My place!" I grin. "Well the place I lived at before I moved into town is the most secure. The person who got me into journalism lives there. She's such a great person. Smart, funny, nice. She took really good care of me while I was there. I still send her issues of my paper." I don't realize the goofy smile I have gushing over Shameimaru.

offering advice, lay low in the faerealm vaguely described place

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 1 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Terrified

"Well....I'd hafta talk about it with Miss Abigail...Layin' low might be a good idea fet th' botha us."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 1/4 XP 4/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Suspicious
Location: Revival Tent

I barely even notice Jeanette flinch as the stares of the congregation go on and on. Just when I think that they're dying down, Polly yells defensively. I can feel stares crawling all over my skin.

Everyone knows. Everyone knows. I'm a hypocrite. I won't be able to show my face in this town again.

I clutch my stomach, which is roiling. I feel dizzy, and lightheaded. I need to be away from all these eyes. "Excuse me," I mutter, "This talk makes me feel... ill." I slide past Jeanette and flee the tent, running towards my boarding house.

Run Away: 2d6+1 12

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Polly, Maple you spot Mrs. Abigail calmly leave the tent, and then, when she thinks no one is watching, hurry off towards her home.

Abigail, so have you decided to leave town for good? How would Polly deal with that?
Who in town would think still thinks you're a good person, even IF they heard what happened between you and Polly?

Inside the tent, the discussion dies down a bit, and the social begins.

Serena, the two of your gang who haven't disappeared are waiting at the back of the tent, watching their marks. But, without warning, Ramirez appears at your elbow. He's got an almost manic grin on his face as he says, in his thick accent, "Heya, Miss Serena! You having a good time this morning? I know I am. That was quite a powerful sermon, no?"

The Doc gives you an inscrutable smile, saying, "See? I told you one of your friends saw the light."

What do you do?

James, Before you can follow after Miss Maple or anything, Miss Emmaline takes you by the arm and leads you to the table with the cobbler she made. Is it any good? While she's spooning another bit onto your plate, she grins at you, saying, "They may not have caught you hedging, but you can't put anything past me." Confusion spreads on her face as she says, "So, why are you so ambivalent on the subject? Don't worry. I won't tell anyone."

What do you do?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at Jul 23, 2015 around 01:36

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 0/5, Conditions: Hiding Something, Terrified

I just sort of...stare. First at Ramirez's weird grin, then at the Doc's odd smirk, and finally at Jemma, who told me Ramirez was fine.

This...wasn't fine. Ramirez was a superstitious pessimist, not a born-again nut. I couldn't use a born-again nut, especially since we were planning on robbing the revival tent! Ignoring Doc's comment, that obviously implied he did something to one of my hombres, which meant that Doc was getting dead later for sure, I offered Ramirez a wan smile and kind of nodded. "Oh uh...si..." I mean, Miss Serena? From Ramirez? No, that wasn't him. I mean, I've seen some weird poo poo out in the west, but it was like someone scooped out my hombre's brains and replaced it with someone else's. "Yeah, it was a real good sermon. Uhm, hey, I wanted to ask you a question last night, you mind taking a walk with me?" I shot a glance at Jemma to let her know she was definitely supposed to come along too, because I had words for her, too. I also nodded at Catherine and Garcia - they should follow after a minute or so, just in case things went really weird.

No, I didn't like this at all. Still, everybody was still uhm, agreeing, even if Ramirez was way too enthused. Thank Christ I brought a gun. I nodded to the outside of the tent and headed that way, Ramirez and Jemma following behind me. We walked a bit off, out of earshot of everyone in the drat meeting, but I still kept my voice low.

"Ok what in the gently caress is up with you? First of all you took my bullets and I got in a gunfight! Second of all you ditched your tail!" I growled at Ramirez and pointed at Jemma. "Third of all this morning you show up acting like a loving loon - so I wanna know what is going on? You're not normally this unreliable - so you better start giving me answers, comprende?!"

