Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Last month, we learned that all video game programmers and designers start work on level one and end work on the final boss. This month, our journey into the abyss continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes was inarguably better than the original Metal Gear Solid.

This is wrong because Bond-esque Chinese stereotypes are great and should be in more games. Inarguable my rear end.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sleeveless posted:

I haven't really been following the Star Citizen bullshit too closely as of late but they just announced that the FPS portion of the game has been "delayed indefinitely". :toot:

Due to "technical and gameplay-related issues." Technically there is no gameplay because they're all so hosed up on weed and cocaine they forgot about the whole "making a game" thing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Link your kickstarter I'm in

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Rocket League, some Telltale back catalog, Captain Toad, might get to Witcher 3

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think it's dumb it's just kind of a big mess. And yeah, I find myself returning to the SNES games way more than I ever do any of the others. Those loving FMVs are awful.

A big part of the SNES ones and other games from the era like Chronotrigger and Mario RPG is you can be like "I'mma go play this FF4" and go just burn through it in 3-4 nights because they're relatively short and sweet.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Ori needs to be ported to a handheld so I can play it in bed like the loaf of lazy I am. No I'm not buying a shield (again)

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

program666 posted:

if it's on the ps4 you might be able to stream it to a Vita right?

E: also maybe pandora + steam streaming might be a thing that exists

It got published by MS so it's almost certainly not coming to PS4, or now that I think about it, 3DS or Vita, at least anytime soon. I'll just have to settle with playing it on PC at some point.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
POG 25th Anniversary who actually plays the game edition

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
why is cardboard box a wearing a bad purple wig and a urnicorn horn

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
That's a good one

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Axiom Verge is odd in that you can get like 15 weapons but after the 3rd or 4th one, numerous weapons can kill everything on the screen pretty quickly making it pointless.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sleeveless posted:

I used to kind of hate Paul Robertson but now that he's willing to put his animation skills to work for people who can actually write stories and make characters I like him a lot more.

The episode of Gravity Falls where one of the characters falls in love with an evil sentient Japanese dating sim was amazing and he did all of the sprite animation for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqef_yF-VAI

He did that great psychedelic Simpsons intro too. I like all his stand-alone stuff but the kid show animation he's doing now is pretty damned amazing. I just wish he could get attached to a better game, maybe an actual Metal Slug reboot.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 17, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
25 orders of captain crunch balls please this is where i order right

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

hubris.height posted:

i tried these and they are lot less sugar blasted than i hoped

:agreed: I actually had some last night and they were indeed somehow disappointing even for how stupid ridiculous they sounded. Also they discontinued the diablo sauce that people have been talking about so I never got to try it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It is Texas after all, home of not-actually-Mexican Mexican food.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Home of the ke-sah-dill-er

The dill is standard American dumb but the "er" is uniquely texan dumb

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
what even are those

precision posted:

smh at everyone who doesn't live in san diego

in re: burritos

carne asada fries and san diego burritos are literally culinary ambrosia

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
NMS is basically a study in the concept that constraints paradoxically give people more freedom because the negative space is somehow comforting and inspiring. It is the "Write 10,000 words about anything you want!" novella challenge. The Chili's kid's menu with every color crayon available and no images to fill-in, if you will.

precision posted:

i have been hyped for no man's sky based on my realistic expectations, to wit:

- i will be able to fly to different planets and explore them
- 65daysofstatic does the soundtrack

lol @ anyone who didn't realize it's just an ambitious indie game, because if you thought it was anything other than a weed smoking screen saver time killer you clearly didn't do any research at all

Now that you say that, maybe it will fulfill my desire for a new Noby Noby Boy-like on nextgen. Don't get my damned hopes up, precision...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

precision posted:

it's like that Steam post about Her Story where the guy goes "how do i know when i've beat the game" and someone responds "when you feel satisfied" and the guy says "how do i know when i'm satisfied"

That's more like the out-of-touch tv exec explaining that a sitcom without a laugh track won't do well because people won't know what's supposed to be funny.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Stux posted:

theres no backtracking. all theyve ever shown fromt he word go is a big procedurally generated universe that u explore. thats what i want to play. i want a giant proteus. if u r expecting anything else u havnt paid attention sorry.,