Without waiting for him to answer I shot a glance at Jemma. "And you! If you want to be part of this outfit you better shape the gently caress up! Telling me he's just occupied isn't acceptable when he's acting this loving out of sorts! You have to know something happened so you better loving explain one-hundred loving percent from now on, you get that!?" I glare. "Dressing me up like you don't make me soft so don't think you can push me, Jemma." I glance at Ramirez. "Either loving one of you, got it!?" My hand was on my thigh, partly because it loving throbbed from my stomping out here but mostly because that's where I had my pistol strapped and I was quietly grabbing it, ready to pull it out of the concealed holster and blast my way out of this drat skirt if I needed to.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at Jul 23, 2015 around 16:35

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2 | Cold -1. | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Suspicious
Location: The Revival Tent

"You won't tell anyone? What, because I'm not already falling down on my knees to marry you, it clearly must be because I prefer the company of men?"

Krysmbot Jolinaxas, 9-1 = 8. Dropping our strings on each other.

The cobbler is... well, it isn't bad, all things considered. Not that that stops me from putting the plate down when she brings up what I said.

"You know why. I don't truck with what is or isn't a sin - if you've been around you know I don't usually speak up at these things. But Miss Maple, even if she's right, said something that some folks might take some issue with. So I spoke up to help her out. I'll admit, I thought it might backfire, given how I carried myself last night - but with the exception of you, it appears that most of 'em are at least satisfied. They might be churchgoing people, but they're not upright, decent people. Even if you may not think there's a distinction to be made, there."

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at Jul 23, 2015 around 20:22

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 5/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed

"There she is! Want give her the escape plan yourself? Only a bit of time until everyone forgets. I'll brew up some scandal so they all forget. Can't have my human interest pieces drying up." I wink at Polly. "I only spent a week there, sort of."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



James, she wilts under your scathing words, trying to piece together a response. Finally, she manages to say, "I... I just wanted to know what you thought. I only said that so you wouldn't think I'd go blabbing about it to others. I didn't... I wouldn't have thought..." She shakes her head and turns away, walking speedily towards the tent's exit.

But, you've got a few nasty looks from the other churchgoers. What do you do?

Serena, Jemma looks just as confused as you with how Ramirez is acting. But when you turn your anger on her, her eyes grow wide with fear, and she shakes her head frantically, saying, "No, no! I left him with Patrica! She owed me a favor, so she distracted him for me. I just wanted to come back and spend time with you! I just figured he was spending the night with her. But she wouldn't do nothing like this!"

Ramirez scoffs, saying, "Spend the night with her? You must have me mistaken for someone else. I'm not wed to the woman, you see." He turns back to you, Serena, saying, "Although, I am sorry that I wasn't able to help you in your scuffle. If I'd known you needed my help, I would have, of course, been there. I was..." He frowns, stopping to think harder. He repeats the phrase "I was" a few times as he tries to think what happened yesterday, before shaking his head in frustration and saying, "I'm sorry, Miss Serena. All I can remember of yesterday is walking off with Jemma. Then things get fuzzy. Next thing I know, I woke up in one of the rooms at Miss Bella's this morning. Then, I got ready for the revival meeting."

Jemma's just staring at him, mouth agape.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2 | Cold -1. | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Suspicious
Location: The Revival Tent

Oh, for the love of...

"Miss Hardison, just - wait a second!"

If she's that mad at me, who knows what sort of damage she could do by telling people what I just told her. That's the last thing I need, these hayseeds getting all excited at the prospect of harassing a "heathen..."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 1/4 XP 4/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Suspicious
Location: Sal's Boarding House

Sal is attending church, God bless her, so there's no one to witness my shame as I slink into my room. I grab my suitcase from underneath my bed and start packing my meager belongings. This won't be the first time I've fled a town in a hurry, so I'm well prepared.

As I put in my white dress, however, I slow and pause. Logic says this is the right thing to do. The Pinkertons have found me. I won't be safe here anymore. And my reputation here is worthless now. Those few people who haven't heard the rumors -- The Good Doctor, I pray, is still ignorant -- will hear them soon. I'll never not be looked at as a... as a pervert. Everywhere I go, people will laugh at me behind my back. Or to my face.

But Polly... she'll stay. She'll have to live with it. I sit down on the bed. Can I really just abandon her? In a way it might be good for her. It will hurt, at first, but without me as a temptation, she might turn to boys her own age, and live a normal life.

For some reason, that doesn't feel right.

Or I could... ask Polly to go with me. She, like me, doesn't have any parents. We could travel together to a new town. People might think we were sisters. If we were careful, we could.... No. That really would be sinful.

I stare down at the dress in my hand, unable to make up my mind. Then I put it aside and pick up a piece of paper and a fountain pen and begin to scribble a note for Mrs. Sal. She'll need an explanation for my absence. I sigh ruefully, as I bid farewell to my deposit. She, at least, won't think worse of me for my departure. Though she is a good and godly lady, i get the sense that she has experienced many ups and downs in life. She has hinted at burying more than one husband.

I write the first sentence, then hesitate. Part of me seems to be waiting for someone to stop me,as if God would send me a message.

Which, admittedly, he sometimes does.


Gaze into the abyss: 2d6-1 4 Probably not though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 1 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Terrified

"I'll go see...don't go far."

I walk on over to Miss Abigail's house and knock on the door. "Miss Abigail, can we talk? It's kinda important."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 1/4 XP 4/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Suspicious
Location: Sal's Boarding House

I stand up, hesitantly laying aside the pen. But I could no more forbid Polly entrance than I could grow wings and fly.

I let her in wordlessly. The room is small, containing only a bed, a chest of drawers that doubles as a stool, and a washbasin. There's no way to hide the fact that I've been packing.

I sit down on the bed. "I guess we do need to talk." I look down at my hands. "I'm sorry I drew you into my troubles."

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 0/5, Conditions: Hiding Something, Terrified

"You mean Patricia Ford? Patty Ford?!" One of the other saloon girls. I swear to God this is the wrong kind of mystery to be having. By now Catherine and Garcia had made their ways over, too. "Retoños polla..." I grumbled and rubbed my hands through my hair in thought. For a second Jemma looked concerned, probably because I was ruining the hairdo she did for me. But, well, whatever.

"Okay, okay, I can figure this tonterias out." I muse out loud, and then I point. First, at Catherine and Garcia. "You two, stay on your marcas, but don't let the other one get caught alone with that pedazo de mierda Doc. That means if you gotta decide between leaving your tail or making sure the other one is safe, pick the second. Preference is to make sure our amigo Julius is still with it, so if you gotta leave his wife to make more trouble, so loving be it. If you gotta disparar su salida if Doc or one of his loving flock decides to get too friendly, do it. Back the other one up, I'll deal with the fallout."

They nod. Not that I generally had a lot of mirth in my voice but if assholes were loving with my people, I would drown this entire loving lovely burg in blood. I glare at Ramirez.

"You, tableau rosa." I grab him by his collar. "You, me, and Jemma are gonna go visit Patty and see what the fifar happened last night. You better pray she's not acting funny, too. Comprende?" I pause. "And give me your sidearm, you're no good to me right now." I extend my hand for it. If he didn't give it I was sorely tempted to just shoot him in the leg and be done with it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 1 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Terrified

"No, Miss Abigail, it's my fault. I started this whole thing. But.....I think I can make it right. Or at least a bit better. Th' whole town's talkin' 'bout us, an' I think th' best thing we can do is lay low, maybe get out for a bit. Maple says she's got a doozy of a place we can go to. Of course, I understand if you don't wanna go with me, but I'll be goin' either way..."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 1/4 XP 4/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Suspicious
Location: Sal's Boarding House

I gape at Polly. I'd just been steeling myself to say goodbye to her, and then she offers up this. "Maple?" I say stupidly. "The nosy girl?"