And to be fair, people have worried since release announcement how well the game would actually play and whether the procedurally generated content would make for meaningfully different content. We just haven't seen a whole lot of evidence to the contrary.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
the problem with 360 emulation on the bone is, if it is to be believed, it has the wrong kind of ram, hth

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Cardboard Box A posted:

So Half Life 3 development is Valve's rubber room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50lSIaSR3zc&hd=1

The ME3 logic is flawed. I get that Valve might think it but there are other big games with heavy expectations that have come out and not earned the amount of vitriol that ME3 did. It wasn't a vocal minority like with Bioshock Infinite or DA:I. The ending was universally panned. And that poo poo was paired with Sim City, another extremely hyped-up universally panned game. EA earned their scorn from that couple of years.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

VideoGames posted:

Halo is the only video game I have played where I have not found anything about it to like.

I have enjoyed at least some small thing of every other game I've played. It is strange

It had local coop, online splitscreen and shared vehicles. poo poo was especially fun in Halo 3. If I didn't have friends I guess I would have thought it was lovely though

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

VideoGames posted:

Never played halo 3 because 1 was so boring. Tried to multiplayer it but it was just so boring and dull. I had been playing doom and quake for ages in LANs at that time so it offered nothing for me

So had I, got into UT99 and CS pretty hard too. Honestly coop vehicles with friends was just so fun it made the game, though the gunplay was p decent too. There is a place in my heart for all videogames, videogames

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Though, if I'm being honest, I had a poo poo ton more fun with Myth/Myth2 multi way back. Best Bungie multiplayer game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
everybody chill out an just shop at junes

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
FF1 was fun when there was literally only like Dragon Warrior as competition on NES. The moment FF5 was playable outside Japan it was no longer relevant at all though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Mak0rz posted:

Calling it: shuriken weapon where you place the tablet on your palm and use a forward flicking gesture on the screen to fire it.

They have to ruin it somehow, might as well be an atrocity on that scale.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
All I had was that kid who wanted to be a vampire and played too much Ultima Online and if anyone was gonna shoot up the place, I figured it would be him. Feel like I missed out on all the horrific Pokemon/Mario/Final Fantasy slashfic.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
difinitive defiantly dildoing zelda

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Fez was cool and I would have played the hell out of of a Fez 2 regardless of whether or not Phil Fish is a douche (he is)

The Wii U is also pretty neat and if it wasn't for the slow interface and lack of third party games, I would more readily recommend it to friends.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Microsoft is going out of business because they spent all their money on Minecraft and forgot to build any new computers this year.

Microsoft is "pivoting" into not dumping into money pits because it wasn't working so great the last few years, or so Nadella would have people believe. That company is so internally fractured, who the gently caress knows.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

FactsAreUseless posted:

Everyone at Microsoft has a head cold and does not feel well.

this one actually happened

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Xbox 365 to match recent successful Office branding.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
My dream maker machine is still basically a vita with two sets of triggers that can do everything from mame up to ppsspp and dolphin

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 29, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Great Joe posted:

So, a more powerful JXD S5110b?

A far more powerful one, but basically yeah. An OLED screen wouldn't hurt either but is not necessary. A very high density LCD display would do the job.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Zombies' Downfall posted:

2) Most people have no idea how expensive videogames can be to make, and how surprisingly easy it is to spend a million dollars. Any time I think about this I'm reminded of the Skullgirls crowdfunding campaign and how nerds who knew absolutely nothing about animation and game development were making conspiratorial cost breakdowns for how the dev team were TOTALLY ripping people off. They weren't.

This is a big one. Even if it's a tiny studio of 2 people working on a game for 2 years, you're still talking about ~250k USD just to pay those two people an decent game dev wage (60-65k/year). That doesn't include all the contracting they're probably going to have to do to get assets done in that time frame. Now take a look at most kickstarters and you realize they're usually closer to 5-10 man teams and it makes sense why they need 1.5-3mil to complete their two year projects. When failed project management leads to missed deadlines, some of the more established developers have had to use money pulled in from other non-kickstarter projects to finish the kickstarters.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I dunno about anyone else but I have no idea who or what you're actually mad at

Who is "you" and how are they "mad" at what? Not sure what this is addressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sleeveless posted:

Was one of the kickstarter stretch goals a time machine so you could go back to 2007 when Dropsy was still interesting and relevant and setting GBS on fire?

The animation is really cool

gently caress clowns though

• Locked thread