In a way, this would actually make things worse; disappearing together would do nothing to stop the rumors spreading around town, and, in fact, would only confirm the worst in most people's minds. But in another way, it was brilliant; the Pinkertons knew nothing about Maple and little about Polly. I they came after me and found me gone, they'd assume that I fled further west, as I'd done every other time they'd found me. This might throw them off my trail entirely, if the hiding place was good enough.

And it meant i could be with Polly.

That was dangerous thinking. The very fact that I was thinking like that showed how compromised I'd become by temptation. I was still coming to grips with the implications of the kiss, and what it meant; it hadn't been impure, but some of the feelings it had stirred in me had been very impure. My dreams last night had been vague and troubled and full of implications I didn't understand. They weren't dreams a proper married woman should have about anyone, let alone another woman. For my own sake, and for Polly's, I ought to resist the temptation. If I had an ounce of integrity, I should bid Polly goodbye and board the first coach headed for the Californias.

"I'll go with you," I say, taking Polly's hand. "When do we leave?"

I am so weak....


I close my eyes, then open them, still squeezing her hand. "And on the way, I'll tell you about my husband." And I start confessing.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at Jul 28, 2015 around 22:01

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Abigail and Polly, so Abigail. You're telling her everything? If not, what do you keep back?
Polly, she's pouring her heart out to you. Do you return the favor? Do you think she'd still care about you?

Maple, so, how much do you eavesdrop as you lead the way to your house? What do you overhear that you horribly misunderstand?

James, as you go after Emmaline, you catch a good portion of Serena's rant to her lackeys. Including the part where she hands out marks.
That's... worrisome. Also, Miss Emmaline turns around to hear what you have to say, while you see Abigail, Polly, and Maple headed off towards Maple's house.

Serena you spot Abigail, Polly, and Maple headed out of town towards Maple's house, and James probably got an earful of what you were talking about.
Still, at least the rest of your gang is compliant. Even if they had them, Catherine and Garcia are both too spooked by Ramirez to put up any protests. Ramirez thinks for a second and hands his gun to Garcia instead of you, saying, "I don't think that a fine young lady like yourself should be playing around with guns. But if you don't want me to have it, I'm more than happy to hand it over to Mr. Garcia." Garcia takes the gun, wordlessly, and then looks at you, confusion clear on his face.

Jemma, for her part, grabs onto Ramirez's arm and hangs on it like a proper lady, saying, "Oh, Mr. Ramirez, I'm just ever so worried about my friend. Can't we go and check on her? It would mean so much to me." She then takes a deep breath and leans forward enough to give Ramirez a good view of her cleavage. Ramirez is flustered for a moment, but nods in agreement. Jemma gives you a sidelong wink.
What do you do?

Scene ending next MC post

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2 | Cold -1. | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Suspicious
Location: The Revival Tent

Well, Serena's up to no good. Not exactly unexpected - she's strangely intimidating, for a lady. And apparently very suspicious of Doc. I certainly won't interfere with that. Maple's off with Abigail and Polly, though. Doesn't really seem like her usual crowd. But Emmeline's the biggest priority.

"Hold on. That... that didn't come out right. I'm sorry - it's just that I'm frustrated and feeling kind of boxed in, and well, you know how I feel about church. Emmeline, you're a kind soul. And very pretty - and I'm sure you'll make someone very happy someday. But you got to have figured by now that that man or woman won't be me. It's not fair to you or me for me to claim otherwise. My heart is simply elsewhere. You understand that, right? I'm not trying to be mean about it or anything. But you haven't exactly been receptive to me trying to let you down in a subtler fashion. Not to mention, my parents, who adore you, have probably been giving you some mixed messages."

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at Jul 30, 2015 around 21:13

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 1/4 XP 4/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Suspicious
Location: Sal's Boarding House

Once I start talking, I can't stop; I tell her everything. My husband, my escape, the Pinkertons. There's little I've done that I'm ashamed of, and it feels good to confide in someone. I even tell her about my... special circumstances. The sang réal.

"You know the Bible? You know the Begats? Well, you know of the Begats; no one ever bothers to death them all. Well, I'm a Begat. The special bloodline, from Adam to Abraham to David to Joseph and Mary, prepared for centuries to herald the birth of Our Lord, did not end with him. The bible contains many miracles, but none miraculous enough to prevent a husband desiring to lie with his bride; they had other children, some of whom became apostles and martyrs and others who had children of their own, and I am descended from them." I sigh. "Which all sounds much grander than it is. Most of my ancestors were perfectly normal people. A few of them had prophetic dreams, or knew things they ought not to know, or were touched by a certain amount of... grace. It seems to fade as they grow older and the world wears us down."

I look down at my hands. "That's why I know what we did wasn't sinful. Because I would know."

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 0/5, Conditions: Hiding Something, Terrified

I'm tempted to roll my eyes at Jemma's antics, but they served a purpose, I guess. At least Ramirez was gonna fall in line.

I just had to hope nothing bad happened to Catherine or Garcia in the meantime. I'd rather hear bullets than have to deal with more born-again bandidos.

Anyway, who cared what James heard - if he knew what was good for him he'd forget he heard it. I don't think I needed to say anything about it to him, especially after seeing what I was capable of yesterday. I'd be more worried about Abigail and Polly going off with Maple, but, well, I had my own problems right now and whatever was going on with Abigail and her girlfriends was nothing I cared about, so long as she wasn't getting kidnapped or whatever. We were headed for Patricia, and hopefully, we'd find her still herself and not acting all weird. I just cursed under my breath that this was such a huge distraction, but...whatever.

Walking in the saloon normally in this sort of outfit would have been a no-sell, for sure, especially since I was finally getting the gapes and glances that the saloon girls normally got, but I was too focused to care. I marched my way over to Patty, if she was working the room, or up to her door upstairs if she wasn't, and knocked on it, hard. Either way, my words were gonna be the same for her.

"You better not be loco, Patty. I need to talk to you!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 1 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Terrified

"Well, Miss Abigail, I think if yer bein' honest with me, I should be honest with you."

I take her hand and close my eyes, allowing her hand to pass through mine.

"I'm dead, Miss Abigail."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 1/4 XP 4/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Suspicious
Location: Sal's Boarding House


There's this sudden, icy sensation deep inside my viscera as I watch my hand pass cleanly through Polly's. It feels like cupping a handful of fog. Unable to help myself, I pass a hand through her once or twice.

I don't know what to say. "That's impossible!" seems abjectly stupid, under the circumstances. And, in fact, it's not impossible. There's at least one very famous precedent.

"You've been resurrected," I breathe. So there really is life after death. The ice melts in a rush of euphoria, as my faith is vindicated. "How? Why? Did you... did you see anyone on the other side?" I try to seize her hand and fail again. "I have so many questions!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 1 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Terrified

"That's the thing, Miss Abigail. I....never went to th' other side. I stayed here fer some reason. Y'all remember when I was kidnapped by those bandits? Well, they killed me dead, but I'm still here. I see people like me who never moved on, with unfinished business...it's not a good life."

If you can even call it life!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed

Well well. Abigail is married to some sort of demon I suppose. And Polly redefines stubbornness. 'Course everyone knows ghosts stay because of a grudge. She's too nice for it to be on a conscious level I suppose. But blood begets blood as they say. But Mrs. Temple sure has a choice description of her circumstances. Her betrothed almost sounds like something like Shameimaru, with a poor sense of humor mind you. I'd very much like to meet such a creature, to satisfy my intellectual cravings. This'll make thing's easy, by golly. I was a bit nervous 'bout 'splainin' Shameimaru to them. But since they already know about inhuman folks that'll make this a whole lot easier. 'Course I should have worried about that before I presented the idea but I know those two will provide some excitement for Shameimaru. And she can just reverse the tep-temporal disruption thing and make their short visit buy them a few days. Opposite what happened with me with my week long dog's age. At least I think she can do something like that. Something close enough I know for sure. Eitherway I know it's going to be worth and she'll be mighty pleased with me.

I grin and pass through Polly. "Quit yer dawdling! I want you to meet the person who got me into journalism. She'll get a hoot outta both of ye."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 1 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Terrified

I shiver as Maple passes through me.

"Maple! Y'all gotta ask 'fore you do stuff like that!"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed


"Well 'scuse me. Just trying to push you forward. 'Suppose I'll meet you there then.". I skipped down to my house in view. I pick up the flaming joy from my fireplace and whisper to it, " Shameimaru, Shameimaru! I have big news! I have two guests who would visit you."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.


[quote="Old Kentucky Shark" post="448602847"]

Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 1/4 XP 4/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Suspicious
Location: Walking

I gasp as maple moves through Polly. Even with the previous example, i wasn't really prepared for that;. And then I realize, belatedly, and with a sinking feeling, that she must have overheard much of our conversation or, more likely, already knew some of it. What have I inadvertently revealed? To some sort of half-penny reporter?

"Polly," I whisper, "Can we trust her?" And then another thought strikes me. "You spoke of unfinished business... What was it?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Maple, as you whisper into the flame, Shameimaru laughs from behind you, already sitting in your chair. She's dressed up a member of an Indian tribe (Probably? You're not sure what they normally really looked like, but you're pretty sure that the feathers weren't supposed to change colors) that can't be found anywhere around these parts anymore. She gives you a pat on the head and even a little scritch behind the ears as she looks at your guests.

"Well, Mable dear, I knew I chose well when I took you in. Just look at those two lovely girls out there. I could just eat them up." You see a brief flash of pointed teeth but it's gone as quickly as they appear. She adds, "But where would the fun be in that? No, I'm more than willing to take them back. But, alas, I don't make ALL the rules. They'll need to pay their way, just like you did. Something meaningful... something that will be missed. From someone else, of course. And one for each of them. But, in the meantime, it looks like they're almost here, so why don't you make the introductions?"

Abigail and Polly, what about her unsettled you the most about Maple's patron? What was oddly comforting?
How do you feel about the idea of leaving town now that you know what it's going to cost?

Serena, thankfully, Patty is her normal self. So normal that she can't help but give you grief over your outfit. At least until she sees the state that Ramirez is in. Her joke dies in her throat as she sees the state that Ramirez isi in. She seems to be taking it personally, too. "Was I so bad that he had to go find religion after?"

Once you calm her down, she says that he ran out after he heard some gunshots, but she didn't see what happened to him after he left the room.

James, you can almost hear Miss Emmaline's heart break. She looks out after Miss Maple, Abigail, and Polly, and says in a quiet voice, "O-oh. I see. I just... I thought... Nevermind." At that she whirls around and runs down the alley, away from the tent.

The next day
What brings each of you into town today?

Abigail, it's the oddest thing, really. You weren't sure about coming back into town, but no one seems ready to stone you or anything. You do get a few well-meaning questions from the good Doc's wife, but that's only about the two men who accosted you earlier that week. How do you explain that to her?

Polly, that night, you get a vision from the old Indian ghost that you promised to help out. He's losing patience and he might have to try and take care of things himself if you don't get to work.
And there's going to be collateral damage if he has to take care of it.

In the meantime, while you're walking down main street, Mr. Whithouse stops you, saying, "Apologies I haven't had the time to speak with you, but things have been quite hectic the last few days. Anyway, will I be able to expect you later today so we can negotiate the terms on the mortgage?"

Serena, while the others are more than able to keep up their tails, what do you have Ramirez do in the meantime?

Anyway, whatever's got you going today, you end up talking with Michael O'Donnell. The poor kid is still looking for whoever killed his Pa, but even he's starting to realize that detective work ain't exactly in his skill set. He asks, "Look, I know you, uh, hang out with a rougher crowd. You got any inklin' about who mighta done it?"

What do you do?

James, you haven't seen hide nor hair of Miss Emmaline since you spoke with her, which, considering she lives just down the street from the hotel, is kinda impressive. Your parents haven't seemed to have heard, either, and they're willing to brush off the fiasco of the dinner the previous night due to the gunfight that was going on. So, all things told, you've got a lot of time to yourself until this evening. And there's Miss Maple walking down the street right now!

What do you do?

Maple, so, while Polly and Abigail figure out what they're doing, you've got more stories to write.
Who have you given advice to this week? Was it well intended or simple meant to spice things up?

New Scene!

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Suspicious
Location: Town

I do wonder what she "just thought," but it's too late. I don't consider myself a cruel person, but I can't help but feel that way, especially when I get to the night's work and the almanac she gave me sits there on top of the inventory ledger behind the bar, like it's glaring at me. Still - I didn't know how else to deal with her. Leading her along when I don't care for her would be even worse, right?

==========

Not much time to think about it, today. Pa's had me all over town inquiring about tabs. Note - I didn't say collecting them - that would make us seem miserly. Besides, if I tried to collect a debt from anyone they'd just box my ears and tell me to send my father. And Mr. Hardison isn't exactly a frequenter of establishments like ours, so I manage to avoid that particular unpleasantness.

But at least Maple's back in town, which means that whatever she got up to with Miss Temple and Miss Crawford yesterday has passed. I cross the thoroughfare, tucking the little debit slips back into the ledger to stow under an arm while I tip my hat.

"Morning, Miss Camime. I hope today finds you well - I can see that you left the revival yesterday in quite a hurry. Something I wish I had the liberty to do, to be honest. I take it Miss Crawford and Miss Temple had their own errands?"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 2/5, Conditions: Hiding Something, Terrified

I will tell you one thing, I wasn't about to spend another day in a corset and skirts. A bit too...chafing for me, comprende? So over Jemma's protests the next morning I washed the makeup off and let my hair down. Though, I asked Ning (not Patty cuz the girl had proven to be able to hold him about as well as a wicker basket holds water) to bring Ramirez upstairs to my room before I finished getting dressed.

Ok it was kind of a jerk move because no way was I going to try and seduce the boy, but he's seen me and Catherine on the trail plenty of times; privacy ain't really an option out there, so I want to gauge how much of a prude he's suddenly been turned into.

As such, when he came in - kept in the room via Ning coming in behind him and standing in the doorway, I was stuffing myself into my trousers carefully, avoiding the hole in my leg best I could. His immediate turning around, only to be met with a face full of Ning's purdy cleavage made him turn beat red.

"Don't be a stick in the mud cabrone, how much have you seen on the trail, eh?" I poked at him. "Take a loving seat, I want to think about what to do with you." Stupidly, he waited until I had buttoned up. Madre di dios did they do a number on him or what?

Slipping a shirt over my shoulders, too, I stooped down in front of him and stared at him. He was still averting his eyes, so I used a finger on his chin to make him look at me. "Look, Ramirez, we've been through too much poo poo together for you to be getting all soft now. The four of us - you and me, ugly ol' Garcia and our little Kitty Cat, have taken too many bullets for each other, so I know you gotta be in there still somewhere." Okay okay, this was sappy, sure, and I'm sure Jemma and Ning noticed, but whatever, if they knew what was good for them they'd keep their lips shut. "So we're gonna play a game, right here. I'm gonna tell you a story about something we all did before this shithole town, and then you're gonna think real hard about who you were, and who I need you to be, and you're gonna tell me which fuckers did this to you, what those fuckers did, and anything else I might need to know to fix it and make them pay for messing your head up. This isn't an optional thing, you're going to do it, and I know you're going to because I'm asking real nice, and you know that means I'm being serious, somewhere in that soft little skull of yours. Okay?" Shut up. "I want you to jump in at anytime, whenever you remember this story, or when you can push your way through and let me know what the hell happened to you. No one messes with mine and gets away with it, so I won't let them get away with it, you know that right?"

So I stood up, and I talked. I talked about Nunez and the bloodbath in the Mojave - my biggest fuckup, the single biggest score that bonded the four of us still living together. The day that Garcia earned the ugly motherfucker connotation, the day Ramirez started believing in ghosts and the day Cat decided sarcasm was better, saner, than being serious. My nightmare. In the back of my head Nunez was still screaming as the vultures ripped open his head to get at his eyes. But it was real. Really real. A couple hours of brainwashing wasn't going to wash that poo poo out of Ramirez's head, right?

Trying to use this as a gaze to get Ramirez to tell me what happened to him.

2d6-1: 6 [2d6=3, 4] gently caress YOU orokos.

Xp for dark.


And...he never said anything. Anything useful anyway. He looked at me like the story didn't mean anything to him, and I was almost in tears. Jemma and Ning just stared, Jemma especially unsure of what to do. I finished getting dressed in silence. I took my own gun - I had made sure it was loaded this time - and I handed the Pinkerton's pistol to Ning. "Don't let him leave this room until I get back." I said grimly to her, and I dragged Jemma out with me, sticking my arms into my duster as I stormed off down the street.

Of course this whole garbage John Law persona I had adopted meant even when I had murder in my eyes I was going to get pestered - because yeah I was going to go have a talk with the Doc...using my six shooter, and he'd be singing a red loving song if he didn't fix what he did to my man's head - and Michael O'Donnell of all loving people wanted to know if I knew anything about the murder.

I just frowned at him. "Look, sometimes people get taken away from us before we're ready. And it's usually other people who do it. We normally don't get the who's and the why's, comprende? My advice to you is move the gently caress on. You're still alive, make what you can of your life, cuz it's ugly and it's short, and one day you'll have more losses than gains, got it?"

Shutting down Michael, too.

2d6+1: 7 [2d6=5, 1]

Jesus, barely. Effing orokos. I'll trade conditions with him. Give him "Out of his Depth".

Take xp for Cold, too.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at Aug 13, 2015 around 18:55

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 1/4 XP 4/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Suspicious
Location: Town

Everything in my head is spinning as I make my way back to town. So much of last night is a fuzzy blur, starting from the moment we left sight of the streets of Serendipity. It was as if the landscape blurred around us and we traveled to another world, like some far fetched penny dreadful novel. And Maple's... friend. I never expected her to be so... foreign. Standing in her presence, I've never felt so remote from the Lord. It was as if different rules applied. But that's, of course, nonsense, if not blasphemy. I think i must have imagined some of the things that happened. It's simply that she spoke so circuitously, so obliquely, that it turned my head. Riddles of the Orient indeed.

And the most disconcerting moment of all came when she directed Polly and I to our room. Singular. That was most awkward.

Still, one thing is clear; this woman expects some sort of payment for her charity. If I take her meaning correctly, she wants me to steal something?

I don't think I can do that. That would justify every bad thing the townsfolk think about me. Maybe there's another way?

I'm so distracted, I can barely follow Mrs. Armstrong's inquiries. Bless her, she's concerned for my well being. "They were dangerous men," I answer her, choosing my words carefully. I don't wish to lie. "They wanted to kidnap me." I hesitate, then add, "My husband is a very wealthy man, and would pay a great deal to ransom me." There. Two statements, both true. I leave to her the best way to put them together. "And how is Dr. Armstrong feeling today?" I add, just to get the topic of conversation off of me.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Polly talking to Mr. Whithouse. Now, what did that rogue want again? Suddenly, i remember that we had unfinished business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed

I'm really excited about my friends visiting Shameimaru. Oh oh I know they were so impressed with her splendor. I hope they pay the toll soon and Shameimaru tells me everything of their adventure on the other side. Otherwise it's been rather dull. I over heard the banker complaining about men something something his wife. What's his name. It's in my notes... So the banker doesn't want men looking at his wife. Soes I tell him he needs to take that up with his wife not get in a kerfuffle over her. Looking fer trouble over a woman only ever gets you the trouble. 'Course he already has the woman so why take the trouble. Just have her set boundaries. Sure it was good honest advice but I'm keepin an eye on him for when he fucks it up and her black eye ends up on my front page. Sorry misses.

James snaps me out of my thought. "Hmm, hmm? Oh yes, yes. I introduced them to someone to help them with some trouble they've stumbled into."

  • Locked thread